Photo: Out Early

fish-tank-shopping-center

Last night at Amazon, we got about three hours of work in before running out of stuff to do. The managers called all us campers down to the standup area, and while they couldn’t legally tell us to “go home”, they strongly suggested it.

So after confirming that we still got our bonus if we left early and that our campsite was still paid for until Monday, Julie and I left for the last time. Instead of having to go in tonight for our last half of a day, we celebrated by going out to dinner in Legends, the fancy shopping center on the eastern side of Sparks right near the RV park (also the location of the I Max theater).

Also a part of Legends is Scheels, a two-story department store specializing in outdoors and sporting gear. I’m not a big shopper, but we’ve been told this place was worth a visit. The checkouts have these giant aquarium pillars, how fun. There was a diver in this one with a squeegee cleaning the glass. The center of the store has a Ferris wheel, which sadly cost money to ride. It was a fun to window shop, and I did buy something: they had fancy apple flavored licorice, mmm.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Photo: What’s Yours?

November 19, 2014 | 27

Mountain Moods

August 19, 2016 | 30

My current camp near Steamboat Springs CO is, in my opinion, the prettiest I’ve ever had. The sweeping views at the top of this hill are incredible and I just can’t get enough of it. It’s been a stormy few days up here at 10,000 feet and today I’d like to share some of the pictures…

Photo: Patches

December 12, 2015 | 12

At the end of my post last week, I mentioned that I’d purchased Marine-Tex from Amazon, but ran out of time to explain why. Here’s a visual explanation. These photos make me think my next project should be giving Cas a good wash, heh. * * * Thank you for doing your usual Amazon shopping…

1. Jan Hoesly on December 23, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Merry Christmas Becky!

• Becky on December 27, 2014 at 9:29 am

Thank you Jan, we did. I hope you all had a good Christmas up there too!

2. Tom Dunn on December 22, 2014 at 12:15 pm

That guy cleaning the aquarium has the coolest janitorial position of all time!

• Becky on December 27, 2014 at 9:29 am

I know, right?

3. Dwayne on December 20, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Glad you enjoyed your last minute shopping. I stuck around until 11 pm, the took my 5 hours.
    Was at 7000 feet of a 7200 summit and got some snow flurries. Just for a minute or so. Just said to myself–just 10 minutes of nice, all I wanted for Christmas.
    Am now home safely.
    You guys have a good trip. Will keep following your blog.

• Becky on December 20, 2014 at 6:43 pm

It was great working with you this season Dwayne. I’m glad you made it home safely and that the snow wasn’t a problem. 🙂 Happy holidays.

4. Pleinguy on December 20, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Nice present for the end of your tour. Hope you have an enjoyable holiday.
    Pleinguy recently posted..SunsetsMy Profile

• Becky on December 20, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I will Plein, thanks! Enjoy NM, I liked your sunset photos, I’ve always liked photographing sunsets, even if I’m not that great at it either.

5. Roger on December 20, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Hi Becky,

You lucky person, that would have been kool to see the diver in their. Went to Scheels twice and never saw that.
    As far as roads go, I know how things change, but when I looked at my options there was Donner Pass, 395, and 95 south.
    I was reluctant about 395 knowing about the passes that I believe are as high as 8,000ft., I thought worst case was there could be ice on the roads. I called 511 NV road conditions and at the time I was leaving chains were required. So I opted to head east on 50 to Fallon then head south on Hwy 95 to hwy 6 which took me into Bishop CA, most of the drive was desert on 6 I reached Montgomery peak at 7,000ft., the road was totally clear. I am now in L.A., and am staying in my rig till I decide when after the 1st I head out to Quartzite. I hope to see Kenney there and other Amazonians.

Stay safe out there, and it was nice to meet you even though you and Julie ended up in stowing, so I did not get to talk to you guys much.

• Becky on December 20, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Heya Roger!

Glad you made it south alright, the weather in the mountains on Friday was pretty bad but it sounds like it’s getting better now. When we leave on Monday it’s suppose to be sunny and clear.

Enjoy L.A. and Quartzsite when you get out there! If I pass through the Q maybe we’ll get a chance to meet up again. Either way, it was nice working with you this season.

6. Jodee Gravel on December 20, 2014 at 9:21 am

Regardless of the reason “go home early, you still get the bonus” would work for me! Love that tank, but not sure I could make it work in the rig – I’ll have to see if Rene can do a smaller one 🙂 Enjoy your weekend to relax and make ready for the adventure south!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..The Power of PhotosMy Profile

• Becky on December 20, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Yep it worked for us too!

Not only would that tank present a size issue, it’s gotta weigh an awful lot, would go over a RV’s GVWR in a hurry. 😉

7. Jim@HiTek on December 20, 2014 at 5:01 am

Wow. That is odd they didn’t at least keep you on call for the weekend. Lots of last minute shoppers on the weekend I’d wager. I’m surprise at your saying that you only had half a day left to work too…when I was there last year, we were scheduled to work up until Xmas eve. I left early because of my bad feet but I didn’t hear that they decided to close early or anything.

Oh, well, their business. I guess they can tell almost a week in advance whether they’ll need you or not…
    Jim@HiTek recently posted..On to Naples…My Profile

• Becky on December 20, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I responded to Susan above about why I think they let us go early this year Jim.

8. Susan on December 20, 2014 at 4:31 am

Wow, lucky you. At BNA3 Nashville most are mandatory till 23rd and working hard. We are looking forward to being done too. Enjoy your next adventure!

• Becky on December 20, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Last year I worked until the bitter end, the first year I got out one day early (the 22nd). I think the reason why RNO1 let out so early this year (normally it doesn’t) is because the warehouse is closing in February. The majority of us work campers were in Inbound, and why would Amazon want to keep stowing stuff in a warehouse that needs to be completely emptied in two months?

9. Rene Kipp on December 20, 2014 at 1:00 am

Wow-I’ve got to go see that! Our business is custom fabricated plastics and I would love to see how it’s built. We’re the silly ones who go to a museum and notice the case, rather than the content… LOL
    Rene Kipp recently posted..Sad, Sad DayMy Profile

• Becky on December 20, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Haha! It was very well built Rene, there’s a third pillar with a connecting arch off to the right of the picture. I didn’t see visible seams, but then again I wasn’t scrutinizing it as closely as you would. 😉