Xscapers Convergence

The second gathering on my whirlwind tour of Quartzsite happens to be just down the road from the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, the drive over with Bertha and Cas was only about ten minutes. I’m going to the Xscapers convergence.

Drone photo of the first Xscapers site, courtesy of Mike Fischer

Drone photo of the first Xscapers site, courtesy of Mike Fischer

Readers may have noticed in the right-hand column of IO, near the bottom, an icon that says “Xscapers Featured Blogger”. For those not in the know, Xscapers is an extension of the Escapees RV club that is aimed at working-age RVers. Membership in one gives you access to the other, they’re essentially the same thing, but the “Xscapers” name came about as a way to rebrand for a younger crowd. The group was created by Travis and Melanie Carr, the third generation of the Escapees founders, and it was launched in spring of last year.

Fun fact: Mead is easy to brew and takes little space. This batch was started at the Albuquerque convergence by a full-timer with the intention of opening it up here. Good stuff!

Besides offering the typical club benefits of magazine, camping discounts at parks, an active community, and access to mail forwarding and residency, the Xscapers website hosts a treasure trove of information on RVing, has a job board for RVers, and works with several bloggers (myself included) to provide content to a younger (and young at heart) crowd.

The first Xscapers convergence was at the Albuquerque balloon festival last October, and since I was working at Amazon I missed out. But not this time!

For the sake of simplicity, this year the convergence was held at the same site as the Escapees gathering. The Escapees had their happy hour on on the 13th and 14th, and the Xscapers’ event was officially the 15th and 16th.

To accommodate the need for it’s members to get work done during the day, seminars didn’t start until later in the afternoon, and the campfire socials started well after dark at 6:30. As with the RTR, I had a lot of fun and got to meet people in person whom I’d only known online before.

I'm in there...

I’m in there…

Saturday’s seminar on RV refrigeration was especially timely given my current fridge woes. No, the fridge is not fixed yet. I decided to come out to Quartzsite and attend these gatherings first, so I’m still living out of a cooler until I can catch a break between them, but I did get to speak to the man who gave the seminar and get his advice and input on my problem. Late this week or early next week I should be heading into Phoenix and getting the fridge problem solved. In the meantime, living out of a cooler is not as big of a hassle as one might think. I’ve minimized the food I carry that needs refrigeration and the fact that it’s winter means I don’t need to buy ice as often.

The Boondocking seminar on Friday

The Boondocking seminar on Friday, photo courtesy of Christie Scott

Note above where I said the convergence was officially the 15th and 16th. Travis and Melanie needed to leave on the 17th, but several of us weren’t ready to let the party die. We were however ready to leave the ‘parking lot’ location right along I10 and get away from the noise and crowds.

We relocated to the west of Quartzsite in the Dome Rock area, in a cul-de-sac that dead ends in a wash. Plenty of room for multiple rigs, no one else around, neat hiking opportunities, and beautiful views of the mountains.

The new Xscapers site near Dome Rock. I'm the white speck at the far end

The new Xscapers site near Dome Rock. I’m the white speck at the far end. Photo courtesy of Mike Fischer

Last night Cherie and Chris of Technomadia hosted an outdoor movie night with their projector. It was sort of like going to the drive in, but without the vehicles. About twenty of us set up our camp chairs in a semi-circle around their bus and bundled up for the cold to watch The Martian. I’d read the book last summer and the movie was equally engrossing. We all joked about the parallels between surviving on Mars and boondocking, and Cherie wrote an interesting blog post about it.

The projector screen is on the side of their bus, how cool is that?

The projector screen is on the side of their bus, how cool is that?

Tomorrow I intend to to visit the Big Tent in Quartzsite (hopefully the crowds will be down from their weekend high), and for the rest of today? Hiking and relaxing. Just another day in paradise.

Ahh, now this is more like it

Ahh, now this is more like it

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Amazon Season and One Year Nomadiversary

September 13, 2013 | 41

It’s getting to be that time of year again. This past weekend the heat wave finally broke in the Badlands and while highs are still in the upper 70’s and low 80’s, the air definitely holds the feel of early fall now. With the change in season has come an influx in e-mails asking about…

An Idea for Choosing the Right Size RV

June 30, 2017 | 17

One of the most important questions you’ll ask yourself early on when shopping for an RV, before you even get to brand or floorplan, is what size is right for you – and it’s not an easy question to answer. Touring an RV on a dealer’s lot for ten minutes is not the same as…

What to Expect at an Xscapers Convergence (Thoughts on Tribes)

August 29, 2018 | 4

Ahh, another Xscapers convergence down in the books, this one in Redmond, OR. For newer readers, Xscapers is a lifestyle group of Escapees RV Club, a long-running club whose mission is to serve all RVers. The Xscapers branch was originally targeted towards working-aged full-timers. To be more inclusive, today it’s billed as being a more…

1. Sue B on January 30, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Found your blog through technomadia.. .. Great read so far …. Looks like I will be busy reading for a while … Lovely aerial shots .. Looks beautiful and peaceful !!

• Becky on January 31, 2016 at 8:35 am

It was a great spot Sue. Loved Dome Rock and will enjoy being back there for the Fiberglass rally next month. Glad you’re finding IO enjoyable, thanks for reading!

2. pamelab on January 22, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Hi, Becky –
    So happy you are having such a nice time boondocking and meeting folks and enjoying the scenery.
    Like the drone photos. I hear Martha Stewart has drone that surveys her property so she and all her helpers can check on the animals and gardens, etc. Quite a useful tool.
    Happy Trails.
    Pamela in Houston

• Becky on January 23, 2016 at 9:19 am

Yeah Pamela, they’re really neat! Maybe some day when I’m rich I’ll invest in one. πŸ˜‰

3. mike on January 22, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Becky did you get a recipe for the mead?

• Becky on January 23, 2016 at 9:18 am

Yes but I already forgot it Mike, haha. I could ask and get it again if I wanted but I drink so seldom that it’s not worth it for me.

4. Jim@HiTek on January 22, 2016 at 9:31 am

Really enjoyed this post, Becky. So many great aerial pictures. I have got to get me one of those drone ‘copters with the camera.
    Jim@HiTek recently posted..Enjoying San Felipe…My Profile

• Becky on January 22, 2016 at 10:32 am

I’m thinking the same thing Jim, imagine the fantastic photos I could get of Cas with one of those! They’re out of my price range for now though, maybe someday. πŸ™‚ Glad you enjoyed this post.

5. Dawn from Camano Island on January 22, 2016 at 7:19 am

I so admire those of you who choose to live life outside the norm. What a great group of folks–so glad you were able to be there with everyone! it’s so energizing to share time with like-minded people. Have fun visiting the Camper-force folks. They should pay you big bucks to star in a promotional video for them!

Have a great day, Becky! When you’re done with the frig think about coming down here to Gunsight Wash south of Ajo. Just the antidote for bustling Q!

• Becky on January 22, 2016 at 10:30 am

Yes Dawn, visiting RTR and now Xscapers was just what I needed after those long hard hours at Amazon. Thanks for the offer, I’ve heard that’s a nice area down there. You have a good day too!

6. Ernesto Quintero on January 22, 2016 at 7:16 am

“I’m the white speck at the far end.” – – – No your not, you’re the person that convinced me to move out of stick-n-brick into small class c. You’re the person that gave me the courage to finally make the decision and look forward to a major life change. You’re the person that reminds me of of I used to do, hiking, birding, taking images of nature, dam you growing introverted personality, so I ‘m coming out of my shell do to you. So I don’t think you’re a “white speck”. Be safe and enjoy your adventure and post about it.

• Shelly, Durham, NC on January 22, 2016 at 9:17 am

What a very nice thing to say, Ernesto. Your comment made my heart happy. So glad you are on a wonderful path.

Shelly, Durham, nc

• Becky on January 22, 2016 at 10:27 am

Congrats on making the change Ernesto! I wish you many happy years on the open road. Thanks for your kind words and I’m glad my blog helped you find courage. πŸ™‚

7. Joan on January 20, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Becky,

So glad you are enjoying boondocking and QS! The big tent was quite overwhelming but I think you got it covered with your comment about a state fair…for RV’s ! =) Could not make it this year, but plan to get there again next year. Just had some good friends get married there yesterday, former Casita owners, but now own an Escape. Always enjoy your posts and observations. Continued safe travels~~~Joan

• Becky on January 22, 2016 at 10:22 am

It certainly was an experience Joan! Not really my scene but it was worth it to go once.

Sorry you couldn’t make it this year but it’s always good to be able to visit friends when needed. Maybe I’ll see you next year. πŸ˜‰

8. Jodee Gravel on January 20, 2016 at 9:35 am

So sorry I missed you at the boondocking talk! We were there with Tessa, met Cherie for a quick hug, and then had to be somewhere else. Glad the group was able to stay together at Dome Rock, enjoy the rest of your Q time :-))
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Quartzsite Starts Off With a Bang!!My Profile

• Becky on January 20, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Yeah Jodee that was a shame. I’m sure our paths will cross someday. πŸ™‚

9. Dawn on January 20, 2016 at 5:16 am

Looks like a blast!

• Becky on January 20, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Yes Dawn!

10. Shelly on January 20, 2016 at 3:18 am

Great post Becky, thanks for sharing. I so enjoy following along on your adventures.

• Becky on January 20, 2016 at 2:43 pm

You’re welcome Shelly, thanks for reading.

11. Gary on January 19, 2016 at 6:54 pm

I’m jealous, would really like to travel there. Loved the aerial shots. They gave a new perspective to the group. I’ve been looking at Dome Rock area for boondocking myself.
    Gary recently posted..Savannah Battle – History MuseumMy Profile

• Becky on January 20, 2016 at 2:43 pm

It’s a pretty area Gary, I bet you’ll enjoy it. Hopefully you can come experience it for yourself before much longer.

12. Ron on January 19, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Love your campsite. Great post.

• Becky on January 20, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Ron.

13. Rob on January 19, 2016 at 6:02 pm

I’m sorry I missed getting to meet you at the RTR, I came over once but I that was the day you were out walking. Someother time I’m sure!

Enjoy the groups.

• Becky on January 20, 2016 at 2:40 pm

I’m sure the opportunity will arise again. Thanks Rob.

14. Linda Sand on January 19, 2016 at 5:33 pm

You’ll find that having sub groups move further out of the central area after gathering in Q to be a common occurrence. It gives us more time to actually develop and reaffirm relationships. Those sub groups also tend to spread out a bit more so those of us who are introverts can have some time to recharge without our neighbors being quite so close.

• Becky on January 20, 2016 at 2:39 pm

A practice I’m heartily approving of Linda!

15. Jerry Minchey on January 19, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Becky, I found you in the group picture with your maroon sweater and a big smile. I like the last picture showing Cas out in the desert alone. How peaceful and you get?

• Becky on January 20, 2016 at 2:38 pm

This is a beautiful area Jerry, enjoying it here…