Appreciate the Simple Things

Some days I sit in front of my laptop and wonder what I’m going to write about. On those days when I have no big adventure to share, inspirational words to impart, or bits of hard earned wisdom for would-be RVers, I scratch my head and reach for mundane things that some of my readers might find interesting. Today I present you with: flowers.

appreciate-the-simple-things

Maybe you like flowers, or maybe not. I personally had only a passing interest in flowers back when I lived stationary. I’d see a pretty flower and think “Oh, that’s nice.” But while I was looking at the flower my mind would wander to work, my grocery list, what I was doing that weekend, or any number of other things. There was always too much to do and not enough time to do it all in.

That’s changed now, and not I believe because I have less to do. My life on the road is still very hectic at times, but I force myself to take a little bit of time even on the busiest days to be completely present and appreciate the simple things: a pretty flower, the view from my window, a short walk. Those moments of peace makes the harder parts of the day – like wrestling with a malfunctioning laptop for instance – easier to handle.

Speaking of the laptop, I talked with customer service and did some fiddling around and managed to get it to turn on long enough to finish this post, but it’s not likely that it’ll still be working tomorrow. I’ll probably need to send it somewhere for repairs. If so, you’ll have to pardon my internet silence, I’ll be back as soon as I can.

appreciate-the-simple-things2

But in the meantime, there are more flowers to enjoy, an afternoon thunderstorm brewing outside which makes for fun cloud watching, and my best friend’s birthday to celebrate. Not having my laptop for a while will be a nuissance, but just because that one thing has failed me doesn’t mean that my whole day has to go poorly. And this is a good lesson for all of you future RVers, because sooner or later something will happen to your rig that might get you frustrated and wondering if the hassle is worth it. It is worth it, so long as you can continue to find joy from the things that made you want to hit the road.

So, no matter how busy, frustrating, or crazy your day is going, I hope you’ll take a moment or two today to smell the flowers, or enjoy whatever it is that is the equivalent for you. Because the small things that make you happy should never take a back seat to chores and the humdrum of daily life, otherwise what’s the point?

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Create Your Own Opportunity

September 27, 2013 | 11

Just a quick public service announcement to start your weekend off right: The pie is unlimited. Yep, it’s another pie day. Not too long ago I wrote about Having Enough, that we get to choose how much Enough is, and that life should not be one big rat race to try to acquire as much…

Motivation for Real People

November 6, 2013 | 18

Motivation. That seemingly endless wellspring of energy, concentration, and persistence that highly successful people can leverage at will to keep plugging away at their goals tirelessly day and night. Meanwhile, the rest of us may know what we have to do, but laziness keeps us from working at it as often or as long as…

Having Enough

September 7, 2013 | 39

Recently I received an e-mail from a want-to-be full-timer who wasn’t too far off from retirement age, but wished they could hit the road early. They said money one was one of the factors that kept them from going now, because “you can never have enough”. Allow me to point out that you can, in…

1. Sherry Levasseur on May 17, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Thanks for a fabulous post, Becky! I, too, find that I appreciate the simple things more, now that I’m on the road fulltime. Someone just told me I look 10 years younger since I started my travels (in January!), and I chalk that up to the lack of stress I now feel, and just the increased happiness!

Keep up the great posts!

Sherry
    Sherry Levasseur recently posted..Wow — Road TrippingMy Profile

• Becky on May 20, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Yes Sherry, this lifestyle is definitely less stressful and more fun. Sounds like you’re having a great time on the road, enjoy!

2. Furry Gnome on May 16, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Flowers aren’t mundane!

• Becky on May 20, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I would agree. 🙂

3. Fireman Steve on May 16, 2014 at 10:45 am

I like your flower pics. It’s always good to stop and smell the roses every once in a while..

• Becky on May 16, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Thanks Steve, these are still from the Smokies, so many pretty flowers up there.

4. 2knives on May 16, 2014 at 10:30 am

Seeking out nature has always helped me in times of stress. I know some of your gentle readers have never had stress BUT for the others, taking time to “smell the roses” still works better than Prozac.

• Becky on May 16, 2014 at 6:33 pm

It does help! Although I think everyone alive has faced stressful situations before, differing levels perhaps, but stress non the less. Either way I think slowing down a little benefits everyone. 🙂

5. Jodee Gravel on May 16, 2014 at 9:09 am

Looking forward to a storm so you can watch the clouds pretty much sums up a healthy outlook on life :-).
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..A Fun and Colorful HometownMy Profile

• Becky on May 16, 2014 at 6:31 pm

I like it better when the storm isn’t predicted to be severe and my RV isn’t in danger, haha. Luckily these were garden variety storms.

6. PamelaP on May 16, 2014 at 8:54 am

Carpe Diem! and smell your personal vision of the roses along the way!

• Becky on May 16, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Seize the day indeed Pamela, I always liked that quote. 🙂 And it’s getting waaaaarm here in GA, spring flowers are on the way out as summer starts it’s appearance. Maybe when I head to my next job if it’s farther north I’ll get spring flowers one more time…

7. James on May 15, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Every time I look at a scene I see something different and it’s often a simple thing that makes it different. And that simple difference can transform it so much so that it becomes almost a different scene. So, for me, appreciating the simple things is fundamental to my life for it is the simple things that make it so wonderful.

• Becky on May 16, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Yep James, I look at the world much the same. 🙂

8. Curious by Nature on May 15, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I think we are all cool with ordinary, as your ordinary is extraordinary! I think we’ve experienced the “village in the head” syndrome, where all the “should’s” and “gotta get that done” and future projections get in the way of the present.

Laptops that travel a lot frequently have the hard drive come loose and move in it’s socket. This wears the contacts causing erratic bootup performance, frequently not powering the hard drive at all. If you’re not afraid to open the back, find your hard drive compartment, open it, and see if it is loose. If so, add some packing, thick paper often works well, to maintain pressure to keep it seated properly and prevent movement and refasten the cover. My laptop did this to me 2 years ago, and is still going strong today.

Happy trails!

• Becky on May 16, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Well if the beep code I’m getting occasionally when I power it up is accurate (and I have no reason to think it’s not) it’s either the CMOS battery – which makes sense because the computer clock no longer keeps time – or the motherboard. If the laptop continues to work normally except for the clock I’ll say it’s just the battery, if I have more boot problems like I did Wednesday then it’s likely the motherboard which can also cause the clock issues. I did have to open it up for a temporary fix and everything looks seated normally.

You take care as well Curious, thanks for the concern.

9. Ron on May 15, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Last paragraph, nicely said.

• Becky on May 16, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Glad you liked it Ron. 🙂

10. Kim on May 15, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Very frustrating. Hope you are back in fine technical form soon.
    Kim recently posted..A New EraMy Profile

• Becky on May 16, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Thanks Kim. Other than the clock which no longer keeps time it’s working fine today, electronics are such fickle things.

11. Maura on May 15, 2014 at 3:19 pm

The flowers are beautiful, hope your laptop gets to working soon! Take care

Maura
    Maura recently posted..RockCity continuedMy Profile

• Becky on May 16, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Thanks Maura, glad you liked the pictures!