Cleaning Day

Cleaning, a task as challenging as scaling a mountain...

Cleaning, a task as challenging as scaling a mountain…

A little humor for your midweek. I present to you: Cleaning, a drama.

Day 1: “Hmm, it’s starting to look kinda bad in here.”

Day 2: “When’s the last time I did anything more than sweep the floor? Before I got to Utah.”

Day 3: “Ugh, I hate cleaning. Well, maybe tomorrow.”

Day 4: “Now where the heck is that shirt at.”

Day 5: “I should really clean today. But I have X,Y, Z to do.”

Day 6: “Wow, look at all that dust on those blinds…”

Day 7: “Okay that’s it! Today I’m cleaning, I have five hours before work, I should be able to get most of it done.”

. . . one hour later . . .

“Huh, all done. That wasn’t so bad.”

cleaning-day2

.. or swimming a murky channel

Just one more reason why I love my small RV. It never takes as long to clean up as I fear it will. Now if only I’d remembered this a week ago I would have had a clean Cas earlier, haha.

In other news, you’ve probably noticed by now that new header and About picturesΒ are up, yay! The old ones were from June of 2011, before the IO was even live. These new ones are all from this year, the header and sitting on a rock by a stream picture were taken in the Smokey Mountains, the face shot with Cas in the background was taken down at Ordway-Swisher in Florida, and the sitting in a tree one is Hunting Island in South Carolina like the old pictures.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Things Are Coming Together

July 3, 2012 | 12

After 1 year, 6 months, 2 weeks and 2 days of dreaming, planning, and working hard it is now official: I’ll be a full-time RVer by the end of September! I had my phone interview with Amazon today and was offered a position at Coffeyville, KS. The interview was painless. Basically it was a bit…

RVing and Taxes

February 25, 2013 | 20

Ahh February. The month of my birthday (which was actually last Friday). The last real month of winter. Lots of nice things happen in February, but one rather unpleasant thing does as well, taxes. Last year when it became clear that I would be buying the RV in 2012 after all, I briefly poked online…

RVing in Adverse Weather Conditions Part 2: Precipitation, Humidity, and Wind

August 26, 2016 | 15

This is a continuation of Tuesday’s post on bad weather RVing. You might want to read Part 1 on heat and cold first if you haven’t already. Humidity I spent my first summer in the Casita down in coastal South Carolina, where aside from daily highs in the upper 80’s to lower 90’s, the humidity…

1. edward on August 12, 2014 at 9:05 pm

one major difference between old and new headers is the feeling of wind and wave action in the old one versus the “plonked down” feel of the new one.

• Becky on August 16, 2014 at 10:12 am

Standing on that rock is kinda scary, because it’s a long way down if you slip, haha.

2. Mike Goad on August 10, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Hi Becky…, as one of the other commenters said, there are blue jobs and pink jobs, plus my tolerance for a mess is much higher that the dear wife’s is, so I seldom get involve in inside cleaning, except when requested (dump the trash, beat the rug, etc.)

Was thinking of your travels earlier today. We are camped at the Interior KOA — for laundry and semi-decent internet — near Badlands. After a week of discount camping, including 4 nights at Wind Cave National Park, we cringed at the price to camp here.

In picking our route so far, I remembered one of your posts ( https://interstellarorchard.com/2013/07/19/more-black-hills/ ). We’ve been to Custer State Park, but never Wind Cave. Boy, were we lucky we chose Wind Cave. It turned out that this week was the week of the Sturgis Bike Rally, but few made it down to were we were. They were everywhere else though — a real pain.

Enjoy Utah. We always do.
    Mike Goad recently posted..Transforming a photo to artistic sketch for a non-artist.My Profile

• Becky on August 11, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Yeah, national parks seem to have really high camping rates Mike, I remember that KOA, it was a nice place. I hope you’re enjoying the Badlands.

Glad you survived the Sturgis rally, it’s quite an event! Wind Cave would be a good place to go, most bikers are looking for drive through scenery and caves don’t offer that. πŸ˜‰

And yes, I am enjoying Utah.

3. Angie2B on August 10, 2014 at 11:26 am

Hahaha, I was coming here to tell you how much I liked your new picture. I guess everyone likes different things. Pick the one you like best and don’t worry about us. πŸ™‚

• Becky on August 10, 2014 at 11:52 am

Hee, isn’t that the truth Angie. It was just getting old enough that I wanted something new. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a good one in Zion while I’m out here!

4. Rene Kipp on August 8, 2014 at 9:38 am

Still in our S & B for now. It’s not huge at 1500 SF but just enough that I divide the cleaning up. I alternate weekend chores. One weekend it’s vacuum, dust and bathrooms. The next weekend it’s vacuum, mop and wash sheets. Laundry and dishes continue to keep my weekdays busy too…

• Becky on August 8, 2014 at 10:26 am

I almost cringe still just thinking about it Rene. That’s one of the chief reasons I never want to own a house – it ends up owning you in chores and upkeep.

It sounds like you’re preparing to go RVing, how much longer do you have until takeoff?

• Rene Kipp on August 8, 2014 at 9:48 pm

We set our departure date for June 4, 2016. Still a ways away, but I know it’ll fly by. We are already feeling anxious to be on the road. Baby steps…

• Becky on August 10, 2014 at 11:50 am

I remember being where you are Rene, and yes it’ll be here before you know it! Enjoy the journey and if you have questions feel free to e-mail me.

5. Dave Burdick on August 7, 2014 at 11:50 pm

When I lived in a 5th wheel, un-married, I did the same thing…put off the cleaning, but once I did it, it only took an hour or so. Now being married, there are blue jobs and pink jobs, as they say, but I pitch in when she allows me to pitch in…plus I don’t have a full-time job like I did back then.

Love your new pictures….can’t wait to hit Utah next month so that I can change our header again. –Dave (GoingRvWay.com)

• Becky on August 8, 2014 at 10:24 am

Yeah, working full-time hours definitely plays into it. There’s a lot of stuff I’d like to do that I put off because gas needs to get put in the tank and it needs to come from somewhere. Housekeeping was easier the first half of the year when I had more free time. Luckily as a full-time RVer I know those days will come again and this whole 40 hours a week thing is a temporary development.

Glad you like the new pictures! In a month when Julie comes out on sabbatical with me to work at Amazon I’ll have a photographer handy to take another header picture in Zion, I’m looking forward to that too. You’ll love your visit to Utah!

6. Jerry Minchey on August 7, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Becky,

I like your old header better. It clearly shows the freedom that the full-time RV lifestyle allows.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jerry

• Becky on August 8, 2014 at 10:20 am

I’m curious as to why you think the old one showcases full-timing freedom more than this one Jerry. To me they’re nearly identical types of shots, just in a different location. In both I’m looking away from the camera off into infinity in a picturesque location – off over the ocean in the last one, and out over the foothills in this one.

• Jerry Minchey on August 8, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Becky,

Maybe I’m being too critical. I like both pictures. I lived on Hilton Head Island for 17 years and spent a lot of time walking on the beach. Now I live in the NC mountains and spend a lot of time hiking trails and seeing waterfalls.

o me the feeling of walking on the beach seems like more freedom — it’s just the feeling I get when I look at the two pictures. Also, in the beach picture you show up more like a real person instead of like a silhouette.

Don’t change it back. I’ll get used to the new header — and change is good.

Jerry

• Becky on August 10, 2014 at 11:48 am

Nah Jerry I don’t think you’re being too critical, just expressing your opinion and there’s nothing wrong with that. I had a feeling it was because you associated the beach more with freedom than the mountains and I was curious about the story behind it, now I know. For me it worked the other way, because when I was living in SC I was still apartment bound and the beach seemed more ordinary being part of the regular scenery. I had never spent considerable time in the mountains, so the mountains seemed more like freedom to me. Now I’d say it’s about equal, but the beach picture was getting out of date and the mountain one was more recent, so up it went!

• Jerry Minchey on August 10, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Becky,

You mentioned that maybe there was a story behind my feelings about the rock picture. A lot of times there is more to a story than we think about on the surface. I don’t mean to get too personal here but . . .

I have hiked up to that rock at least a dozen times. The last picture I have of my son before he died he was standing on that very rock. In fact, I have that picture of him standing on that rock on his tombstone.

Thinking about it now, I understand why my initial feelings about the rock picture were not as comforting as the beach picture. That rock is very special to me and it always will be, but now I understand why the beach picture gave me more of a feeling of freedom. I honestly did not think about the reasons for my feelings when I made my original post.

Now that I know the reasons for my initial feelings, I love your rock picture.

Jerry Minchey

• Becky on August 11, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Jerry, I’m very sorry about the loss of your son, thank you for sharing what must be a difficult story to tell.

7. Furry Gnome on August 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Sorry you were only able to put off cleaning for one week. I usually try for much longer than that! But I like your new photos, even though I think I’ll always remember your old header – made me think you were walking along the beach dreaming about the future.

• Becky on August 8, 2014 at 10:14 am

Haha, only for one week… that’s good Gnome.

I’d like to change the header more frequently than I have been, but it requires some setting up to make sure I’m on the righthand side of the shot and small enough to fit entirely within the header frame, and then someone else to take the picture. When Julie gets out here I hope to get a Utah one up, she’s taken both of my header pictures and is IO’s semi-official photographer. πŸ™‚

8. Maura on August 7, 2014 at 11:32 am

HaHaHa! I do the same thing…must be the hang over effect of living in a S&B!

Maura
    Maura recently posted..Cicada or Katydid?My Profile

• Becky on August 8, 2014 at 10:11 am

Perhaps so! Or it could just be that I really detest cleaning. But for someone like me who detests cleaning, I’m in about the best situation I could be in – very little house to clean.

9. Jodee Gravel on August 7, 2014 at 8:42 am

Every time I clean the S&B, I think about how much easier it will be to clean with 1300 less square feet and all the “things” that fill it up :-). Of course cleaning is still cleaning…..and your drama so accurately captured the “excitement” of that activity!!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..143 Days Until Christmas, and Then…….My Profile

• Becky on August 8, 2014 at 10:09 am

So much excitement! No, not really. I was hoping I could get myself excited for the next time I have to clean, but it’s not working. πŸ˜‰

And yes yes yes to the benefits of a RV. So much less time spent on upkeep, so much more time to spend on the stuff that matters. I know you don’t get to go until next year, but it’ll be here sooner than you think Jodee!

10. Stephen on August 7, 2014 at 8:20 am

Only an hour, I’m jealous. It takes me more time just to wipe down all the woodwork. Nice little tale. Like the new page.

• Becky on August 8, 2014 at 10:06 am

Thanks, the old pictures were one of those things that was nagging at me everytime I saw them, kind of like cleaning actually. “I should really get new pictures up.” “How old are these? 3 years, wow.” “That header is so fuzzy looking, that was before I started editing contrast on my pics.” You get the idea. πŸ˜‰

And yes, I highly recommend moving into a tiny RV as a way to reduce housework and get a bunch of other benefits, but then again that’s me. Houses are good for other things I suppose.

11. Jo on August 7, 2014 at 7:51 am

Great to see your useful and humorous post, Becky.
    I met my new rig yesterday and slept in it last night…lovely.
    Unfortunately, I flew to SD for it, AAirlines lost my bag.
    Slowly shedding attachment to all that is in it to begin this new life.
    keeping perspective and priorities in check.

• Becky on August 8, 2014 at 10:03 am

Congrats on the new rig, how exciting! You’ll never forget that first night… at least, I don’t think I’ll ever forget my first night sleeping in the Casita – I didn’t have sheets or anything at that point.

You’re welcome for the post, I hope it brightened your day a little. Sorry to hear about the lost bag Jo, I hope you had nothing truly crucial in it but I’m glad to hear that you’re working around it. Take care.

12. Marsha on August 7, 2014 at 5:32 am

Hate cleaning, but cleaning the Casita is so much easier than our house.

• Becky on August 8, 2014 at 9:59 am

Amen Marsha. At my old digs, it would have taken me five hours to do a thorough cleaning. Hurrah for small living!

13. Shelly on August 7, 2014 at 5:29 am

I really enjoy your blog Becky, you are an inspiration to all woman! I too am dreaming of the day I can go full time. So until then, thanks for letting me live vicariously through you πŸ™‚

• Becky on August 8, 2014 at 9:58 am

You are so welcome Shelly, thank you for reading!

Do you have a set time that you want to be full-timing by, or is it still in the early planning stage?

• Shelly on August 11, 2014 at 6:38 am

It’s going to be several years before I can get out on the road. Pets, house, debt. But, I have a plan and will be ready when the time comes. Even though I would love to have a pet on the road, like you, I will be working.

• Becky on August 11, 2014 at 12:33 pm

You have the right attitude Shelly, just take those challenges one step at a time and it’ll be done before you know it.

I knew several RVers who worked at Amazon who had pets, cats and dogs, and they made it work. A lot does depend on the activity level and personality of your pet though. This is one of the topics that’s going in my small RVing eguide because I know it affects a lot of people who want to get on the road

14. Dawn on August 7, 2014 at 5:03 am

Me too.

• Becky on August 8, 2014 at 9:57 am

Glad to hear I’m not the only one Dawn. πŸ˜‰

15. Lynn on August 6, 2014 at 6:14 pm

That is a cute story and so true. Housework is a drag. RVwork is fun.
    Lynn recently posted..I am newly converted to Bluegrass, oh yeah!!My Profile

• Becky on August 8, 2014 at 9:57 am

One hour, just one hour and it still seems like an insurmountable task until it’s done Lynn, hehe.