This year has been a series of countdowns it seems. And now it’s on again, a little over five weeks until departure for full-timing! There hasn’t been much to write about the past couple days. I’ve been busy with work and helping Julie move and sorting out our shared stuff and the storage locker. Not very interesting to read about, but still necessary for RVing.
One new bit of news, I’ve decided that I’ll be leaving on Friday 9/14. I’ll be driving about four hours that day, and then stopping at a campground somewhere in mid Georgia on my way up to SD, it’ll be either High Falls or Indian Springs State Park but we haven’t picked which one yet. The idea is to camp there through the end of the weekend with Julie – it’ll be my first true campground experience and we plan to treat it like a bit of a vacation, there will be hiking and swimming and campfires (drought permitting) for sure. Then Monday Julie heads back to Bluffton and I continue north west at a faster and less vacation-y pace.
I’ve figured out how to get the pictures off my iphone as of last night, yay! But the quality is poor and the video I’d like to post is showing sideways even though I was holding the phone right side up when filming. So it’ll be a bit yet before I get back to using my own pictures. They’re coming, I promise!
The video in question was from this afternoon. We had torrential rain overnight and I woke up to water in the closet. Just a day prior I’d applied PVC cement to what I thought was the leaking joint that was letting water that got into the gray water vent pipe (my cover for that vent on the roof isn’t well attached and in strong winds it’ll slide open) escape into the closet. It seems that I cemented the wrong thing, but on the bright side that joint should hold up for years to come!
I’m at a loss now to explain where the water could be coming from. It’s only leaked a total of three times in over three months which holds up with my theory that it only happens when wind manages to push the vent cover askew. When I first brought the Casita home I re-caulked around both vents on the roof because they looked horrible. I got up on the ladder after work and those seals still look really good so the water isn’t coming from there, perhaps from the little mini rivets that hold the vent in place? My ProFlex is dried up now, so I’ll need to run to Camping World tomorrow before work to get another tube of it to try sealing these little rivets off, maybe that’ll do the trick. If that doesn’t work, then I just move on to the next most likely cause until I get no more leak.
Sadder is the fact that my shiny new rivet leaked a little too. It wasn’t as bad as it use to be, just a bit of dampness. I think it’s because that rivet hole is at an angle so there is no way to get the rivet head and snap cap level to the surface of the roof. A little ProFlex should fix that problem as well.
And that sums it up. More exciting posts are ahead in the weeks to come, in the meantime you’ll just have to bear with me. Most things that are worth doing require some amount of monotonous and not very exciting work and right now I’m in one of those spots.
Image courtesy of angee09
Other Articles You Might Enjoy
Nothing too blog worthy to report this weekend. I went up to Charleston with Julie to visit friends who I haven’t seen in a year. It’s so lovely to get to travel back to places I’ve been before and catch up with people. Goodbyes can be tough, but when the next Hello comes there’s always…Read More
Hello all! This little post is just to inform you that my laptop is not working right now, so it might be a bit before regular blog updates continue. I myself am doing just fine, I just have no easy way to get online. Hopefully I’ll be able to get things sorted quickly, in the…Read More