The Waiting Game

A foggy morning at Mt. Madonna County Park, CA

A foggy morning at Mt. Madonna County Park, CA

As a full-time RVer, I have more leeway in where and how I spend my time. I can decide what part of the year I want to work, and what part I want to travel. I can more or less decide where I want to travel. I do have more freedom than the stationary person working a 9-5.

But there’s no exemption from life’s pitfalls. Sometimes repairs, weather, lack of internet, or other needs derail plans. Nomads don’t get a free pass.

Currently, I’m stuck waiting. It can be really frustrating, waiting on someone else when you have plans. We’re all so busy, our lives are so full that wasting time waiting can feel unbearable.

Sometimes there’s just no help for it. Sometimes, there’s nothing you can do to speed up the process, and the best choice is to accept the situation with grace and try to make the most of it. Get other things on your to-to list done while you’re waiting. Do something relaxing to take your mind off it.

Know that it’s just temporary. That in the grand scheme of things this is just one tiny blip that won’t even matter a month from now.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

The Long Game

September 3, 2014 | 47

“How long are you going to do this?” It’s another one of those questions I get asked frequently from both other RVers and stationary folks when discussing my lifestyle. The answer I eventually settled on is “Until I feel like doing something else more.” Which is the truth, but it’s the truth shortened down to…

Saying Yes! to Challenges

June 22, 2018 | 9

Going full-time RVing. It’s a scary goal, paved with a lot of hard work and uncertainty. Deciding what RV to buy (and then actually buying it), downsizing out of a house, getting the logistics of mail, banking, and insurance sorted, not to mention the question of how to earn a living on the road, it…

My Favorite Part of RVing

February 25, 2014 | 36

A question for all of you RVers and RVing hopefuls out there. What is (or do you think will be) your favorite thing about the lifestyle? This question is a bit tough for me to answer because there are so many things I like about RVing that it’s hard to narrow it down to one…

1. Sherry in MT on May 16, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Sometimes the universe just throws the “waiting game” at us to tell us to sloooooow down and pay attention to something that is going on. Might be emotional, might be physical, might not even be now. Deep breath and hang in there! (Yes I indeed know how hard it is to slow down – or sometimes just stop and let the world happen)!
    Sherry in MT recently posted..Camera Still Works!My Profile

• Becky on May 16, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I’m the kind of person that when I decide on something, I’m gung-ho and ready to get it done. Waiting has never been a strength of mine, but I’ve gotten better at it since I hit the road. Thanks and take care.

2. Theresa on May 15, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Hi Becky, I’ve been trying to full-time for 5 mths, but been having health problems, be greatful for your health.
    I bought a travel trailer and stuck in rv parks. I can’t wait to travel. Your an inspiration, keep it up!

• Becky on May 16, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Bah, yeah that kind of “waiting game” is the worst Theresa, sorry to hear about the health delays and I hope things turn around soon!

I’m glad that you’ve found IO helpful and inspiring, thanks for reading and take care.

3. Lori Guyant on May 14, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Hi Becky! Miss you already this season at YNP. I am enjoying your website immensely. It’s thoughtful and provocative. Entertains and makes me think. The entire south district staff has arrived but I’m at Grant and we won’t be open till the 27th! 😄 Wishing you all the best & will continue to lurk. I am toying with joining the ranks of the solos and will download your PDF if my Mac can figure it out!🤔…

• Becky on May 15, 2016 at 9:44 am

Heya Lori, it’s good to hear from you!

I’ll be visiting YNP early in August for a family reunion, hopefully I’ll get the chance to say hi in person then. 🙂 Thanks, and I hope the season is going well for you all so far, enjoy Grant.

If you have any questions about solo full-timing feel free to ask. If you do decide to get my guide and can’t get it to download onto your Mac I’ll just send you the PDF directly as an e-mail attachment, it always works for Apple users that way.

Take care!

4. Linda Sand on May 14, 2016 at 5:11 pm

For me, one nice thing about RVing is that wherever I am is the right place–for now. Plus, I read a lot so there is no such thing as nothing to do here while waiting.

• Becky on May 15, 2016 at 9:36 am

I’ve started reading a lot more since I hit the road, although I always did enjoy it. That’s a good attitude to have for RVing.

5. Yvonne on May 14, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Time to breathe deep and then relax, seeing the waiting time as a gift

• Becky on May 15, 2016 at 9:33 am

Exactly Yvonne, “accept the things we cannot change”, and all that. 🙂

6. Rick on May 14, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Nice post, after a day like today and much like Mothers day, I want to run away, but I made a promise and a promise made and not fulfilled is an unpaid debt!

• Becky on May 15, 2016 at 9:30 am

Glad you enjoyed this Rick, hope your day turned out better!

7. Alan Belisle on May 14, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Living on the road, we find we are more adaptable than we used to be. Things happen. We have successes and failures, clever plans and mistakes, nirvanas and dumps. And when things go sideways, we make what course corrections we can and move on. If we’re stuck in someplace, we’ll search for interesting, out of the ordinary, things to do to fill the time.

Try taking a look on TripAdvisor for “Things To Do”. Go to a thrift store, donate something, buy something to replace it. Find a flower garden and shoot a LOT of photos. Hike to the top of something. Rent a silly movie and make some popcorn to watch it with. Write something just for yourself. Go to a brewery and discuss what makes the perfect beer.

Hang in there.
    Alan Belisle recently posted..Eugene OR 4/30 – 5/7My Profile

• Becky on May 15, 2016 at 9:29 am

I think adaptability is a key skill for full-timers Alan, those are all good suggestions of things to do. 🙂

8. Christi on May 14, 2016 at 8:28 am

Thank you for the reminder! No matter where we are in our own “grand scheme of things” – sometimes things just aren’t moving quickly enough or working out to our liking. Instead of wasting time with frustration and negative feelings, you have reminded us to breath deeply and just absorb the moments for what they are. That is good advice for full time RVers, part time and wanna bes!!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

Christi

• Becky on May 14, 2016 at 11:56 am

Glad this helped Christi, thanks and take care!

9. Dawn in MI on May 14, 2016 at 6:09 am

Maybe a good time to clean. Or write. Or better yet nap!

• Becky on May 14, 2016 at 11:53 am

I do intend to clean, but after she’s gone. Dog hair and all that. 😉 Nap sounds like a good idea though…

• Dawn in MI on May 14, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Didn’t realize she was still with you. That’s hard.

10. gayle maria on May 14, 2016 at 2:14 am

If it’s any help, I don’t regard waiting as a waste of time because it brings me to the next step in my life. Waiting is, for me, like being stuck on a long airplane flight. You can’t do anything about it, so you have a license to do whatever you want! That, in itself, is a gift!

• Becky on May 14, 2016 at 11:51 am

That is a smart way of looking at it Gayle.

11. Kit on May 14, 2016 at 1:39 am

China Cove in Big Sur is my favorite beach. When I was a kid I would go out in the water to that little cave that’s got 1-2 feet of water in it, and the hillside is covered with callalillies. Or it was 20 years ago.

• Becky on May 14, 2016 at 11:50 am

Sounds pretty Kit! I’ll keep that in mind.

12. JimS on May 13, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Sorry to hear things didn’t work out with your four-legger, but you’re wise to discover it so early.

I know I made suggestions for day trips the last time you were in the area, but I can’t help but to share my enthusiasm for being in my old neck of the woods. Lots of places to visit that I’m sure are dog friendly. So forgive me if I repeat myself. 🙂

It’s been a long time since I’ve been there, but Santa Cruz use to be a nice little town. Just to the north is Natural Bridges. I remember it being kinda secluded and probably not too busy during the week.

To the south is Pacific Grove. There’s a conference center there called Asilomar that you could walk thru and access the beach. I think it’s part of the state park system now, so there may be a fee, but from there and points south onto Big Sur are some of the best scenery the north-central coast has to offer.

Best of luck on your summer travels!

• Becky on May 14, 2016 at 11:50 am

Her new foster home is in southern CA so I’m already working my way that direction Jim, but thanks for the suggestions and I’ll keep them in mind next time I come through. 🙂

13. Rhonda on May 13, 2016 at 7:45 pm

I’ll start: Exploring trails never traveled before…

• Becky on May 14, 2016 at 11:48 am

Nice one Rhonda!

14. Ron on May 13, 2016 at 7:19 pm

More time to explore and maybe work on some of your projects. Don’t get too frustrated.

• Becky on May 14, 2016 at 11:47 am

“This, too, shall pass.” 😉

Thanks Ron.

15. Biz Crate on May 13, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Yeah. Hurry up and wait. What are you gonna do?
    It gets all of us at one time or another – particularly when you’re stuck in one spot and rather be at another….
    How about a game while we’re waiting Becky?
    You’re good at that. Maybe the challenge is to describe the the allure of being a nomad in …5 words? …10 words?

• Becky on May 14, 2016 at 11:41 am

I’m not sure I could compress it into ten words Biz, haha. But thanks for thinking of me.

16. Wanda on May 13, 2016 at 3:31 pm

I’ve followed your blog for a few months. I really do admire you. My husband and I travel several months a year in our motorhome, but are not fulltime.

Waiting is always a hard thing to do. But it also shall pass, just like you have said. At least you are waiting in a beautiful location. We’ve stayed at Mt. Madonna County Park two or three times. It is a wonderful place. I hope the beauty there helps with your waiting and gives you some peace.

• Becky on May 14, 2016 at 11:23 am

Glad you’ve found my blog helpful and inspiring Wanda, thanks for reading.

I’ve actually been waiting at truck stops and Walmart parking lots as the price is right (free) but those don’t make for good photo opportunities so that picture was from the morning I left Mt. Madonna, haha. It was a beautiful spot and I’m glad I had the chance to see it.

17. Ruth on May 13, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Agreed! Back in December we had an expensive breakdown that would have ordinarily sent us into a tail spin. We took it in stride and realized we weren’t where we wanted to be at the time but we were where we were supposed to be! I could have gotten upset (as per my normal) but we realized later that it was what it was and we have made provisions for these things. Take care and enjoy the down time!

• Becky on May 14, 2016 at 11:16 am

Repairs are probably the biggest setback RVers have to deal with. Sorry to hear about it Ruth but glad it worked out and it sounds like you kept a great attitude. Safe travels and happy trails!