More on Sparks Marina RV Park

sparks-marina-post1As nothing exciting happened this week aside from a lot of work, today I’ll finishing telling you about the RV park I’ve been calling home, and talk a little about Reno.

It’s a niiiiiiice place.

For someone who always chooses the cheapest possible accommodations when I’m paying myself, Sparks Marina feels like the Ritz. Level, paved sites and well manicured grounds. Four shower house/bathrooms kept immaculately clean and in great condition. A clubhouse with exercise equipment, desks with Ethernet cables, leather furniture with a big screen TV, puzzles, books, a ping pong table, a large outdoor seating area with three large gas grills. And of course the outdoor pool, and the hot tub which stays open year round.

When we first arrived, the WiFi was pretty bad. It dropped a lot and during peak hours was often unusably slow, sometimes we weren’t able to connect at all. Two weeks ago it got updated, and while it still occasionally drops I can always connect and it runs fast for campground WiFi. I can even game on it.

sparks-marina-post2

The location is also handy. It’s actually in town, which is also a first for me. There are restaurant, grocery, and shopping options all within walking distance. Heck, even the IMAX theater is within walking distance. Brick walls surround the park and keep the privacy.

I definitely like the Fernley location over Coffeyville. There’s more to see in the area, plus it has all of the amenities of a larger town. The Sierra Nevada range off to the west is visible right from my campsite, I can see it snowing over the ski resort way up there when it’s sunny and warm down in the valley.

sparks-marina-post3

It still gets cold at night. 15 has been the lowest temperature so far. From reports I’ve gotten from those who’ve done CamperForce here in previous years and seasonal averages found on weather sites, Fernley is the coldest of the four sites. But it’s a drier, sunnier kind of cold which I prefer.

So overall, things are going well even if there isn’t a lot to report. Money is being made, I’m finding things to do during my meager time off, and if one has to be stuck in colder weather for several months, at least it’s I picked a good spot.

Related Posts

Forget about what the world tells you your life should be like. At IO I teach people how to ditch the status quo and go full-time RVing before retirement. Included at no additional charge: seizing your dreams, living boldly, and making a difference.

1. David Michael on November 26, 2014 at 8:37 am

Keep on going!!! When we worked at the Fernley Warehouse last year for Amazon, we traveled to Sparks on Saturdays. Great fun. What I remember most was the cold, cold, cold that got down to -10 and our black and gray water tanks froze. It was an adventure to be sure. Fortunately, our supervisor in ICQA was a gem (Mary Lou) and once I found my way around the warehouse without getting lost, I enjoyed the work.

Kind of cooled off RVing for my wife, however, after eight years as full-timers. We just moved into a lovely apt in Eugene and my wife loves getting back to our community and gardening. So we will be half-timers. Found a great job for afternoon and weekend work as a wine rep for wine tasting demos at a variety of stores. Of course at age 78, our viewpoints are a bit different than the younger set, but I love the simple and carefree life of a full-timer. Enjoy the moment!
    David Michael recently posted..Eastern Sierra NevadaMy Profile

• Becky on November 26, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Oh don’t worry David, I will enjoy. 🙂

Forecasters are saying this will be a warmer than usual winter for this area, I hope their right because I could do without negative temps. 8 or 9 was as cold as it got in Coffeyville last year and that was cold enough.

I’m glad you and your wife enjoyed the location and the work, not everyone does. The Campers I’ve talked to who work in ICQA seem to enjoy what they do.

Take care, enjoy Eugene!

2. mike german on November 25, 2014 at 10:47 am

Becky leaving in the morning for Reno to see my brother and mom and coming back to Vegas on Sunday….wondering if I should bring my skis? Do you know if the mountains have snow and what areas are open?

• Becky on November 26, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Well, I’m too late as morning is long past now. The ski resort nearest Reno opened two weeks ago (limited runs), I have no idea how good of a place it is though having not gone there myself yet.

3. Jodee Gravel on November 25, 2014 at 7:08 am

Clean, hot showers and a nice clubhouse to stretch out while also out of the cold – those sound like they would sweeten the deal for this gig. Nearby access to necessities and entertainment when you’re already driving so far for work is a real bonus as well. So glad you’ve got a nice spot, even if you’re not there too much 🙂 Now the cold….I would look like the little brother in Christmas Story just to get to those clean, hot showers!!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Escrow – Coming Soon to an Amusement Park Near You!My Profile

• Becky on November 26, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Haha! But the hot showers feel so nice when the weather is cold. You might go in all bundled up, but you don’t walk back to the RV that way.

4. Ken on November 25, 2014 at 7:05 am

How does the Casita handle the cold? Is it well insulated and is the electrical heat enough to keep you warm? Or do you also have a propane heater? Do you have to worry about bursting pipes?

• Becky on November 26, 2014 at 8:19 pm

If you go to the “Useful Stuff” tab at the top of the site Ken you’ll find a link to “About Amazon’s CamperForce”, that links to my cold weather posts. 🙂 Basically: Yes electrical is enough (to a degree), no I don’t have a propane heater, yes I do have to worry about freezing pipes if it gets down into the single digits or colder. I’m avoiding that problem this winter by living in my RV dry, got it winterized a week ago.

5. Marcia GB in MA on November 25, 2014 at 5:11 am

Sounds and looks like a fine place to be when you’re not working. I hope the weather doesn’t turn too cold for you. And in less than a month you’ll be on the road again!

• Becky on November 26, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I hope so too Marcia! So far, so good. And yes, it’ll be nice to be traveling again. 🙂

6. Wanderernotlost on November 25, 2014 at 3:14 am

Hi Becky, I have been following you off and on for two years enjoying your travels with you vicariously. This is the first time I have commented to you. I just want to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving and it seems you have yourself a nice little spot for the Holidays…. You’ve come a long way, Baby…. God Bless….. (stay bundled up)…

• Becky on November 26, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Glad you decided to come out of the woodwork and comment Wander. 🙂 Thanks, and you take care as well.

7. TravelBug-Susan on November 24, 2014 at 8:42 pm

We worked at Fernley, Nevada Amazon in winter of 2011. It was very cold! For a couple of nights we had -4 F. Our campsite was in Fallon.

I must say, though, we had the most gorgeous sunrises and sunsets on our way to and from work.

After Amazon, we spent three months in Sparks Marina RV Park and enjoyed walking and bike riding to and around the lake. We also liked visiting Scheels.

You’re right, the dry cold is great, but bone-chilling when the wind blows.
    TravelBug-Susan recently posted..Birthdays – Thurs., Nov. 20, 2014My Profile

• Becky on November 26, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I hope forecasters are right about this part of the country experiencing higher than normal temps this winter. 😉

And I’m glad you had a chance to enjoy Sparks Marina, it’s a pretty neat place.

8. Pleinguy on November 24, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Luxury camping for sure. Hope you get to enjoy some of the amenities while you’re there. Not sure I would endure the cold though. Make lots of dough and don’t wear yourself out.
    Pleinguy recently posted..Rio PecosMy Profile

• Becky on November 26, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I have had time here and there. Luckily I still have my winter coat from Wisconsin, and having my days off spaced out is kinda nice.

9. Ron on November 24, 2014 at 5:44 pm

• Becky on November 26, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Yeah, IO needs a like button, doesn’t it?

10. jonthebru on November 24, 2014 at 5:32 pm

IMAX within walking distance! When you get a chance go see “Interstellar” It is supposed to be best on an IMAX screen.

• Becky on November 26, 2014 at 7:39 pm

That’s what we saw Jon, and yes, it was amazing to see on that huge screen, although I would have been happier if they’d turned the sound down a little, spent half of it with my fingers in my ears. 😉

11. dawn from camano island on November 24, 2014 at 5:20 pm

You have such a positive attitude. All this & you can even game! Jim & I are trying to figure out how much solar we need & I’m already envious of streaming anything, playing games & opening more than 25 web sites a day! Take good care!

• Becky on November 26, 2014 at 7:37 pm

A positive attitude makes a huge difference Dawn, whether you’re full-timing or not. 🙂

I’ve looked into solar on and off since I started traveling. I don’t have it figured out yet either, except to know that I’ll want it eventually, good luck!

And yeah, you don’t appreciate endless internet until it’s no longer endless. Enjoy it when you can!

Have practical RVing advice and inspirational travel stories sent straight to your inbox.

Your email is safe with me and you can unsubscribe anytime.