An Empty Village

I’ve had an enjoyable week here in Fairburn. More time to read, work on various projects, and get Cas spick and span now that I’m not having to drive state to state every weekend. The weather has been gorgeous too, highs in the 70’s, and I almost hate to say it for fear of jinxing myself, but the infamous southeastern humidity has yet to set in for summer.

Between writing yesterday I took a break to walk around the festival grounds and stretch my legs.

empty-fest1

It’s very odd being at a renaissance festival during the week when nobody is there. Like one of those ghost towns I found out in South Dakota last summer, but instead of being run down it’s in great shape. It’s as though all of the inhabitants of a small village (because that’s really what it looks like) decided to leave one day for no good reason, it’s a bit eerie.

Or, it would be a bit eerie if it hadn’t been the middle of a bright and cloudless day, and there hadn’t been birds singing of spring and squirrels chastising me from the trunks of trees for interrupting their midday meal.

empty-fest3

After a leisurely stroll to the front gate and back I head out the rear of the fest grounds and back to my little RV to get back to work. What am I working on? Well it’s a secret for now. Given how a full-timer’s plans are so often written in jello, I don’t want to spill the beans yet in case something happens to delay the project again.

One fun bit of news though, next week you’ll all be coming along with me vicariously for a few days in the Great Smoky Mountains! Julie has vacation from work that week because Student day at the festival is next Tuesday – where school age kids are brought out to the fest on a sort of field trip. As soon as that is done we’ll be hopping in her more fuel efficient car and striking north for three nights of tent camping adventure.

empty-fest2

What about all of you, with spring finally in the air, are you heading out anywhere this weekend?

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

RVing Experiment: Dehydrated Food

July 26, 2016 | 76

Down in Quartzsite this past winter I met several vandwellers at the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, and over the course of two weeks I got to know a couple of them quite well. I found their ability to sift RVing down to its simplest form very admirable, and of course wondered how they managed to thrive…

Cleaning Day

August 6, 2014 | 38

A little humor for your midweek. I present to you: Cleaning, a drama. Day 1: “Hmm, it’s starting to look kinda bad in here.” Day 2: “When’s the last time I did anything more than sweep the floor? Before I got to Utah.” Day 3: “Ugh, I hate cleaning. Well, maybe tomorrow.” Day 4: “Now…

Planning a Re-positioning Trip

May 4, 2015 | 45

Usually I don’t like to share a map of my big re-positioning trips before I get started. The biggest reason is because on these kinds of trips I don’t have time to stop and visit with people, and posting my route is almost guaranteed to bring comments from readers who live or are traveling along…

1. travelfables on April 27, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I remember some of the the first GA ren fests (Don’t think they were in Fairburn then -some where out near six-flags-I think).

Yes, I was WAY more into that stuff back then.
    I’ve been to some of the Fairburn ones,but if you come to the GA mountains, yes, I have tips N stuff. I’m from there.
    Even though I identify as a full-timer who likes to be elsewhere, I’m back in my forest homelands now fixing up an old Airstream.
    I may go to Fairburn to see the Ren Fest again this year for ole-time sake (your blogs have intrigued me). At any rate-“Break a Leg” N such on your performance gig.

• Becky on April 29, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Thanks for the luck travel, I’d enjoy seeing you at GARF although as a warning I wouldn’t be able to hang out during the day really, like with any job I’m expected to work. I don’t know all of GARF’s history, it’s been around 29 years and was in Peachtree before moving to Fairburn, I think it was also somewhere else before that but I don’t know all the details.

I’m looking forward to the smoky mountains, only a few days there but it’ll be fun no matter what. Have fun fixing up that Airstream!

2. ROSEMARY R. on April 27, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Oh Becky, you put another absolute place to visit on my list. My husband and I do the Ren Fair here in S. Calif. It has a great site at the Santa FE Dam park. Its not permanent like your’s but very nice location. This is the 4th location since the 70’s.
    Really looking forward to Smoky Mnt photos.
    We hope to be on the road by end of the year. Waiting for inheritance $$. A new truck (Dodge Ram) and trailer in my future.
    Travel safe and enjoy the mnts.
    Best wishes,
    Rosemary R.
    California

• Becky on April 29, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Well I must say Rosemary, you have excellent taste in trucks! (I drive a Dodge Dakota) 😉

Always happy to hear from other rennies. When I get out West this fall I hope to visit a bunch of the fests out that way, gotta check more off my list!

Best of luck to you getting on the road. I bet you and your husband are very excited! The end of the year will be here before you know it. Safe travels and happy trails.

3. Furry Gnome on April 26, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Looking forward to hearing about the Smokies. We finally made it there a year ago. Great place; have fun!

• Becky on April 29, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I will Gnome!

4. Michelle Ray on April 26, 2014 at 7:00 pm

We are in the Smoky Mts now. Heading home tomorrow. Great hikes and wild flowers! Sad to be leaving, enjoy yourself!!

• Becky on April 29, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I will Michelle, happy to know that the flowers are blooming up there! Have a good drive home.

5. Ron on April 26, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Enjoy the Great Smokeys, we got married there about 25 years ago. Had a black bear try to steal our backpack when we stopped to play in a waterfall. Monday we will be leaving our Winter home in Deep South Texas and heading for North central Minnesota.

• Becky on April 29, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Haha, what a memory Ron, although I bet it was really scary at the time! We’ll be keeping all of our food stored in the car even when we sleep in the tent, just seems safer that way.

Safe travels and happy trails on your trip north!

6. PamelaP on April 26, 2014 at 1:46 pm

The Smoky mountains is one of my favorite places on earth. So much beauty and diversity! I know you and Julie will love it – lots of great places to tent camp there too.

It definitely takes me back to see the photos of the GA fair – I performed there 3 or 4 different years but it’d been a long time since I’ve been there. I’m hoping the humidity holds off for you.

Like you I’m almost afraid to say this in case I jinx it but it’s is beautiful & sunny here in Seattle too but our high will be 58 – still a beautiful day to get out just bring a sweater! I’m going to enjoy the heck out of today because we’ll be back to 70% chance of rain tomorrow.

Safe travels!

• Becky on April 29, 2014 at 5:55 pm

I’m looking forward to it Pamela, I’ll be taking a lot of pictures for sure!

I love the GA fest grounds…then again, I say that about all of them, haha. Well the way I look at it is every fest is beautiful in it’s own way. They’re all different and a load of fun.

I hope the weather holds for you, take care!

7. Rob Sokolis on April 26, 2014 at 1:28 pm

My wife and I enjoy your posts a great deal. And your comment about a FullTimers plans set in Jello is just perfect! Very well put! We are in the process of Down Sizing our home and personal S&B Collections of needless Stuff. Then my Bride can retire (just a short 3 or 4 years.. Yuk) then we are In The Wind! And hopefully will be Writing our Future in Jello too!
    Be safe and keep up your writing!

• Becky on April 29, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Writing the future in jello is loads of fun! I wish you and your wife the best of luck Rob, 3-4 years may seem like a long way off now but I remember being where you’re at, it passes quicker than you’d think. Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions, it may take me a while to respond but I get to them all in time.

Safe travels and happy trails!

8. Mike Goad on April 25, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a wonderful park. We spent several days there in early May 2009. It looks like you will be there about the same time of year. It was cloudy and rainy, but nice. It was also like stepping 2 or 3 weeks back in the seasons, with dogwoods blossoming, while at home all of the petals on our dogwoods had fallen a couple or more earlier of weeks earlier. And the higher in elevation, it was more obvious. With the extra rain, that spring, there was plenty of water rushing in the streams and dropping over the many falls in the park.. Enjoy it!!!!
    Mike Goad recently posted..Destinations, A Wild Ride and Johnny Reb.My Profile

• Becky on April 29, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I went there for a weekend back in fall of 2011, just a few weeks before I started this blog actually. I loved it but lamented the lack of time to see everything I wanted to see. I still won’t be seeing everything, but every little bit counts! I’m halfway there now, on the road. I’m already seeing spring roll back the farther I drive, was like driving from FL up to Atlanta 3 weeks ago all over again. 😛

I will enjoy and take pictures!