Friends and Groceries

Last week was quite busy socially. Met up with Bob Wells of CheapRVLiving after work on Tuesday, he dropped by the Old Faithful area and we had lunch.

friends-and-groceries1

After hiking the Clear Lake Loop with Jayne on Thursday we went up to Canyon Village for ice cream and dropped in on Kirsty and Art, people I worked with at Amazon last fall (at Fernley, NV).

friends-and-groceries2

And then before work on Saturday I drove to West Yellowstone where Jackie and I took a long walk around town and met up with some friends of hers from Amazon last year (at Campbellsville, KY).

friends-and-groceries3

Never let anyone tell you that solo RVing must be a lonely existence. It can be if you want it to, but it certainly doesn’t have to! I’m due to meet up with Malia hopefully within the next week or so, we’re still working out the timing.

That isn’t all I’ve been up to. There have been a ridiculous number of flowers to photograph…

friends-and-groceries4

And thermal features to see…

friends-and-groceries5

And groceries to buy…

friends-and-groceries6

Yes, even running to Walmart for a grocery/supply run is a scenic endeavor around here. The drive to Bozeman from Old Faithful is about two hours. You head out to West Yellowstone, then take 191 north out of town and pretty much keep going until you hit the city.

The road winds through a twisty little canyon north of Big Sky, and a fast running little river parallels it much of the way. This whole area is part of Gallatin National Forest, and there are several little campgrounds along the water on the way. I find myself peering through the trees at each one as we pass (it was a communal trip with my neighbors), trying to see which one has the best sites. I’d love to come back here someday when I’m not working and stay in one of those little campgrounds.

friends-and-groceries7

These three pictures were taken on the trip four weeks ago when the low clouds in the mountains made for a dramatic backdrop. Today was bright and sunny and things looked much different, but with all the pollen on the windows (I’m looking at you, pine trees…) it wasn’t possible to get a good photo.

friends-and-groceries8

Tomorrow’s my second day off, and I have no idea what I’m going to do yet. It’s a truly wonderful feeling. Laundry will need to get done in the evening, but the rest of the day is wide open. Maybe I’ll go hike to Lonestar Geyser. Maybe I’ll drive up Dunraven Pass. Maybe I’ll laze about outside and read my kindle. Ahh, freedom.

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon shopping using my affiliate link.

friends-and-groceries9

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

2016 Health Insurance Update

December 15, 2015 | 53

Last year, I wrote a pretty lengthy article on South Dakota health insurance for pre-retirement RVers. You can review that article for the full story but here’s a recap: Up until 2015 I had a low cost, high deductible plan that would cover me in case of emergency only, everything else I paid out of…

For Those Who Can’t Travel Full-time Yet

June 5, 2018 | 19

I get a lot of wistful comments and e-mails from people who would love to do what I do, but there are very solid reasons why they can’t at this point in their life. These reasons aren’t just excuses because they don’t want to put in the effort. I get plenty of answers like that…

Spilling The Beans

April 13, 2016 | 54

After a fantastic hike among the rocks at the back of Sawtooth campground on Wednesday the 6th (the pictures in the previous post), it rains for the rest of my stay. Not all day, never very hard, but the sky remains overcast and and the air is chill. Because of the lack of sunlight I…

1. Pamela on July 6, 2015 at 6:38 am

Hi Becky,

Am enjoying reading your website and seeing such amazing pictures. Hope to make it up to Yellowstone someday. Your post is having me wish I was hitting the road like right now!! 🙂 Cheers!

• Becky on July 6, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Welcome to IO Pamela 🙂

Yes, you should get up to Yellowstone, it’s an amazing and unique place. Hope to see you on the road someday!

2. Marcia GB in MA on June 30, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Ahh, what a great life you have! Bozeman is a cool city, lots going on there.

• Becky on July 4, 2015 at 9:58 am

I did like what I saw of it Marcia. 🙂

3. Jim at Growing Faith on June 26, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I love seeing the photos with you in them, looking so happy! 🙂 I’m thankful that you have found a way to be social with your lifestyle. It takes a bit of effort, or at least it does for me. I am using meetup.com as I spend my summer in Madison Wisconsin.

The triple photo of the thermal features, I LOVE the one on the left!

I’m so thankful that your life is full, and you are enjoying yourself.

I hope to be able to meet you in August or September as I travel west from Wisconsin. I have the Interstellar Orchard on my list of things I would like to see some day 🙂
    Jim at Growing Faith recently posted..DenominationsMy Profile

• Becky on June 26, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Madison is a fun city, that’s where I went to college and I hope you’re enjoying your time there.

In Aug/Sept I should still be here in Yellowstone, if you can make it through that’d be great. 🙂

4. Angela on June 26, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Becky, you’re so cute. You look very happy to be connecting with your friends.
    And I’m sorry wait, what? You said Wal-Mart and scenic in the same sentence? 🙂 Now there’s something I’d have to see to believe. heehee

Also, very cool that you got to hang out with Bob!

• Becky on June 26, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Angela, I overnighted in my truck once (back before I had Cas) at a Walmart in Myrtle Beach that bordered on a lake, no kidding. Had geese and ducks right outside the truck and lakefront property for the night. 🙂

5. Regis Hampton on June 26, 2015 at 11:32 am

Becky,

Next time you get to Bozeman do the Hialite Creek to Hialite Lake hike. Very nice hike and an abundance of huckleberrys along the way.

• Becky on June 26, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Thanks for the info Regis, I’ll see what I can do next time I’m there.

6. Mike Kuper on June 26, 2015 at 11:19 am

Hi Becky – that route to Bozeman runs parallel to Grayling Creek then it follows the Gallatin River. We drove that stretch when we left West Yellowstone last summer.
    Mike Kuper recently posted..Cat CallMy Profile

• Becky on June 26, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Isn’t it beautiful Mike? I hope you were able to enjoy it when you made the drive.

7. Rene Kipp on June 26, 2015 at 11:17 am

Your smile says a thousand words. You look quite happy 🙂 Loneliness is for those who don’t see the beauty in everyday life. You definitely see beauty all around you!
    Rene Kipp recently posted..All Together AgainMy Profile

• Becky on June 26, 2015 at 11:08 pm

It’s two connected life views in a way. Seeing the beauty all around me makes every day an adventure worth experiencing, and making the effort to reach out to people I meet on the adventure keeps me from getting lonely. 🙂

8. jim on June 26, 2015 at 11:07 am

Why is it that Walmart is 10 min. away from me and I hate going to shop but its 2 hours away from you and it’s an amazing adventure. Life sure is funny and no doubt you are making the most of yours. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Be safe.

• Becky on June 26, 2015 at 11:04 pm

I like to think I have a superpower Jim, the ability to view every day as an adventure, no matter how mundane. It’s all a matter of perspective.

You’re welcome, and thank you for following along.

9. Kim on June 26, 2015 at 9:48 am

Such a wondrous place. One of the best benefits of blogging, don’t you think? Meeting kindred spirits.
    Kim recently posted..Greetings from the Surface of the Sun!My Profile

• Becky on June 26, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Definitely Kim.

10. Jodee Gravel on June 26, 2015 at 8:45 am

How fun to connect with all those friends – you all look so happy! You continue to capture great shots with your IPhone – really love that last one 🙂 Pretty sweet commute for groceries too.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Over the River and Through the WoodsMy Profile

• Becky on June 26, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Isn’t it though? And yes, lot of happy people on the road, can’t imagine why. 😉

11. Jerry on June 26, 2015 at 8:33 am

I’m enjoying your website. Some mutual friends from Bob’s site directed me here, as we plan to be visiting Yellowstone and the surrounding area in late July and early August. So my wife and I plan to pick through your posts carefully *grin*.

• Becky on June 26, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Hehe, hope you find a lot of useful info here Jerry! Welcome to IO and glad to have you here.

12. Bodhi on June 26, 2015 at 7:49 am

Bozeman?!?! Now, I’m jealous. Bozeman is one of my “bucket list” destinations. I may never get to do it but I have always been fascinated with the “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” PILGRIMAGE, which ends in Bozeman.

What am I saying? I’ve been jealous since first reading your blog. Thank you for sharing your adventures.

• Becky on June 26, 2015 at 10:55 pm

You’re welcome Bodhi, glad you’re enjoying my blog.

Bozeman is a nice city, bigger than I thought it’d be but spread out. You aren’t the first one to mention that book, I’ll have to look into it someday.

13. Jerry Minchey on June 26, 2015 at 6:41 am

Becky, You sure do look happy in those pictures. With all of the beautiful scenery (and friends) around you, how could you not be happy.

I like your comment, “Never let anyone tell you that solo RVing must be a lonely existence.” You nailed it. I travel solo and I’ve never found it to be lonely.

I’m sure that getting to have lunch with Bob Wells was an enjoyable time. I’ve followed his site for a long time and hope to meet up with him someday.

P.S. I bet now your aunts are really thinking that the life you’re living is a “hoot” (their word).

• Becky on June 26, 2015 at 10:31 pm

They likely are Jerry. 🙂

It surprises me how social RVing can be, more so than living in an apartment was! Part of it is just the huge number of new people you come in contact with on a regular basis, if you’re staying in campgrounds and working in customer service anyway. If you go boondocking in remote places, you can effectively live like a hermit too. There’s just so much variety.

Bob’s a great guy, I hope you get the chance to meet him. While not set in stone yet, I’m tentatively planning to hit Quartzsite this winter, and if so I’ll drop in on the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous that he hosts there.

14. Malia on June 26, 2015 at 12:56 am

I’m looking forward to meeting up with you, too. Your pictures and tales have kept me excited about getting here, so I’m so glad to actually be here in person!

• Becky on June 26, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Hope you’re enjoying yourself Malia! My next two days off (Thurs and Fri) I’ll be at a class up at the Lamar Buffalo Ranch, maybe we can meet either before or after work some day, or if you’ll be around still the 9th and 10th, I should have those days off.

15. Yamila Abraham on June 25, 2015 at 11:36 pm

What did you buy? What kind of eating do you do in your RV?
    Yamila Abraham recently posted..Finally Leaving Acton!!My Profile