Photo: Sparks Marina

sparks-marina-rv-park

My current home base, Sparks Marina RV Park. It’s probably the fanciest RV park I’ve ever stayed in, the pads are concrete and level, the grass is fake and immaculate year round, and the bathrooms get cleaned twice a day. I wouldn’t pay for something like this myself but since Amazon is footing the bill…

This was taken soon after Julie and I arrived, when the trees still had leaves. No time to take a more current one today, I spent most of my time before work on the phone with Experion trying to verify my identity so I can sign up for insurance on the Marketplace.  Just another day in the life.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Photo: DFW7

November 4, 2015 | 12

Today my carpool buddies and I worked ten hours instead of eleven and we got out while it was still light (most of the driving to and from work happens in the dark, see picture at left) so I thought I should snag a picture of the outside of the Haslet warehouse while I had the chance.…

Photo: Blue Skies

October 26, 2015 | 18

Those of you who’ve been following me at least a year know that when Amazon starts piling on the overtime that the two or three hours I get that aren’t devoted to work or sleeping are devoted to eating, showering, and relaxing, and time is at a premium. Well, the Receive department is on mandatory overtime,…

Mountain Moods

August 19, 2016 | 30

My current camp near Steamboat Springs CO is, in my opinion, the prettiest I’ve ever had. The sweeping views at the top of this hill are incredible and I just can’t get enough of it. It’s been a stormy few days up here at 10,000 feet and today I’d like to share some of the pictures…

1. Lance G. on November 23, 2014 at 4:55 pm

lol. Becky, I shop so much at Amazon. I’ve been patronizing Amazon since 1998 when I was in college and purchased textbooks from them. At that time, Amazon ONLY sold books, none of the other ‘crap’ they sell these days. 😉 All the ‘crap’ some how ends up at my house though. lol.

I’ve taken receipt of countless shipments from Sparks NV. 😉 I wonder if any of my packages had any dealings with you. 🙂

I’ll have to read up on your postings about working at Amazon. They have interesting hiring/work policies it seems. Do they only hire people with RVs? If I lived locally there but didn’t have a RV/trailer/camper — say I lived in an apartment — does Amazon preclude me from being hired?

Glad you have some nice amenities. Clean restrooms is such a blessing. 🙂

• Becky on November 24, 2014 at 3:58 pm

It’s possible I have handled some of the things you’ve bought Lance. 🙂

The CamperForce program is for RVers only, if you’re local and looking to work at Amazon seasonally you’ll go through Integrity, it’s the temp agency that handles peak workers for Reno. The pay is more per hour than the campers get, but they won’t be paying your rent and utilities. 😉 They have a site dedicated specifically to Amazon Reno right now, not sure how long this link will be viable:

• Lance on November 25, 2014 at 2:16 am

Thanks for the link Becky. I actually don’t live around that area and am not looking for work at Amazon. 🙂 I was just curious about the policy. But I’m getting a better picture thanks to your explanation.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. Hope you get Thursday off!

Lance

• Becky on November 26, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Ahh I see. CamperForce is handled by Amazon directly, other temp workers are brought in through temp agencies (and managed by those temp agencies).

2. Dawn in MI on November 23, 2014 at 5:55 am

Not my kind of camping, all wedged in there like that..but works for a place to stay while you’re working for sure. And clean bathrooms are a plus too!

• Becky on November 24, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Yeah it’s a RV park vs. a camping situation where there’s more space but less amenities. At least, that’s what I’ve always considered to be the difference between the two. Normally I’d agree with you Dawn, but when I’m working Amazon I’d rather have the former: more convenient when time is scarce, it’s not like I get to do a lot of sitting outside anyway with the cold weather and lack of time.

3. Amber on November 22, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Looks like a nice company perk to have such a nice place to stay while there. Hope you get a few minutes to enjoy it every now and then.
    Amber recently posted..Airstream in the air!My Profile

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I do Amber! A few, here and there. 😉

4. Pleinguy on November 22, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Nice evening shot. I agree about not paying for a lot of fancy stuff. Most likely, I wouldn’t use it anyway. Hope work is going well.
    Pleinguy recently posted..Rio PecosMy Profile

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Hope all is going well with you too Plein. 🙂

5. Jodee Gravel on November 22, 2014 at 6:18 am

With your long hours of work and commuting I’m glad your accommodations are a bit fancier for the short time you get to take advantage of them 🙂 Love the header – did Julie take it?
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Sometimes Just Believing Isn’t EnoughMy Profile

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Yep she did! That’s Yosemite, if you look really closely you can see Nevada falls to the right of me in the distance, it’s pretty tiny in this shot though.

6. Jim@HiTek on November 22, 2014 at 5:53 am

@Phyllis, if I may, 25′ is fairly standard and fits most every situation from the cable head to your RV in RV parks.

To save money and recycle, you can find cables, and cable accessories, in thrift stores. You might have to go to a couple different stores a couple different times over a couple weeks, but you should find something to suit your needs fairly quickly.

Make sure the ends are in good shape, and there’s no obvious cuts or big kinks in the cable.

Have fun!
    Jim@HiTek recently posted..Rome…continued.My Profile

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Thanks for helping Jim, I didn’t know the answer to that because I don’t use the cable in mine.

• Phyllis on November 23, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Thanks Jim, I have a cable my son gave me but it looks really long but it might fit your 25′

suggestion. I will measure it, I almost trashed it.

Phyllis in Oklahoma

7. Bruce & Aloma on November 22, 2014 at 4:44 am

It’s nice to have a park like that occasionally. Good for both of you.

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Thanks guys.

8. dawn from camano island on November 22, 2014 at 4:07 am

Wow! This place is posh! With your long hours, it must be super nice to have so many conveniences. Clean bathrooms and year-round green grass! Woot woot!

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Yep it’s nice! The grass still confuses me though. When we had a little ice two days ago it got all crunchy and was odd to walk on, haha. My brain doesn’t equate cold temps with green grass, seems unnatural. 😉

9. Phyllis on November 21, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I bet you even have cable. If you do what length do I need to buy? I haven’t used mine yet in my Casita.

Phyllis in Oklahoma

• Becky on November 22, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Yep they have cable Phyllis, but I know nothing about it. My Casita is wired for cable but I don’t have a TV. I bet if you went to a Casita forum you could figure it out. 🙂