Photo: Balance

balanceOn this, the busiest day of the year at Amazon, I thought it appropriate to bring up again my take on the work/life balance.

I’ve worked very hard the past six weeks (just over three more to go!) and it might look to outsiders like I’ve failed to find the balance of work and play in my life that sounds so appealing to those who choose to live full-time on the road. Why go RVing when you still have to work full time to be able to support yourself?

My answer is that the balance isn’t found on a day to day basis, it’s more month to month. When I’m working, I take seasonal jobs for a few months at a time, and during those months I work 40 or so hours a week (more at Amazon) and while I have my days off like any American working a 9-5, the real magic of full-timing for those of us who are pre-retirement comes between the jobs (or projects, depending on the kind of job you’re working/running). Between my seasonal jobs, I have weeks and sometimes months during which I hardly work at all, and get to spend it all traveling, exploring, and expanding on my hobbies. The balance is there, it’s just not obvious until you take a step back to look at the whole year.

Related Posts

1. Furry Gnome on December 2, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I really like that new header photo! That certainly shows some balance in your life!

• Becky on December 4, 2014 at 2:11 am

Thanks Gnome! That’s Yosemite: Half-Dome is the mound on the left, to the right of me in the far back is Nevada Falls.

2. Jodee Gravel on December 2, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Working different jobs in different places is a wonderful means of balance in itself….even without the extended down time. I always do better with short term goals even if the means is hard work 🙂
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Why I’m ThankfulMy Profile

• Becky on December 4, 2014 at 2:09 am

I hear you Jodee. I can do about anything for 3 months. I’d go crazy if I had to work at Amazon all year.

3. Maura on December 2, 2014 at 10:31 am

I know what your saying as we do the same, but as was already mentioned the times in between work are a lot more than offered by the average 9-5 job. Enjoy the remainder of Amazon!
    Maura recently posted..Just a Thought on the Christmas SeasonMy Profile

• Becky on December 4, 2014 at 2:09 am

I will Maura. I like my 6+ weeks of vacation a year (was about 6 months this year).

4. David Swanson on December 2, 2014 at 5:12 am

Great that you are exploring balance. My work balance like many was to work 45 years, then take 20 years off. I like yours better. 🙂

• Becky on December 4, 2014 at 2:07 am

Well, I can’t say for sure David. For those who work hard and are paid well and able to retire early and have 20 years of good health to go travel: maybe it would be worth it (especially after the work is done!). Problem is, you never know if you’ll be one of the people lucky enough to get 20 good years.

5. Karla Kirk on December 2, 2014 at 4:58 am

I agree with Ed and the others. It is so neat that you are able to do this while you are young. If you waited till you were fully retired you would have missed many memorable experiences. You have to do what your heart leads and don’t let negative opinions steal your joy.

• Becky on December 4, 2014 at 2:03 am

You got it Karla. I’m determined to be one of those old people who won’t shut up to strangers about all the crazy things they’ve done.

6. dawn on camano island on December 2, 2014 at 3:21 am

Good morning, Becky! The busiest day of the year is behind you–congratulations! Love this post. Life is all about balance…we all make choices that either keep us balanced or take us away from that. Seems to me that your few weeks of intense work at Amazon & your occasional gigs at other times provide you with the opportunity to do what you love–“go RV’ing.” And Ed is right on target–live your life & don’t worry about what other people think or say. Take good care, Becky!

• Becky on December 4, 2014 at 2:02 am

Good evening Dawn! (oh wait, 2 am…guess it is morning sorta?). The pendulum will be swinging the other way in less than three weeks and it’ll be back to traveling and exploring. Go RVing indeed. 🙂

7. Pleinguy on December 1, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Have those breaks between gigs is a pretty sweet deal. Not many folks get that much time off from their job. Being able to travel and do what you want that often is wonderful. Keep at it!
    Pleinguy recently posted..Percha DamMy Profile

• Becky on December 4, 2014 at 2:00 am

I certainly will Plein!

8. Ed @ Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets on December 1, 2014 at 5:00 pm

I guess I’m #1 in commenting. As far as we are concerned, you have perfect balance in your life considering your relative youth. The fact that because of that you have to take an occasional job, so what? You’re living the dream. Not many 20 or 30-somethings can say that. We are in our 60s and, fortunately, when we were working corporate jobs, we were also able to travel and do the RV thing, although sporadically. Now we’re planning full-timing it within the next 12 months. In hindsight, we would have loved to have done what you are doing at the age you are doing it. Please don’t think for a moment that you don’t have “balance”. And also, don’t give a fig about other’s opinions as to whether YOU have balance.
    Ed @ Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets recently posted..News of my Death are Unfounded…I ThinkMy Profile

• Becky on December 4, 2014 at 2:00 am

Congrats Ed! 12 months or less, that’s not too far to go at all. 🙂

And it’s not that other people have been commenting on my lack of balance. I wrote this as more of a reminder for other people my age who worry about finding that balance for themselves: if you can’t find it every day like a retiree who doesn’t have to work – don’t worry. You can find it in other ways by taking breaks between jobs. 🙂