Walking Among Giants

The Hat Shop: boulders on top of pillars.  Neat!

The Hat Shop: boulders on top of pillars. Neat!

Saturday, October 4

With departure from Zion and a return to the open road imminent tomorrow morning, time for updates is limited tonight, but I’ll do what I can.

Well really, there should have been plenty enough time to prep for travel and update the blog, but Julie and I got a bit distracted. We originally planned to drive into Zion this morning and hop the shuttle for a quick 1 mile round trip paved hike up to Weeping Rock, a feature neither of us had gotten to see yet. It would take maybe an hour and a half at most including the shuttle time, and then we’d have plenty of time to get back to the RV and pack up.

More Hat Shop

More Hat Shop

Hoodoos up close

Hoodoos up close

“But Hidden Canyon trail splits right off from this trail, and it’s only 2 miles round trip, it shouldn’t take that much longer.” Famous last words.

Hidden Canyon Trail is like Angel’s Landing lite, 850 feet of climb in 1 mile, but at the top it’s still chains and steep drop offs, luckily only on one side. At the top it ends at the mouth of a pretty impressive slot canyon, complete with water at the bottom due to the rain last week. What can I say, I can’t refuse a good hike. Photos from today will be coming up in a future post.

walking-among-giants4

A study in color

walking-among-giants5

Lost among giants

See the two rock bridges?

See the two rock bridges?

So anyway, running a bit short on time. The photos seen here are all from Monday the 29th when Julie and I went to Bryce Canyon. On this trip we managed to hike down below the rim among the hoodoos, man was that amazing. They’re so much bigger up close than they seem from the overlooks up top. We did the Hat Shop Trail, 4 miles round trip, and the popular 1.3 mile Navajo Loop. You could get lost in the maze of giants down there, and the contrast between green trees, blue sky, and orange rock is just incredible. Trust me, when you go visit Bryce, make sure you save time to do at least one walk down among the hoodoos.

So what’s next? Cas’ next resting place will hopefully be the Valley of Fire State Park in NV tomorrow night, and Lake Mead the night after that. After that we’re making a beeline for another National Park where we’ll have three nights to explore with luck. Which one? Well you’ll just have to wait and see!

Fall sunset. See the aspen leaves?

Fall sunset

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

New Mexico to Utah

June 25, 2014 | 28

Saturday, June 21 After leaving the TA in Moriarty, NM, I get back on I40. Immediately I see some tall hills rising above the flat terrain and I wonder if the road is going to go around or through them. Very soon I have my answer. After a long if not very steep climb, Bertha…

Holiday Driving

December 25, 2013 | 53

Colder weather than expected kept me from leaving Kansas yesterday, so I’m leaving this morning now that the sun is starting to come out. That may seem like a bad deal to have to drive on a holiday, but I’m so grateful that I get to decide where to spend Christmas. Warmer weather tonight…

Lake Mead and Hoover Dam

October 15, 2014 | 14

Monday, October 6 (continued) It’s not a long drive from Valley of Fire to Lake Mead. Tonight’s stop is Lake Mead RV Village at Boulder Beach, it’s quite a mouthful. The RV park here is nothing special. It’s large with numerous RV sites set up in various “streets”. Site are concrete with gravel between them,…

1. Rob Bryant on October 13, 2014 at 12:40 am

hello I know how u feel about the bikes. We bought 2 nice bikes that we paid quite a bit for.
    And always worried about theft and damage due to the elements. Then I was gifted a dept
    Store mountian bike. I spent then $40 repairing it. And love it for travel. don’t worry if it gets wet dirty or stolen. So watch for a low dollar bike. Kijji or police auction . And enjoy. Just toss it in the back of the truck.
    Just a few thoughts on bikes to travel with.
    Great pics
    Rob Bryant

• Becky on October 13, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Yeah Rob, that’s probably what I’ll end up with for a bike, I’m not going to be able to store it indoors with the space I have. 😉 Thanks for the advice.

2. Terri on October 11, 2014 at 11:15 am

Each of your posts keep me inspired to get out there and start up this lifestyle! Thank you for the gorgeous photos! Can’t wait to hear what you think about Amazon out in NV, as that is probably the location I will be looking to be at next fall. 🙂
    Terri recently posted..Little Things for Which I am ThankfulMy Profile

• Becky on October 13, 2014 at 12:24 pm

More about Amazon will be coming soon Terri, first day is tomorrow!

You’re very welcome for the photos and inspiration, it warms me to think that I’m helping others make the switch – this lifestyle has been so good for me. 🙂

3. Rene Kipp on October 5, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Hopefully you two get the chance to visit Yosemite! It’s a beautiful NP full of great hikes and photo ops. I was last there four years ago when my husband and I rode our motorcycle from our home in Sacramento. We actually stayed on the east side in a small town called June Lake. Enjoy!
    Rene Kipp recently posted..Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!My Profile

• Becky on October 6, 2014 at 10:13 pm

I hope we do too Rene! It’s on the list. 😉

4. Jodee Gravel on October 5, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Oh yes please! Walking among the hoodoos is a must do for me 🙂 They’re so magical. Love the hat shop – that’s exactly what it looks like!! Safe travels to Nevada, you’ve got some great stops picked out.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Holding My Breath As the Wind BlowsMy Profile

• Becky on October 6, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Some of those pillars looked so fragile Jodee! Made me glad to be walking upslope from them and not below… I’d be a little nervous about how exactly well those boulders were being held up… I hope you enjoy your time when you get there!

5. Maura on October 5, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Well, amazing photos, making notes as you recommend and so wishing you a safe and fun travel to your next destination!
    Maura recently posted..Villagers Unhinged!My Profile

• Becky on October 6, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Thanks Maura. Was a really fun day and yes I’m having a good time on the road now!

6. mike german on October 5, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Becky my brother lives in Reno and I am up there a lot and I often take the Casita…fyi a couple of things the Marina Rv park is ok but there ia RV park in Sparks that is the “Rivers Edge RV park” and I can highly recommend it as it is right on the Truckee river which has a bike path that goes some 20 miles up and down the river. It is really great. You will get snow there in Reno…and it can get sort of deep…also I come up and ski Tahoe with my brother several trips over the winter and this year i am bringing my 7 year old son with me as he has become quite the little skier. Will let you know when coming up if you and Lisa would like to go up with us. Tahoe is a spectacular place to ski with some areas you ski right down to lake. If you handle the snow you will be ok there in Sparks is a good area. A lot of Casino’s and you will be able to eat on the cheap too,..just don’t donate to much to the slot machines lol. Also if you are coming through Las Vegas this week I would love to buy you guys lunch or dinner. I am leaving Friday to go down to Lake Havasu for the world jet ski finals but will be here until until then. Also if you want a break from the Casita and want to spend the night in a hotel I would be happy to comp u a room at the Hampton Inn I manage and it is right on 95 as you go out of town to head up to Reno. Just email me and let me know. I always love reading about you adventures in the lingo of my generation “keep on truckin”.

• Becky on October 6, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Thank you very much for the offer Mike but we’ll be fine. Julie and I are on a schedule and we’ll be just driving through Vegas quickly tomorrow on our way to Death Valley, won’t be spending the night there.

I keep telling myself I need to get a bike for my adventures, but it hasn’t happened yet, I have no convenient place to store one at the moment. Some day for sure! You don’t need to worry about me donating too much money to the casinos while I’m up in Sparks, I don’t gamble at all. I am not opposed to visiting them for the restaurants though which I’ve always heard to sell decent food on the cheap. 😉 Julie likes skiing so we’ll definitely be hitting the slopes at least once while we’re there.

7. Reine in Plano on October 5, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Hikes are WAY more fun then packing and loading. And aren’t you GLAD you spent the time hiking. As long as you get everything in you can sort as you go. We’ve done a LOT of trips where stuff just gets thrown on the bed just before we head out of town and we organize the first night out -or the second or the third:) Since we aren’t full timing, sometimes just getting out of town is the critical part.

• Becky on October 6, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Agreed! And yes I am glad. Although I can say now there there is such a thing as too much hiking, this much physical activity wears you out after a while!

8. Gary - Retired Vagabond on October 5, 2014 at 10:33 am

Great pictures, makes me feel like I missed something when I was there last spring. Maybe next year on my way south for the winter.
    Thanks again for sharing the adventure.

• Becky on October 6, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Well, it just gives you a good excuse to go back Gary. I like leaving a place knowing there is still more there I’d like to see – keeps some of the mystique that you get visiting a place for the first time.

9. Ron on October 5, 2014 at 8:17 am

Beautiful photos, Thanks for sharing.

• Becky on October 6, 2014 at 9:40 pm

You’re welcome Ron, glad you liked them.

10. Jim@HiTek on October 5, 2014 at 7:04 am

Such beautiful pictures!

• Becky on October 6, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Thanks! Was good weather conditions this visit. 🙂

11. Ed @ Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets on October 4, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Wow! We’ve been to Bryce a couple of times and never went below the rim. Definitely won ‘ t make that mistake again. So, when are you needing to be in Reno or wherever their putting you?
    Ed @ Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets recently posted..Mornings and Morning WalksMy Profile

• Becky on October 13, 2014 at 12:20 pm