RV Views, 2015

Here it is, the annual review of places I camped in 2015 – as seen from the Casita. The majority of these photos were taken from the inside looking out or barring that, from as close to Cas as possible. There’s been so much to write about this year that it’s a bit late, but better late than never, right? I hope you enjoy this trip down memory lane as much as I did putting it together, I stayed at a lot of neat places in 2015. For “home” views from previous years, click here.

I rang in the new year in Los Angeles with my best friend Julie who took a six month sabbatical from her career to travel with me in the RV. We moochdocked in her Aunt’s driveway (no pictures to preserve her privacy) then started heading east.

Julie's cat Chance waiting for breakfast at Joshua Tree National Park, CA on 1/8. We were at Indian Cove campground, can see the rock formations through the window.

Julie’s cat Chance waiting for breakfast at Joshua Tree National Park, CA on 1/8. We were at Indian Cove campground, can see the rock formations through the window.

A trash can with a view - Blue Mesa

Blue Mesa at Petrified Forest National Park, AZ. Slept just outside the park the night of 1/10 where it rained hard, we were lucky it didn’t snow given the time of year and elevation, there was some snow on the ground.

Sunrise over Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, TX on 3/28, where Julie and I volunteered the first three months of the year.

Sunrise over Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, TX on 3/28, this is where Julie and I volunteered the first three months of the year. Not normally up for sunrise, took this photo from bed out the back window.

A wet stay at Bennett Spring State Park, MO on 4/3. Missed the tornadoes but the spring was so flooded we couldn't get to many of the trails and the campfire petered out quick due to soggy wood.

A wet stay at Bennett Spring State Park, MO on 4/3. Missed the tornadoes but the spring was so flooded we couldn’t get to many of the trails and the campfire that night petered out quick due to soggy wood.

Lunch in St. Louis, MO visiting the City Museum on 4/6. It's like a playground for all ages.

Lunch in St. Louis, MO visiting the City Museum on 4/6. It’s like a playground for all ages.

Okay, so this is a view from my childhood home. Parked Cas in my parent's driveway for a visit and this black bear came up to look for food on 4/13.

This is a view from my childhood home in WI. Dropped Julie back off at her home then parked Cas in my parent’s driveway for a visit and this black bear came up to the house looking for food on 4/13.

Dreary view from a truck stop in ND on 5/6, on the way to Yellowstone.

A truck stop in ND on 5/6, on the way to Yellowstone. May look dreary, but as somewhere I’d never been before it was still exciting. 🙂

A sunset at my site in Yellowstone National Park, WY on 8/21. Too many trees to see much but when the wind blew they whispered and it was great.

Sunset at my employee site in Yellowstone National Park, WY on 8/21. Too many trees to see much but when the wind blew they whispered and it was great. I work-camped here from May to the end of September.

caprock-canyons-state-park-tx-19

My last afternoon at Caprock Canyons State Park, TX on 10/5. Beautiful place, not crowded, free range bison.

Lake Mineral Wells State Park, TX on a very hot and muggy day, 10/10. That woods sure is inviting though.

A very pink sunrise viewed from bed last Friday.

Another sunrise seen from bed on 12/10. This one is at Boyd RV Park in TX, where I stayed while working at Amazon from October to December.

Lake Tawakoni State Park, TX on Christmas Eve. This wasn't suppose to be a waterfront site but TX had a record breaking year for rain.

Lake Tawakoni State Park, TX on Christmas Eve. This wasn’t suppose to be a waterfront site but TX had a record breaking year for rain, the lake was flooding the forest.

That wood furnace in the lower righthand corner helps a lot to dry Cas out

A rare “aerial” shot of Cas taken at Little House Customs in Yantis, TX on 12/29. Spent the night at the shop to get some work done before heading out to Arizona for the next adventure!

Related Posts

Forget about what the world tells you your life should be like. At IO I teach people how to ditch the status quo and go full-time RVing before retirement. Included at no additional charge: seizing your dreams, living boldly, and making a difference.

1. Dave on February 23, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Becky,
    That was the summary list I was looking for. What you would consider as the minimum and beyond that is stuff my wife and I could do without.
    Thanks!

• Becky on February 23, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Unfortunately Dave it’s really so personal that I can’t say. I suppose I could come up with a list of everything I carry, but it would take me hours of work to do so and I just don’t have the time for that if I’m not being compensated with the book to finish.

I’m thinking of adding “consulting sessions” feature or something like that on IO, where I can do extended research or a phone conversation for people who want to pick my brain with indepth questions like this that I can’t just write a quick reply to.

• Dave on February 23, 2016 at 7:10 pm

I am trying to be a reformed bumble who always saved everything just because I just might need it someday. And without a house, I can’t save everything So your answer is what I was looking for. I can see now that the size of the truck box helps to narrow down the amount of stuff. So it looks like more trips to goodwill. Yeah – me!

• Becky on February 24, 2016 at 1:48 pm

It does feel good to get rid of stuff Dave doesn’t it? Funny how it kind of ends up owning you instead of you owning it. 🙂 Good luck with the downsizing!

• Dave on February 24, 2016 at 5:20 pm

It feels great getting rid of stuff and my to do list also shrinks!

2. […] is an annual review that will give you an idea of how living on the road can […]

3. Dave on February 21, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Becky,
    For those in the process of downsizing ( from 17500 lbs of stuff to a pickup and a trailer ), I was wondering what do you carry in your truck? My fear is that I will try to keep too much. Just wondering what the properly equipped full time folks carry that does not find a home in your Casita.

• Reine in Plano on February 22, 2016 at 10:56 am

Dave, I’m not Becky and I don’t full time but I do know some good questions to ask about what to keep. First, how often do you use it (that’s really USE it not just think you might)? Second, how easy/expensive is it to replace if needed? Third, do I have something else that I plan to keep that I can use instead? When RVing whether full timing or not, everything needs to serve multiple purposes. I have a “miss it twice” rule that’s saved us a lot of money and clutter over the years. We don’t purchase anything for our Casita until NOT having it has negatively impacted our camping experience at least twice. And we’ve come to understand OUR camping style. What may be essential for some folks may not be necessary for us and stuff we wouldn’t be without might be useless for others. The final suggestion is to understand and accept that you won’t get it exactly right the first time. I can promise you that you’ll get rid of something and wish you had it back and there will be something else that you’ll keep and never use. Just chuckle and enjoy the journey.

• Becky on February 23, 2016 at 11:01 am

Reine pretty much has it Dave. You won’t find a comprehensive list anywhere because no two people will agree on what’s best. It’s very individualized and you’ll learn as you go. Most people do take more than they need and end up culling stuff long after they hit the road. I try to keep my gear as minimal as I can and didn’t buy any RV specific gear until after I moved into it and knew what I personally needed.

In my truck I keep my 6′ ladder, hitching paraphernalia, leveling blocks and wheel chocks, two tupperware with clothing for the season I’m not currently in and occasional use clothes, my water/sewer hoses when not in use, camp chairs, 2 lawn and garden shepherds crooks to hang a clothes line between, my portable heaters when not in use, RV cleaning supplies, and other odds and ends.

4. Rhonda on February 20, 2016 at 7:30 pm

What a nice reflection of where you’ve traveled and what you’ve accomplished the past year of your life, Becky. I remember commenting on the post you made from the Missouri state park…doggone! Can’t believe it’s been nearly a year since then! My, how time flies. I admire you for passing your life time in a way that suits your wandering spirit…so many others deny themselves of that endeavor only to live with regret later in life. I love reading of your travels and I wish you a wonderful year with your journey ahead. Rhonda, in Tennessee…

• Becky on February 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Glad you enjoyed this Rhonda and yeah, time sure does fly. 🙂

Yes, I’m saddened by the number of people I know who have dreams but never try to achieve them, that’s actually what my next book is about in a nutshell. Life is meant to be enjoyed. Take care!

5. Angela on February 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Hi Becky, I’ve been following your blog for a little while now and you do a fantastic job. I look forward to your new posts every week. I got the full time bug about a year ago and have been doing lots of research online, magazines, books, etc. I can’t wait to make the switch. I have a full time job and 2 kids ages 19 and 16 so I have to wait til they’re done with school. I’m in the middle of a divorce also so have to get that finalized.
    I’ve realized that if I continue at my job and am living on my own I’ll have to supplement my income just to pay the basic bills, so…why not cut my expenses drastically, work on the road when and where I want to? Like you, I’m somewhat of an introvert but will enjoy meeting rv people.
    Just a suggestion, you might want to delete the video you have on youtube of your new SD driver’s license. Could be a big identity theft issue. That’s how I found out your bday. I’m a George Washington baby too! So Happy Birthday on Monday. I’ll be 51 tho. Aaauuugh.

• Becky on February 21, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Hello Angela, glad you decided to come out of the woodwork and comment.

It can be frustrating to want to hit the road and know it’s not going to be an option for years yet, but at least knowing this early means you’ll have plenty of time to consider different types of RVs and get your ducks in a row. I think you’re smart to start researching now. In the meantime, I hope you can find time to take weekend trips and enjoy travel on a more limited basis.

Best of luck to you, I’ve found work-camping to be an enjoyable life and I hope you enjoy it too. I’m glad you’ve found my blog helpful and hope you continue to participate in the community here. Thanks for the concern of my privacy but I’m keeping them up, happy birthday!

6. Jodee Gravel on February 20, 2016 at 8:37 am

Love these looks back through your little window :-). That is a beautiful bear!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Weather Extremes and Unique Natural Wonders in Roswell, NMMy Profile

• Becky on February 20, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Glad you enjoyed this tour Jodee! Yes he’s handsome but he’ll pull down the bird feeders and damage them if my parents forget to bring them in in the evening. After this photo was taking he did take one of the ones on the line down, as high up as they are. Luckily he only comes in spring and fall.

7. John Hussey on February 20, 2016 at 6:06 am

Interesting metal fire ring pit behind your parents house. Jut what I need for the home I am renovating. Thanks for the idea. I have been buying a bunch of stuff through your Amazon portal. Hope it helps you.

• Becky on February 20, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Every purchase helps John, thank you very much for the support!

Yes, my dad came up with that idea long ago and it’s held up well to the test of time. We did have a fire out there one night I was visiting, not on a night the bear was there of course. 😉

8. Kim on February 19, 2016 at 6:46 pm

A unique look back. Very nice to reflect, isn’t it?

• Becky on February 20, 2016 at 12:50 pm

It sure is. You recent post about Hilton Head got me thinking of that area, was a fun place to live for a few years. Sorry the weather wasn’t more cooperative though!

9. pamelab on February 19, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Hi, Becky – Enjoyed the review. The aerial view of Cas is a special one. I noticed how white your plastic parts are staying. Some folks complain they turn yellow. Don’t remember if you have spray painted yours yet? Stay dry and toasty. Happy Trails. Always enjoy your blog and learning something new and seeing some lovely and interesting photos. Thank you.
    Pamelab in Houston

• Becky on February 20, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Good eye Pamela, you’re correct. The vents for the tanks and the range have been spray painted white, not only to keep the color looking good but to reduce UV damage so that they don’t get brittle and crumble, as my last set of tank vents did. The Maxx Air cover over the Fantastic Fan has not been spray painted, but it’s high quality and made of good material so it’s withstood the UV and aging process very well, they cost more than other brands but the longevity is worth it.

Thanks and I’m glad you enjoyed this post!

Have practical RVing advice and inspirational travel stories sent straight to your inbox.

Your email is safe with me and you can unsubscribe anytime.