Cozy

Monday, February 16

Somewhere in AZ

Fun lighting on bluffs, somewhere in AZ

Winter has made a comeback in central Texas today, like in much of the rest of the country. Our grand ambition of going jogging despite the cold was tempered by 20 mph winds and intermittent drizzle… and now sleet. Eh, some other day.

A very long train crossing through Petrified Forest National park

A very long train crossing through Petrified Forest National park

Instead, we’ve been doing laundry and relaxing inside the Casita.

A trash can with a view - Blue Mesa

A trash can with a view – Blue Mesa

It’s not as bad as you might think, being cooped up in a little RV on a bad weather day. My bed is comfortable. Both space heaters are running to keep the trailer nice and toasty. Chance is happy to have us inside all day to provide him with a warm lap and scritches. A new book on Kindle keeps me occupied. And Little Rock outside my window is showing it’s moody side, the towers of thick clouds and changing lighting providing a dramatic backdrop.

Ocotillo just outside Joshua Tree National Park under an endless sky

Ocotillo just outside Joshua Tree National Park under an endless sky

It’s, in a word, cozy. I have everything I need in this small space, and do not feel trapped.

Sunrise starting over Indian Cove campground in Joshua Tree

Sunrise starting over Indian Cove campground in Joshua Tree

Maybe in a little while, Julie and I will watch an episode of something on the computer and partake of a cup of hot cocoa with a dash of Bailey’s. Happy Hour will be enjoyed indoors this evening, no need to cancel on account of winter.

Sunset starting over Enchanted Rock (on the left)

Sunset starting over Enchanted Rock (on the left)

In fact, I’m reminded of snow days as a kid growing up in Wisconsin. Days like this are made for quiet enjoyment. For lounging around in pajamas and thinking no further ahead than what to have for dinner. For shrugging off the To-Do list, just for one day.

Looking down on E-Rock's campground from Little Rock

Looking down on E-Rock’s campground from Little Rock

So now I’m going to go enjoy the rest of my vacation day. I hope you enjoy today’s pictures, they’re photos that didn’t quite make the cut in earlier posts that I’ve been waiting to find a use for, and today was that day.

Working on the blog by firelight last week

Working on the blog by firelight last week

I hope you all had a good holiday weekend, take care!

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

RVing Emergency Fund

June 11, 2012 | 12

Last updated 3/17. RVs are very complex systems with a lot of working parts that could potentially fail, even small ones without engines like my Casita. Ask any owner, even of a brand new RV, and you’ll quickly learn that they not only require regular maintenance, but that if you own one sooner or later…

Discovering the Magic

January 23, 2015 | 22

I’ve now had five days to recover after the shock of my first day volunteering at Enchanted Rock SNA, this rather perplexing little park out in the hill country of Texas that receives an incredible number of visitors in a year. And during that time, I’ve gone out to explore a little and see what…

Indian Springs State Park, GA

September 19, 2012 | 22

What a week! The big adventure has kicked off in earnest, this is actually two posts in one since I didn’t have internet access until now. ย This part covers the weekend at Indian Springs, and I’ll post up Monday through today tomorrow probably since I think the good people at the Starbucks I’m at may…

1. Aaron on March 15, 2016 at 2:17 pm

For photos that didn’t make the cut they certainly look amazing.

You did very well. We have a trailer and on days like you are describing we find the kids just go stir crazy.

• Becky on March 15, 2016 at 8:30 pm

If it were more than one day in a row, it would be a different story. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Terri on March 7, 2015 at 7:55 am

I love snow days like the one you had!! And I also like the rainy days sometimes for the same reasons. It’s cozy, you have everything you need and love around you, who needs anything else? That’s how I felt on some of our snow days this year – I would look around at all my furballs and be like “this is it. This is all I need. Everything I love is here.” Days like that, you want to hug yourself.

• Becky on March 7, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Exactly Terri! And bonus: pets give you extra warmth on those snow days. ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. dawn from camano island on February 19, 2015 at 5:03 am

Nothing like a cozy day at home. Loved your photos, especially the campfire. You are a very devoted blogger, Becky! Stay warm!

• Becky on February 20, 2015 at 9:40 pm

It was such a nice break Dawn. I look forward to rainy days sometimes. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Sheila on February 18, 2015 at 11:24 am

Thanks for sharing the pics! I really enjoyed them.

• Becky on February 20, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Thanks Sheila, glad you liked them!

5. marty chambers on February 18, 2015 at 9:52 am

My son Charles wants to have a simular set up as you have. He loves the Casita and has pretty much made his mind up that it is the best RV for his plans. I also am working up to getting a Class A and going primarily fulltime.

I have a request to ask from you. I think you assistance may help my son and many others who are probably reading your blog.

How do you handle two things: The ACA and Federal/State income taxes? These two things are really frazzling my son’s brain and I personally don’t have the answers. And after all, I am his father, what do I know about anything, right?

If you can shed some light and direction I can pass on I would really appreciate it.

By the way, I enjoy you entries, you two ladies are living life and are packing in more living ever year that most people do in a lifetime. And doing it now while you are young is smart. I am 62 and I intended to pack in as much living as I can for my remaining years. Oy vey iz mir, living our dreams can be hard work, but the benefits are endless!

All my best.

• Becky on February 20, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Hello Marty,

As a matter of fact I have written about these topics! Have your son peek here for starters:
      There are other helpful links under the “Useful Stuff” tab too.

In short: I’ve used TurboTax and done my taxes myself. It got more complicated last year when I started earning money from my blog and effectively had my own business in addition to the W-2’s from various seasonal jobs, but I still felt comfortable doing them myself. There are links to accountant information in the comments though if he’d rather do it that way.

The ACA is a toughie. I’m going to be “moving” from South Dakota to Texas this year because of health insurance issues, all explained in the above post. There’s a website out there (http://rverhealthinsurance.com/) that exists to help younger full-timers figure out their health insurance options, Kyle really knows his stuff and I can’t recommend him enough.

If your son has any more questions Marty, he’s more than welcome to drop me an e-mail.

Thanks for reading, and take care!

6. Jerry Minchey on February 18, 2015 at 9:40 am

Awhile back you mentioned that you were interviewed by Yahoo Travel. Can you let us know when that article goes live and provide a link to it? I’m looking forward to reading it.

• Becky on February 18, 2015 at 5:00 pm

It should have gone live over a week ago Jerry, I’m not sure what happened with it. I’ll have to e-mail the lady who interviewed me back.

7. Fireman Steve on February 18, 2015 at 9:04 am

Bailey’s in cocoa is also awesome…thanks for posting your adventures. I always look forward to the next… ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Becky on February 18, 2015 at 4:59 pm

I should not drink coffee Steve, bad things happen. Very bad. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Glad you enjoyed this!

8. Fireman Steve on February 18, 2015 at 9:00 am

A well deserved break…and Bailey’s in coffee is the best. A good comfort drink, and it keeps your hands warm while you hold the cup…

9. Jodee Gravel on February 18, 2015 at 6:35 am

Isn’t it wonderful to be cozy in small space and not feel restricted? There are so many people living in thousands of square feet feeling trapped even when the sun is shining. And really any day with hot cocoa, Baileys and a nice fire at the end is a fine day indeed ๐Ÿ™‚
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..RV Dealerships – Do You Think It’s a Test?My Profile

• Becky on February 18, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Very fine Jodee! I love living simply. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Ron on February 17, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Enjoy every day no mater the weather or other.

• Becky on February 17, 2015 at 7:00 pm

You got it Ron!

11. Ed @ Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets on February 17, 2015 at 5:11 pm

First!
    Ed @ Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets recently posted..โ€œVacationโ€ โ€“ Part 2My Profile

• Ed @ Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets on February 17, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Thanks for the photos explaination. I was thinking, “I don’t remeber the terrain where she’s at being mesas and bluffs like Utah. And she’s working. Can’t travel too far.”

But I have to say I love the “trash can with a view”. Oh ya!

• Becky on February 17, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Glad you enjoyed the photos Ed, if only I always had a great view like that trash can. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Well, I do more often than a lot of people at least!