Boyd RV Park

Boyd RV in Boyd, TX. I'm in #38

Boyd RV in Boyd, TX. I’m in #38

The move yesterday went fine and now Cas is snugged away in my new home base at Boyd RV, twenty miles closer to Amazon. And just in time too. It started raining this morning and it’s predicted we’ll get 3 to 6 inches by late Saturday night. So no fun outings for me this “weekend” (my days off are Wed-Fri as long as overtime isn’t called), I’ll be enjoying the rest of my time off at home.

As for the park itself, it’s small and was accurately described by one of my neighbors as a rock quarry. It’s all gravel, but given the forecast that doesn’t seem so bad right now. It does have trees and is in a nice enough neighborhood. Behind those trees lie train tracks, you can definitely hear the trains going by at night and that does bother some people, but I don’t mind.

The town of Boyd is tiny but cute. It has a small grocery store and a few restaurants. When I arrived yesterday I went out with two coworkers to a hamburger/Thai joint (what a combo, huh?) in the little downtown strip. The food was decent and prices reasonable, there’s also a donut shop and a gumbo place in the same area that I’d like to try out.

A gravel lot, but it has trees and a bit of a view

A gravel lot, but it has trees and a bit of a view

Hopefully next weekend the weather will be better and I’ll be able to visit some of the attractions in the area.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Keyesville Recreation Site, CA

April 19, 2016 | 22

Friday, April 15 (continued) After confirming the check engine light is nothing serious, I turn northeast on 178 out of Bakersfield, CA. A barren and rugged fold of mountains lies ahead. I’d heard from the internet that this drive was scenic, but you never really know what you’re going to get until you see it…

Holiday Update

December 27, 2012 | 20

I hope everyone had a good holiday, I know I am! The trip up to Wisconsin was uneventful. Google thought it should take 9 hours and 48 minutes to drive the 640ish miles from Coffeyville to Madison, so I figured it’d be 12 hours pulling the RV since I go a maximum of 60 mph,…

The Less Glamorous Side of RVing

April 28, 2015 | 28

In one week I’ll be leaving Wisconsin and heading out to Yellowstone! Some tasks are hard to do or frowned upon while in an RV park, so instead of doing a lot of sight-seeing or day trips during my time parked in my parent’s driveway, I’ve been pretty busy making good use of this time…

1. Diane on December 29, 2015 at 11:54 pm

Becky, love reading about your travels. We have also stayed in Boyd Texas to go to the swap meet in Decatur in February. Boyd has another campground 2.4 miles west of town that is much quieter and we think a bit nicer. It has a pond with ducks in the middle of the campground. The owner’s name is Tommy Tackett and he is a very nice and friendly Texan and they live next door! The address of the other campground is 2740 E State Highway 114, Boyd TX if you want to Google Map it and zoom in. Safe travels.

• Becky on December 30, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Thanks for sharing Diane! Sadly that campground you mentioned doesn’t participate in CamperForce so I couldn’t stay there, but I remember driving by it. πŸ™‚ Hope you enjoyed Decatur and Boyd, I did.

2. Jim@HiTek on October 27, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Not much to go on, but if your converter isn’t putting out 13V +, then yes, you may have a problem. I’d suggest you buy your own digital voltmeter and measure it yourself, or let us know what it is.

If you want to put off that work, you might just stop at a nearby Automotive store or a Walmart and purchase a 2.5Amp Float charger. By Schumacher. It’s under $25 and since you’re gone 12 hours per day, it’ll keep your battery charged. You’ll only need battery power when you’re home and if you keep the lights mostly off, you’ll be fine.
    Jim@HiTek recently posted..Fun in Seaside…My Profile

• Becky on October 30, 2015 at 8:08 pm

He gave me one actually Jim, a fancy one you touch to the battery terminals and adjust a dial for. It’s clear that the charger is putting out less than 13 volts, we tried it several times and several spots. He had a spare he got for free, hehe.

3. RGupnorth on October 25, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Good to hear that you are settled in for the season. Read about the robots at Amazon – they will take away some jobs – maybe just future growth hopefully.

How is the wiring problem working out?

• Becky on October 27, 2015 at 6:31 pm

A blog reader came out last Friday to test my system with a fancy doodad and confirmed that the converter was now putting out volts, but not enough to charge the battery. Looking like I’ll need a new one RG.

4. Becky on October 25, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Over 3 inches of rain later and the campground looks the same as it did on Thursday. no ruts or mud holes. I approve. πŸ™‚

5. Debbie in VA on October 24, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Happy to hear you were able to find closer digs! And you’re right, gravel is good when it rains, much better than mud ;-)!
    Debbie in VA recently posted..Escaped Prisoners!My Profile

6. Marcie on October 23, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Stay dry, when rain stops go further East to Roanoke, great choice of restaurants, and Denton, college town. And Grapevine all great places to visit and see.

• Becky on October 24, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Thanks for the advice Marcie!

7. Shelly, Durham, NC on October 23, 2015 at 1:58 pm

There will be no walking around barefoot for you at the rock quarry.

• Becky on October 24, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Texas has so many ants, not sure I’d want to anyway. πŸ˜‰

8. Jim Schmechel on October 23, 2015 at 12:24 pm

I’m glad you made it to your new home, and it has good drainage πŸ™‚ I actually enjoy the sound of trains. Best wishes to you, as you settle in. Cas really is adorable in your photo. You have a cute little house on wheels!
    Jim Schmechel recently posted..Ducks in a Row Family FarmMy Profile

• Becky on October 24, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Yeah, Cas looks a little lost between the big rigs on either side, but I get a lot more patio space this way Jim. πŸ˜‰

All is going well so far, thanks. Hope you’re having a good fall.

9. Jodee Gravel on October 23, 2015 at 10:07 am

Glad to see you found home closer to work – and having a little variety in food option is always a bonus! That storm has a lot of water in it, hope it passes over quickly.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..From Fish to Friends – A Very Good DayMy Profile

• Becky on October 24, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Just about over now Jodee, I think it’s the most rain in the shortest period of time that I’ve ever experienced but luckily the campground is away from streams and on higher ground.

10. Jim@HiTek on October 23, 2015 at 9:57 am

Shaving 40 miles off your daily commute? Most excellent. Especially after working a 10 hour shift and you’re exhausted.
    Jim@HiTek recently posted..Fun in Seaside…My Profile

• Becky on October 24, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Indeed Jim!

11. Rob on October 23, 2015 at 9:20 am

Closer to work is a real good thing, I was spoiled working at Adventureland.

• Becky on October 24, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I was spoiled working at Yellowstone. Walking to work was nice. πŸ™‚

12. Sherry in MT on October 23, 2015 at 8:07 am

You buckle down for the weekend for sure – the forecast sounds horrific heading your way. Cute little place and 20 miles closer is a good thing (as it appears will be the dry gravel). Not a time to be parked near any waterways! Stay safe!
    Sherry in MT recently posted..Busy Weeks are GoodMy Profile

• Becky on October 24, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Thanks. I think the worst of it is past now Sherry and while we’ve got a lot of puddles in the campground nothing’s underwater which is great! Had less work to do at Amazon though, because some of the semis got held up due to the weather.

13. claire on October 23, 2015 at 7:42 am

hi, becky, glad your move to boyd went well. don’t forget us at the halloween bash in lewisville, next friday, oct 30. i’ll have “sassie cassie” cleaned up for your viewing and everyone is excited to meet you. lewisville is a nice town, has everything you need/want in the way of shopping/restaurants/the lake, so i think you’ll enjoy your visit. see you friday, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

• Becky on October 24, 2015 at 6:43 pm

I won’t forget Claire! Looking forward to it, will be nice to relax by a lake after my first full week at Amazon.

14. Angela on October 23, 2015 at 7:41 am

Asian owned joint in my neighborhood (N. Dallas) is called “Chicken & Rice/Burger” That’s literally the name of the restaurant. lol

If you haven’t already definitely check out the FW Modern Art Museum sometime! They have local artists perform live there too, which is super cool.

I hope you don’t have any stalkers in north Texas, as you’ve given them your exact location for the next couple of months.

I’m kind of enjoying this downpour after the hot summer we had. I also hear it’s supposed to be a mild N. TX winter. (which will be nice after last year’s craziness)

• Becky on October 24, 2015 at 6:41 pm

That’s a funny name Angela. Haven’t heard of that museum but I’ll put it on my list!

I always give my exact location for places I stay a month or more at and I haven’t had any problems so far. Staying in RV parks and campgrounds for a long time like this you get to know your neighbors and everyone watches out for each other.

I hear that besides for that heavy rain this past spring the summer was dry again so all the locals here are happy for the rain. I hope the winter is mild, makes for more comfortable camping. πŸ™‚

15. Terri on October 23, 2015 at 6:12 am

Ah, the town of Boyd sounds like Kanab! (Except we don’t have Thai food, which is a total bummer!) That is a unique combo though – hamburger and Thai joint.

So glad for you the move went well, and I guess the next few days will be ones where you sit inside and chill with a good book. We finally think the rain is over here in Kanab, so maybe you’re getting what we had?

Does Amazon have you work shorter days in the beginning in Texas like they did at some of the other locations? And how do you feel about working days rather than nights? You must be psyched!
    Terri recently posted..Wants vs. NeedsMy Profile

• Becky on October 24, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Smaller than Kanab, but a similar vibe Terri. And yeah the Thai/hamburger combo is amusing and appreciated. πŸ˜›

I worked my first full day today. I believe all of the CamperForce sites has one 20 hour week and then it jumps to full-time. It’s too early yet to say whether days or nights is going to make any real difference to me, we’ll see in a week or so.

Glad things are drying out there! Stops raining tomorrow here…

16. Jill on October 22, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Thanks for the “Becky update”. I always love hearing what you’re up to. Be safe. Hugs.

• Becky on October 24, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Thanks Jill, I hope all is going well in your neck of the woods!