Pedernales Falls and Friends

A spring fed stream cuts a path through limestone

A spring fed stream cuts a path through limestone

Sunday, March 29

Originally, Julie and I were going to visit Pedernales Falls State Park on Thursday, but when I heard Cherie and Chris of Technomadia were going to be arriving there today, well, we quickly changed our plans. Their blog helped me a lot when I was preparing to hit the road, and we’d met up once before my first summer on the road at Badlands National Park – really cool people.

Driving all the way from San Angelo State Park was going to take them a while, so when Julie and I arrived we had time to explore.

The daily park entrance fee for P. Falls is $6 a person, 12 and under free. Unlike Enchanted Rock, there is a lot of camping here. The primitive walk in sites are $10 a night, and the regular campsites (all of which have water and electric) are $20 a night – there are 69 of them. The regular campsites all have paved driveways, I’d estimate that half can accommodate larger (40+ foot) rigs, but I didn’t see any pull-throughs. Most have at least partial shade.

A flowering tree in front of a pool

A flowering tree in front of a pool

The high is forecast to be in the mid 80’s today, phew. Better get our hiking in before it gets too hot.

Julie and I take the Wolf Mountain loop trail, a 7 mile hike out past the primitive camping area that circles the peak. It’s long, but rated easy with a wide bike-friendly gravel road for most of the way.

At the far end of the loop runs Jones’ Spring, a small but cheerful burble of water that cuts through the limestone to provide a relaxing place to have lunch.

pedernales-falls-and-friends3There aren’t any scenic overlooks along this trail, but it’s still a nice hike. It’s a more forested environment than where we’re park hosting. Juniper trees provide welcome shade The oaks are bright green with new leaves. Cactus are sparse.

There are over 20 miles of trails to enjoy in Pedernales Falls, but the main attraction is the Pedernales River. Sections of the river are open for swimming and tubing and after a long hike, getting our feet wet sounds like a great idea.

We mosey down to the swimming area. The river is rocky with beautiful cypress trees along the shore just getting their spring green. The water is cool compared to the air temperature but not cold, and it feels great.

Pedernales River swim area

Pedernales River swim area

The falls the park is named for is farther upstream from the swimming area and is, but all I’ve heard, I rather spectacular sight. Julie and I don’t make it there however. After cooling off in the river we head to the campground to meet up with Chris and Cherie. I’ll just post this internet picture of the falls and we can all imagine we went there to enjoy it:

pedernales-falls-and-friends5

Hanging out with Technomadia!

Hanging out with Technomadia!

After catching up and enjoying a delicious dinner of red curry that Cherie put together, the four of us take the short quarter mile hike down to the Twin Falls overlook, accessible right from the campground. The evening lighting makes capturing a photo hard, but it sure is a pretty place.

Good friends, good food, and beautiful scenery, what more could a nomad ask for?

Today (Tuesday) we’re back in travel mode and starting the trek up to Wisconsin. First stop: the Casita factory. See you all there.

The bluebonnets have arrived!

The bluebonnets have arrived!

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon.com shopping using my affiliate link.

Related Posts

1. Jodee Gravel on April 2, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I never realized the blue bonnets I hear about all the time from Texas travelers are the same as our very common lupine in SoCal! They’re still beautiful, and a great sign of Spring. How fun to catch up with Chris and Cherie – love the pic! Safe travels north.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..The Reunion Ends, But We Don’t LeaveMy Profile

• Becky on April 2, 2015 at 4:40 pm

I love how RV travel gives so many opportunities to learn new things Jodee. 🙂

Enjoy your spring in Cali!

2. PamelaP on April 1, 2015 at 4:00 pm

We were in the Rio Grande Valley a couple of weeks ago & didn’t get to see the bluebonnets there but we did see other flora & fauna.

Does this mean you’ll work for us in Texas this year? ;0)

• Becky on April 2, 2015 at 9:48 am

Yes the bluebonnets just came out in the hill country a few days ago, I’m happy I got to see them before I left!

And I applied for Haslet on Feb 16 😉 it’s not official yet though, still waiting to hear from Joni.

3. Paul on April 1, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Becky …great pictures and description of the area .
    But ,may I suggest that someplace in each update ,could you include the name of the State you are in ? For those of us just beginning to follow you , it would help to get “up to speed ” with your travels .

• Becky on April 2, 2015 at 9:45 am

Hello Paul, welcome to IO!

Normally I list the state under the tags for each travelogue post but I forgot this time, thanks for catching that. I also say where I am and what I’m up to under The Adventure tab, but I realize I don’t mention that in my About page, I probably should. 🙂 thanks for the suggestion and I hope you enjoy my blog.

4. Rosemary on April 1, 2015 at 11:19 am

Becky you continue to show us the beauty of America. This is now a park we will definetly be visiting.
    Going to Wisconsin, does that mean going home for a visit?
    Love the picture of the four of you.
    Hope your trip continues to see safe and of course looking forward to future posts.

Rosemary

• Becky on April 2, 2015 at 9:40 am

Hello Rosemary,

Yes, I’m dropping Julie back off home and visiting family and friends there for a while before heading out to Yellowstone for the summer.

Thanks for reading, I’m glad you enjoyed this. 🙂

5. Eliana on April 1, 2015 at 7:46 am

Glad you enjoyed the park, we were there a couple months ago and really enjoyed it! Talked to a lady that said a huge wild boar visited their campfire and faced off with their dog! Crazy!

• Becky on April 1, 2015 at 10:24 am

The the feral pigs are a real problem at Pedernales, they’re invasive to the area and efforts are made to trap them but it’s hard. Glad you had a good time!

6. Lacy on March 31, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Love the pics! Aren’t Bluebonnets and Lupines the same thing? Again, no expert – but I love seeing them!

• Becky on April 1, 2015 at 10:21 am

Looked it up and you’re correct Lacy! Bluebonnet is the common name for the variety found in Texas 🙂

7. Cherie @Technomadia on March 31, 2015 at 8:21 pm

It was so much fun to get to hang out together for an afternoon.. thanks so much for adjusting your plans to converge with ours. Wishing you many fantastic adventures ahead!
    Cherie @Technomadia recently posted..Texas is BIG – 660 Miles through West TexasMy Profile

• Becky on April 1, 2015 at 10:20 am

It was fun Cherie, so glad it worked out!

8. Frank on March 31, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Nice colors and the water…
    Looked interesting in that small canyon with the colors of the moss/grass whatever…
    fun..

• Becky on March 31, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Yeah it was a neat place Frank, maybe you could go visit once you have your next camper. 🙂

9. dawn from camano island on March 31, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Bluebonnets (although they sure do look like lupine to me), friends & falls–does life get better than this? I’d ask you to have fun but you don’t need any help there. Congratulations on the guide–you’ve done a fantastic job of packing a lot of information in there!

• Becky on March 31, 2015 at 4:04 pm

I’m pretty sure they’re bluebonnets but I’ll admit I’m no expert. Thanks and I’m glad you enjoyed the guide Dawn! And yeah, having fun will not be a problem. 🙂

10. Jerry Minchey on March 31, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post the beautiful pictures. The four of you all look happy in the picture you posted with Chris, Cherie, and Julie.

• Becky on March 31, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Glad you enjoyed the pictures Jerry.

11. Pleinguy on March 31, 2015 at 11:39 am

Have a safe trip north. Hope you have a fun summer.
    Pleinguy recently posted..PatagoniaMy Profile

• Becky on March 31, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Thanks Plein, hope you have a good summer too!

12. Todd E. on March 31, 2015 at 8:10 am

If you get near Randolph, stop in & meet a couple of future travelers.

• Becky on March 31, 2015 at 4:00 pm

We’re on a pretty tight schedule I’m afraid Todd (trying to get to my parents house in time for my Mom’s b-day) but someday! Best of luck to you.