A Wish For Something More

The campground beach at Hunting Island

The campground beach at Hunting Island

September 5, 2009

My roommate and I stand in the campground at Hunting Island State Park, only a half-hour drive from our new apartment. We’ve just moved down to South Carolina from Wisconsin this summer, and are enjoying the change of scenery. My parents didn’t think I’d actually do it. I don’t think they get it – the strong drive to see new sights.

Our eyes drink in the teardrop trailer before us eagerly, like a cool glass of water in the desert. It’s called a T@B, and stands out among the other larger RVs with it’s unusual shape and bright orange trim. It’s sleek, fun, full of personality, and best of all: small. The gears in our heads turn furiously as we imagine the possibilities. Weekend camping trips beside the ocean with our own kitchen, vacation weeks spent up in the Smoky Mountains with no fear of bears or cold weather. And maybe someday, something more…

Doesn't this scenery make you wish for something more?

Doesn’t this scenery make you wish for something more?

“Look at that car parked with it, I bet if they can tow it your car could do it too.” I say to her. She has a Pontiac Vibe, not really a vehicle meant for towing, but much better than my Honda Civic coupe. We’d been toying with the idea of looking into small travel trailers before this, but had never seen anything that looked small enough to tow with either of our vehicles.

When we get back home after the day trip, Julie and I Google T@B and find the website, and my half-formed dreams wither. It weighs too much and is too much money. The reason why that car had been parked with it at the campground was because the campground rented them out.

RVing is the providence of families with high income, or the retired.

To be continued…

A lot of people at one time or another have expressed interest in my personal journey of how I learned about full-time RVing and the events leading up to the launch of Interstellar Orchard. I figured now would be a perfect time to tell that story. It has a lot of relevance to a project I’ve been working on for quite some time.

Introducing Solo Full-time RVing On A Budget.

There are a lot of folks that dream of perpetual travel and a life full of adventure, but few pursue it because it seems like such a fairy tale.

It becomes a particularly challenging goal when you’re still working, on a budget, and single. How do you decide what RV is best without breaking the bank? How do you stay safe traveling alone? And how much money does it cost to get on the road, anyway?

TitlePage300To answer these questions:

• Besides the advice in the guide, there is a four-page worksheet included to hone in on your perfect RV (and a two page worksheet that will help you pick your perfect tow vehicle, if you decide on a towable RV).

• There are fifteen tips and tricks listed to keep you safe, nine of them won’t cost you a penny. And no, you won’t have to live in a bubble.

• I kept careful track of my expenses when I was preparing to get on the road, and after I was successful I looked back at my finances and created a formula anyone can use to figure out how much money they’ll need to go full-time RVing. Yes, it’ll involve some math, but that’s okay because not only is there a PDF worksheet, but there’s also an Excel version too with the math-y bits already in place – just enter your numbers and it’ll do the work for you.

This ebook is not a novel with fluff and filler text, but a condensed and practical 54 page guide of no-nonsense advice and knowledge designed to get you on the road now, instead of in some ill-defined future after retirement. With it comes 10 pages of extras to put what you learn in the guide to use immediately.

It is the resource I wish I would have had when my story began, and it’ll be available one week from now on Tuesday, March 24th.

This Friday I’ll give more specifics on the topics covered in the guide, the special launch price, and who it is (and isn’t) for.

I know not everyone will be interested in a guide like this (many of you are already on the road for instance!) and that’s perfectly fine. I hope you’ll at least enjoy the story of how I decided to go full-time RVing.

Have a good week all!

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Protecting RV Plumbing in Winter

November 26, 2012 | 28

Or perhaps more accurately: Protecting RV Plumbing in Winter, when you’re living in it. As those of you who follow me on Facebook and Twitter already know, the temperature on Friday night got down to 25 degrees. I knew that was going to be cold enough to potentially do damage to Cas’s plumbing so I…

Patreon Launch and What an Average Travel Day Looks Like

November 21, 2017 | 14

As you read this on Tuesday, I’ll be preparing to get back on the road. Since the start of the month I’ve been moochdocking in my friend Misty’s driveway in Texas (a regular occurrence when I come through this part of the country) and it’s been great to sit still while working on a solution…

Escaping Winter

October 15, 2013 | 19

My last sunset at the Badlands is nothing short of amazing. It’s just the right mixture of clouds and clear to make for dramatic shapes and interesting colors. Everything I can pack up is packed, so there’s nothing else to do but walk the grounds I have called home for the past almost six months…

1. Cathy P. on March 27, 2015 at 11:03 am

We just downloaded the book this morning. I read through the narrative but have not yet gone to the worksheets, etc. You have done an excellent job covering all the aspects briefly yet completely and in a generic fashion that can be applied to individual situations. On our 8th RV and having studied full-timing since I found out there was something like that, some 25 years now, I can say that I was very impressed. I have a few RVing books and none are like yours. You don’t ramble on and on which I greatly appreciate – give me the info and move on as I would rather have just the “meat”. I hope that sales go well and I think this applies to many people and even if you don’t end up full-time RVing, it would still be an interesting read to help you understand why and how others come to a decision to do it.

• Becky on March 27, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Cathy, thank your for purchasing and I’m glad you’ve found the guide helpful!

Say, would you mind if I used part of this comment as a testimonial?

2. Amber on March 20, 2015 at 8:10 am

Can’t wait for the further information and to get my copy!!!
    Amber recently posted..What’s your favorite thing about your Airstream? (or other home)My Profile

• Becky on March 20, 2015 at 9:25 am

Thanks Amber, four more days!

Took a look at your TinCan, I always loved those panoramic windows on Airstreams too. 🙂

3. Traveling Troy on March 19, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! On the book. I’ll buy a copy! I’m glad you were able to complete the book and set a launch date. That is awesome!

I think more people in their 20s and 30s should be out traveling and working from the road. You are an inspiration and I wish I would have included you in my Top 10 Vandwellers of 2014 post/video but you’re not in a van. I did include RV Sue since she tows with a van. 🙂

I always enjoy your posts, Becky. Good Stuff!!
    Traveling Troy recently posted..Final Prep Work Before Camper Van BuildMy Profile

• Becky on March 20, 2015 at 9:20 am

Thanks Troy! I’m so happy to be getting it out there finally. And I understand about the van post. 😉

Good luck on your van rebuild!

4. Sue on March 18, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Way Cool. I’m going to purchase your guide. Still working towards this goal to leave corporate.

Plus I still haven’t decided what I want for an rv. So many options, so your worksheet will be very helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience and what you have learned to help others, like me. 🙂

• Becky on March 19, 2015 at 9:24 am

Ah yes, deciding on which RV can be a big hurdle. I see more questions about “which RV” on forums and blogs than possibly any other question, there are so many options out there. The guide will certainly help you with that. 🙂

Best of luck to you! It’ll feel so very satisfying the day you leave that office for the last time.

5. Furry Gnome on March 18, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Congratulations Becky! Having gone back and read your entire blog when I first found you, I think I know much of the story. And I’ve noted your comments about working on it several times. I’m so impressed that you’ve stuck with and got it ready. Among all the RVing blogs I’ve read no-one else has articulated the personal goal-setting and choices involved in getting started like you have. And as I’ve said before, that goal-setting can be applied to many things in life, not just RVing. Thanks so much for continuing your story, and good luck with the book!

• Becky on March 19, 2015 at 9:19 am

You’re welcome Gnome, thank you for reading. 🙂

6. Terri on March 18, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Becky, I’m so happy for you – I know you have been working on this for a while! Even though I’m not going on the road, I’m going to buy it to support you! I’m sure it is extremely well written and researched, as is everything you do!
    Terri recently posted..Little Things for Which I am ThankfulMy Profile

• Becky on March 18, 2015 at 6:34 pm

I would sure hope so Terri, I started working on it in October of 2011! As it turns out, writing a guide is a lot more work than writing blog posts, but the learning pains and effort paid off – this is some good stuff. 🙂

I “awwed” when I saw your most recent post that pictures of your kitties in it, I have a weak spot especially for calicos and tortis. 😉

• Terri on March 19, 2015 at 10:16 am

Aw thanks, Becky! Callie is the one I’ve had the longest at this point and she’s now turning 10 this summer! She’s still as small as a kitten, I swear.

Oh, and I’m sure it’s good stuff, and will be very valuable to so many people.
        Terri recently posted..Little Things for Which I am ThankfulMy Profile

7. Mike German on March 18, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Looking forward to purchasing it.

• Becky on March 18, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Thanks Mike, hopefully you’ll enjoy reading it too, haha.

8. Toni on March 18, 2015 at 11:43 am

What a special project! Wish we had this 2 1/2years ago. It took us 2 years to get our ducks in a row, but we made it. This will be an awesome tool to help others experience adventured you and I have had.
    Congratulations

• Becky on March 18, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Thanks Toni, I can’t wait to share this with the world. Sorry it was too late for you but sounds like you made it work anyway. 🙂

From your blog it looks like you’re currently in/ have been to the Florida keys recently? I’m a bit jealous! I didn’t make it that far south when I was volunteering near Gainesville last year and I intend to go back sometime to see the keys.

• toni on March 21, 2015 at 7:02 pm

We will still get your book, It probably has quite a few gems we haven’t even addressed yet. Thank you for all of your hard work

9. Kristi & Daisie on March 18, 2015 at 11:41 am

Looking forward to your posts and ebook. I’m working towards going fulltime later this summer after inheriting a small fifth wheel from my dad and already having a truck to pull it with. That’s two things out of the way as I work towards making sure everything is road-worthy. I’m not old enough to retire, but I have 35 years administrative experience and great references. Hoping I can work at temp agencies along the way to support myself. I have a great desire to travel before I get too old to do it. 🙂

• Becky on March 18, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Congrats Kristi and Daisie!

Later this summer, that isn’t long at all – it’ll be here before you know it. Fifth-wheels make good traveling homes, I love how many have those big living rooms in the back. I hope you enjoy yours.

I did apply with a temp agency my first winter on the road, it worked despite me technically not “living” in the area. Just be sure to let the agency know how long you plan to be in the area etc.

Best of luck, safe travels and happy trails!

10. Reine in Plano on March 18, 2015 at 10:29 am

I think the encouraging thing for many folks is that you and Julie had dreams, the persistence to research them to decide whether they were achievable or just a fantasy and then actually did the work necessary to make the dream a reality. If I remember correctly it took you 3 years from the initial idea before you actually hit the road and another two years solo before Julie joined you.

Congratulations on completing the e-book. I know it will be extremely helpful to many folks thinking of full time RVing.

• Becky on March 18, 2015 at 11:46 am

Actually it was less than two Reine! December 17th, 2010 was the day I first seriously contemplated going full-timing (more on that is coming up!), September 14th, 2012 was my launch day. 🙂

As I just said above to Shelly, Julie never had the full-time dream the way I did. She loves RVing and travel, but doesn’t desire to do it full-time right now. She’s been on a sabbatical from her career as a vet tech but is going back to it next month. This has been a great working vacation to her. 🙂

And thanks! I’m looking forward to the changes this guide is going to make in people’s lives.

11. Shelly from Durham, NC on March 18, 2015 at 9:06 am

Becky, I have been enjoying your post for the past several months. You are a beautiful story teller with great writing skills.

I have a question, you refer to yourself as a solo rv’er however you have a roommate and travel companion and it looks like she has been travelling with you for quite some time now. I assume Julie contributes to expenses, chores, driving, navigations and decision making. Can you really consider yourself solo when you have so much help and companionship? Are you not more like a couple? As I have only been reading for a few months I do not know all the back story of Julie but does she feel minimized when you refer to yourself as a “solo” rv’er?

• Becky on March 18, 2015 at 11:36 am

It’s a valid question Shelly.

Julie’s been traveling with me for six months now, but her sabbatical is ending next month. After the park hosting gig ends on March 29 we’re making our way up to Wisconsin where I’ll be dropping her off at her hometown to get back to her “real” life.

We’re best friends and had been hoping to travel together ever since 2009 as indicated in the story – but we always knew it’d be temporary. She loves her real career as a vet tech and is looking forward to getting back to it and having more room for her cat and a real shower that she can use every day. 😉

I’d been a solo full-timer for two years before Julie started traveling with me, and I’ll be one again next month. She doesn’t feel minimized at all by me considering myself a solo still – I’ve still done the lion’s share of the decision making and driving. This is really like a working vacation for her.

• Shelly from Durham, NC on March 18, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Thank you Becky for the thorough and thoughtful answer. I saw that you and Julie were trailer dreaming in 2009 and I thought she was your constant companion all this time. As I said I am fairly new to following you so I didn’t have the full picture. I enjoy everyone of your post and feel like you are have a huge adventure which you are giving us a wonderful window to peak into your life and watch your travels. Please understand I was not trying to be snarky, just confused.

• Becky on March 18, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Not at all Shelly, I understand! It can be confusing if you started reading IO recently. 🙂

• Julie on March 18, 2015 at 11:57 am

Hey Shelly, this is Julie. I’d definitely consider Becky a solo RVer, I’m more like that extended house guest who is (with permission) taking advantage of her rather awesome living arrangement for 6 months. She did all the work getting herself to where she is, though I’ve been lucky enough to be a sounding board on occasion. Right now I’m more or less along for the ride, Becky doing the majority of the planning though I’m signing up for the same jobs. She’s the pilot and navigator, I’m a passenger.
      As for chores and some expenses (mainly food and gas) we’re splitting them while I’m here which I figure is fair exchange for letting me and my cat share her living space.
      I think I’m coming out well in the arrangement and returning to my ‘real’ life is going to take a bit of adjustment next month. I’m sure we’ll both be ready for our own space again, after all Cas is rather small and my cat has decided that he owns all of it. I’m just glad I’ve gotten to experience this type of living as it’s pretty amazing. Maybe someday I’ll use Becky’s expertise and guide to become a gypsy myself, but right now it’s not my dream. For now I know I will always have the unique option of a friend to visit while on vacation that will always be in a different place each time.

• Shelly from Durham, NC on March 18, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Hi Julie. I just posted to Becky my confusion about the length you had been traveling with her. I bet it has been fun for both of you and probably a little more than cramped in the Casita. Glad that you are such good friends that you got to share an adventure together.

12. Jodee Gravel on March 18, 2015 at 7:55 am

Excited to see a launch date for your new baby! I love people’s “why” stories, and practical worksheets for figuring out personal situations, so your book sounds like a spot-on winner to me 🙂

Nice to know you and Julie are now living that life you dreamed of on that little beach.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Those Jello Plans Everyone Talks AboutMy Profile

• Becky on March 18, 2015 at 8:47 am

At the time I thought we’d never get there Jodee! Wishes can come true. 🙂

Not too many ebooks offer worksheets to go with, but I’m thinking it’ll make it easier to put the information into action.

13. Jerry Minchey on March 18, 2015 at 7:29 am

Great looking book cover Becky. I think you said that you do your own graphic design. That cover is very eye-catching.

I can’t wait to read your book.

Jerry Minchey

• Becky on March 18, 2015 at 8:44 am

Thanks Jerry and yes I did the cover myself. I’ve been making digital art longer than I’ve been writing actually, it’s just all been for personal use before now. 🙂

14. Janett on March 18, 2015 at 5:59 am

Becky, you just made my day! 🙂

• Becky on March 18, 2015 at 8:41 am

Haha, glad to hear it Janett! I can’t wait to share this with you all.

15. Ron on March 17, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Hope you sell a million copies, I have not heard of anything similar available. Good luck and thanks again for sharing. Ron

• Becky on March 18, 2015 at 8:40 am

Thank you Ron. 🙂

16. Tina on March 17, 2015 at 8:55 pm

🙂 So excited can’t wait to check it out!!!

Tina

• Becky on March 17, 2015 at 10:16 pm

I’m excited to share it with you Tina!