A New Resource

I’d like to start out this post with a shout out to Russ and June, and Debbie, members of the IO community here, and the couple traveling in the Casita (if you gave me your names, I’ve forgotten them, sorry) who while not devout blog readers still knew who I was. These folks have all stopped in recently for a visit while I’ve been working out here in Zion, and I always enjoy meeting the people I’m writing for.

If you’re interested in meeting up with me on the road, the best thing to do is keep an eye on my RVillage location (done easily enough by friending me there), or when you notice on my blog posts my location getting close to yours or vice versa, sending me an e-mail or commenting on a recent post and letting me know your intentions. Dropping in without warning is okay if you’re just looking for a quick hello nice to meet you, but if you’d like to spend more time with me it’s best if you give me advanced warning, since I could easily be working or off exploring the area.

a-new-resource1

There’s no exciting new location to report on this week, as I spent most of my day off on Wednesday working on the new IO pictures and then still had to go into work for a couple hours, and then spent all of my day off on Thursday working at an ongoing project.

Quite a few of you commenters over the years have mentioned that I should write a book, and as it turns out I’ve been writing an eguide behind the scenes for quite a while now.

Getting started full-timing as a single young woman who was not making a fortune and had no prior RV knowledge was quite possibly the most challenging thing I’ve ever done. It ranks right up there with finishing the vet tech program at college, and I might rate it as easier than passing my board and state statutes exams only because I was so wildly and desperately passionate about finding a way to make my long-term dream of perpetual travel a reality.

But I still well remember the obstacles. The early months spent researching RVs, hours spent combing over my finances trying to figure out how much money it was going to take to get started, and nights spent worrying about what I would do if something broke down. Phase one ended that September day I took off from South Carolina, but that wasn’t the end. The first six or so months on the road was a different sort of roller coaster, adjusting to a completely different lifestyle where everything I owned had to fit in about 120 sq feet of space, and where there was no such thing as a consistent social network to belong to.

Being on the other side of those hurdles now, I can say that yes: the hard work and stress was without a doubt, completely worth it.

a-new-resource2

One thing that helped immensely when I was getting started was gathering pieces of advice from other younger full-timers who had successfully made the leap.

And so I’ve been writing a guide. There are plenty of general information ebooks out there for full-time RVing, so this one focuses on what I’m best at: Going full-timing for single, pre- retirement aged people, and doing it without going into debt or breaking the bank by sticking with a small RV. While everyone’s journey to full-timing is going to look a little different, I know this will be a help to those who’s circumstances are similar to mine.

More information will be coming soon. In the meantime, I wish you all a good week. This weekend has been the busiest of the season here at Zion Mountain Trading Post, and no one is entirely sure why, but it’s beaten out Memorial Day and the 4th of July. The campground has been full past capacity the last two nights and I’m looking forward to tomorrow when all of the weekend warriors are back at work and Zion quiets down some again. Today’s pictures were all taken inside the park.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Xscapers Convergence

January 19, 2016 | 31

The second gathering on my whirlwind tour of Quartzsite happens to be just down the road from the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, the drive over with Bertha and Cas was only about ten minutes. I’m going to the Xscapers convergence. Readers may have noticed in the right-hand column of IO, near the bottom, an icon that…

How To Avoid Loneliness as a Solo Full-time RVer (Pt. 2)

June 23, 2013 | 12

This is part 2 of a series. If you haven’t already, please read How To Avoid Loneliness as a Solo Full-time RVer (Pt. 1) first. Whether you fall more towards introvert or extrovert, whether you prefer deeper or more superficial conversation, there are two big areas to focus on when it comes to interaction with…

Things Are Coming Together

July 3, 2012 | 12

After 1 year, 6 months, 2 weeks and 2 days of dreaming, planning, and working hard it is now official: I’ll be a full-time RVer by the end of September! I had my phone interview with Amazon today and was offered a position at Coffeyville, KS. The interview was painless. Basically it was a bit…

1. edward on August 12, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Becky,

As a young full-timer you are part of a rising tide. you might wish to address this in your book.

First, before the housing bust ca. 2007, young people could get financing to buy a starter house with ease.

Second, the average American used to move every few years. When it was easy to buy and sell a house in a reasonable amount of time and without possibly losing a lot of money in the process, the choice of a more mobile lifestyle was a different proposition than it is today.

Being able to actually afford your own home and being able to take the best job available are serious advantages.

edward

• Becky on August 16, 2014 at 10:14 am

Yep, I have addressed this in my book Edward, times are a’changing.

2. Becky on August 11, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I love my parents and like visiting them, but I wouldn’t be happy living the life they lead, same with my brother who did more or less follow in their footsteps.

I think you’re correct about my “target audience” so to say, hopefully I can help some other young adults decide on a life that fits their goals and dreams better.

3. Jodee Gravel on August 11, 2014 at 9:40 am

A most excellent idea for the book, and certainly a logical “next step” in your personal evolution. I often cringe when parents “insist” that their older children “follow in their footsteps” when planning and preparing for their future. Plugging into a career, buying a house, planting themselves forever in one place……those are not the only options! They were mine at that age, but I’m so grateful my sons followed their own paths, took some risks, dared to do something different (while still responsible and legal 🙂 ). I suspect your book will be extremely relevant for all young adults faced with the desire to see a different kind of life but few examples to follow :-). I look forward to reading it and sharing it!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..143 Days Until Christmas, and Then…….My Profile

4. Debbie Granger on August 11, 2014 at 8:16 am

And it was so good seeing you, Becky. It is inspiring to know people who are living their dream and you certainly qualify. Such a unique and fulfilling life you are living. Besides the eguide, I hope one day you’ll write a book on this life you’re living,,,all the experiences that will forever live in your memory.

Safe and happy trails to you always.

Debbie

• Becky on August 11, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Perhaps someday Debbie, one project at a time, haha.

It was great seeing you again too, I hope you have a good time at Coffeyville this fall, I’ll be thinking about you while at Fernley.

5. Shelly on August 11, 2014 at 6:56 am

Awesome, I can’t wait for your book Becky. I have combed through your blog many times and I always find helpful information.
    Shelly recently posted..August in Florida. UGH!My Profile

• Becky on August 11, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Thanks Shelly, I’ve been writing it with folks like you in mind: people who are getting started, and remembering back to what I was in that position and what I did to progress forward.

6. Jerry Minchey on August 10, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Becky,

One thing I forgot when I was commenting on your book writing. I have found that spending $5 on Fiverr.com and getting a book cover designed and then printing it on glossy paper and having it on my desk is a strong motivator for me and it keeps me busy writing.

When I can picture the end in sight, it motivates me. Sometimes I don’t use the first book cover that I have designed and sometimes I modify it some, but I like having at least, a version of the book cover to look at while I’m writing.

Most writers like to have a working title for their book while they’re writing it. I like to have a working cover design.

Just my two cents worth,

Jerry

P.S. In fact, for my last book I spent $10 and had two different designers design book covers for me. That way I had two versions to look at. I soon discarded one of the designs and concentrated on just the one I liked, but I considered the $10 as money well spent — and it sure kept me going.

• Becky on August 11, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Hehe, I’ll be designing the cover myself (I was making digital art before I even owned a camera to take photographs with), but that is a good way to stay motivated Jerry.

When I was getting started RVing I kept photos of places I wanted to visit on my desktop so I’d see them and remind myself why I was working so hard.

• Jerry Minchey on August 11, 2014 at 12:59 pm

As you might expect Becky, I included your story and a link and recommendation to your website in my book. I will send you a copy when I get it printed.

Jerry

• Becky on August 12, 2014 at 10:49 am

Thanks Jerry, I look forward to reading it!

7. Jerry Minchey on August 10, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Becky,

Congratulations on getting your book going. It’s a great feeling when you get it finished.

I just finished a book looking at the RV lifestyle from the other end of the age spectrum. The title is,
    “Motorhome and RV Retirement — The most enjoyable and least expensive way to retire”

It should be available on Amazon in both ebook and paperback versions in about two weeks. I will have the ebook on Amazon for free for a few days and when it is free, I will post a link to it and let everyone on the forum know about.

Jerry Minchey

P.S. I’m looking forward to reading your book. Keep us posted on your progress. I love your writing style. It’s so enjoyable to read your articles.

• Becky on August 11, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Thanks Jerry, I’m really excited to get it done and out there for people to read!

It’s always interesting to hear about other’s full-timing experiences. One might think it would get boring reading the same kind of story over and over, but there are so many different ways to make full-timing work that it’s different every time.

8. Cherie @Technomadia on August 10, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I’m excited for your book.. you have such a unique perspective and wonderful writing style. It’ll be a great resource for many!
    Cherie @Technomadia recently posted..How We Keep Online: Illustrated Tour of our RV Mobile Internet SetupMy Profile

• Becky on August 11, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Thanks Cherie! I saw you and Chris plowing through the writing of your mobile internet book in a matter of weeks and it helped spur me to get serious on mine.

9. jonthebru on August 10, 2014 at 3:24 pm

You got it goin’ on!

“the hard work and stress was without a doubt, completely worth it.”

From my vantage point yes it was.

• Becky on August 11, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Well for me the first six months were still a struggle at times, after that settling in phase though the waters smoothed out considerably.

Glad you’re enjoying yourself Jon.

10. Ron on August 10, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Great idea for the e book. I am not single and I am retired but I am willing to bet many of your ideas will be useful to me as well and at the very least educational and entertaining. Good luck and will be waiting to hear more. Ron

• Becky on August 11, 2014 at 12:44 pm

A full list of covered topics will be coming soon Ron, I imagine you’re right and there will be a few things in there that you’ll find useful.

11. Ted on August 10, 2014 at 12:54 pm

The crowds are possibly related to schools starting classes earlier. L.A. Unified School District, for example, now starts instruction on Tuesday (used to be after Labor Day) so for lots of Los Angeles families this weekend is the end of summer fun.