Interviews

On Thursday two interviews I did at other sites went live, so today I thought I’d share those with you.

interviews1

The first was featured on Do It Yourself RV, and it asked ten full-timers the question: If you could change one thing about your full-time lifestyle, what would it be? To see my response and the responses of the other nine RVers, click here.

The second was on The Displaced Nation, a site primarily dedicated to expats which makes my story there a little unusual. I was featured in the “A Picture Says 1,000 Words” column and answered a variety of questions about my life on the road and my photography. To see that interview, click here.

I touched on this in the last question I answered for Displaced Nation, but I thought it was worth bringing up here too.

interviews2

If you’re just getting into a new hobby, whether it’s photography, blogging, jogging, gardening, music, crafts, or just about anything else, the tools needed to get started are already at your disposal. There’s no need to go out and spend $1,000 on a camera to be a photographer – just get out there with the camera you have and start taking pictures. There’s no need to hire a web designer to start blogging – there are plenty of free options out there, just pick one and start writing. The best thing you can do to gain traction in a new hobby is to get started. Worry about the fancy equipment down the road once you’ve made some progress.

And believe it or not, there are some parallels to be found here with RVing. There’s no need to save until retirement to buy the biggest luxury motorcoach to go full-timing. Take a look at your resources, make a plan, and get out there. If full-timing isn’t in the cards right now due to other constraints, don’t let that stop you from traveling in other ways if traveling is what you want to do. Buy an inexpensive pop-up and go RVing with the family on weekends. Wrangle some vacation time off from work to take a trip somewhere you’ve been wanting to go.

interviews3

Yes, planning for the future is good. Yes, sometimes you have to delay gratification today to have a better tomorrow. But don’t delay it too much, because we all have to live in today.

Lastly, I’d like to give a hearty Welcome! to everyone visiting IO from those sites. We’re a pretty easy going bunch around here so feel free to leave comments and ask questions, I do try to respond to every single comment on this blog. Today’s photos are from Zion. Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Spilling The Beans

April 13, 2016 | 54

After a fantastic hike among the rocks at the back of Sawtooth campground on Wednesday the 6th (the pictures in the previous post), it rains for the rest of my stay. Not all day, never very hard, but the sky remains overcast and and the air is chill. Because of the lack of sunlight I…

Joshua Tree Teaser and Caulking

March 15, 2016 | 44

March 11, Friday I open my eyes in the morning, and immediately know something is off. Where is the sun? It’s a rare overcast day in the desert. Around noon the wind is suppose to pick up, the park is under a wind advisory. Well, not making any day trips today. Luckily there are other…

Spring Weather

April 29, 2014 | 19

Ka-boom! Thunder rattles the Casita and I am wide awake, it’s 4 am. A thin line of strong storms pushed through yesterday evening as night was falling, a hint of things to come. Julie and I were hanging out with some of our fellow rennies and we all joked around, wondering if Student Day would…

1. edward on July 30, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Some of us do work we enjoy . . . never have understood folks who accept work that has no rewards beyond money. I’m not dying yet, so I can’t speak for those who are but pushing 70, I wish I had more time to do more work. It seems there is an unending, self-renewing list of jobs I’d like to try.

edward

2. Troy on July 29, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Great interviews, Becky! Next up, a morning news show or talk show. I like what Rick said above about the hospice nurse – she never heard a dying patient declare that they wished they worked more – Nice!! Keep up the good work on the blog. I enjoy every post!

• Becky on July 30, 2014 at 9:57 am

Glad you’re enjoying it Troy, thanks for following along.

3. Rick on July 28, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Former cardiology nurse here and I cared for a lot of people in their final days who never go around to enjoying what life had to offer – but worked until their dying days. I recently read a hospice nurse say that she never heard a dying patient declare that they wished they worked more…..kind of my outlook on life as an early retiree who picked up a Casita a couple of weeks ago and traveled 3000 miles over that time visiting all kinds of places on my bucket list. More traveling to come, hopefully.

• Becky on July 30, 2014 at 9:57 am

I have a quote very much to that effect in my About page Rick, I sure don’t want to be one of those people.

Have fun getting out there and traveling!

4. Reine on July 28, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I read the interviews on what would they change and thought it was interesting that in 10 responses, one couple said get a BIGGER rig and another couple said get a SMALLER rig. I think it highlights the fact that for RVing in general and full timing in particular there isn’t a one size fits all.
    Interesting interviews. Hopefully the insurance issue will smooth itself out over time.

• Becky on July 30, 2014 at 9:53 am

Yeah I found that interesting as well Reine.

5. Mike Leonard on July 28, 2014 at 10:03 am

I really enjoy your blog. We have a Casita and are retired. We also have a new little grandson, so haven’t been out this year. We are hoping to go South this winter. We have four little Bichon dogs, so they keep things interesting. Safe travels!

• Becky on July 30, 2014 at 9:55 am

Glad you’re enjoying it Mike! Thanks for following along and I hope you get the chance to take your Casita out sometime this year.

6. Curious by Nature on July 27, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I see you speak as powerfully as you write. You’ve never really written on your views of the Divine, if it’s not to private, could you elaborate on that?

• Becky on July 28, 2014 at 9:11 am

Nah I’m much more comfortable writing than speaking, that interview was a written interview. 😛

And I’d rather not get into religion (or politics) on this blog, but in short I’m spiritual more than religious.

• Curious by Nature on July 28, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I’m not talking about religion or politics, but about the feeling of connection when I’m out in the natural world, that this (mostly) hairless primate is a part of everything around me. Senses saturated with sight, sound, smell, wind on skin, textures, symmetry of leaves and flowers, heat of the sun on skin.

I’ve NEVER had this feeling at work!

• Becky on July 30, 2014 at 9:56 am

I’ve never had that feeling at work either, haha.

7. Furry Gnome on July 27, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Really enjoyed reading your interview. Good thoughts on photography; practicing taking lots of pictures is far more important than the type of camera. I’ve really enjoyed your other recent posts too.

• Becky on July 28, 2014 at 8:59 am

Glad you’ve enjoyed them Gnome.

8. Jodee Gravel on July 27, 2014 at 8:34 am

My motto for years has been “Don’t Wait”. It has made for an exciting and fun life. I don’t regret a thing – not even having no savings :-). I’m delighted that you and your “way of life” are getting so much exposure – hoping it inspires other young people (oh god, I sound like my mother) to shed the “shoulds” and follow a different path.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..The Topic of Being HumanMy Profile

• Becky on July 27, 2014 at 10:25 am

That’s what I’m looking for Jodee, a fun and fulfilling life. I wasn’t finding it at a 9-5 job, I’m finding it now on the road.

9. Marcia GB in MA on July 27, 2014 at 6:51 am

Have enjoyed all of your recent posts and pics. Your interviews were thoughtful and genuine and give those looking for a new way to live much to think about.

• Becky on July 27, 2014 at 10:23 am

Glad you enjoyed them Marcia, thanks for reading.

10. Eric on July 26, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I enjoyed reading your interview on The Displaced Nation. Thanks again for your time in contributing to the DIYRV article.
    Eric

• Becky on July 27, 2014 at 10:22 am

You’re very welcome Eric, it was a pleasure to do both of them.

11. Phyllis on July 26, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Those pictures seem more amazing than usual. Always enjoy your posts, you have inspired me to look at every piece of paper, bill, and task and I ask myself can I live without this or how does this relate to my RV life.

Phyllis in Oklahoma

• Becky on July 27, 2014 at 10:20 am

Happy to hear that Phyllis, you sound well on your way to enjoying a new lifestyle!

12. Mike Goad on July 26, 2014 at 10:49 am

I liked one sentence immensely: “he world is not as scary as the media would have us believe.” and I used it for a Facebook quote.

We’re a week away from hitting the road for two months, headed to South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana, primarily, before we head back to Arkansas… by way of Wisconsin. 😉
    Mike Goad recently posted..437 UnimogMy Profile

• Becky on July 27, 2014 at 10:19 am

Glad you enjoyed it Mike! Enjoy your upcoming trip, it sounds like a fun itinerary.