Photo: Chance

photo-chance

This is Chance, Julie’s cat and our current third roommate. He’s a special needs kitty that Julie took home from her vet tech job when the previous owner became unable to take care of him. He has allergies, IBD, and no teeth, but he’s very sweet and loving. At 15, we wondered how he would do traveling, but he adapted to the small space quite easily. He doesn’t mind living in the Casita at all, but he doesn’t like travel days. Luckily, my kind of traveling involves lots of time spent in one location, so it’s worked out well.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Photo: Out Early

December 19, 2014 | 18

Last night at Amazon, we got about three hours of work in before running out of stuff to do. The managers called all us campers down to the standup area, and while they couldn’t legally tell us to “go home”, they strongly suggested it. So after confirming that we still got our bonus if we…

Photo: DFW7

November 4, 2015 | 12

Today my carpool buddies and I worked ten hours instead of eleven and we got out while it was still light (most of the driving to and from work happens in the dark, see picture at left) so I thought I should snag a picture of the outside of the Haslet warehouse while I had the chance.…

Photo: Sunrise

November 7, 2014 | 16

Nope, that’s not a sunset. It’s an extremely rare IO sunrise picture. Take a good gander at it folks, because this may be the only time such a creature ever graces the pages of this blog. With 11 hour days and a 45 minute drive tacked on either side, we’re literally working sundown to sunup. Gee, there sure…

1. Rick on December 18, 2014 at 3:27 am

Thanks for the reply and the link – sorry that I missed it from your blog. I think we’ll travel well – as for my cat leaving the Casita -she’s been pretty good about not leaving the house, but I’ll definitely be careful with this while she’s in the Casita- she is chipped.

• Becky on December 19, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Good luck Rick! Taking a pet traveling with you can be very rewarding.

2. Becky on December 17, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Here you go Rick. https://interstellarorchard.com/2012/06/04/cats-in-a-small-rv/

In short:

Yes, both cats Julie has brought with her into the Casita have got out at least once while traveling. Will yours? You know his/her personality better than I do, some do and some don’t, I make recommendations for micro-chipping in that article in case they do.

The cat litter box goes under the rear bed (which stays a bed all the time)

Yes, the cat litter gets everywhere. We sweep it all out twice weekly, but to keep from stepping on it it’d have to be daily ideally. Both of Julie’s cats have been messy, maybe yours has neater litter box habits though, again you’d have a better idea.

The cat travels in a carrier in the tow vehicle, I’d never leave a pet free in the trailer, you can’t control the climate in there and it’s a very bumpy ride compared to being in the tow vehicle.

3. Rick on December 17, 2014 at 3:48 am

Hi Becky,

Casita owner here – as well as cat owner. Haven’t traveled with my cat yet, but would like practical tip that you can pass along about how to manage things. Does the cat try to “get out” of the Casita when you open the door? Do you keep the litter box in the bathroom area? Do you find a dust from the box “kicked up”? How does the cat travel – in a crate in the tow vehicle or freely in the TW? I’ve been using friends or the vet to board my cat but that’s getting inconvenient and expensive as well as uncomfortable for the cat (vet’s boarding is in a small confined space). I’d like to make a cross country trip this coming summer and I’m not sure how the cat will do. Guess I better try a few short trips around the Tampa/Ocala area before journeying out further.

Rick

4. RamblinRose on December 10, 2014 at 9:31 am

Aw….i bet he just loves getting attention & being loved!

Another reason to enjoy your blog 😀 3’s company

• Becky on December 10, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Yep he loves pets. And hands, because hands give pets. In fact, any hands that are not giving pets frequently get batted at until they’re giving him pets. 😛

5. dawn from camano island on December 9, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Gonna hijack your blog for a minute. I see you use Mail Chimp. Mail Chimp is sponsoring the ‘This American Life’ podcast ‘Serial’. Have you been listening–it’s pretty incredible & very well-done.

• Becky on December 10, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Nope I haven’t, spare time is pretty scarce these days Dawn, maybe after Amazon is over I’ll have time to get up on everything, haha.

6. Russ on December 9, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Wouldn’t you know it… Just when you go to take his picture he blinks! Hahah.

• Becky on December 10, 2014 at 4:52 pm

He was deep asleep actually and I disturbed his rest to get the photo. 😛

7. Terri on December 9, 2014 at 8:24 am

I love the special needs animals, and also the older ones. They are just so adorable. He’s probably just happy to have a place to hang his head and sleep, and be cuddled, and fed, and have his every wish taken care of. 🙂
    Terri recently posted..Little Things for Which I am ThankfulMy Profile

• Becky on December 10, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Well, since he’s a cat I get the feeling he thinks all of the cuddles and food are his due diligence, but he’s cute enough where he can get away with it.

8. PamP on December 9, 2014 at 7:33 am

What a wonderful face! Made me laugh out loud.

• Becky on December 10, 2014 at 4:46 pm

He was so annoyed, but it was such a good picture of him. 😛

9. Jodee Gravel on December 9, 2014 at 4:43 am

Chance is quite handsome and quite blessed to have Julie and you as his staff. I’m sure he enjoys sharing “his” space with you two 🙂
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Family at the Table and Friends at the BeachMy Profile

• Becky on December 10, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Because as we all know, you don’t own a cat, you are owned by a cat. 😉

10. Karla Kirk on December 9, 2014 at 3:58 am

It is neat that you have added Chance to your crew. Am glad he is fitting in to your routine.My camping companion is a Schipperke who really likes camping. Her favorite activity besides eating is sitting in the bed and looking out the window for critters.It is good that you all have the training to take care of Chance’s special needs.

• Becky on December 10, 2014 at 4:44 pm

He’s so warm on the cold nights, and always happy to see us when we get home from work. Although sometimes I think he’s happy to see us only because he knows he’s going to get fed finally. 😉

Shipperkes are such cute dogs, happy travels with him!

11. dawn from camano island on December 9, 2014 at 3:03 am

What a sweet boy! I love his pointy ears.

• Becky on December 10, 2014 at 4:41 pm

He was in the process of flicking them back, was annoyed at me for flashing the camera in his face, heh. Made such a good photo though!

12. Wheelingit on December 8, 2014 at 9:34 pm

a http://www…what a cutie! For travel days have you ever tried Bachs Rescue Remedy? Works wonders to calm our stress cat Rand.
    Nina
    Wheelingit recently posted..The Inner Magic Of The DesertMy Profile

• Becky on December 10, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I’ve heard of that Nina, but Chance is allergic to so many things and has such adverse reactions to things he’s allergic to that I’m not sure it’d be worth the risk. If he was going to be a full-time traveling kitty I bet Julie would try, but it’s only for another couple months so probably not worth it since we’re only on the road a couple days out of the month on average. Thanks for mentioning it though, I bet there are other people with cats who read this and are looking for solutions. 🙂