On My Own

on-my-own-1February 26, Friday

It’s getting hot! Bertha’s thermometer showed 90 degrees the other day when I ran into town for chores. Several people have already left the BLM area here at Ehrenberg, AZ for cooler climes, and others will be pulling out within the next day or two.

It’s time to move on. Evening walks are getting to be a problem. I’m having to start later and later in the day and can’t go far before running out of sunlight. Today I opt to take a morning walk instead.

My feet carry me to the three wrecked RVs near the entrance to the BLM area. When walking around one, an old Pace Arrow, I spot a yellowed paper tucked in among the garbage.

The title page says “Homeless in the Desert”, and I wonder if this newspaper was applicable to the former occupants of this class A. There are belongings scattered about too. A woman’s pink sneaker, a Christmas ornament, a VCR tape of “Call of the Wild”. Wherever these people are now, I hope they’re safe and happy.

on-my-own-2

February 27, Saturday

Last night a large group of RVers moved in with ATVs and Jeeps. They played loud music until after midnight with fireworks for accompaniment. Although I could see them from my camp, they were far enough away that it wasn’t horrible.

Today I see the sign sitting out in front of their camp: “Ironwood State Prison Desert Run”. There doesn’t seem to be any running going on, but they do race their ATVs for a good part of the day. Luckily the wind is such that the dust they kick up is being blown away from me.

Tomorrow I’ll be leaving, so today is for getting ready. In the morning I haul my laundry into town, shower, and hop on the free WiFi at the laundromat to research tomorrow’s route and camping options.

In the afternoon, the heat forces me out of Cas to my patio where I watch the wispy clouds drift on by. I should be writing, but I can’t concentrate when it’s that warm and I can’t write outside because it’s too bright. I should have gotten a laptop with a matte screen instead of a shiny one. Even then, not sure how well it’d work outside. The weekend warriors are to the south, so in the shade on the northern side of Cas I still have an unimpeded view.

on-my-own-3

When hitching up in the evening, I discover a scorpion underneath the wood block my tongue jack is resting on. This is the first one of these I’ve seen all winter! It’s small and matches the sand. I get a picture, and gently nudge it out of the way so I can finish getting ready, as the sun sets I say goodbye to those still here.

on-my-own-4

February 28, Sunday

Today’s a big day! This’ll be my first time finding a boondocking spot all by myself. Yes I’m a little nervous, but I have several options based on yesterday’s research.

By 8:30 I’m on I10 heading east. Quartzsite has emptied dramatically, only a couple RVs are visible on Dome Rock Road. I suppose they all wanted to avoid the heat too. Knowing what to look for, I spot Saddle Mountain from a distance, but I drive past the turnoff for there too.

Brush in bloom along the road

Brush in bloom along the road

My route happens to take me past a Walmart, and that’s too good of an opportunity to pass up. I pull off in Buckeye to stock up on groceries, then continue heading east.

obligatory Phoenix downtown shot

obligatory Phoenix downtown shot

Right into Phoenix. It being Sunday morning, the traffic is reasonably light, which is what I was hoping for. No congestion, no accidents, it’s smooth sailing. I think the major arteries going through Phoenix are in about the best condition I’ve seen of the major cities I’ve driven through. I can drive 60 mph while towing and not have to dodge potholes and roughness, it makes the city driving experience so much better.

Somewhere in there, I exit off of I10 and onto Highway 60. It starts out as an eight lane freeway, but becomes smaller after being spat out the east side of Phoenix. The contrast between the desert here and at Ehrenberg is hard to overstate. Grass grows in abundance, creosote bushes are now in the minority with a lot more palo verde and other trees growing rampant, not just in the washes. Prickly pear cactus are a common sight and cholla grow taller than I do. Over all of them tower the saguaros, larger and more numerous here than farther east. It’s hard to believe less than 200 miles separate the two.

Past the last signs of development, the speed limit drops to 45 mph, cones block off a lane of traffic and a patrol car flashes it’s lights. It’s not construction, nor is it an accident. It’s the renaissance festival.

This is why I chose to come here. I worked at the Georgia Renaissance Festival near Atlanta in the spring of 2014 as a performer, and made a lot of friends there. Many people who work festivals travel from one to the next in a circuit that follows the seasons, the Arizona Renaissance Festival runs from Feb. 6 to March 27thΒ and I know several people here. I’m planning to attend next weekend, and my goal was to find a boondocking spot within a reasonable distance.

How fortuitous that Tonto National Forest is so close by. Hwy 60 starts climbing, and the Tonto NF sign welcomes me to slightly cooler temperatures. Not by a lot, only a couple degrees, that’s going to be the difference between the 80’s and the 90’s, so I’ll take it.

on-my-own-7

My first choice for making camp is not listed on freecampsites.net. I learned of it from another blogger who explored the area, they didn’t stay there but saw there were a few sites. Less than a mile west from Boyce Thompson Arboretum on 60 is a turnoff on the north side of the highway for forest road 357. The highway is under major construction here with the west bound side completely blocked off, I’m worried 357 will be closed too, but no, a corridor is maintained to allow traffic through.

I turn onto it and cross a cow grate in a dip. It’s not a big enough dip to be a problem for my rig, but it might not be suitable for larger RVs. An opinion that seems more and more true the more I see. Right after the cow grate is a large parking area, several vehicles are parked here with ATV trailers. It still being the weekend, there is a fair amount of ATV traffic.

The parking are on FR 357 just off of 60

Standing on the western spur looking toward the parking area

Two spur roads come off of that parking area, paralleling the highway, and here is where I’m told the dispersed camping spots are. I park Bertha and Cas near the entrance and walk down both spurs. Because of the construction, some of them are blocked off, but down the spur heading east I find a little area with 4-5 camping spots. The national forest rules state that dispersed camping has to happen in established spots, you can’t make a new one. There are fire rings here, so I know they’re legit.

The turnoff from the spur road into the camping area

The turnoff from the spur road into the camping area

Nobody else is camping here. I eye all the heavy machinery parked on the highway. The road noise isn’t too bad, but there’s the potential that when that equipment gets going tomorrow that this won’t be a fun place to be. I’ll stay here tonight, but I won’t unhitch in case it’s loud. I’ll also need to call the nearest ranger station in the morning and see if I need something called a Tonto Pass to camp here. The FS website was a bit vague on what areas did and didn’t need one.

Picketpost Mountain, visible from the camping area

Picketpost Mountain, visible from the camping area

I choose the site farthest back from the spur road for the sake of privacy. I need two of my Lynx leveling blocks to make the trailer level side to side, but luckily it’s level front to back without unhitching. None of the sites here are very level, one of them could possibly fit a larger rig but I think it might not be possible to level it.

on-my-own-11

Birds sing, butterflies flutter past, and small purple flowers grow in the grass. It’s beautiful here, everything is so amazingly green. I guess it really is spring after all. And it’s free! I’m going to count this first experiment in finding my own boondocking spot as a win. Assuming all goes well in the morning, I’m going to enjoy my week exploring the area.

What a contrast!

What a contrast!

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

California Delta

April 29, 2016 | 32

ReallyΒ I had no idea what to expect when I got here, I just selected it for the convenient distance from where the visit was going to take place. As it turns out, it’s a pretty cool and unique place. I’m staying at Park Delta Bay, right across the “street” from the San Joaquin River. Street…

Dancing Alone

January 15, 2018 | 38

Dec 29, Friday Saddle Mountain BLM near Tonopah, AZ continues to treat me well. Despite the crowds that flock to southern AZ during the winter to escape the cold, this boondocking area remains relatively empty. It helps that it’s a large area, with multiple spur roads. The one I’m on is just west of mile…

Travelogue Catch Up

September 19, 2019 | 17

After finishing three awesome weeks in Yellowstone National Park, Julie and I start the drive east to Wisconsin. But there are several stops along the way. We spend two days in Grand Tetons NP, where the spiffy new IO header photo comes from! (If you’re reading this through e-mail and haven’t seen it yet, it’s…

1. Joe Aro on March 4, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I enjoy your writing style very much. Thanks for sharing adventures with us. I’m envious and think of my time on the road many years ago. Now I look forward to getting out again later this year. Be well and keep sharing with us.
    Joe Aro recently posted..THE 12 HOTTEST TOOLS FOR CONTENT PROMOTIONMy Profile

• Becky on March 4, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Glad you enjoyed this Joe, I hope you enjoy yourself when you get back on the road, it is a pretty special life. πŸ™‚

2. joe calonge on March 2, 2016 at 10:27 pm

keep up the good pic and all becky u are doing a good job love reading everything that u do.
    hope i will be on the road soon .

• Becky on March 3, 2016 at 6:18 pm

I’ll cross my fingers for you joe. πŸ™‚

3. Jeff Agueda on March 2, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Hello Becky.
    Just reading your blog and we are nearly neighbors. I am camped on the south side of I-60 near Picketpost Mtn. I rode my Mtn bike north yesterday on the AZT possible near where you are. I biked to the ghost town of Reymert today, it may be worth your time to see. I am willing to tour guide. I hope to go hike Picketpost Mtn in the next day or two if you want a hiking partner. And if you need help with anything feel free to ask. Have a nice time.
    Jeff
    Jeff Agueda recently posted..Last Day at Palm CanyonMy Profile

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Fun Jeff! I’m pretty busy with the book right now and only have two days before the festival so it’s not looking like I’ll have time for a big hike, but I appreciate the offer. Isn’t this a beautiful area? The AZT does run quite close to my site but not within viewing distance, it’s a pretty short walk though. Enjoy!

• Jeff Agueda on March 3, 2016 at 7:15 am

Yes this is a beautiful area, there is actually some green grass growing! I am not used to the traffic noise though after camping in near complete silence the past two months. I am a bit too close to the Interstate and there are cattle in my area with calves and there has been a little too much night time bawling going on. The cows, not me πŸ™‚
        I appreciate your response. I hope you have a fun time!
        Jeff

• Becky on March 3, 2016 at 6:14 pm

I’ve seen signs of cattle at my area but none have come through since I arrived. The highway is a bit noisy, especially with everyone going over the rumble strips with the construction.

4. Sheila Hagadone on March 2, 2016 at 3:36 pm

CONGRATULATIONS on your FIRST “wild camping”! (I wonder where I got THAT term from…lol). I am looking forward to wild camping out where I can see stars at night. I probably won’t want to go home! My husband & I are going to live in our Toy Hauler when he retires in two years. (Until then, we need the house for a tax deduction). Can’t wait till we are free of it all. You are a very smart, intelligent woman! I wish l thought of that when I was young. ENJOY!!! I know you are!

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 8:49 pm

I certainly am enjoying it Sheila! The stars are beautiful out here and I hope you and your husband enjoy the heck out of them in two years when you’re free. And the sunrises and sunsets, wow.

5. Blaize Sun on March 2, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Congrats on your first finding-it-on-your-own boondocking!

You mentioned “The national forest rules state that dispersed camping has to happen in established spots, you can’t make a new one.” Is that the rules for all national forest dispersed camping, or just in the Tonto National Forest?

Can’t wait for your next adventure.

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 8:47 pm

I’ve heard that’s the rule for all of them Blaize, but I am not (yet) an expert.

Thanks!

• Blaize Sun on March 3, 2016 at 6:20 am

Thanks for the info, Becky. I worked in a National Forest last summer and did not hear about this rule. I’ll look into it further.I need to know the answer for my own personal use and so I have correct information for visitors to the forest.

• Becky on March 3, 2016 at 6:20 pm

You’re welcome!

• Blaize Sun on March 3, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I’ve been researching the rule that “dispersed camping has to happen in established spots, you can’t make a new one.”

I took this to mean that if I pull up into a spot where no one has ever camped before, tough luck, no camping.

But as I’m researching, it looks like this rule might differ according to the National Forest one is in.

The Fishlake National Forest website (http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/fishlake/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5121831) says, “If you are going to an area where others have camped before, pick a site that has been used before. Plants, soil and wildlife are impacted by new campsites so using existing ones will minimize your impact in the forest. If there is no existing campsite, then follow these Leave No Trace guidelines.”

This means to me that if a camper finds a spot where she wants to camp AND there is already an obvious campsite there, you SHOULD camp in the spot that has been camped in before. BUT if there is no obvious campsite, one can still camp there.

It also says, “You may camp in a dispersed area for up to 16 days. After 16 days, you must move at least 5 road miles for camping in another dispersed area. Campers may not return to the same campsite within the calendar year.” That differs from what I was always told by other campers about how long one could camp in a National Forest and how far one had to move

The Coconino National Forest website (http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/home/?cid=stelprdb5313448) has this to say, “When dispersed camping (or “car camping”) on the National Forest, refer to the designated camping corridors shown on the Motor Vehicle Use Map. In these designated corridors, visitors may drive their vehicles up to 300 feet from the road to car camp (here’s a sample of what those designated areas look like on the map). Also, visitors may park alongside any designated road’s edge and walk to their campsite anywhere on National Forest System lands, except where specifically prohibited as indicated in closure orders. When parking along a designated road, drivers must pull off the travelled portion of the roadway to permit the safe passage of traffic. These rules only affect motor vehicle use. Forest visitors can always hike to campsites at farther distances from the roads.”

I could find nothing on that website about camping where someone has already camped.

And I was not able to find anything that showed the rules for all National Forests or National Forests in general.

If you find anything definitive, please let me know.
            Blaize Sun recently posted..The Salt RoomMy Profile

• Becky on March 3, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Interesting Blaize, too bad there is no cut and dry answer but it’s good to know that some forests it is okay to make new sites. If anyone else reading has any information in this issues, please do share!

6. Becky on March 2, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Good job Becky! How I love reading your adventures while I impatiently wait for June 1st ( the day we set out and start our full time RV living)! You found a pretty spot! Bet your glad to leave some of the dust behind!
    You know, I tell many of the young people I work with about you! How you are out there living your life and doing things your own way! You are such an inspiration!!
    Enjoy your stay!

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Only a couple more months to go, you must be very excited! I hope the transition goes smoothly and that you enjoy yourselves thoroughly. πŸ™‚

So glad to hear that my blog has inspired you, and thanks for spreading the word! Safe travels and happy trails, the road awaits…

7. Jodee Gravel on March 2, 2016 at 10:33 am

I love that green desert – and so much to see and do in the area. If you need a hookup site while you’re still around, the regional parks are amazing – Ursury and McDowell have wonderful views, clean bath houses, and large, private sites. Enjoy your friends at the Ren Faire!!!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Scuba Divers and Shiny Models in Eastern New MexicoMy Profile

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Thanks Jodee! Yes everyone I talk to around here recommends the regional parks, it sounds like they’re really well maintained.

8. Ed@Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets on March 2, 2016 at 10:15 am

Well, you’re officially a boondocker at this point. When we had ice cream with you in Quartzite, that was the best time to be there weather-wise. Although we totally enjoyed it, like you we headed east, eventually landing at Lost Dutchman State Park just east of Apache Junction, not too far from where you are now. We absolutely LOVE the Sonoran Desert and Saguaros. But only before warm weather invades. It will soon be time for you to head north, up on the Mogollon Rim and beyond. Lots of boondocking there as well. Use Campendium. Be safe. πŸ™‚

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 8:32 pm

I’m loving the Sonoran Desert too Ed, such an interesting ecosystem. It’s looking like there will be a cooldown next week and possibly some rain, so we might not have to leave it just yet. Thanks and safe travels to you too.

• Ed@Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets on March 4, 2016 at 11:22 am

Just received our copy of Escapees magazine. There’s a great article in this issue about work-camping, particularly in National Parks. The article is written by a renowned expert and world-class author…”Becky” something. πŸ™‚

• Becky on March 4, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Yeah Ed! I was working on that article my last month at Amazon, was hard with the long work days, haha.

9. Deborah on March 2, 2016 at 10:12 am

I can’t wait until next year when we’re in AZ! πŸ™‚ Great post, although the scorpions are going to be not so great. I have a question for you — How do you ensure that your cat is safe during the day? We don’t have an air conditioner on our RV (we will get one if necessary). Any tips or tricks or insight? (If you posted about this previously, sorry I will read the post if you direct me to it!)

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Yes Deborah, there is so much to see in AZ, it’s a pretty fantastic place to winter. πŸ™‚ Remember at least this was the only scorpion I’ve seen in the almost two months I’ve been out here, so I doubt you’ll have a problem.

Are you asking about boondocking with a cat or just RVing in general? If the weather is tolerable for a person, it’s tolerable for a pet. Out here boondocking I leave all the windows and the door (I have a screen door) open and while it gets warm inside it’s never at a level that would be dangerous. Now, in the summer it has gotten hot enough where I needed to run the A/C all day to keep the cat comfortable, opening windows wasn’t going to make enough difference. It all depends on the climate of the areas you’re going to be camping in if an A/C will be required or not. Note that I don’t travel with a cat all the time, only when my best friend Julie travels with me as the cat is hers. I did write a post about traveling with a cat, which you might have seen already: https://interstellarorchard.com/2012/06/04/cats-in-a-small-rv/

Hope this helps.

10. Rhonda on March 2, 2016 at 8:10 am

What a great post, Becky! I have to say that your tease of the next couple of posts about the Renaissance festival (I hope!) has me tingling with joy! Everyone who dreams of a way “out” of their current stationary life, when digging deeper into the “why”, has a desire that trumps all others. When I think of escape I think of making a trail to various festivals which happen in all states. The liveliness, the fun, the colors and energetic happenings! Interspaced, of course, with quiet times in the woods of state parks. Thanks for taking us home folks along on your own journey of fun. πŸ™‚

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Rhonda! Yes my spring working at a renaissance festival was a pretty fantastic one, I’ll never forget the people and the memories. Singing at a ren fest had been an item on my bucket list for years and going RVing finally gave me the chance to achieve it. My next post will be going up on Friday, the day before the festival, but I’ll be writing about it in a future post for sure. πŸ™‚

11. LarryL on March 2, 2016 at 8:09 am

I should have stated, I’m not staying in my RV it’s just parked there at this time. If you happened to be there, it’s just you.

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Thanks for the offer Larry, I drove on 60 almost to Globe yesterday, it was a fun drive. I’m going to be heading back west after the festival this weekend so I won’t be out there again but I really appreciate the thought. I hope the repairs on your toy hauler go well!

12. LarryL on March 2, 2016 at 7:58 am

Becky, if you ever continue East on 60 to Show Low, there’s a safe spot on an empty lot Behrind my 86 yr old Mothers home. It has sewer and access to water. Mornings are still pretty cool so elec cord could be run for small heater. I have my 26′ Toy Hauler there now, I put a second sewer hook up there for when my sister comes with her 18′ trl. I will be taking mine to Camping World in Mess next week for needed repairs. When I can, I will be hitting the road. It’s safe and free. Larry

13. Monte Stevens on March 2, 2016 at 7:29 am

That looks like a great campsite and I think a good area. My parents live in Gold Canyon so you drove by their home. They and most of people in the area decompression frustrated with the increased traffic from the Renaissance Festival. Enjoy your new location!

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Neat Monte, yes it does seem like a good area with pretty scenery and a lot to do. I certainly will enjoy, thanks!

14. Jim@HiTek on March 2, 2016 at 6:56 am

Hey, we’re neighbors. I’m here in Mesa here at a RV park for old timers like myself enjoying the electric, which provides AC. Trying to get my ’94 Fleetwood diesel pusher sold while appreciating the vastness of my newer Winnebago (two slides – luxury!).

Years ago, when I was a once-in-awhile boondocker, it didn’t take long to discover there are many, many hidden boondocking sites scattered all over the West not mentioned by the FS or Corps of Engineers. (Not so many on the Eastern seaboard though). I found the best way to find them was to talk to my boondocking neighbors to see if they knew of any along my route. Quartzsite gatherings were great for that. Seemed to work out well as a way to find those hidden spots.

Anyway, the days might get a little hottish around here at present, but the mornings, evenings, and nighttime are cool enough for me. Looks like there’s going to be rain and cooler weather here next week (March 6th). Hope you have a great time at Tonto, don’t get stuck in the mud when the rains come!
    Jim@HiTek recently posted..Flea Market Visit…My Profile

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Nice Jim. πŸ™‚ I hope the sale of your Fleetwood goes well and you get your asking price.

Yes, I never would have known this place was here if I hadn’t heard about it from someone else. In a way, finding good boondock spots is like a treasure hunt, I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

It’s been in the low to mid 80’s up here at Picketpost Mountain, elevation really helps. I’ve been eyeing that rain in the forecast and I think I’ll want to be out of Tonto when it arrives. Luckily I was planning to leave after the festival anyway so the timing should be good.

15. MIke on March 2, 2016 at 6:41 am

Thanks for the detailed update. Still in the high 20’s and 50’s here in Eastern Nevada.

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 7:51 pm

A bit cold for me Mike, but I hope you’re enjoying it! You’re welcome, thanks for reading.

16. MB from VA on March 2, 2016 at 5:36 am

It must be a great feeling…..to spend the night in the first boondock that you found all on your own. I can’t wait for my first night. Right now, I am scheduled to leave around November 15. If I can figure a way sooner, I’ll be out of here. πŸ™‚ I love VA. It is home. But I have had the good fortune to see 48 states and there are some where I want to spend extended periods of time. I have a computer job now that should support me if I’m careful. So, here I go. I have always wanted to travel. And, like you….knew that the marriage/kids life was not for me. Though I have great respect for those who live those lives well. I even love kids. I taught K for over 20 years. But you could send those kids home at the end of the day. πŸ˜‰ Thank you for taking the time to write a blog for the us “gonna do it soon”ers. I follow you and one blog written by a retired woman. Both very good and both appreciated. Have a great day out there! MB from VA (for now)

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 7:44 pm

So happy to hear that you’re finding my blog helpful and inspirational MB! I hope your transition to RVing goes smoothly and that your job supports you. You’re absolutely correct about there being a lot out here to see and I doubt you’ll regret your decision to give it a shot. πŸ™‚

17. Terri on March 2, 2016 at 4:53 am

Congrats on finding your first boondocking spot all on your own – sounds like you picked a great spot! Now did you stop anywhere to fill up your water tanks, etc.?

You are brave, Becky. I know I live in an RV too but the way I’ve done it is more with the comforts of home, having the water, sewer and electric hook ups all the time. And I’m glad it worked out for you when that group pulled in – when I started reading your mention of them, I was worried. But it sounds like even they knew one of the unspoken rules of boondocking and that is to give some space between yourself and others, because not everyone likes to be on top of other people. I know RV Sue doesn’t like it at all, from the way her posts read.

Can’t wait to hear about more of this adventure and your time with the Renaissance folks!
    Terri recently posted..Let’s Catch Up, Shall We?My Profile

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Thanks Terri. Nope, I didn’t have to dump and take on water yet. I can go three weeks and I’d been at Ehrenberg just less than two. After the ren fest it’ll be time to do so, just as I head to the next destination. Yes, I did work the timing that way intentionally. πŸ™‚

I like to think I straddle a line between RVing and camping. I don’t have TV, daily showers, and unlimited power the way most RVers prefer, but I’m definitely a step up from tent camping. I like the balance I’ve found and it works for me, but I know it’s not for everyone. For starters, your pets pretty much require you to have AC when the weather gets this warm, I don’t have that constraint.

Yes, that group was loud, but not obnoxious. They came to the desert to have fun but they were considerate enough not to race their ATVs down the spur road us RTR folks were on.

18. Auntlordy on March 2, 2016 at 4:24 am

What a beautiful spot! Good for you πŸ™‚ Enjoy…

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 7:29 pm

I will!

19. John Hussey on March 2, 2016 at 4:14 am

Great post! I really enjoyed reading it and vicariously following along on your adventures. A few years ago I pulled my 16′ Casita to Quartzite for the Dome Rock gathering then wandered around the AZ state parks near the Mexican border and when it warmed, headed north towards the Grand Canyon. The higher you go the cooler the temps. At the canyon I camped for a week backed into the snow between drifts, and walked around marveling at the most beautiful views. Sadly, there was far to much snow to make the trek along the trail to the bottom, although I gave it a try. Don’t pass up the Grand Canyon!

• Becky on March 2, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Thanks for following along John!

Yes, the Grand Canyon is great! I went twice two summers ago when I was working in Zion NP, it was possible to hit the North Rim as a day trip from there.

I’ve heard from boondocking aficionados that Arizona is truly a state you can camp in year-round for free. Near Flagstaff there’s a lot of NF land at a high enough elevation to be comfortable in the summer, then when the weather cools you go south to the areas I’ve been camping in.

20. Jerry Minchey on March 1, 2016 at 3:57 pm

I love your new green area so much better than your previous brown area.

Liking things to be green is why I stay in the east instead of the west. I get to see the west by looking at your pictures. This way I get the best of both worlds. Thanks for posting all of the beautiful pictures.

• Becky on March 1, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Glad you enjoyed this Jerry. There are so many varied ecosystems in America, it’s great how diverse our country is. πŸ™‚

21. John Bruce on March 1, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Never forget, most of the people you grew up with are taking their kids to school , going to work and then taking their kids to soccer or dance practice. And cleaning their rain gutters on the weekend! (All rhetorical, of course.)

• Becky on March 1, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Yeah John. I always knew that wasn’t the life for me but I respect that it is for some people. Except the gutter cleaning part, I don’t think anyone enjoys that. πŸ˜‰

22. Connie on March 1, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Looks like a great spot πŸ™‚ I’m getting set up to boondock too and I was excited to see you were doing the same. You’re several steps ahead of me but I enjoy reading about your adventures!

• Becky on March 1, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Thanks for reading Connie! I hope you like boondocking as much as I have, it’s been a blast.

23. Pamelab on March 1, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Yippee! Looks like a pretty spot, Becky. That’s a nice looking little mountain, too.
    I always enjoy your posts. Interesting photos and lots of good information.
    I hope you enjoy the new camp.
    Looks like I will have my casita in August and will be spending most of my time around Texas, at first. Hot, hot, hot! I’ll have to be plugged in for that time, then I’ll be heading to Michigan to visit good friends and on to Virginia for visits there. Yes, I am a bit nervous, but excited, too.
    Looking forward to your next post.
    Happy trails.
    Pamela in Houston – for now.

• Becky on March 1, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Yes, I’m enjoying it thoroughly! There’s a trail that goes to the top of that mountain, but it’s already too hot for me to want to attempt it, not when I have to conserve water.

Wow, that’s only five months away Pamela, not much longer now. πŸ™‚ Hope you stay cool in Texas, looks like you have a lot of fun stops ahead!