Skip to content

We’re All Human

were-all-human1Spring is definitely in the air here just outside of Atlanta, GA. It was hot and sunny on Saturday, storming by Monday, wind advisory on Tuesday, and that night we had a freeze warning. Now the days are warming up little by little again. This weekend looks like it is going to be nice for my first two days of “work”, I’m looking forward to it.

The campground here on the festival grounds continues to fill up as the days tick down to opening weekend and I have to say, I’ve never stayed anywhere quite like this before.

There are as many if not more tents than there are RVs, a fact I felt sorry about the past two nights with lows in the 30’s. Then again, I remember tent camping with lows in the 30’s back when I lived in Wisconsin, I hope they had a lot of layers. Most have tarps up over them, and often there are several tents per site. Friends sharing the fees, or business partners working together at one booth.

Those that have RVs are more in the range of Cas than I am use to seeing. Only four or five are 35+ feet, all except one or two look older, and a few look truly old, I can’t imagine that they don’t leak.

Folks walk around in all black. Or a mish-mash of bright colors. Piercings, tattoos, and dreds are not uncommon. I might be in the minority wearing jeans.

By now the picture I’m painting might be giving you a negative opinion of these people. I have to admit, when I first saw it I got a bit leery.

were-all-human2And then I felt bad for my snap judgement. When we travel to other countries, we expect the local population to be different and are often surprised at how many similarities we can find between our cultures. Within our own country, we expect everyone to be the same, and it’s the differences between us that stand out the most.

But those differences don’t erase the common ground if we’re willing to look for it. We all want to have a roof over our heads, be able to earn a living, feel safe. I often get asked if I feel safe as a single woman traveling alone, and the truth is that I do. Despite what the media says, most people are good. And I have met some of the nicest people while traveling, here included.

Just because someone has less money or chooses to dress differently, it does not make them a bad person. The campground here gets quiet after dark, there are no loud drunken parties. Trash is thrown away in the proper place, and I have yet to feel uncomfortable around my fellow campers.

In the end we’re all human, and I still need to keep reminding myself of that. If we’d just treat each other with a little more respect despite the superfluous differences the world would be a better place.

**EDIT 4/18** Pictures are now up, yay!

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Homecoming

February 12, 2013 |

A light rain falls on the roof, the pitter pattering not quite heavy enough to mask the sound of the occasional car flying by on the highway. Yellow incandescent light softened by opaque covers illuminate a mess that is in the process of being put away. Heavy winter gear sits in one pile, paperwork to…

Facing Down Obstacles

March 22, 2013 |

Everybody has their obstacles to overcome, and those of us who choose to follow our dreams and live deliberate lives have more than most. We’re go-getters to a varying extent, every single person who reads IO and other blogs like this. We live with that niggling feeling always in the back of our minds that…

…It’s What You Do

July 24, 2012 |

So if you read last Thursday’s post I left off with the simple statement that experiences trump possessions hands down when it comes to leading a happier, more fulfilling life. Now to delve into the how and why. Happiness As I mentioned before, the intense happiness I got from my iphone purchase was fleeting at…

1. TC on April 26, 2014 at 8:57 am

You put it very nicely. I have camped in various countries with various level of camp grounds. Always I found them about their own business and very civil. Their habits may be different but you get used to it. Some nations like to have big barbecues, others like to sit around drink. In general they keep their space and respect yours. Nonetheless, you can get a little uneasy when you have no brick walls around you to protect. I thinks it is normal to feel that way.
    TC recently posted..Would No Fault Accidents Increase Car Insurance Rates?My Profile

• Becky on April 29, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Always nice to find other tolerant folks out there TC. Traveling to other countries must be exciting, I’m going to do that too someday but it’s a ways off.

2. Jim@HiTek on April 19, 2014 at 4:10 am

”We’er all human”?

I don’t know about that, Becky, some of the women I’ve hung out with didn’t seem to be from this planet…

I get your point though, luckily in my family we were taught to ‘never judge a book by it’s cover’ which has turned out to be sooooo true over the years. And which lead to some amazing conversations and adventures. I remember being on the el late at night in Chicago one time, kind of lost, asked two guys standing nearby for directions to Amtrac, they couldn’t have been more helpful. Tats all over, nose chains, the works. Looked like gang members. Very helpful though. That’s just one of hundreds of simlar stories…

• Becky on April 21, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Har har on the women comment Jim. 😉

The not judging a book by it’s cover saying is a good one.

3. Larry on April 18, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Live & let Live,,Help one another when Possible,,In my travels ,Like you, most of us want the same thing,,Job,,safe place to live, food to eat..Old Guy

• Becky on April 18, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Glad you liked it Larry. 🙂

4. Curious by Nature on April 18, 2014 at 2:32 pm

You haven’t told us exactly what you and Julie are performing, will we see any pictures or video?
    Sounds like a really cool experience! I’ve never seen one of these, had to Google it to find out more about it. It looks like one of those things to go on the must do list!
    Enjoy and grow!

• Becky on April 18, 2014 at 7:53 pm

We’re street characters with a musical bent. Some acting, and some singing of folk songs. There will be pictures/video and a write up about it after I have some experience.

• jonthebru on April 19, 2014 at 4:17 pm

If there ain’t pictures, it didn’t happen.

When it comes to the variety of human experiences I believe in the axiom: “We all have our own row to hoe.”

I like seeing you do well.

• Becky on April 21, 2014 at 7:40 pm

That’s a similar mindset to mine Jon. We’re all different and following our own path, but everyone deserves respect no mater which path they’re walking.

5. Ed on April 18, 2014 at 1:27 pm

“If we’d just treat each other with a little more respect despite the superfluous differences the world would be a better place”…..

So, so true!

• Becky on April 18, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Glad you liked it Ed. 🙂

6. David Swanson on April 18, 2014 at 8:50 am

Ren fair people are great Becky. I did the very first Ren fair ever held. It was in Minnesota about 1972, and I sold pottery at about 20 more after that. The Ren nomads are a close family. You’ll make some dear friends no doubt!

• PamelaP on April 18, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Ah yes, the Rennie life – I miss it so! You are right – people who do Ren Fairs for a living tend to be nomads and romantics with a lot of fun thrown in. They generally respect others and expect that in return. Usually a tight knit group they love to welcome newbies. I am envious of your next few weeks! ;o)

To paraphrase our Amazon motto: Have fun, make Elizabethan history & work hard!

I know you’ll enjoy yourself & don’t forget to ALWAYS make the last pub sing – most fun of the day.

• Becky on April 18, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Haha, I like that motto Pamela! I’m excited and nervous for my first day tomorrow. The forecast changed this morning and now they’re calling for rain and a good 15 degrees cooler than earlier forecasts, Easter Sunday still looks good though.

And yes the pub sing here is at the hour of 5 and 30, and I will most definitely be attending whenever possible. 😉

• Becky on April 18, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Nice David! I think the festival held in Shakopee, MN might still be my favorite, I think that one’s 30 years old now? It’s the bawdiest one I’ve ever been to (this one is quite tame by comparison), but the people were so much fun.

7. Gerri Jones on April 18, 2014 at 8:50 am

Great post!!!!! Thanks for the reminder….we’re all human!!!!
    Gerri Jones recently posted..Green Eggs and Ham RallyMy Profile

• Becky on April 18, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Glad it spoke to you Gerri! I think we all need this reminder every now and then.

8. Ron on April 17, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Diversity makes it all fun and worthwhile.
    We have camped next to multi million dollar mother homes, Homeless families and intoxicated native Americans who offered to share their bottle. All were good and learning experiences. Enjoy and embrace. Fear not.

• Becky on April 18, 2014 at 7:46 pm

You said it Ron. There is so much to learn from people who live differently than you.

9. Dawn on April 17, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Last fall I did a test camping night at a local campground one exit up the freeway from the house. I wanted to find out if my dog, who loves to camp with me in the back yard, would behave all night in a campground filled with strangers and stranger noise. She did great. But the point of all this is that I was in a narrow camp site next to several tents filled with Renaissance characters. There’s a very big, very popular festival for 5 or 6 weeks at the end of summer nearby..and I didn’t realize that so many of the employees camped. It WAS startling in the morning to find fully costumed people wandering back from the showers. Pretty cool though.

• Becky on April 18, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Haha, yeeeeah that would be me. I’m actually a bit worried about the shower situation here, only two stalls for this many girls… it’ll be a race after the day is over. 😉

Also glad to hear your dog did well camping! You did it the right way, a short trip close by so that if there were issues you wouldn’t be far from home.

10. cozygirl on April 17, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Nicely said….I agree! HAPPY EASTER!!!!

• Becky on April 18, 2014 at 7:43 pm

You too! Wherever you may be right now.