Photo: Black Friday

Not really a "Black Friday" photo, but who wants pictures of busy store parking lots? Have Lake Tahoe instead.

Not really a “Black Friday” photo, but who wants pictures of busy store parking lots? Have Lake Tahoe instead.

When Julie and I went into work yesterday, we thought about how we were going to need to pick up salad stuff on the way home for our lunches.

And then we remembered, oh yeah, it was going to be Black Friday. Grocery shopping at WalMart at 5:30 in the morning is great most days of the year, it’s virtually empty. But this morning it would have been a really poor idea. The lettuce will wait. Amazon’s busiest day is three days away still: Cyber Monday.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Haslet CamperForce Review

January 2, 2016 | 26

Some numbers from my Haslet CamperForce experience, I know how much people love numbers! Total weeks worked: 9 weeks, 6 days. Total hours worked: 480 Base pay: $10.75/hour Differential pay for working Saturday and Sunday: $1.00/hour, started early November Overtime pay: Time and a half for everything over 40 hours in one week – $16.125/hour…

Amazon Season and One Year Nomadiversary

September 13, 2013 | 41

It’s getting to be that time of year again. This past weekend the heat wave finally broke in the Badlands and while highs are still in the upper 70’s and low 80’s, the air definitely holds the feel of early fall now. With the change in season has come an influx in e-mails asking about…

CamperForce Receive Dept. Job Descriptions

November 13, 2015 | 27

Four weeks of CamperForce are in the bag and six more remain. In the Receive department where I’m working here in Haslet, TX, everyone continues to be on 55 hours a week mandatory although for CamperForce that’s only 50 hours mandatory as we have to work that 5th day, but do not have to work…

1. Ed @ Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets on November 29, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Sounds like you’re enjoying working in Fernley and staying at Sparks Marina. You have such a good attitude. It’s contagious. And your Thanksgiving words…such wisdom coming from a youngster. Good for you.
    Ed @ Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets recently posted..News of my Death are Unfounded…I ThinkMy Profile

• Becky on November 30, 2014 at 2:00 am

Yep, a good attitude makes a heck of a lot of difference. I agree with the person that said that life is 10% what happens to us, and 90% how we react to it. 🙂

• Ed @ Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets on December 1, 2014 at 11:37 am

Interestingly, I saw a local news feature this morning promoting today, Cyber Monday. The reporter was standing on a balcony over looking the floor of a Amazon fulfillment center in San Bernardino. What was really interesting was that the reporter said that for addresses in the general vicinity of the San Bernardino vicinity, it was possible to place the order today, have it shipped today AND have it delivered today. WOW!!!

• Becky on December 4, 2014 at 1:56 am

Amazon’s working hard at same day delivery Ed, that and possibly world domination. 😉

2. Mike on November 29, 2014 at 8:34 am

Beautiful. I can not wait.

• Becky on November 30, 2014 at 1:59 am

Come on out. The water’s fine.

• Mike on November 30, 2014 at 7:55 am

Slight delay bugging out. 35 deg below normal. -15 tonight, wind chill down to -35. Should be able to head out Tuesday.

• Becky on December 4, 2014 at 1:55 am

Yikes, I hope you stayed warm and are now happily on the road. 🙂

3. Jodee Gravel on November 29, 2014 at 7:01 am

Thank you for that much more lovely reminder of all we have to be thankful for on this planet 🙂 Lettuce can wait indeed!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Why I’m ThankfulMy Profile

• Becky on November 30, 2014 at 1:59 am

We got it Saturday morning instead, when WalMart was once again pretty empty. 🙂

4. Terri on November 29, 2014 at 5:34 am

I KNEW you wouldn’t show us a pic of a shopping lot!! I personally stay away from all that crap on the day after thanksgiving! Much better photo choice, if I do say so myself! Good luck on Monday, I know you’ve been gearing up for this for a while now. 🙂
    Terri recently posted..Little Things for Which I am ThankfulMy Profile

• Becky on November 30, 2014 at 1:57 am

Yeah, it would have been pretty boring wouldn’t it?

Thanks! Mandatory overtime tomorrow, I’m sure we’ll have the 11th hour this week again.

5. dawn on camano island on November 29, 2014 at 4:45 am

Ramen, we get Sunday delivery too & here in our fairly rural area, the post office carriers deliver them. Go figure. Becky, I can totally relate. I was going to shop up north (the metropolis of Mount Vernon/Burlington, WA) & had a thought very similar to yours–“Uh, no.” So I shopped locally & no one was there! It was great for me but the local business owners–not so much. I would love to see crowds in local businesses!!

• Becky on November 30, 2014 at 1:56 am

Yeah I understand Dawn, the town I grew up in has no downtown anymore.

• Ramen on November 30, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I wasn’t able to see who did the Sunday delivery today. They threw the box over the gate and took off. It was a watch for my mother too =( Luckily no damage, the postal worker usually knocks on the door or leaves it hidden behind the planters for me.

My brother had a store in the downtown area. All of the shoppers would rather shop at the newer strip malls off the highways. The downtown is also where the bums congregate due to where the “services” are. Too many break-ins, security problems and ever growing increases in rent, he decided to close shop and work for someone else.

• Becky on December 4, 2014 at 1:54 am

Glad the package was okay Ramen.

Sorry to hear about your brother, I hope he’s enjoying his new job.

6. jonthebru on November 28, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Thats a great line: “Accidentally almost went shopping today.” To funny!

• Becky on November 30, 2014 at 1:55 am

Julie once “accidentally went to downtown Chicago” on Black Friday. Couldn’t find parking anywhere. 😉

7. Ramen on November 28, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I placed a good sized Amazon order yesterday on turkey day using your link again. 2 of the items shipped out today from Fernley NV =) Its arriving on Sat. I have 2 other items arriving on Sunday with no extra cost. That looks like something new. If you have prime and order early enough on Friday, certain items can arrive on Sunday in a few locations. USPS looks to be handling Sunday deliveries.

I hope you’re ready for the month ahead =)

• Becky on November 30, 2014 at 12:25 am

Ready and able Ramen, thanks for using my link!