Lake Powell, UT

glen-canyon-recreation-area1I’m over at the Trading Post typing away on e-mails and RVillage messages bright and early in the morning when click, out goes the power.

Lightning damaged something somewhere, and it’s going to take an estimated two hours to get it back online. Well, there’s no point hanging around here any longer.

Supplies for a day trip are rounded up and I hop into Bertha and point her nose toward Page on 89.

Today’s first destination is a piece of Grand Staircase – Escalante National Monument. I’m hoping to do a little hiking in the staircase before driving on to Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, but the overcast skies at Zion that are promising thunderstorms in the afternoon clear up shortly after Kanab and by the time I make it there the sun is out and blazing and it’s 90. Hiking will wait.

I do stop at one of the visitor centers, which are managed by the BLM. It’s a different experience than at the National Parks, there’s only one ranger on duty at the little center and it’s nearly empty but he’s quite helpful.

Grand Staircase isn’t built up like other parks and monuments are. On this southern end there are no concessionaire operated stores or lodging. A lot of the large monument is a designated wilderness area, and you need an ATV or all wheel drive truck or SUV to see it. Registration for these activities and back country camping are available here, but my truck isn’t four wheel drive and that’s not my cup of tea anyway.

I do get a couple pictures of the dinosaur exhibit on display, the indoor ones which don’t turn out well due to the lighting. I also look at the map of the monument, and it looks like if I want to see more of it the north end is the better end for activities. I’ll head up there on another day off and do a more thorough report.

Continuing my trek along 89 I soon see the turn off for Wahweap Bay, the southwestern most bay in Lake Powell. There’s a fee collection area, I wave my year pass at them and continue through.

glen-canyon-recreation-area3

glen-canyon-recreation-area4A concessionaire run marina dominates Wahweap Bay, around it have sprung up lodging, boat tours and rentals, a campground, and a couple restaurants. There is a picnic area and a public boat landing and beach as well. I see how crowded the picnic area is, and decide to turn back up the little road and drive back to one of the scenic overlooks to eat and read instead. There’s a stand over it to provide shade, and I enjoy the stiff breeze and distant sounds of boats on the water down below.

Later in the afternoon, the clouds I left behind in Kanab finally make an appearance, I was figuring they would sooner or later. I pack up my kindle and chair and drive back down to the beach. Now I can take a dip in the lake without worrying about frying to a crisp.

Near the water the temperature is much cooler than it is even just 10 yards off of it. I bet taking a boat ride is quite pleasant this time of year. Beyond the beach farther out in the water there are boats wet docked, and beyond them the far shore is decorated with interesting rock formations. What a picturesque place for a beach. The water itself is cool and refreshing as well. Ahhh, nice.

glen-canyon-recreation-area5Maybe before I leave Utah I’ll try to visit one of the areas in Glen Canyon where the walls rise up from the water in a canyon, like you always see in the pictures. I have a feeling I’ll need to get on a boat for that but it’d probably be worth the cost. Glen Canyon also features the world’s largest natural bridge, located on the southern shore in the Navajo reservation which is also reachable by boat. Something to think about for next time.

For now it’s back to Cas after a relaxing day off. Going back to work tomorrow doesn’t seem so bad after a trip like this.

glen-canyon-recreation-area6

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

June Lake Loop

June 16, 2016 | 14

Saturday, June 11 I part the slats of my blinds and peer out at the new day. The pine trees stand in ranks like dark sentinels under a gray sky. Well, won’t be getting much in the way of solar power today so that nixes staying home and working on the computer. As it’s not…

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary

July 13, 2014 | 15

Besides the numerous national and state parks I’m currently living within reach of, there are other attractions of interest as well. Some museums, which I’ll admit aren’t as high on my to-see list, but also Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, which I had heard about from other RVers and given my interest in animals, this is…

A Change in Scenery

September 13, 2016 | 37

September 8, Thursday Yesterday, Ethan left to continue his circuit of the National Parks in Colorado and Utah. This morning, I’m faced with a bit of a dilemma. This is my 15th day at the boondocking spot off of country road 48, I’ve officially gone over the 14 day limit. I had explained to the…

1. Mark Watson on August 2, 2014 at 7:57 am

Here is info on the Antelope Canyon boat tour. Some friends and I took it and I recommend it
    Check in at the Wahweep resort.
    I would also recommend driving your car to Upper Antelope slot canyon instead of taking a tour offered by the downtown Page Antelope Canyon tour operators. It is cheaper if you drive to the slot canyon yourself and pay the Navajo directly, and it’s the same tour. Also consider taking a raft trip down the Colorado. Here’s the link: http://raftthecanyon.com/raft-the-river/half-day-raftoetrips/. Friends and I have done the raft trip twice. And don’t forget to drive about 2.5 miles south of Page on 89 to the Horseshoe Bend overlook. An easy 3/4 mile hike takes you out to the cliff edge where you can get a great view of the bend. Have fun.

• Becky on August 4, 2014 at 9:55 am

Thanks Mark, good info!

2. Jerry Minchey on August 1, 2014 at 10:14 am

Becky, Your hot desert weather sounds nice. Here it is Aug. 1st and the forecast is calling for a high temperature here in the NC mountains of 69 degrees. I’m ready for some summer weather.

• Becky on August 4, 2014 at 9:54 am

Hmm, I don’t know Jerry. I kinda like days that have a high of 69, that’s good hiking weather to me. But yeah, not so good if you want to go swimming, hehe. I hope it gets warmer for you.

3. mike german on July 31, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Becky great pics as always….on the Colorado Powell is the first one (i think) then comes Mead, Mohave and Havasu. I live in Vegas and am out almost ever weekend on my sea-doos skiing the river and these lakes. If you make it this far west and south I would love to take you out on the skis there is some amazing scenery to see here in the desert on the river. Also I manage a Hampton Inn here in Vegas and would be happy to get you or you and your friend rooms. We could also compare Casita stories lol.

• Becky on August 4, 2014 at 9:53 am

Hehe, thanks Mike! I’m not sure if I’ll be making it out that way or not yet but I’ll keep you in mind. 🙂

4. Dennis smith on July 31, 2014 at 1:43 pm

You have to go see antelope canyon. Right out side of page. It’s the red rock narrow canyon you see photos of all the time. The native Americans own it and there is a upper and lower. Each one is about 20 bucks. If just doing one I would do the upper. Less people on the lower but not as neat looking. Google antelope canyon and you will see how neat looking it is.

• Becky on August 4, 2014 at 9:52 am

I’ll get out there and have a peek sometime Dennis. 🙂

5. Jodee Gravel on July 31, 2014 at 7:17 am

Love those unexpected day trips! My only trip to Lake Powell was a cold and windy June that was miserable on the water :-(. Looks much hotter there now! A boat ride (with Julie of course) sounds like the best way to enjoy it. The dino sculptures look fun :-).
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..The Topic of Being HumanMy Profile

• Becky on July 31, 2014 at 11:01 am

Well, guess that just means you’ll need to come back again sometime Jodee for a better experience. 🙂

6. Tracy on July 31, 2014 at 5:52 am

I told you to let me know. I could have put you on a boat tour. If you decide to come back, let me know.

• Becky on July 31, 2014 at 10:59 am

I will be back Tracy in September sometime for a boat tour. My best friend Julie is going to be traveling with me for a while and it would something fun to do with her. How do I go about setting one up?

7. Bill on July 31, 2014 at 5:06 am

You need to hitch a boat ride and experience some of the canyons you can pull into. It’s like boating in the Grand Canyon! By the way, Wahweap is in AZ. Once you go across to Warm Creek, it becomes Utah.

• Becky on July 31, 2014 at 10:53 am

Yeah it seems to be right on the boarder Bill, the road out the northern end is in Utah but it’s hard to say where the dividing line is inside, I think the picnic area and marina are in Arizona, the campground and boat dock are either in Utah or right on the line. Makes it odd with the time difference. 🙂

8. Julie on July 30, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I think that a boat trip will definitely need to happen after I get there!

• Becky on July 31, 2014 at 10:51 am

Highly recommended to see more of the area, a lot of it isn’t accessible by car.

9. Michael Kuper on July 30, 2014 at 7:28 pm

We stayed at Lone Rock back in April. Loved the location, but the dust was bit over the top at times.

• Becky on July 31, 2014 at 10:47 am

I can see it judging by how much open sand there is around that area. Luckily the wind wasn’t that strong when I went.

10. Pleinguy on July 30, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Appears you had a fun and relaxing day exploring the area. I was wondering what it looked like. I will pass through the far northern end of Glen Canyon sometime in September.
    Pleinguy recently posted..Hells CanyonMy Profile

• Becky on July 31, 2014 at 10:46 am

Might be too cold for swimming by September, but it’ll make hiking easier. Different parts of Glen Canyon look very different from what I’ve seen in pictures but I can’t imagine the northern end would look anything but neat either. Enjoy.

11. Todd on July 30, 2014 at 1:09 pm

What a nice day trip you had. Hope to get there one day. Just talked to a friend that has kids visiting the West, made me hoping my house sells soon.

• Becky on July 31, 2014 at 10:44 am

I’ll cross my fingers for a quick sale Todd, good luck! And when you get a chance to come out here, you’ll have a good time.

12. Gary on July 30, 2014 at 11:57 am

Hi Becky, I drove past there last May on my way to Zion and Bryce. I have seen mixed reviews on Wahweap campground. What do you think of it? Is there any shade at all? Thanks for sharing,
    Gary recently posted..Blodgett Canyon View TrailMy Profile

• Becky on July 31, 2014 at 10:42 am

There are some half grown cottonwood trees Gary, some sites have partial shade but I’d say over half get none or not enough to make a difference. That’s just what I could see driving past though, I didn’t go in the campground itself. No shade doesn’t phase me much though, I expect campsites in the desert to be non-shaded.