Early Release

early-releaseI got about two nights of relief in the cabin, that’s all, before the next rough weather alerts started going out.

Today the increasingly familiar red banner of severe weather is parading across my screen as rain and strong winds buffet the already battered trees outside. This isn’t the usual high wind advisory, it’s a repeat of last weekend’s blizzard-force winds, luckily with warmer temperatures this time. At a steady 30-45 mph with gusts up to 70 mph (again) with on and off horizontal rain, there’s not much to do outside today.

There’s plenty to do inside though.

After today, the weekend is suppose to be more pleasant, then the rain comes back on Monday and transitions to snow on Tuesday. The Inn still doesn’t have power, and the return of freezing temperatures mean that my plumbing in the RV is going to be at risk again. Leaving on Wednesday if the snow takes a while to melt might be problematic.

What to do, what to do. I conferred with my superiors at the Lodge a couple days ago and after a couple false starts I came to the conclusion that there really is no viable place to park Cas nearby where I can keep him plugged in. So yesterday I told everyone that it was going to be my last day at work (it’s the end of the pay period), and I’d be leaving this weekend, 3 work days and 4-5 actual days ahead of schedule. They understood.

So I’ve been quite busy today, getting everything together in the cabin in preparation to take it back out to Cas. My plan is to hook Cas and Bertha together tomorrow morning when the rain and wind has stopped, then drive up behind the Lodge and carry things out. I might leave tomorrow, or I might wait until Sunday, depending on how long things take and what the forecast looks like.

I’ve also spent some time on Google maps this morning comparing it to wunderground.com. As expected, a quick trip further west into Wyoming to see Devil’s Tower and swinging south to pass through Denver before cutting into Kansas isn’t a wise decision for me as nighttime temperatures are expected to be near or below freezing. I will make it further west some day, and I’ll enjoy it a lot more not having to worry about winter weather.

That leaves me with south or east, and as I came up from the south along smaller highways and county roads to get here in the spring, I’m going east this time. One of my coworkers at the Lodge who left before me is from Sioux Falls so I’m hoping to catch her on my first night out and meet for dinner somewhere. The weather both nights in Sioux Falls is going to be milder than in the Badands, so no worries there.

Plans after that are very fluid. On my way to Kansas last fall I stayed in a couple different state parks in Missouri, I’m thinking this year I’ll try a couple in Kansas. Like usual I’ll be writing travelogue style posts once I get on the road with more details.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Leistikow Park, ND

September 29, 2017 |

The small town of Grafton, ND has but one campground, so while the sign out front says Leistikow Park Campground, everyone around here just calls in Grafton Campground. This is where I’m staying while working the beet harvest. It’s directly adjacent to Leistikow Park and is owned and managed by the city, so for the…

Read More

Lakeside View

April 9, 2013 |

This past weekend I drove up to Myrtle Beach for the wedding of two good friends of mine, John and Tai. Part of my stipulation for taking the job at Lowe’s last January was that I’d be able to get this specific weekend off. One of the great things about a mobile lifestyle is that…

Read More

Blizzard Weekend

October 8, 2013 |

Friday Shortly before 9 pm, the TV stops working. I think it must be snow accumulation on the dish. When the last blog post went up at 5:30 precipitation had just turned to snow and it was pretty light, it got much heavier after sundown. The lights flicker for a third time as I sit…

Read More


At IO I teach people how to ditch the status quo and travel full-time before retirement, and share stories of my adventures (and misadventures) to inspire future nomads and armchair travelers alike. Included at no additional charge: seizing your dreams, living boldly, and making a difference.


  1. Daphne on October 14, 2013 at 1:03 am

    Safe travels!
    Thanks for your posts!!!!
    Beautiful Pic too!

    • Becky on October 16, 2013 at 8:59 pm

      Thank you Daphne, glad you liked it. It’s amazing what a phone camera can do these days.

  2. Paul on October 12, 2013 at 7:47 pm

    Too bad you can’t come further West. Once you get over the Rockies the weather really settles out. Here in Oregon weather is mild and wind hasn’t been bad at all. Travel safe!

    • Becky on October 16, 2013 at 8:59 pm

      Yeah I have something to finish on the east coast before I really head out west for an extended stay. I’ve loved all I’ve read about OR from other RVers who’ve been there and I bet I’ll like it when I finally make it out there.

  3. Kathi & Michael Williams on October 12, 2013 at 4:41 pm

    PS: I’m pretty sure you must know of Boondockers.com, which creates a smooth way to stay a night or two in an RV-minded person’s homestead. Their map looks like it’s all across the country. We’re about to join Boondockers now that we have our teensy Aljo (17.5 ft) AND a Ford 150 to pull ‘er. Any experience with that or other such organizations?

    In far nor CA, the weather’s a crapshoot for about 8 months of the year, but summer and autumn are spectacular. We just had a cold snap with lowering snow levels, but I-5 is usually fine until deep winter. There are good live cams on all the passes. And now we can expect a few weeks of Indian summer, if it follows earlier year patterns.

    Safe travels!

    • Becky on October 16, 2013 at 8:57 pm

      Yep, I actually think I joined that site before they started charging a fee for it, but my free year might be over by now. With the way my travel days go right now – driving very long hours and only pulling over to sleep before repeating the next day – it doesn’t make sense to set up and inconvenience a person for just 10 or so hours max of being stopped.

      I’ll keep in mind what you said about northern CA and file it away for later use. 😉 Hope the next few weeks are as pleasant as you’re thinking they’ll be!

  4. Kathi & Michael Williams on October 12, 2013 at 3:44 pm

    Wow–come out west where things are reasonable! (though we have snow 2,000 ft above our house–yikes–time to head south!) Best wishes. Seriously, try CA and OR!.

    • Becky on October 16, 2013 at 8:54 pm

      Both too far away from east coast for this year, there’s something I need to do out that way before I can truly head ‘Out West’. But I will get out there eventually, and it’ll be awesome I’m sure.

  5. Reine on October 12, 2013 at 11:00 am

    I think you made a wise decision to leave early. You certainly don’t want to take a chance on more freezing temps without power. And the early departure will give you a time to enjoy the trip a bit more and get rested up. You know how demanding the Amazon gig is.

    We’re on a “rally around Texas” trip (four rallies spread over five weekends). It’s relaxing to be sleeping in Cassie with visits to state parks and hiking and biking between get togethers. Safe travels.

    • Becky on October 16, 2013 at 8:51 pm

      Thanks Reine and glad that you’re having a good time in TX.

      I’m actually going to have less time at Amazon this year than last, by about three weeks. Good for my free time but bad for my wallet, it’s all a set of scales with some good and some bad. 😛

  6. David on October 12, 2013 at 10:26 am

    Good luck and safe travels, Thanks for sharing your life’s adventures with us. I really enjoy reading them and envy your life style. Sounds like so much fun and relaxing than what I and most people have to live with. Take care.

    • Becky on October 12, 2013 at 10:51 am

      Thanks David. It’s got it’s ups and downs like any lifestyle. Like if I have to cut my mini vacation between here and Coffeyville short due to busted plumbing that’ll be a downer, it’s all part of the life, the good and the bad. For me though, the good has outweighed the bad.

      Okay, time to hitch Cas up and get everything loaded. WiFi went out at the lodge and cabins yesterday evening when the power cut out (again). Power came back after a half hour but WiFi is still down until someone can get in to reset it and none of us peons have the key. Which basically means you all might not hear from me again until I’m on the road. Take care!

  7. Kenny on October 12, 2013 at 9:03 am

    Have a safe trip down to Coffeyville we are here at Big Chief .
    Kenny recently posted..Wednesday Funny on ThursdayMy Profile

    • Becky on October 12, 2013 at 10:47 am

      I’ll be at Big Chief as well, see you in a week and a half Kenny.

  8. Dave on October 12, 2013 at 1:52 am

    Thanks for sharing your summer with us. Drive safe, and get down to a warmer climate….hope you don’t have any problems with your plumbing, that’s not fun (as we found out just recently ourselves). –Dave (GoingRvWay.com)
    Dave recently posted..Apple HillMy Profile

    • Becky on October 12, 2013 at 10:46 am

      I won’t even know if I have a problem until the first time I hook up to water again, could be interesting. Sorry to hear about your own water mishap, hope it’s all better now!

  9. Rob on October 11, 2013 at 11:59 pm

    It just so happens that we stayed at Lake Clinton State Park in Kansas a couple of days ago, nice place. We were just spending the night…. next time I’d like to explore for a day or two.

    Good luck on avoiding the weather on your travels!
    Rob recently posted..Adventureland workcamping reviewMy Profile

    • Becky on October 12, 2013 at 10:45 am

      Another vote for Clinton Lake, thanks Rob. 🙂

  10. David on October 11, 2013 at 10:17 pm

    I am glad you are getting out while the getting is good. I-29 is a good south bound route after you leave Sioux Falls. It will take you down the western border of Missouri.

    If you get to St. Joseph which is about 60 miles north of Kansas City I would have a recommendation for an overnight stop with full hookups.

    We were originally from St. Joseph before we retired and the first five months of full timing.

    Anything you need to know about that general area, feel free to ask.

    Have a safe trip and we will be watching.
    David recently posted..2013-10-08 – Air Conditioner Is FixedMy Profile

    • Becky on October 12, 2013 at 10:44 am

      Thanks David, I’ll keep that in mind. I might make it as far south as St. Joseph on the second night, not real sure yet. I talked with my friend and it looks like we’ll be meeting tomorrow night, so I’m hitting the road tomorrow.

  11. David Greybeard on October 11, 2013 at 7:58 pm

    If you pass near Lawrence, KS, I recommend the campground at the State Park at Clinton Lake. It’s right off the highway and right outside of town. Nice wooded hiking trails and they usually keep a clean showerhouse open year-round.
    If you’re just looking for a quick campsite for the night, almost every county in Kansas has a State Fishing Lake with completely free camping. No hook-ups, though. They’re usually pretty quiet, especially weeknights, mostly fishermen. I have run into some loud campers, but the fishing lakes are usually pretty heavily patrolled by the local sheriff.
    Temperatures here (Wichita) are 70s/50s. Next week, 60s/40s.
    Welcome back to my home state!

    • Becky on October 12, 2013 at 10:42 am

      Thanks David, I’ll keep Clinton Lake in mind, it’s one a visitor to the Badlands who was from Kansas recommended earlier in the season. And I hadn’t heard about the county lakes, I’ll keep that in mind too!

  12. Steve on October 11, 2013 at 6:12 pm

    Have safe travels to your next destination.

    • Becky on October 11, 2013 at 7:35 pm

      Thanks Steve. I peeked at your blog, hope your computer class goes well!

Enjoy what you just read? Have new blog posts delivered right to your inbox!

Your email is safe with me and you can unsubscribe anytime. :)

Something went wrong. Please check your entries and try again.