There’s No Forcing Art

Every now and then, I sit in front of the computer to write a blog post, and nothing comes.

you-can't-force-art-1

Sometimes pushing through the resistance works. Sometimes having patience and trying again later works. And sometimes, nothing does.

you-can't-force-art-2

I’ve always viewed blogging as an art form. You can’t force art. If you try, the final product lacks that spark that makes art worth creating.

you-can't-force-art-3

So I’m honoring the fact that today just isn’t a writing day, and posting some pictures of my last couple days at Sawtooth Canyon Campground without dialog because if I wait any longer it’ll be five days between updates and I don’t like doing that.

you-can't-force-art-4

My muse will be back soon, and I’ll explain what I’ve been up to. It’s been an emotional couple days (not in a bad way).

you-can't-force-art-5

Safe travels, happy trails, and hope you all had a good weekend.

you-can't-force-art-6

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

AAQ: Reading on the Road and Fantasy/Sci-fi Book List

November 16, 2016 | 32

While working at Amazon this holiday season, I’m running a weekly β€œAsk A Question” post since I’m not sightseeing much and have limited time to write. Have a question you’d like answered? Read more about AAQ here. Today Pshorten asks: β€œI’m an avid reader and would like to know what sort of books you read…

Taking A Break

May 6, 2016 | 38

The short of the matter is things didn’t work out with with the rescue dog. She’s a good dog, the problem was mine. I feel really awful about the whole situation, and I need a break from the internet for a while to heal. I won’t be responding to comments on this post and will…

Something Old, Something New

August 22, 2014 | 12

For today’s new blog post I present you with… a bunch of old blog posts! Okay, let me explain. It’s come to my attention that I have now been blogging for closing in on three years(!), and I regularly get e-mails and comments from newer members of the IO community asking questions I’ve addressed in…

1. Rosemary Rizzo on April 13, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Great photos as always. Makes me want to camp there.

• Becky on April 14, 2016 at 1:27 pm

It’s a gem of a place Rosemary. Hopefully you can make it out before it becomes a pay campground!

2. Beverly in CA on April 13, 2016 at 5:24 am

Let the camera do the talking. Love the pictures!

• Becky on April 13, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Beverly. πŸ™‚

3. Jodee Gravel on April 12, 2016 at 9:33 am

Great pics, love the craggy rock formations. Sometimes a little is a lot.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..A Little Bit of Prescott, AZMy Profile

• Becky on April 12, 2016 at 10:49 pm

That’s very true Jodee. πŸ™‚ Glad you liked these pictures.

4. Norm H. on April 12, 2016 at 6:42 am

An old adage says something about “a picture being worth a thousand words.” If so, you have shared quite a volume in this post. The pictures speak to my soul on many levels. Thank you.

• Becky on April 12, 2016 at 10:49 pm

You’re welcome Norm, glad you liked this. πŸ™‚

5. Jeff on April 11, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Becky – Great pics! Let your camera do the talking, it does an awesome job as you have an eye for framing a photo. I think the plant with the yellow flowers might be ‘Mormon Tea’. Do some research on it before you ‘put a pinch between your cheek and gum’ πŸ™‚

• Becky on April 11, 2016 at 9:27 pm

I believe you’re correct Jeff! Just from the appearance anyway, it’s a pretty distinctive looking plant and those flowers are so pretty. Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

6. Alan Belisle on April 11, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Hi Becky,
    Actually this is Marylu (Alan’s wife) replying. We both enjoy your travels and photos, wondering along our route if we’ll meet up with you someday, somewhere.

Yes, the writing muse gets derailed by some laid-back cycle that allows our visual side to take over for awhile. Which is okay with me. Since Alan does so much writing, I get to fill in a few blanks and add photos now and then.

Enjoy yourself and let the blessing be.
    Marylu
    Alan Belisle recently posted..Sun City West, Arizona 3/20/16 – 3/31/16My Profile

• Becky on April 11, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Hopefully someday Marylu. It seems that this must be a normal phenomenon since I’ve heard so much about it from other writers now. Interesting.

Thanks and take care!

7. Paula Frazee on April 11, 2016 at 11:39 am

Pictures are always good! And I use blogs to scout out future places to travel so they are really useful. Something I’m curious about might make a good blog – what your daily routine is like now that you’re not working. Although with the book added to the blog, you actually are still working. I’m curious about pictures inside the trailor and how you use it. Do you fix breakfast inside? Outside on the picnic table? I guess I’m curious how much you do inside the trailor vs outside in the campsite, and how the trailer functions now that you’ve been in it a while. I’m curious because we have vacationed in a conversion van for a long time – we take all the seats out except the front two and put a queen sized bed in. All we actually do in the van is sleep, and read in the front chairs before bed. Everything else happens outside, so I’m wondering how much you do outside vs. inside.

• Becky on April 11, 2016 at 9:01 pm

I’ve written about Cas (and have pictures of the inside) at https://interstellarorchard.com/2014/02/02/all-about-my-casita/, you can find that article and others about Casitas at the rig page too, https://interstellarorchard.com/the-rig/

I cook and eat inside, the dinette offers plenty of space for a single person to do that. I do read outside when the weather’s nice, I have a folding camp chair. If company comes to visit that happens outside because you can’t fit more than 2 comfortably inside.

8. Rob on April 11, 2016 at 7:11 am

I love the pictures…your awesome

• Becky on April 11, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Thanks Rob, glad you enjoyed them.

9. wayne thomas on April 11, 2016 at 5:55 am

First pic is definitely art!

• Becky on April 11, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Art created by nature, all I had to do was climb up to the hole and snap a picture looking through. πŸ™‚ That’s the ‘window’ at site 14, my favorite of the campsites… mostly because of that rock. Glad you liked it Wayne.

10. Sara Fernandez on April 11, 2016 at 5:38 am

Good morning,
    It’s 7:29 AM here in south Florida and I am always happy when I open my email and sitting there is one of your posts. For some reason,your post today touched me more than any other post. It is understandable and it is natural that you will have days when you are not inspired to write. You are a multidimensional being and you are a manifestation of an infinity of different energy at each NOW. You are . . . human. However, having written that, I will share that you are a bit different than most of your audience. You are almost always engaged and surrounded by nature. Perhaps you have become so accustomed to nature that you have forgotten who you were when you were a city dweller. You are entitled to “respond” to your environment and to think differently and feel differently at each now that you experience. Your photos are always lovely. Your written word always serves as an inspiration and YES you are absolutely entitled to have days when you are simply not inspired to write. Those are the perfect days to become the observer versus the communicator.

• Becky on April 11, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Good evening Sara,

What a thought provoking response. Glad you enjoyed this post and yes I did enjoy yesterday despite it not being a writing day. I got things accomplished in other areas of my life, and today was back to writing. There’s a time for everything.

11. Dawn in MI on April 11, 2016 at 5:26 am

Happens to every blogger. Your readers are patient, and we have no problem waiting until inspiration strikes. Love the rocks!

• Becky on April 11, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Glad you enjoyed the photos Dawn, thanks for reading. πŸ™‚

12. JimS on April 10, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Have you finalized your summer plans yet? You recently wrote about exploring the Sierras, but if you’re still looking for ideas I’d encourage you to continue on up into Oregon and visit the Columbia River Gorge. Lots of hiking, waterfalls, and lush forests. It’s the perfect contrast to the desert southwest.

The Gorge is also close enough to the coast where Astoria and beyond beckons. I’ve stayed at Fort Stevens State Park, which can be quite scenic. Across the river, sleepy little towns like Long Beach and Ocean Park lie next to generous driveable beaches and a gentle surf.

Ok, so Long Beach is a bit touristy, but during the week, any crowds are largely absent. And after touring California, I imagine you’ll welcome the peace and quiet. Of course from there, the rest of western Washington awaits your discovery.

PBS recently aired a program called “Heart of the World – Colorado’s National Parks”. Great survey of possible places for you to visit. Check RMPBS.org to see if it’s available to stream. If not, I’m happy to send you a copy.

Good travels

• Becky on April 11, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Nope I have not Jim. Well I know I’ll be going up the Sierras but I’m not sure which side yet. Because I’m meeting my family in Yellowstone at the beginning of August I won’t be doing Oregon or Washington this summer, but those two states have been on my list for years and when I do get up there I’ll enjoy them thoroughly. I’ll keep these ideas in mind for then. πŸ™‚

Colorado is possibly on the list for this summer, between Yellowstone and when I start back at Amazon. We’ll see how it goes. Thanks!

13. Wendy on April 10, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Marvelous pictures, Becky! Who says your Muse has left you? NEVER feel like you are chained to a blog post. Ugh! When I travel alone, I find myself composing both pictures and paragraphs to send back home. Sometimes it’s fun, but other times I realize I am losing my own experience because I am trying to share it with others.

• Becky on April 10, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Glad you liked them Wendy, this was a fantastic place to camp (especially for free!).

14. Misty on April 10, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Sometimes I think there must be some sort of spiritual ebb and flow. It seems like these malaises come in waves that crash on all of my ‘artistic’ friends at the same time. I’m in the same place right now.

I was looking through my records and I realized that March/April is almost always like this for me. I think it’s because I usually have a big surge of energy in Dec/Jan/Feb thanks to the New Year, and then I crash. πŸ˜›

Anyway, it’s normal for your artistic energy to ebb and flow. I think you’re being wise in making yourself do “something” but not trying to force what isn’t working.

Here’s to all of us getting our mojo back!

• Becky on April 10, 2016 at 9:38 pm

I agree with you that there seems to be an ebb and flow to it, but I’ve never recorded the phenomenon to see if there’s any pattern, that’s a good idea. πŸ™‚

Some of it’s coming from book pressure I’m pretty sure. I have the energy for the blog or for the book but finding enough for both is a challenge and I’ve been focusing more on the book lately since I want to get it out this month.

Yes, hopefully this will be a quick spell. I’ve got 20 more days to get this second guide out, whee!

• Sandy on April 11, 2016 at 5:05 am

Amen!

• Linda Sand on April 11, 2016 at 4:58 pm

I think there’s something to this “ebb and flow” idea. This is the third blog in the last few days that have basically said, “I have nothing to say right now.”

• Becky on April 11, 2016 at 8:35 pm

I have things to say, just not the creativity. Tomorrow or Wednesday I’ll catch you all up on my move to a new campground. πŸ™‚

15. Jay on April 10, 2016 at 9:04 pm

HI Becky,
    I really like the first picture, looks like you are enjoying the Spring in the desert and the extra rain this year has brought out the flowers. Take care and enjoy the Spring as it will be gone before you know it. Jay

• Becky on April 10, 2016 at 9:27 pm

That’s picture is looking through the window at site 14. If that site had been open the day I arrived I would have taken it in a heart beat because how can you not like that rock? πŸ™‚

Yep, I’m enjoying spring and the desert, thanks Jay.