In Class

First campfire in Yellowstone!

First campfire in Yellowstone!

This post was written on Tuesday, as while you’re reading this I’m on day two of a three day class at the Yellowstone Association Institute in Lamar Valley. There is no cell reception, TV, or even electrical outlets at the rustic cabin I’m staying in so I am quite thoroughly out of touch. It’s one additional perk of being a YA employee, that I get to attend one of these multi-day educational classes for free. Talk about a sweet deal!

Besides the campfire photo, the rest of these are from a drive to Yellowstone Lake last week. My primary goal of this outing was to write actually. When I can’t focus on work at the RV, I sometimes find that loading up my laptop and driving somewhere else helps. After the brief walk where I took these photos, I settled in the passenger seat of Bertha and typed away while watching the antics of ducks diving in the choppy water. It worked like a charm.

Lot of deadfall on the beach

Lot of deadfall on the beach

Rhyolite breaks down into a gray gavel sand

Rhyolite breaks down into a gray gavel sand

I’ll be back online late Friday or early Saturday to respond to any comments or e-mails, in the meantime feel free to talk amongst yourselves! A full report on my class will be probably be coming on Monday.

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon shopping using my affiliate link.

Signs of life

Signs of life – can anyone identify the critter in the left panel? (click for larger image)

Related Posts

1. Rene Kipp on July 6, 2015 at 3:17 pm

With such a vast and beautiful back yard it’s no wonder that you’re not so inspired to write while sitting in Cas. I find a good dose of Mother Nature cures just about anything 🙂
    I see you have another mode of transportation. Did you buy a bike or are you renting it during your time in YP?
    Rene Kipp recently posted..Happenings, Part 3 -> Putting On A Bed & DeparturesMy Profile

• Becky on July 6, 2015 at 10:37 pm

I’m borrowing it from one of my coworkers who doesn’t use it. Makes my 16 minute walk into work a 8 minute ride, handy!

2. Ron on July 5, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Yup, just checked my laptop, it’s a muskrat, we used to trap them as kids for spending $$$ so the rich ladies could have their fur coats.

• Becky on July 6, 2015 at 10:36 pm

He (or she) sure was a good swimmer Ron.

3. Ron on July 5, 2015 at 7:17 pm

What a Summer you are having!!!
    Great photos again. Hard to see the little creature on my phone but sounds like a muskrat to me.

• Becky on July 6, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Glad you’re enjoying them Ron!

4. Barb on July 4, 2015 at 10:06 pm

We vote for muskrat, having just seen several of them as well as beaver while fishing. Yes, skinny tails on muskrat.

• Becky on July 6, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Works for me Barb. 🙂

5. Becky on July 4, 2015 at 10:16 am

Back from class!

To those who guessed – It’s tail was thin so it can’t be a beaver. I should have put that in the description, I was in such a hurry to get this done and scheduled that I forgot that piece of information, sorry.

Jodee – Yeah, I had a blast. 🙂

Claire – I won’t have time off again until Thursday and Friday, will you still be around then or no? I’ll be looking at and responding to your e-mail once comments are done.

Andy – I’ll get more into classes offered and how to sign up on Monday’s post. They’re actually classes for paying guests to Yellowstone, but as employees we get to sign up for one free one a season.

6. Ron on July 3, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Looks like a river otter to me.

7. Andy on July 3, 2015 at 3:50 pm

That sounds terrific. What types of seminars / classes do they offer volunteers?
    Andy recently posted..Hiking Black Bear Wilderness AreaMy Profile

8. Sheila Hagadone on July 3, 2015 at 1:14 pm

It’s a beaver!

9. claire on July 3, 2015 at 11:43 am

becky, i just sent you an email, not sure you got it. i’m at rainbow point cg, 7 miles outside west entrance to yellowstone, on site B4, in my 2013 patriot deluxe. if you’re still interested in downsizing and might want to see “sassie cassie” you’re welcome to stop by. i’m home every evening for dinner, for sure! this trailer is everything i need and i could not be happier with it.
    regards, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

10. Norm K on July 3, 2015 at 9:57 am

It looks like a beaver or maybe a nutria? I also worked for YPSS back in ’79 at Old Faithful! What a great experience.

11. Steve on July 3, 2015 at 9:57 am

I agree with mike. Can’t see very much if it, but appears to have a tail like a beaver, and they are numerous there…
    Safe travels.

12. Jodee Gravel on July 3, 2015 at 9:13 am

How great to get free classes and a rustic little cabin to stay in. I’m very impressed with all the education YA provides their employees, and that they include their volunteers as well. I look forward to hearing what you learned! No idea what your critter is.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Beautiful and Peaceful Trinidad, CAMy Profile

13. Richard Whitney on July 3, 2015 at 9:12 am

Beaver

14. Mike on July 3, 2015 at 4:04 am

I can not quite see the tail, but it looks like a beaver.

15. Roger Fell on July 2, 2015 at 11:09 pm

It’s a muskrat, very common here in Alberta.