Photo: Will It Ever Stop Raining?

photo-rain

This wasn’t even the worst of it…

I think this past weekend was possibly the wettest I’ve ever experienced in my whole life. It started raining on Thanksgiving and continued through Sunday. Boyd got over five inches, bringing the total for October and November to nearly 20 inches.  To date, the Dallas/Fort Worth area has already had 58.78 inches of rain this year making it the wettest year on record by a good 5 inches.

I woke up on Saturday to a wet bed because my window was leaking. I had to take my shoes and socks off, roll up my pants and wade through the lake in front of the Casita to catch my ride to work in the 35 degree weather. The road to Decatur is still closed because the Trinity River is flooding, I’m going to do my grocery shopping elsewhere.

This coming weekend is suppose to be sunny though, which I’m really looking forward to because my solar gear arrived last week and I’ve been itching to try it out! I’ll be making a full report on my new LED lights, propane heater, and solar stuff soon…

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Photo: Blue Skies

October 26, 2015 |

Those of you who’ve been following me at least a year know that when Amazon starts piling on the overtime that the two or three hours I get that aren’t devoted to work or sleeping are devoted to eating, showering, and relaxing, and time is at a premium. Well, the Receive department is on mandatory overtime,…

Work In Progress

August 5, 2019 |

Ahh, being a creative writer. Sometimes the words come easy, sometimes they don’t. They’re being particularly stubborn when it comes to Yellowstone. I’m working on it as I can, and in the meantime I just wanted to let you all know that: Yellowstone was fun, Julie and I had a blast backpacking (and weren’t eaten…

Photo: Have A Life

November 10, 2014 |

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to have a life.

1. Jim Schmechel on December 4, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Oh my, this sounds horrible! I hope the rain passes soon. Last Winter I was in Florida, and something similar happened. It started raining, and kept raining day and night, for days. I was living in a tent back then, and the tent started leaking. Not fun! I was very thankful when the rain finally ended.

I drove through Quartzsite, Arizona the other day, on my way to Yuma, Arizona. Um, I’m not sure if there is a grocery store within 20 miles (at least according to my GPS, and observations). So, if you go, be prepared! I plan to do a little more research to see if I missed something. Otherwise I may only go for a day or two, if I go at all.

Hang in there!
    Jim Schmechel recently posted..What I Am Thankful ForMy Profile

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Ugh, yeah as bad as it was in an RV it would be 10 times worse in a tent Jim.

Bob Wells says there are several small local grocery stores in Quartzsite, but they’re pricey. The closest chain is in Blythe 22 miles away. The closest Walmart is in Parker 40 miles away. I’m going to stock up on what I can before I arrive. 🙂

2. Reine in Plano on December 3, 2015 at 9:47 am

Yep, it was definitely WET here in north Texas. But the sun FINALLY started shining yesterday and the weather dudes have removed rain from the forecast for the next 7-10 days so you should have good weather for your time off this week. Sorry about your leak. Hopefully you’ve been able to identify where it’s coming from and get it fixed – in all your spare time:)

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 10:06 am

Yes Reine, all in my spare time, haha. At least it dried out quick once the sun came out, still debating on what exactly to do about the window, there are a couple options. Glad I’m heading to LHC after this, I can get Larry’s expert opinion. 🙂

3. Rachel on December 3, 2015 at 5:47 am

I feel for ya! But it looks like it’s mostly gravel there, right? Be grateful for that! When we were in Slidell, LA this past April, the RV park was a swampy, muddy lake the entire time… And full of red ants that floated on top the water. Yikes! Good luck girl. We are headed for Dallas in the next few days and the forecast doesn’t look too bad.

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 10:05 am

Yeah Rachel, the campground is a gravel parking lot with trees poking up through it. Not as pretty as grass but more practical in heavy rain for sure. Dallas is sunny today with no rain in the forecast so you should have a better time of it.

Yuck, fire ants. I haven’t seen any here but I’ve been bit(stung?) by them at most campgrounds I’ve stayed at in the south. Not fun.

4. Ruth on December 3, 2015 at 12:19 am

Good thing Cas is fiberglass at least he’ll float, just in case. Cannot wait to hear about your solar gear. Try to stay warm and dry

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 10:02 am

Thanks Ruth, new post about that is going up soon!

5. pamelab on December 2, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Becky – So sorry to hear of your leaking window and wet corner of your bed. What a pain in the … But, you have something fun to look forward to – your solar equipment :0) I look forward to hearing all about it.
    I am SW of Houston and it’s been gray, gray, gray here with some rain. Thank goodness we know that weather can and will change.
    Best of luck and stay warm.
    Pamela

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 10:01 am

At least a leak in a Casita doesn’t lead to permanent damage, no wood in the walls to rot.

Yesterday and today have been sunny which I’ve much appreciated, hopefully it’s sunny down there now too. Take care!

6. Laurel on December 2, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Oh, that looks AWFUL! Time to build an ark! Have fun with your new solar goodies — we just outfitted our Arctic Fox with all LED lights and a Mr. Buddy propane heater. Put it all to good use in our travels down 395 through the Sierra Nevada’s in October. We traveled for several years in a 17-foot Casita and loved it. 🙂

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 9:59 am

At least it’s over now Laurel.

Ooo, the Sierras in October. I bet that would be pretty. Good to know you stayed warm and I hope you had a good time!

7. Jerry Minchey on December 2, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I just arrived in Cedar Key, FL this afternoon. It’s 81 degrees and sunny. It’s going to get all the way down to 62 tonight.

The cold weather is the reason I left the NC mountains for the winter. I plan to wander around Florida this winter and then head back to the mountains in the spring.

Let us know how your solar toys work out.

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 9:57 am

Oh, fun Jerry! Cedar Key is on my list of places to camp at someday. I want to arrive in the spring or fall when the water is the clearest and go snorkeling and learn to scuba dive. Have fun!

The next post is going to be about my new toys. One is being installed as we speak…

8. Phil on December 2, 2015 at 11:05 am

Um? Maybe some pontoon outriggers for Cassie?

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 9:50 am

Haha, I wonder how well a Casita would float…. probably not too well, they’re not exactly air tight.

9. Ed@Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets on December 2, 2015 at 11:02 am

Yep, when I heard the “severe” weather forecast for north Texas last week, I mentioned to my wife “Becky’s in for a lot of rain”. And I remembered your earlier description regarding the park you were in, and how it had gone under water. Well, soon your servitude will be ending and you can head to drier warmer climes…with a few shekels in your pocket. 🙂

Be safe.
    Ed@Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets recently posted..ThanksgivingMy Profile

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 9:46 am

Shekels, that’s a new one Ed. 🙂

I’m so glad that it’s sunny this weekend. Now forecasters are saying it’ll be cooler than usual in Arizona too, but it’s not suppose to be as wet at Texas so at least I’ll miss out on that. We’ll see what happens. Thanks for thinking of me.

10. claire on December 2, 2015 at 10:39 am

becky, i had to get out of north texas sunday, am now at matagorda bay nature park for matagorda madness casita rally. chilly and sprinkling here somewhat, but nothing like what we were getting in lake dallas/lewisville.
    they’re saying this will be a very wet/cold winter due to el nino, so i don’t think we’re over it yet. just hang on and thank goodness we have casitas, all the comforts of home inside, if the windows don’t leak! stay safe and warm, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 9:44 am

Thanks Claire. I hope you enjoyed the rally even if it was a bit wet and damp. I’ll be going to my very first fiberglass egg rally at Quartzsite in February.

One good thing about a leak in a Casita vs. other RVs, besides the bedding, all that got wet was the carpet on the walls. There’s no wood to hold moisture so it dried out quick and left no lasting damage since there’s nothing to rot.

11. Ernesto Quintero on December 2, 2015 at 10:00 am

Becky, maybe it’s time for some waterproof hiking boots? Yuck, 35 degrees and rain! My body hates that bone chilling combination, it’s one of the reasons I’m in central Florida after 36 winters in the northeast. Be safe, be warm, . . . be dry. 😉

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 9:41 am

Wouldn’t that be something Ernesto, going to Amazon in hiking boots, haha.

Thanks, it has dried out considerably, the river flood warning is over and I think I can get to Decatur to do my grocery shopping today! Really happy about that.

Enjoy your mild Florida winter, I think you deserve it after 36 years.

12. Jodee Gravel on December 2, 2015 at 9:45 am

That is one sad looking little trailer right there 🙁 As much as we need the rain in SoCal I’m very glad we’re not experiencing rain like that – yet (El Nino is still in the wings). Hope your sunny days last a while, and all your new toys are great fun!!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Friends, Family, Fun and Food – and Some More of That Responsible StuffMy Profile

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 9:39 am

Bright and sunny yesterday and today Jodee! I’m happy for that.

A couple I worked with at Yellowstone last summer are from Lodi California and they say the drought there is bad, the valley is drying up. I hope you get your rain, and yeah I hope when it arrives it’s not all at once. 😉

13. Elizabeth Perilloux on December 2, 2015 at 8:50 am

If I didn’t know better I would swear you are in a Louisiana swamp. In the past 4 weeks we had 12 inches of rain, followed by 6 inches followed by 4 inches, and again followed by 4 inches – all within approximately 1 week of each episode. AND, it is raining again this morning. I am not camping but my yard here at home is like a sponge. I hope this ends soon for you and you can get back on your weekend excursions.

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 9:26 am

It sure feels that way sometimes Elizabeth.

Wow, yeah that’s something. Hopefully your home is on high ground!

14. Terri on December 2, 2015 at 5:58 am

Wow…and some people still insist climate change is not a real thing….right……. all of that so sucks, Becky. We’ve had colder than normal temps for this time of year in Utah, as well.

Can’t wait to hear about all the new stuff you have coming for the Casita! Poor Cas, he was probably looking around thinking to himself, I need an oar! 🙂
    Terri recently posted..Zion National Park’s Pa’Rus TrailMy Profile

• Phil on December 2, 2015 at 11:15 am

The fact is that those “some” people deny that mans actions are causing the earth to warm up an uninhabitable level. Climate change is happening and has always happened.Temperatures have always increased then decreased then increased again based on solar activity.
      Read John Muir’s book on his travels in Alaska. There he found receding glaciers that exposed tree stumps that were over 200 years old before being covered by the glacier. His opinion was that we should not be concerned about melting glaciers because when the do melt they leave behind mineral rich soil from which new forests would grow and thrive. The book is a very good read.

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 9:35 am

At my NPS training day last spring for Yellowstone, part of the 8 hours was a lecture on climate change and it was really interesting. The climate does change naturally, but man’s actions have sped it up so it’s happening at a faster rate than ever before. Scientists are predicting that unless we can decrease CO2 emissions significantly, not only will it be faster but it’ll be a more severe shift than ever before too.

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 9:20 am

He probably was Terri!

I hope you and the fur kids are riding out the cold weather all right, cabin fever can get pretty bad in an RV, small as they are.

Today’s post is going to be about my new purchases, working on it right now. 🙂

15. Kelsey on December 2, 2015 at 4:52 am

O no! Hope you dry up soon. It finally stopped raining here in Campbellsville and thankfully wasn’t that chilly. Enjoy your dry weekend!

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 9:15 am

Glad yours was a warmer rain Kelsey. I’d take 30 degrees and snowing over 40 degrees and raining, the dampness makes it more miserable in my opinion. Thanks!

16. Frank on December 1, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Only in Texas! Floods in spring. No rain for almost 12 weeks, then flooding again. At least it was above freezing.

• Becky on December 4, 2015 at 9:11 am