Skip to content

Spring Weather

spring-weatherKa-boom! Thunder rattles the Casita and I am wide awake, it’s 4 am. A thin line of strong storms pushed through yesterday evening as night was falling, a hint of things to come. Julie and I were hanging out with some of our fellow rennies and we all joked around, wondering if Student Day would still be on if a tornado tore through the village.

Now it doesn’t seem so funny. Today’s forecast looks awful, 2-4 inches of rain and strong possibly severe storms bringing strong winds, hail, and potentially tornadoes. As of right now we’re under a flood watch and tornado watch. I doze on and off the rest of the morning but never fall back into a deep sleep.

At 6:15 two thumps bring me back to full consciousness. I notice a decrease in noise level and think the A/C fan has gone off and the power is out. Then I realize it’s the Fantastic Fan that’s shut off. In my sleepy state I worry that something’s happened to it, but after some confused stumbling around my brain registers that it’s off because it finally dropped below 72 degrees inside. The noise turns out to be debris from the pine trees over the site landing on the roof, small branches or pinecones. The wind is whipping the trees overhead into a frenzy, but Cas’ small profile is a great asset here, we’re on the leeward side of a hill and missing most of the wind at ground level.

We’re up and getting ready for the show at 7:30 when a the call comes in, Student Day has been cancelled. The rain lightens, the thunder has moved on. Go figure. I’m grateful to be able to get more sleep though.

As it turns out Alabama got the worst of it, northern GA had one tornado, Alabama had several. It’s not over yet however. Round two is coming later this evening, it’s suppose to be a repeat of this morning with the potential for severe weather.

But, I won’t be witnessing it in Cas. I’m posting this from a McDonalds north of Atlanta. After a stop at the laundromat to get all the clothes clean(dry), Julie and I are driving up to the Smokies….where the weather forecast looks much the same as Fairburn Luckily there’s enough room in the back of her car to sleep in, I doubt we’ll be staying in the tent tonight.

Why are we still going? Because the weatherman isn’t always right. Because this is the week Julie has vacation and it’s now or never. Because even though the sky is grey, the view I’m getting of mountains in the distance is beautiful. Because life is never perfect, but with a change in attitude there are positives to be found in any less than ideal situation. Thursday and Friday look to be dry at least, and we can always do driving tours tonight and tomorrow. I hope you all enjoy your weeks, in all of their magnificent imperfection. With luck I’ll be able to get a picture or two of the drive up on Facebook later this evening. Take care!

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Custer State Park, SD

June 9, 2013 |

Tuesday morning I arose not-so-early to set out on my latest adventure – Custer State Park. This day trip had been a week in the making. I’d originally intended to go the week before, but had a surprise seminar about good customer service set upon me. It’s not something I had signed up for myself,…

Managing Analysis Paralysis When Traveling

July 28, 2017 |

When I hit the road as a full-time RVer, I anticipated many of the challenges of traveling solo, from loneliness to fear of failure to safety concerns. One thing I didn’t anticipate? Analysis paralysis. We’re fortunate to live in a first-world country, and have a lot more options on how to live our lives than…

Solo RVer Safety

December 8, 2011 |

The top item on my parent’s list of concerns when I told them I was going to go full-time RVing by myself was personal safety. This past week, I received an e-mail from a reader who also brought up the subject, so I figured it was worth a post. So far, I have found the…

1. Becky on May 3, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Luckily Cas looked just fine when we got back yesterday so I guess it couldn’t have been too bad here Monday night. Camping trip went well!

2. Pleinguy on May 1, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Yes, the weather can be rather unpredictable. But, at least Spring is gradually coming forth. I’m camped near US-395 in CA, and on Friday we got 6 inches of snow in the mountains. Winter’s last hurrah? It looks pretty though.
    Pleinguy recently posted..CatwalkMy Profile

• Becky on May 3, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Another commenter said Sequoia National Park got over a foot of snow, yikes! I bet it did make everything really pretty though. Enjoy your stay there! I’m looking forward to joining all of you “cool kids” out West later this year. 😉 Safe travels and happy trails!

3. ROSEMARY R. on April 30, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Thought of you right a way when the weather alerts came on. Hope you and your fellow artists at RenFaire stay safe.
    Take care in the Smoky Mnts too.

It is just terribly hot and very windy here in S. Calif.

Stay well

R.

• Becky on May 3, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Aww, thanks for thinking of us Rosemary. Monday couldn’t have been too terrible, Cas was still in one piece (thankfully) and everything in the fridge was still good so if the power went out it wasn’t for long. Hope the wind there in S. CA cooperates!

4. Sherry on April 30, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Weather folks aren’t always right and it’s now or never seem like excellent reasons to me. May the rain gods pass you by. The Smokies will be simply gorgeous with all the water. Enjoy enjoy!!
    Sherry recently posted..Back at the FarmMy Profile

• Becky on May 3, 2014 at 10:43 pm

They were Sherry, I just wish I’d had more time!

5. PamelaP on April 30, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Some of my best travel/vacations were in less than perfect weather. I lived in the Smokies for several months at one point in my life and 1) the weather changes quickly and 2) weather officials were frequently wrong!

Have a great time!

• Becky on May 3, 2014 at 10:42 pm

They were pretty wrong as it turns out Pamela, haha. More on that coming up though.

I remember camping trips as a child huddled in the tent with my family, 60 and raining outside and we’d sing songs and tell stories – I enjoyed it very much despite the weather, you’re correct. 🙂

6. Roger on April 30, 2014 at 10:36 am

One more thing, I have no cell service and the WiFi is spotty at best. So I will stay positive for the next 4.5 months.lol

Roger

• Becky on May 3, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Well in a way not having ready access to internet is a blessing, it means you get more free time to enjoy the park and other attractions, and when you do find internet you’ll be sure to use your time wisely and not waste it on distractions.

7. Roger on April 30, 2014 at 10:20 am

Hi Becky,
    I always seem to get inspiration from you, especially when it comes to making things positive. I am now in Sequoia National Park, it is beautiful here, but coming up there was a freak snowstorm they got about 18inches and I called up here and the roads were closed. So I dry camped along the way in Wal-Marts waiting for the road to open. The snow is still here the roads are clear. It is getting warmer and before I know it the snow will be gone. When this is done in mid September it is off to Fernley, I finally got a reservation at Sparks Marina RV. It will be a bit of a drive, but was told the the freeway is right next to the park.

Stay safe out there,
    Roger

• Becky on May 3, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Then I’ll see you at Sparks marina Roger, looking forward to it!

Sorry to hear about the snowstorm but I bet it made the park look very pretty for your visit. I’m glad you were able to see the positives in your situation! Sometimes there’s nothing you can do to change a situation – like the weather. And if you can’t do anything to change it, there’s no sense in fretting about it in my mind. Take care and enjoy!

8. Furry Gnome on April 30, 2014 at 7:58 am

Hope you have a fabulous time in the Smokies, regardless of the weather!

• Becky on May 3, 2014 at 10:37 pm

An excellent time Gnome! More on that coming.

9. Fireman Steve on April 30, 2014 at 7:31 am

Be safe. Nasty weather out there….

• Becky on May 3, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Thanks Steve, Luckily Monday was fine, both at Fairburn and in the mountains.

10. Mike Goad on April 29, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Our rough weather was Sunday. Today was clear, breezy and cool, which is what you should be getting on Thursday and Friday, I think. The streams and falls should have plenty of water and there should be plenty of wildflowers blooming. Enjoy it!
    Mike Goad recently posted..Sunday’s Storms.My Profile

• Becky on May 3, 2014 at 10:32 pm

I did Mike! Hope things didn’t get too bad there on Sunday, take care.