Photo: What’s Yours?

dream-pic

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Photo: Balance

December 1, 2014 | 16

On this, the busiest day of the year at Amazon, I thought it appropriate to bring up again my take on the work/life balance. I’ve worked very hard the past six weeks (just over three more to go!) and it might look to outsiders like I’ve failed to find the balance of work and play…

Photo: Being Thankful

November 26, 2014 | 27

Tomorrow, America celebrates thankfulness. Before I started traveling, I would take a little time on Thanksgiving to celebrate everything I had. Now, I like to practice thankfulness regularly, because I’ve discovered it leads to a happier life. There will always be another mountain to conquer, milestone to reach, dream to make into reality, but never…

Truckee River

November 3, 2014 | 12

Day 1 of the photo update experiment (read last week’s post if you missed it). The drive to Amazon from Sparks takes us on Interstate 80 east along the Truckee River. It may be a 45 minute drive to work, but it’s not all bad. Last week before Daylight Savings ended we’d be driving it during…

1. Russell on November 22, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Here is the link to my post we talked about to the Jelly Belly Factory tour in Fairfield, CA.
    http://life-in-rv.blogspot.com/2014/05/san-francisco-ca-to-travis-afb.html Just under 3 hours away from us. The parking lot is big enough for you to park your truck and trailer. Enjoy.
    Russell recently posted..AMAZON UPDATE, RENO ACES & 150 YEARS OF NEVADAMy Profile

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Thanks Russell! Mmmm Jelly Bellies…

2. Ed on November 22, 2014 at 8:25 am

Greetings Becky,
    My dream is to ride my horse and pony my mule around the western United States. Let me explain…I really enjoy your blog, but for me it is about vagabonding. Whether it is in a travel trailer, on horseback, or taking a bus to Mexico and Guatemala. My hero and inspiration is Bernice Ende (see endeofthetrail.com) She has ridden over 8000 miles with her critters. The photo you set up with this post is awesome! Way to go girl!!

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Oh! You should check out Bob too, Ed. He travels the US with a horse drawn wagon, pretty cool guy. I think his mileage is over 9,000 now. A few years ago there was a horrible accident where his carriage got hit, lost all of the horses. But he persevered and he’s still out there living his dream. http://www.wagonteamster.com/

And hey, travel is travel, no matter which form it takes it’s all good. 🙂

3. Jodee Gravel on November 20, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I’ve honestly had a very blessed life and now our dream of being on the road full-time is all falling in line nicely. Seeing the dream coming to life, long before it arrives, has given me a very happy life.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Sometimes Just Believing Isn’t EnoughMy Profile

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Good for you Jodee. I noticed that once I started making progress toward getting on the road I was in general happier too, even though nothing had really changed yet. Just knowing the change was coming made a huge difference.

4. Rene Kipp on November 20, 2014 at 9:46 am

When we finally start our nomadic full time life, my dream is to be able to visit with our children for extended periods of time. One is in Maryland. The other in Oklahoma.
    Rene Kipp recently posted..Not Our Usual WeekendMy Profile

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:19 pm

They live quite a ways apart then Rene, but with a house on wheels that’s no problem! I’m rooting for you.

5. J Dawg on November 20, 2014 at 6:56 am

I woke up and I’m living it now, traveling the country in my RV. Hope to stay healthy and be able to do it for much longer.

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Good for you J Dawg. 🙂

6. Terri on November 20, 2014 at 6:30 am

My dream is to live simply and to live a meaningful life. I think I’ve decided I will be moving south (where it’s cheaper to live) and start working as a vet assistant or vet technician. So I’ve been meaning to email you and ask you questions about it. I’m looking now to Savannah, GA as a possible location to move to (without an RV, I’m thinking to find just a small place to rent with my herd.) I’ve started volunteering with livestock animals at a local animal rescue and am trying to find a private vet’s office that will let me volunteer with them too so I can get a different type of experience. (Otherwise, I’ve also worked in adoption at one of my local shelters.)

It looks like you are living your dream, Becky, I’m so glad!
    Terri recently posted..Getting Rid of My Debt: FINALLY some good news (I think)My Profile

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:17 pm

I just asked Julie, since she’s the one with actual companion animal practice experience (all my vet tech work was in research). She says there’s a vet clinic down in Savannah that is in this old gorgeous Victorian house and you should try to get an interview there just so you can get a tour of the place. 😉 Savannah was about 45 minutes away from where we lived before I started traveling. Housing costs there are varied depending on neighborhood, but because it’s a college town you can find cheaper accommodations than where we were in Bluffton, SC. Good luck to you Terri, you’re figuring your dream out too bit by bit!

7. Dawn on November 20, 2014 at 5:24 am

What a great question, Becky. My dream is for Jim & I to fully immerse ourselves in the West once we’re both retired (Jim’s already, my last day of work is 12-31!). Our list is long & our hearts are full of love for this patch of Earth west of the Rockies. We hope to meet you out there one of these days. Take good care–hope work is going well.

• Becky on November 20, 2014 at 5:33 pm

A good dream Dawn, you’re last day of work is coming up soon too! I love the west, the scenery is so dramatic. I hope we get the chance to meet someday too.

8. Mike on November 20, 2014 at 4:07 am

Purchased a new travel trailer September 1, 2014. Two months of upgrades; Solar and an inverter. Moved in to a local RV park full time Oct 25. Last day of full time work this Friday, November 21st. Thaw out (got caught with below average temps this month), tie up some loose ends and on the road December 1st, 2014. Thanks for your blog.

• Becky on November 20, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Congrats Mike, you’re nearly there! Bet that last day of work will feel great, where do you think you’ll go first?

• Mike on November 21, 2014 at 4:01 am

Definitely somewhere above freezing. (Got caught in the Polar Vortex the last couple of weeks. 25 deg below normal.) Probably the southwest.

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Eeep, good plan!

• Dawn on November 22, 2014 at 5:59 am

Congratulations on the last day of work yesterday! That’s a wonderful feeling I”m sure!!! I have 10/16/15 circled on my calendar for me. Can.not.wait. Enjoy your new life!

• Mike on November 22, 2014 at 9:16 am

Thanks. I am looking forward to the next adventure.

9. Karla Kirk on November 20, 2014 at 3:53 am

Have owned my trailer since last March. My dream is to be able to hitch up, level up and park without so much help from others. I appreciate the help but don’t want to depend on it. I am going to purchase some hitching rods like you have or the kind with balls on top. Backing in to park is very difficult for me.

• Becky on November 20, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Karla, what really helped me was practicing in an empty lot. No one around to help or make me nervous, no obstacles to hit if I failed. Bring cones or something to outline a “spot” to back into. To multiple times for an hour or two until you feel better about it. And yes the hitching rods help for hooking up, I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t need mine often anymore unless I’m trying to hook up at a sharp angle. You’ll get better!

10. Matt on November 19, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Getting there like everybody else. Or should I say, on the road?

• Becky on November 20, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Either works Matt, best of luck!

11. Becky on November 19, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Congrats Cline, you’re almost there! There’s nothing like the feeling you get the first day on the road. Have a great time.

12. Old Fat Man on November 19, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I am living mine as The Old Fatman.

• Becky on November 19, 2014 at 5:25 pm