Photo: Home Free

photo-goodbye-boyd

My days at Boyd RV are numbered. And that number is less than two.

Today was my last day of work, woohoo! I’ve had a good season at Amazon here in Haslet, TX but I’m definitely ready to move on and try boondocking out in the desert this winter for the very first time.

But first, some housekeeping. I’ll be in Boyd RV Park until the morning of the 24th cleaning and getting my ducks in a row for a long trip, there’s always more that I want to get done than I have time. The next you hear from me I’ll be at a state park not too far away where I plan to relax and recuperate a little after these 50+ hour workweeks. Does anyone who’s familiar with the Dallas/Fort Worth area what to guess what state park? I’ll give you a hint, it’s one I haven’t been to yet. EDIT: Brian guessed correctly in the comments below with Lake Tawakoni!

Tomorrow will be busy, onwards and upwards!

Thank you for doing your usual Amazon shopping using my affiliate link.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Photo: What’s Yours?

November 19, 2014 | 27

Photo: Downtown Decatur

November 18, 2015 | 26

Went with coworkers to eat at Xchan Thai House in downtown Decatur, TX after work yesterday and grabbed this photo of the courthouse as the sun was setting. I’ve put in 53 hours this week, although the 5th day was voluntary instead of mandatory this time. I’m continuing to grab as much overtime as I…

Photo: Out Early

December 19, 2014 | 18

Last night at Amazon, we got about three hours of work in before running out of stuff to do. The managers called all us campers down to the standup area, and while they couldn’t legally tell us to “go home”, they strongly suggested it. So after confirming that we still got our bonus if we…

1. Wayne on August 8, 2016 at 10:53 am

I am not sure weather or not you will get this reply as it is so late…….I am a newbie to your blog……I looked everywhere I could think of and still have not been able to find what kind of camera you are using for you posting pics?????????
    More questions to come I am sure!!

• Becky on August 9, 2016 at 9:01 pm

The “Useful Stuff” tab at the top of my blog is a good place to go for info Wayne, the particular post you’re looking for is this one: https://interstellarorchard.com/2015/01/27/a-brief-introduction-to-travel-photography/

In short, my only camera was an iPhone 4S from July 2012 until July 13, 2016, when I upgraded to my new iPhone SE. No special apps, but I do use photo editing software which you can read more about in that linked post.

2. Sherry on December 25, 2015 at 7:25 am

Very clever to have folks guess so that you can get lots of other ideas. I don’t know Texas at all so I have to pass. Glad you found Amazon doable. I don’t know how so many folks manage 50+ hours but if it keeps you on the road then it’s for sure worth it. Merry Christmas! I love boondocking, bet you will too.

• Becky on December 28, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Yeah Sherry, and I may have reason to put that new knowledge to good use yet before Arizona… but more on that later.

I hope you had a good Christmas as well, happy new year. 🙂

3. Terri on December 25, 2015 at 6:37 am

Btw, Becky, check out my latest blog post because you might just see yourself there. 🙂
    Terri recently posted..(re)discovering myselfMy Profile

• Becky on December 28, 2015 at 3:32 pm

One good thing about buying something online Terri, no waiting lines, hehe. 🙂 Thank you for the support and when I’m far enough along with it I’ll be releasing more information. I did have a good Christmas.

I really get your “need to discover yourself”, that need drives a lot of what I do as well. A very well written and thought-provoking post and thanks for linking that video.

4. Terri on December 25, 2015 at 6:36 am

Becky, I’m so glad to hear you are writing another book. I love your writing style and it looks like I may have to push (gently, of course) some of your other readers out of the way to be one of the first to buy it. 🙂

And thanks for the info on Amazon, and don’t worry I won’t quote you. I’m part of the facebook group so I will check there too. Have a great and safe Christmas.
    Terri recently posted..(re)discovering myselfMy Profile

5. Ed Brownfield on December 24, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Merry Christmas Becky, I love reading your blog you are wise beyond your years! I am glad to year that your are going to write a book. You write beautifully so I am sure that your book will have good advice and be easy to read. Put me down for one of the first copies. Enjoy Quartzite, my wife and I spend most of the winter in Phoenix we love the sun during the day and the stars at night!

• Becky on December 24, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Merry Christmas Ed! Thank you for reading IO and I’m glad you’ve found it enjoyable.

I’ve actually already written one book, “Solo Full-time RVing On A Budget” https://interstellarorchard.com/solo-budget-rving-guide/ and this will be my second. 🙂 My first is specifically for wannabe full-timers and I know not all of my blog readers fall into that category so I’m working on something a little different this time.

I’m looking forward to the desert, especially with this bad storm coming for Texas this weekend. Might be challenging to get to Arizona but it’ll be worth it.

6. Kay on December 24, 2015 at 8:47 am

Do you ever go home to visit your family during the thanksgiving or Christmas holidays?

7. Sandy Wetzel on December 23, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Grapevine? Coppel? Eagle Mountain?

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Brian above guessed correctly with Lake Tawakoni, but all of these responses are giving me a lot of other places to try next time I visit the area so thanks for sharing Sandy. 🙂

8. Brian and Carolyn on December 23, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Hi Becky,

Congrats on your Amazon stint here in Texas! Sounds like it went very well for you.
    If you’re headed West towards Q, I bet the next Texas State Park for you would be San Angelo SP. If you can make it further south to South Llano River SP in Junction we highly recommend it.

Safe travels and Merry Christmas to you.

Brian and Carolyn

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Yes it did Brian and Carolyn. I enjoyed my time here but I’m definitely feeling the urge to travel.

A previous commenter guessed correctly with Lake Tawakoni, I have that appointment at Little House Customs to get to first on the 28th and it’s east of Dallas so I found a park out that way.

Merry Christmas!

9. Kelsey on December 23, 2015 at 11:51 am

Are you going to boondock in quartzite? If so we might run into you! Enjoy your time to yourself deserve it after amazon!

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Yes I will be Kelsey, if you see me give a shout. 🙂

10. Pamela b on December 23, 2015 at 11:31 am

Hi, Becky –
    Go for you! You have completed your Amazon stint!
    I am looking forward to seeing your blog on the boondocking life.
    Happy trails and merry Christmas.
    Pam

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Thanks Pamela! It feels good to have finished it and that extra jingle in my pocket will be nice for boondocking this winter.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

11. Jodee Gravel on December 23, 2015 at 10:02 am

No idea where you might be landing but anxious to see how you like it as we may be in the area in February. Glad another successful work season is behind you. Happy Holidays.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Views of Mexico for Lunch, Another Friend-Stop, and Plan D is a Success!My Profile

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Thanks Jodee! Brian guessed correct and I’ll be writing more about Lake Tawakoni in a couple days.

12. Dawn from Camano Island on December 23, 2015 at 9:07 am

Not at all familiar with Texas or their parks (hope to remedy that one of these days). But dang! Seems to me that you just set up at the park in Boyd & now you’re leaving! We just settled into our sweet little campsite from last year here at Tyson Wash LTVA–it’s so great to be in the desert again! Ari (our dog) just stood there with the wind blowing in her face & nose going 60 mph while I stood next to her eagerly awaiting the sunrise.

Happy trails–maybe our paths will cross this winter.

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:22 pm

That would be neat Dawn! Yeah, after all of the rain and humidity here in Texas it’ll be nice to see the desert again, the 60 mph winds I’m a little less thrilled about but from what I’ve heard those sunrises and sunsets are worth it. 🙂

13. Brian on December 23, 2015 at 6:32 am

I’ll guess Lake Tawakoni State Park. Have a wonderful Christmas and safe travels.

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:20 pm

You got it Brian, congratulations! It’s the closest park to Little House Customs, which is east of Dallas. I think it’s being to the east that threw most people off as I will be heading west soon, but I have that appointment on the 28th to take care of first.

14. Ernesto Quintero on December 23, 2015 at 6:27 am

Oh NO! It looks like someone painted an aluminum Airstream! 😉 Just kidding, happy holidays Becky. Be safe.

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Haha, I’m not that senseless Ernesto 😉 Thanks and you as well.

15. Terri on December 23, 2015 at 6:13 am

Congrats, Becky, on another hard working season at Amazon being done!! 🙂 Btw, do you think one area of the Haslet workforce gets more overtime than the other? I ask because if they are going to be open again next year, I’m going to apply to work at Haslet. And I’m cool with working all the extra hours I can get, and banking what I can during that time. Like you, I’m not afraid of hard work.

I’m so happy for you you will now get to try out QZ. Can’t wait to hear what you think of boondocking!

Enjoy your well-earned rest (and btw, I got a call for an interview with Yellowstone, I’m super excited!)
    Terri recently posted..My Next RVMy Profile

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Earlier in the season Inbound gets more overtime, later in the season Outbound gets more overtime. The department you get put in depends on when you apply, whichever area is busiest is usually where campers get assigned. If you start early and get put in Inbound there will probably be the opportunity to move to Outbound when their peak starts.

Thanks, and congrats on the call-back! Yellowstone is an amazing place, you’d enjoy it. 🙂

• Terri on December 23, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Thanks! I will definitely want to start early with them and then switch. I will also be applying early too, probably as early as they announce they are starting up their process. I hope they keep Haslet in the mix for next year as it seems to be their warmest location.
        Terri recently posted..My Next RVMy Profile

• Becky on December 24, 2015 at 10:45 pm

I can confirm that Haslet is a location for next year, and I think they’re planning to open applications on January 15th but don’t quote me on that. 🙂

16. Danny on December 23, 2015 at 5:48 am

Oh you are moving to Murry state park
    Dan

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Good guess Danny but that isn’t it either. 🙂

17. Danny on December 23, 2015 at 5:47 am

You are not moving on Christmas are you?
    Just wanted to let how much I enjoy your blog.

Merry Christmas

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Christmas Eve Danny. I’ll be stationary on the 25th then leave the state park on the 26th.

Merry Christmas to you too and thanks for reading. 🙂

18. Twiddledees on December 22, 2015 at 9:45 pm

You’re heading west and it not far away so my guess is Possum Kingdom. With a name like that you just gotta stop. It really is a great park.

• Angela on December 23, 2015 at 7:26 am

This was my guess as well.

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Wow, that is an interesting name Twiddledees. That’s not it, but now you’ve given me another park to look into next time I’m in the area. 🙂

19. Suzanne on December 22, 2015 at 9:22 pm

I hope it is Dinosaur Valley in Glen Rose, one of my favorites. If so, be sure to visit the Loco Coyote Grill for some great Texas BBQ (odd hours, so check before visiting.)
    Suzanne recently posted..The Brighter Side of Lake HavasuMy Profile

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Looked into that one Suzanne but the tracks are under water right now with all the flooding. It’s on my list for next time I visit the area. 🙂

20. OpenSpaceMan on December 22, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Becky_

Enjoy your time off.

I finally quit my job yesterday and beginning the next stage of mobile living. It will be quite an adjustment going totally off grid.

I’m heading from WI to AZ the day after Xmas. I plan on taking a similar path as you. A few months off and then taking a job in a national/state park.

I’ve been on the hampster wheel for so long…I can’t wait to decompress.

• Becky on December 23, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Awesome OpenSpace! Congrats and best of luck to you. 🙂

The weather is looking to get pretty nasty after Christmas here in Texas, I’m hoping to avoid the snow and temperatures in the teens and I hope your drive down is nicer.

21. Ken Howitt on December 22, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Cedar hill?

• Becky on December 22, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Nope Ken, but thanks for guessing. 🙂

22. Kathy on December 22, 2015 at 7:29 pm

We surely do enjoy your casita adventures & have been following you for a long while! We live in Greenwood in Wise County so are very close by! Our favorite state parks to camp in this area are Mineral Wells & Lake Ray Roberts so those are our guesses! Enjoy your upcoming down time & Merry Christmas! Kathy & Tim

• Becky on December 22, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Thanks for commenting Kathy!

I’ve been to Mineral Wells twice and it is a beautiful place. I’d like to camp there sometime as my previous visits were day trips, although neither that one nor Lake Ray Roberts is correct. Good guesses though!

23. Dawn in MI on December 22, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Congratulations on a successful work period. Now you get to enjoy a well deserved break. Can’t wait to read all about it!

• Becky on December 22, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Thanks Dawn, phew! Looking forward to some R&R for sure. Hopefully the weather will cooperate, the temperature is looking like a roller coaster here over the next several days.

24. Jerry Minchey on December 22, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Now you will have time this winter to work on your book. Writing a book takes uninterrupted time.

Merry Christmas (a little early)

• Becky on December 22, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Yep Jerry, it’s high on my list. 🙂

Thanks! Same to you, although I hope to put a post up on Christmas day.