Skip to content

A Crazy First Day

The calm before the storm

The calm before the storm

Here it is, the moment you’ve all been waiting for. The big reveal of where Julie and I are volunteering as Park Hosts for the next two and a half months. Can’t you feel the anticipation?

Okay, okay, I’ll knock it off. It’s Enchanted Rock State Natural Area in Texas hill country, a little over an hour west of Austin. We arrived on Friday, did the paperwork and got a tour from the volunteer coordinator that day before he left for a week-long vacation, and were basically told “do what you can” for our first day on Saturday without him.

I’m going to do a proper post about Enchanted Rock in a week or two when I’ve got a better feel of the place, but I just had to share our first day of work. It was nuts.

A bit of background. E-Rock covers 1,600 acres or so, but most of it is undeveloped. It’s a small operation. There is only one entrance and the pay kiosk, ranger headquarters, gift shop, and interpretive center are all rolled into one building near the entrance, and there are only 15-20 paid employees. There are 40-some developed camping spaces, tent only – no RVs are even allowed across the bridge into the park proper because it can’t take the weight, but there are ten bus/RV parking spots up near the headquarters where people can park and walk across the bridge. There are two rest rooms aside from the headquarters, one that has showers and one that does not. Three-ish serpentine parking lots total about 450 parking spaces, and there are 9.5 miles of hiking trails.

There are three full-hookup sites near the maintenance building before the bridge, and we’re the last pair of volunteers to arrive. The side road leading to the maintenance building is not accessible to the public, so while we’re park hosts, we’re not acting like traditional camp hosts. There is no being on call for questions or check-ins after hours. On Friday I couldn’t help but think, what the heck are the rangers going to find for six volunteers to do in a park this small?

And then Saturday came.

Officially, the park opens at 8 am for day visitors, which is also our start time this morning. The headquarters stays open until 4:30 pm, and day visitors must be out by 10 pm. As the first task of the day, all non-office employees (of which there are only two this morning) and all volunteers (all six of us work-campers are on today) start by cleaning the bathrooms, it’s pretty standard stuff. As we clean, the number of people coming in rises steadily.

It’s partly cloudy, calm winds, and the high is suppose to be 70. It’s shaping up to be a beautiful day. Unbeknownst to me, today is the first non-crappy weekend this part of Texas has seen in three weeks.

On the weekly schedule for volunteers, under Saturday, one of the tasks that’s listed from 10 am onward is “survival”. I ask the fellow in charge of us work campers what that means about the time we’re done with the bathrooms and heading back up front to the entrance, and that’s when I see the line of cars waiting to get in the park, winding back from the headquarters down the driveway.

“Mostly, it means traffic direction.” He says.

There is only one pay window, so only one car can get into the park at a time, unless the staff gets creative. There’s a lot of talk over the radio to get things set up, most of which I don’t understand, and before I can fully grasp the situation, ‘The Push’ is underway.

My first view of Enchanted Rock, taken on Friday evening

My first view of Enchanted Rock, taken on Friday evening

Cars flood in. We get the ones that haven’t paid to pull over behind headquarters as “temporary parking” and then they walk in the back door and pay. There are two people at the counter inside that issue day passes along with the one person at the window. Then we get them out as soon as possible to make room for the next wave that get sent through.

Someone stands before the pay window and keeps people from abandoning their cars outside and walking into the park (yes, it happens. Frequently.) Someone stands in the upper parking lot and lets X number of people (and no more) through to drive around back to park and pay. Two people shepherd the cars into the impromptu parking lot as close together as they can get them without blocking traffic and then direct them where to go once they’ve paid inside.

This works fine, until we start running out of parking spots. Then we need a person to count spaces in each lot, and a couple more to direct traffic to which lot they are to go to. When it becomes 11 am, all 450 parking spots are nearly full, and the line of people waiting to get inside is now running down the highway more than a mile in each direction. Now things really get interesting.

Luckily, the man in chargeΒ today has been doing this for several years, and has practice.

We have people drive up over the curbs and park in the circles of the cull-de-sacs. We cram them in next to the dumpsters. We line them up going down the No Public Access road to the maintenance building, and then as a last resort, pile them into the Boneyard, the clearing next to the maintenance building where old equipment goes to die. Some people get upset at how far they are from the trails, “Ma’am, at least you made it inside.”

It’s a kind of race that requires good timing, good communication, and good people skills. Once the Boneyard is full, enough people have left that we can re-count the lots and send some new arrivals back to the regular parking spots. But we’re running out of room, what happens when we simply cannot find one more flat space for a car to park? Enchanted Rock itself now resembles a large granite ant hill in the distance, swarming with people as small as specks as they climb up and down.

Chatter comes over my hand-held radio.

“Gary, are you going to call it?”

“…the lights are on…”

“Okay folks, this is it…”

The Man With The PlanΒ drives by in a state park pickup to get me with a grin on his face. “Hop in, now you’ll get to see them really mad.”

We drive up to the entrance to the park, and close the gate. There’s not quite an angry mob, but tensions are high. Some of these people have been waiting in line for quite a while to get in, and they don’t want to give up. It’s takes three of us to get the highway cleared. I walk down the line of cars pulled up on the shoulder and give the same line over and over: “The park is at full capacity and will be closed for two hours. You cannot sit here and wait for it to re-open, please keep driving and come back later…”

Some people are incredulous. “Full capacity? What do you mean full-capacity?”

“There’s no more room sir, parking is completely full.”

“But I see a few empty spaces in there, and we drove a long ways to be here. Why can’t you let me in?”

“We have some campers with reservations for tonight that haven’t showed up yet, and we need to keep room open for them.”

One man’s daughter walked in because she really needed to go to the bathroom, the only reason the person watching the gate will let walkers in. We tell him he can stay parked by the curb until she comes out, but they still can’t get into the park. He’s upset, but he holds his peace.

Most people though are understanding and pleasant to deal with, it’s estimated that we turn away over 100 vehicles. At 1 pm, the law enforcement ranger starts his shift, and then the cars loitering around clear out quickly, a squad car with flashing lights will do that.

We all get to take our lunch finally, and after no time at all, the park re-opens and the whole process starts again. The staff have the timing down pretty well and know that 100 is the magic number. In the afternoon, once 100 parking spots have opened up, by the time we get 100 people in, the turnover for people leaving will be high enough that the park shouldn’t have to close again. As the afternoon wears on we fill up the regular lots, move into the cull-de-sacs and roadside parking, and just as the Boneyard is getting full once again, the line vanishes.

Phew. Various volunteers and regular staff come up to Julie and I at the end and ask how our first day went. My general response is, “What just happened?”

First sunset at our new digs.  Nice!

First sunset at our new digs. Nice!

Now, I get just under 10 weeks to figure out what makes Enchanted Rock so special that this little park gets over a quarter million visitors in a year. Would any of you like to share your most memorable first day at a new job or gig?

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon.com shopping using my affiliate link.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Working at National Parks for RVers

April 5, 2013 |

Thinking about working at a National Park this summer season? You’ve come to the right place. During the past month I’ve applied to several and been interviewed for three different locations, all of which decided to hire me. I’m no expert, but I’m going to share what I learned from the experience here for all…

Haslet CamperForce Mid-season Update

November 13, 2016 |

Five and a half weeks gone at Amazon, five and a half more to go – time for a mid-season status report. Wondering what this CamperForce thing is all about? You can find the comprehensive About Amazon’s CamperForce post here. Overtime has been scarce at the Haslet site so far, a stark contrast to last…

Comparing Work Options for RVers

June 7, 2016 |

Having now acquired a good amount of experience while RVing with both working in a fixed location, and working remotely, it feels like a good time to give a rundown on both types and the positives and negatives of each. First an explanation of terms, as not everyone may know what work-camping is, and definitions…

1. Marcia GB in MA on January 21, 2015 at 6:41 pm

All I can say is “yikes”, what an intro to a new park! Hopefully by the time the next weekend rolls around you will have a better feel for what it’s all about. Can’t wait to hear more!

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I hope I have a better idea of what’s going on too Marcia! At least it won’t be a surprise this time.

More on E-Rock is coming soon!

2. SylviaW on January 21, 2015 at 4:11 pm

I’ve been enjoying your posts/e-mails since November. You are a gifted story-teller with words and pictures. And I imagine it can’t be easy to post after working so hard all day. Please imagine us out here waiting for our infusion of Becky humor and escapism, if you need motivation…..

I’m a 57-year-old recent retiree and would like to try out volunteer workamping (sp?) for a month or so, before signing up for a longer time. Can you and your readers suggest how I could find *short-term* opportunities?

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Heya Sylvia, glad you decided to come out of the wood work and comment, it’s great to have you here. πŸ™‚

This is my first volunteer gig at a park, so I’m not really an expert but I know that here with Texas State Parks, for first time volunteers they only want a 1-3 month commitment, so you can apply for just one month easily enough. To get started, the website is http://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/park_host/ and hopefully others will chime in with advice. πŸ™‚

As for the spelling, Workamper is a trademark of Workamper News, a subscription site that RVers can pay to find paying jobs and volunteer opportunities. Work camping is the generic term, so that’s the one I typically use here on IO since that refers to all work camping, and not just jobs found on Workamper News.

Best of luck to you, I don’t think it should be hard to find volunteer opportunities for just a month. πŸ™‚

• SylviaW on January 22, 2015 at 10:26 am

Thanks Becky! I’ll start perusing those Texas work-camping opportunities now. I’ll also look into subscribing to Workamper News.

As my husband and I say on the on-ramp at the start of a long trip: Aaaaaaaaannnndd we’re off!

• Becky on January 22, 2015 at 4:07 pm

You’re welcome! I was skeptical about Workamper News at first, but it really is the best option out there right now for finding RVer-friendly jobs. I believe it costs $20-something for a year, not too pricey.

Have fun out there!

• SylviaW on January 22, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I also found this, which seems friendly. And free. workampingjobs.com

They say: “It seems the folks at Workamper News (and their lawyer) think this site is confusingly similar to theirs. We’d like to make sure that no one is confused, so here’s a little tip. If you have to sign up and pay to see the job listings, then you are at their site. If you can just use the site and it is 100% free, then you are here with Jerry and Cynthia.”

Any experience with whether Workamper News offers more/different?

Thanks!

• Becky on January 23, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Haven’t had time to go through it in depth, it looks like a pretty good resource but harder to navigate with all of those ads. I guess if they’re not charging users directly they need to bring in their income another way. πŸ˜‰

The way I look at it is: if you can find a way to meet your needs (find the jobs you’re looking for) without paying, then stick to free. If you’re not, then pay. http://www.cooworks.com is another free one that I use to find my summer jobs at national parks, I didn’t sign up for Workamper News until I needed to find winter jobs which are more rare.

3. paul on January 21, 2015 at 3:40 pm

While in this area you should check out lost maples st park. Welcome to tx. The wife and I work at lake georgetown it’s a army Corp park I really enjoy your blog

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Thanks Paul, I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying the posts. πŸ™‚

We’ll look into Lost Maples and the rest of the state parks in the area, a lot of people have said that they’re worth a visit.

4. Debbie Tate on January 21, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Oh MY! I have only visited the park a few times since it was commercialized. The ‘rock’ has a fascinating history and wonderful views from the top. Hope you can enjoy the park without the crowds during the week.

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 7:05 pm

I haven’t gotten to see the fairy shrimp yet Debbie, I can’t wait! I’ve gotten to peek around a little, but it’s going to take quite some time to see it all. The weekdays are much better for exploring.

5. Regina on January 21, 2015 at 11:59 am

Your first day sounds crazy. We were camp hosts in a Utah national forest campground. We started 3 days before Memorial Day weekend and, with 4 other camp hosts, had to get everything cleaned up and ready for the onslaught (bathrooms, camp sites, day use areas, group sites). It was just insane to do so much in such a short amount of time. This campground was full every weekend. When full, we would put the “Campground” Full sign up and people would come to our trailer and ask if the cg was full. It took a lot of patience to work here. It seemed that people took all of their camping toys with them but left their brain and common sense home.
    Advice – find the humor in a situation and have a huge amount of patience. Also if the frustration level is high, take time to “vent” to Julie or another host. It will relieve the frustration and perhaps find humor in the situation. Hope this helps.

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Yikes Regina, that does sound like a chore! I’m glad you were able to minimize the stress from the job and still enjoy the location. I’m also glad that our trailer is not in the campground so people can’t knock on our door at all hours to ask questions. πŸ˜‰

Fortunately, weekdays are a breeze here and yes, our other four park hosts are amazing people and we enjoy fires together every evening that the weather allows. Weekends may be rough, but we’re going to have a lot of fun here too.

6. Brian and Carolyn on January 21, 2015 at 11:24 am

Welcome to Texas! As you have now discovered there are parts of the Hill Country here that are loved to death. Enchanted Rock is way cool.

Hope you guys have a wonderful time!

Brian and Carolyn

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Thanks Brian and Carolyn! You’re the third people I’ve heard use that term to describe E-Rock, it’s very applicable. I believe that’s why the park service don’t expand the parking lots, even though they could get more money that way. They want to protect the ecosystem too, and it’s hard enough as it is.

7. Fireman Steve on January 21, 2015 at 11:03 am

It sounds like you guys have a full plate…lol
    I look forward to reading more, as I’ve never been there. I’m curious what the big draw is…
    Good luck
    Steve

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Rock climbing, rock climbing, rock climbing Steve! I’ll be writing a post about it soon enough, luckily the weekdays are less hectic.

8. Gary on January 21, 2015 at 10:13 am

I probably wouldn’t stop here, I hate traffic and especially long lines. I can’t imagine working them everyday Becky, your brave and deserve a halo for it. Good luck on your New job and keep us updated how it goes.
    Gary recently posted..Packing Up For A Maintenance TripMy Profile

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:50 pm

The secret is to come during a weekday Gary. No wait to get in and no crowds, it’s a lot more enjoyable then. πŸ™‚

9. Michael Edwards on January 21, 2015 at 9:32 am

First and foremost welcome to Texas. Enchanted Rock is one of my favorite parks, but it does fill up quickly during the Spring months. The week of March 8th will be crazy as that is the week most Texas schools have Spring Break, Hopefully all will go well while you are camped out there.

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Yeah Michael, the hiring manager wanted to make sure we stayed through spring break, originally I was looking to leave the middle of March but we’re staying until the end of it now.

And thanks! All is going quite well so far, busyness aside. At least the busy days will go quickly. πŸ™‚

10. Jodee Gravel on January 21, 2015 at 8:46 am

Whew! You will certainly have the chance to see people at their best and their worst on the good-weather weekends. Glad folks are getting out in nature but it can’t feel very natural with such a crowd……

First day at work I show up at 8 AM to find only the receptionist. I actually read all the “new employee” stuff because no one else shows until around 10. I thought this was so weird until we were all still there at 7 PM. I quickly adjusted my start time πŸ™‚
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Not the Arizona Desert or the Florida KeysMy Profile

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Haha, good story Jodee. I bet I would have liked working at that place, I prefer to sleep in. πŸ˜‰

And fortunately there aren’t crowds here on the weekdays, so at least on my days off I get to explore in peace.

11. Evelyn B on January 21, 2015 at 8:17 am

We were in Texas Hill Country a few years ago and decided to visit E-Rock during Easter break. We had no idea how crazy busy it got. We stood in line and finally ended up turning around and doing something else that day. We came back early the next week and got in without a problem. It’s a great hike, but I don’t understand why it draws the amount of people it does. I didn’t realize they had workampers. Enjoy your stay. I have a feeling your weekends are all going to be crazy busy!

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:44 pm

It’s all the rock climbing Evelyn, it’s a great area for it or so I’m told. Week days are much less busy, that’s when I’ll get to enjoy the park.

I don’t know what this place would do without work campers on the weekends, I think there are actually plans to put in more RV pads so they can bring in more help.

12. Sarah on January 21, 2015 at 6:35 am

that was hilarious read. I hope you find some time for play and relaxation during your volunteer stint.

My most memorable first day at the job was one that I took after working in an office for a long time. The new job was in a fast-paced environment and it required me to stand on and rush around on a solid concrete floor for eight hours. By the end of the day, it was all I could do to waddle to my car. I could hardly walk. It was painful.

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Eep, yeah that wouldn’t have been comfortable Sarah. But I bet the exercise was nice once you got use to it!

Glad you enjoyed this post, I’m only working three days a week here, so there will be plenty of time for play and relaxation, just not on weekends likely. πŸ˜‰

13. diane on January 21, 2015 at 6:30 am

How exciting, I love the Enchanted Rock and surrounding area. We were there last April and expected a crowd but it wasn’t that bad. But there was a back country rescue going on. Be careful and enjoy!

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Around here Diane no one says the “R” word because as soon as you do, there’s a call for one. With all of the rock climbing it seems to happen, well, not exactly frequently, but a lot more often than anyone would like.

The regulars say March is the busiest with spring break and temperatures that aren’t too hot or too cold, and then it starts tapering off after that for the summer. You picked a good time to come. πŸ™‚

14. Jeff on January 21, 2015 at 5:31 am

I have been visiting Enchanted Rock for 20+ years. Wonderful park and my young children love going there. Monday through Friday will be much calmer.
    When you get the chance to hike to the summit make sure you bring a headlamp (recommended) or a flashlight and go through the talus cave on the back of the summit.
    The main draw to this park is all the rock climbing or as my kids call it ” rock scramble”.
    I will second the other parka nearby, Pedernales Falls SP, LBJ Ranch SP near Stonewall and LBJ Home in Johnson City.
    There are many other Texas State Parks within a two to three hour drive of your location.
    Enjoy your time there and have fun.

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Yep Jeff, well Monday was still pretty busy because of MLK day, but at least they didn’t have to close the park (Sunday they did again). But yesterday and today, hardly anyone around and a much better vibe imo, I like my outdoors to be less crowded. πŸ™‚ And yeah, 200 registered climbs, yikes!

Thanks for the recommendations and I’ll have fun alright!

15. Cary on January 21, 2015 at 1:29 am

Hi.. Nice area, near several nice small towns, but Fredericksburg is the best town. Good live music can usually be found in Fredericksburg, Lukenbach, and Kerrville on the weekends. Lots of good food and wine in the area.. Enjoy your stay.. and Enjoy the view from the top of E-Rock.

I was just up there last week.

Cary
    Houston, Tx.

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:32 pm

I’ve been told I need to visit Fredericksburg for the atmosphere, Lukenbach for the music, and Llano for the BBQ. πŸ™‚

And yeah Cary, that view when I finally made it up Sunday was pretty amazing. A report on that is coming up. πŸ™‚

16. Ron on January 20, 2015 at 11:08 pm

I too wonder what draws so many visitors, from the photos it just doesn’t look that kool. Maybe the crowd was due to the 3 day MLK holiday weekend. I was hoping you would be farther south near Mission and McAllen so you could experience warmer weather and Mexico.
    We have several state parks and national wildlife refuges that use volunteers and have RV hookups. Bentsen Rio Grande State Park and World Birding Center is nice. Also something near South Padre Island would be nice. Ron

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:30 pm

I sent inquires to just about every Texas SP Ron, but not surprisingly the ones farther south fill up quickly for the winter season. Someday, someday.

And as I told Maura above, I think the big draw is the rock climbing, although I suspect the three-day weekend also played a big part. There are five peaks in the park and something like 200 registered climbs people can do. It’s a lot neater in person when you’re actually out hiking in the back country than it looks from the headquarters and parking lots.

17. Mike B on January 20, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Hi Becky! I’m excited to see you are in Texas, my home state. I live just outside of Austin. I hope you get a chance to explore the area while you are here. Fredericksburg is a great little town. There is a lot to see and do. The Pacific War museum is great too.

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I saw the Pacific Warm Museum as a point of interest on my GPS when we came through there and was thinking we’d need to go back and take a peek. And the restaurants! Yes, we’ll definitely be spending more time in Fredericksburg. Of course we’ll need to get to Austin too on a day off, it’s really not that far.

And if you’re that close and would like to meet up sometime Mike I’m sure we could arrange something, we’ll be here until the end of March.

18. Brian on January 20, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Congratulations on the new job. I visited E-rock 4 weeks ago (on Christmas day). There were lots of visitors but nothing like the crowds you experienced. There’s a message board just outside of Fredericksburg to warn visitors that the park is closed. Be sure to do a night hike to the top during the full moon. If you get a chance visit the LBJ ranch at Stoner TX. Perdanales Falls state park is about an hour away and has excellent hiking trails. If you find a water bottle on the north side of the dome it’s mine (it rolled a long way and went into a crevice). Have a great time.

• Old Fat Man on January 20, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Maybe you meant Stonewall, Texas.

• Brian on January 21, 2015 at 6:19 am

Yes. Thank you.

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Brian, the chatter over the com about the lights being on was about that very sign you mention. It lights up when the park is closed so people know not to come out, but a lot of people must either miss it or outright ignore it.

And yes, the volunteer coordinator is going to take Julie and I out on a night hike when he gets back from vacation, he hosts them quite often and it sounds like a lot of fun!

One of the couples hosting with us volunteered at Perdanales before they came out here and were saying it was worth a visit. Bad weather is in the forecast the next few days, but I’m looking forward to getting out and seeing the rest of the parks around here for sure.

19. Maura on January 20, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Well, when you find out what all the fuss is about do let us know! My Oh My, that is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Jeez, I though Yosemite could be bad during prime summer months. Now I am curious what this park has, to bring so many people willing to wait in line. Makes our camp hosting experience look like lazy days of summer!

Good Luck!
    Maura recently posted..Savannah GAMy Profile

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:19 pm

I figured out what it is Maura, I think. The park has about 200 registered rock climbs. A lot of people come out for the day with their gear to go rock climbing. πŸ™‚ When I went on a hike on Sunday and got closer I could see all the different access points and peaks, E-Rock isn’t the only draw.

20. Old Fat Man on January 20, 2015 at 8:25 pm

I started going there when it was still a private ranch. It is a pretty interesting place to wander around in. But the public is “loving it to death”. I quit going there about six years ago.

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Some of my coworkers here say the same thing, that the park is being loved to death. They could expand the parking lots… but having more people wouldn’t be a good thing for the ecosystem.

Faltin you mean? I heard a guy by that name owned quite a bit of the land and the park service named the bridge after him when he gave the land up to make the park. Apparently he still owns a little bit of property that’s only accessible from the park so during slow days you can sometimes catch him herding cattle through.

21. Tina on January 20, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I don’t think any of my first days have been that crazy. Did you have any idea what you were getting in to? LOL I’ve never heard of that place so will have to check it out sometime, but don’t think I’d be waiting that long to get inside.

Take care,

Tina

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Well, the fellow who hired us said it can get busy on weekends, but then you don’t really know what a person means when they say “busy” if you haven’t met them before. I thought he was playing it up…. he wasn’t. πŸ˜‰

If you can come on a weekday, that would be best Tina, otherwise there are less crowds in the summer, but it gets awfully hot then.

22. Barbara on January 20, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Wow! That sounds like Quartzsite on it’s worst day – but with no shopping. πŸ™‚
    Barbara recently posted..Leaving tomorrow – maybe…My Profile

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Well, there’s a little bit of shopping Barbara, if you count the tiny gift shop, haha. There are some shirts, mugs, patches and pins in there.

On weekdays it’s totally different, much quieter and more chill which is great.

23. Robert Lee on January 20, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Wow, what an experience that must have been.

I look forward to hearing about the park itself as you have time to figure it out.

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:08 pm

On Sunday I took my first hike out, it is a really neat place and I’m looking forward to sharing more here. πŸ™‚

24. Renea on January 20, 2015 at 6:11 pm

I bought a 2006 casita a year ago. Can hardly wait to start my cross country journey. Love reading about your adventures!

• Becky on January 21, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Glad you’re finding IO helpful and entertaining Renea, welcome!

Casitas are great little trailers, even for longer trips like yours or for full-timing, they hold up well. I hope you have a lot of fun out there on the road, safe travels and happy trails!

25. Renea on January 20, 2015 at 6:10 pm