Fox Creek Trail

fox-creek-trail-id (1)After the fun hike in Sun Valley, ID, the weather cools down. On Sunday the 10th it storms, bringing hail and rain. Not a lot, but an on-and-off spattering of drops and plinking of pea-sized pellets that keeps me cooped up inside the Casita, reading. Even with all the windows closed to ward off the precipitation and chill, the sound of the Big Wood River running right by camp provides relaxing background noise. A few birds brave the weather, swooping over the water to collect insects.

It may be a dreary day, but it ends with a rainbow. There’s probably a good saying in there somewhere about looking for the positive in every negative situation.

The next morning, I awake to a dusting of snow on Easley Peak. It disappears quickly as the sun climbs higher in the sky.

fox-creek-trail-id (2)

July 12, Tuesday

Hiking day! I meet up with Nina at Fox Creek Trailhead, just a couple miles north of our last hike and still in the Sun Valley area. Today we’re hiking the Fox Creek Loop, which according to my map is suppose to be five miles, but Nina’s smartphone tracks it closer to six.

We go the opposite way of the bike traffic, starting out south along the creek, which is actually bigger than the river near my camp. The water coming down from the Sawtooth Mountains is clear and cold.

fox-creek-trail-id (3)

The western bank is often considerably higher than the eastern side, and the trail climbs accordingly, affording hikers a good view from above.

fox-creek-trail-id (4)

I was a bit worried that this hike was going to be essentially a repeat of the other, since they’re so close together. But the feel is actually quite different. There are a lot more trees in this part of the valley.

fox-creek-trail-id (5)

There are still some good open meadows though, and like Adams Gulch the wildflowers are abundant โ€“ patches of color hiding among the grass.

fox-creek-trail-id (6)

The vast majority of the flowers I can’t name. I know the ones pictured above are lupine, but this taller plant with pink flowers is a mystery.

fox-creek-trail-id (7)

Then there’s the tiny yellow flowers that grow in bunches on a stem, which carpet the foreground of this next photo (the peak behind is Bald Mountain, you can see the ski runs on it).

fox-creek-trail-id (8)

Here’s more small yellow flowers on a bush, next to which Nina stands triumphantly with our trail sign. She was the one who noticed the turnoff, a big accomplishment. It turns out neither of us are great at reading maps and following signs and it’s something of a wonder we’ve managed more or less to follow our intended route on both hikes. Go us!

fox-creek-trail-id (9)

Soon we’re climbing up a hillside away from the creek. This hike also has a fair bit of up and down to it, and like the last one is rated at moderately difficult which I’d agree with. The forest service does a good job with maintenance on the trails though, they’re in good shape.

fox-creek-trail-id (10)

After another wooded area, we’re spat out into a marshy depression. I wince in expectation of being swarmed by mosquitoes, but the attack doesn’t materialize. There are a few mosquitoes in the mountains, I’ve noticed them up at camp on occasion, but the bugs really haven’t been bad at all this year. It doesn’t seem like the west has as many biting bugs, perhaps due to the drier climate. Or maybe I’ve just been lucky. Before long we’re climbing again through wildflowers.

fox-creek-trail-id (11)

One last beautiful vista of the Sawtooth range, and the trail winds through conifers back down to the trailhead. Idaho is going to spoil me for hiking.

fox-creek-trail-id (12)

Later in the day, heavy clouds roll in from the west, dark and foreboding. But they pass overhead, dumping their loads farther east. I sit outside reading in my camp chair back at the RV, and catch this photo as the sun slides underneath them.

fox-creek-trail-id (13)

Up next: My new iPhone arrives and I test it on a sunrise photoshoot near Stanley with Nina, stay tuned!

Also, those who have subscribed to the IO e-mail list will notice they received a mail from me this evening (the 14th) about confirming their subscription information. Yes, this is legitimate and if you will want to act on the directions in that e-mail if you signed up in 2015 or earlier and want to continue receiving content from IO! The list has grown to the point where I now need to pay for it which is a great thing, I’m glad you’re all enjoying my posts.ย It just doesn’t make sense to pay to send e-mails to people who no longerย read them, hence asking you to update your preferences if you’re still interested. Thanks!

fox-creek-trail-id (14)

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

View from the Top

January 12, 2017 | 32

January 6, Friday Julie and I arrive at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument at about 10 am, we need to get some hiking done! Two days ago when we visited we ended up driving a long one-way road which was really pretty, but there was little time to hike. Many parks and monuments have this…

Quartzsite Part Two – Xscapers Convergence

January 27, 2017 | 20

On Tuesday the 17th I depart the RTR for another gathering taking place on the other side of town, the Xscapers Quartzsite Convergence. Xscapers is an extension of the Escapees RV Club that is aimed at working-age RVers. Membership in one gives you access to the other, they’re essentially the same thing โ€“ the ‘Xscapers’…

Goodbye Slabs, Hello Open Spaces

February 7, 2017 | 12

January 30, Monday Things have been going well in Slab City, CA. Today’s little field trip is out to the water tank near Salvation Mountain. An artist has drawn a self-portrait on the tank and some of the other concrete surfaces and it’s really well done. There’s graffiti tags all over too. These people have…

1. Phil on July 27, 2016 at 1:08 pm

I went ahead and unsubscribed to your email list. If it costs you money there is no need for you to send me updates. You are my favorite full time blogger so I have you in my favorites and check it when I can. We are currently camp hosting in Colorado for the summer and dont have any signal available. Will catch up when we get home in October.

• Becky on July 28, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Sounds good Phil. I hope you have a great time in Colorado, I’ve heard it’s a beautiful state!

2. Carol on July 21, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. Idaho is on my bucket list.
    Really enjoy your blog and have both of your books.

• Becky on July 21, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Thanks for following along Carol and I’m glad you enjoyed this!

3. Sherry in MT on July 18, 2016 at 1:55 pm

I didn’t read all the comments but the pink flower is what we call sticky geranium. Love the pictures as always and your commentary and I see Nina isn’t having any fun at all!
    Sherry in MT recently posted..Butte Montana Road TripMy Profile

• Becky on July 18, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Nope, no fun at all Sherry. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, someone else mentioned sticky geranium as well, thanks for commenting though!

4. Julianna on July 17, 2016 at 11:55 am

your the best!.. love your blog / posts / pix / inspiration (I am more of a lurker with a laptop then I am a writer.) and yes I am still planning to hit the road… 2 years to go and will start practicing soon. so keep the info coming,,it is very helpful. ..

• Becky on July 17, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Glad you’re enjoying this Juliana, thanks for following along! I know how hard it can be to still be years out from full-timing, I hope the time goes quickly for you and the transition is smooth. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Judy Blinkenberg on July 16, 2016 at 7:03 pm

We are going to Idaho next year also. I’m doing research on camping now. We would like to camp in the US Forest area as we have the discount card for us over 55, or in our case, over 65!! I’d like my hubby to do some fishing. Have a nice time Becky!! Thank you for the pictures and for getting up at 3 am to go with Nina.

• Becky on July 17, 2016 at 6:55 pm

I see a lot of fishermen up here Judy so I’d say it’s a a good area for it. You’ll love it! There so much more to Idaho than I was expecting.

6. Dawn in MI on July 16, 2016 at 6:33 am

Wow. That shot of your site all alone against the mountains is amazing. Stunning actually!

• Becky on July 16, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Haha, it’s all a matter of angle and framing. There are three other RVs in that shot, but I stood in the perfect place that they’re all hidden by trees. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Still, it is a very beautiful spot and I’m happy to be here!

7. Rene Kipp on July 15, 2016 at 10:54 pm

What a stunning area. And how fun to have a hiking partner. Grassy marshes, forest, rivers, mountain vistas & wildflowers, you had it all in one 6 mile hike!
    I did unsubscribe but only to save you a few pennies as I see when you post in other ways.
    Rene Kipp recently posted..Two Weeks!!My Profile

• Becky on July 16, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Yes Rene, I like being a solo RVer but it’s nice to have hiking buddies every now and then. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for thinking of me and I’m glad you’ll continue following IO in other ways. Take care!

8. Kent on July 15, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Edit..
    I think the purple ones are sticky purple geranium. The petals are not notched.

The yellow ones, sulfur buckwheat. Maybe not… But maybe.. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Again, sounds good to me Kent! Someday I should research flowers, I see so many of them.

9. Jodee Gravel on July 15, 2016 at 8:21 pm

What a beautiful hike! How fun to spend more time with Nina – love that last pic of her ๐Ÿ™‚ Those tall pink flowers are so pretty, and not ones I’ve seen yet. Idaho will be a new state for us next summer. Looking forward to it even more now :-)))
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Our Last Day in Wyoming – for NowMy Profile

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Yes Jodee I’m sure you two will have a wonderful time, it’s so pretty here. Safe travels and happy trails. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Mike Banzhoff on July 15, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Enjoying your Journey!

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Glad to hear it Mike!

11. Debbie on July 15, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Glad to hear about the bugs. I think they are some kind of geranium.

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Other readers agree Debbie.

12. Kent on July 15, 2016 at 10:03 am

Bicknell’s Geranium? Maybe Carolina Geranium?

Great TR and photo’s Becky!

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Sure Kent, sounds good to me!

Glad you enjoyed this post.

13. Vanholio! on July 15, 2016 at 8:26 am

Lupine is what those are called? Good to new. I’ve been enjoying seeing them in the New Mexico high country.
    Vanholio! recently posted..Ultimate #Vanlife Music PlaylistMy Profile

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Yep! They like higher elevations it seems.

14. Dawn on July 15, 2016 at 8:03 am

I grew up in the midwest, with all the awful bitey-bugs, but I’ve lived West and SW most of my adult life. It’s been so wonderful being able to camp without constantly defending myself from mosquitoes, no-see-ums, or having to deal with chiggers or constantly check for ticks. I’ll take scorpions over all of those any day.

Thanks for the post. I’d like to get up that-a-way one of these days

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:57 pm

I’ve only seen one scorpion since I hit the road Dawn, definitely an improvement in my book. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, if you get the chance to visit take it, Idaho is so much prettier than I was expecting.

• marijka on July 16, 2016 at 12:02 am

I can take swarms of mosquitoes, but can’t tolerate a single tick! I’ll even stand a spider instead. ๐Ÿ˜› Absolutely beautiful photos (as usual), and confirmed my newsletter. Wouldn’t miss one post! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Becky on July 16, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Glad you enjoyed this and thanks for following IO!

15. Sue Ann Jaffarian on July 15, 2016 at 7:26 am

Gorgeous, as always. I can almost smell the fresh air and vegetation from the photos and your description. Your trips will have to sustain me until I hit the road myself.

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Yes Sue Ann I remember being an “armchair traveler” before I hit the road myself. Having to wait stinks but having other’s adventures to read about in the meantime was helpful. ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Alan Belisle on July 15, 2016 at 6:58 am

There you are, away from the politics and protests and all the urban drama. How serene and beautiful, how calm and soul-nouriching. And, after all of your solo travels, it must be very nice to have a friend to play with for a while. Thanks again for all the beautiful photos.
    Alan Belisle recently posted..Minneapolis 6/30 โ€“ 7/22 (part 1)My Profile

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:55 pm

I am having a good time Alan, although I usually do, haha. You’re welcome and thanks for reading IO.

17. Marneen on July 15, 2016 at 6:12 am

Great read. Thanks for that.
    Enjoying you blog and at the moment, book too.
    Hopefully will be a full timer by October.
    Onward and Upward Becky!

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Congrats on your impending launch Marneen, you must be pretty excited.

You’re welcome and I’m glad you’re finding IO and my guide enjoyable. ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care!

18. Rob on July 15, 2016 at 6:01 am

Thanks for sharing..beautiful

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:52 pm

You’re welcome Rob.

19. Jeanne on July 15, 2016 at 4:49 am

If you’re interested in learning more about the history of the Twin Falls area, I highly recommend visiting the Minidoka Internment camp national monument. It is north and east of Twin Falls not far from Jerome in a practically nonexistent town called Hunt. There’s a terrific little memorial and the remnants of the camp where several thousand Japaneses-Americans were held during WWII. I found it to be hauntingly beautiful.

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Thanks for the advice Jeanne. Don’t think I’ll be back to Twin Falls this trip but next time I come through the area I’ll keep it in mind.

20. Chris on July 14, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Hi Becky! I just started reading your blog the other day. I started from the beginning and am now up to date. It’s been fun to follow you on your journey! I too am a single lady traveling alone, but I am in a 38 foot 5th wheel. I just had solar panels installed a few weeks ago but I have yet to boondock. My plan is to spend next winter down around Arizona and travel elsewhere as I want to. I sold my 10 acre hobby farm in Minnesota last summer but I had to wait until I retired this past May to actually start traveling. Maybe someday we’ll cross paths somewhere! Safe travels!

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Welcome to IO Chris, happy to have you here. Kudos for starting from the beginning, that’s no small feet at 4+ years of blogging, haha!

Arizona is a great place to go RVing, so many RVers go there and there’s a lot of opportunities to make friends and share stories and advice, I bet you’ll have a blast.

Take care, and yes hopefully we’ll cross paths someday!

21. sarah shillinger on July 14, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Beautiful

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Glad you enjoyed this Sarah.

22. Swankie on July 14, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Just so you know, I read every word of every post. LOL
    Swankie recently posted..Exploring Coloradoโ€“days off from Camp hosting.My Profile

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Aww, thanks Swankie and I’m glad you’re enjoying IO. Safe travels and happy trails.

23. Karen on July 14, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Dear Becky, Hi, I’m a new reader of your blog, but I plan to do a lot of “backreading .” I’m looking forward to it. Your style of writing is enjoyable, and your photos are lovely ! I, too, love both writing and nature photography. I’m currently living in Florida, but my dream is to acquire a rig similar to yours and hit the road as a full-time RVer. It may take a while, but I am determined
    Thank you for the inspiration. I hope one day we may meet and maybe even do a hike together! Until then, I’ll be reading, researching, planning, and saving lots of pennies! I’ll be ordering your book soon. Bye for now and all the best to you!

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Welcome to IO Karen, glad to have you here!

I’m glad my blog has inspired you and I wish you all the best as you prepare to hit the road. I volunteered with the U of F one winter and enjoyed my time there but I can’t imagine it’d be a fun place to live in summer.

Hopefully we’ll get the chance to meet on the road, take care!

24. pamelab on July 14, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Gorgeous country! This Idaho hiking will be hard to beat. I agree. I know the first time I was in that area in the winter, I couldn’t get over all the sun – plants hanging in baskets inside fast food restaurants, cloudless skies. But, we were used to winters in western Michigan, where the lake effect gives very few sunny days in the winter. It was a whole new world.
    So nice you have Nina to hike with. Happy hiking!

• Becky on July 15, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Yeah I bet that was a huge difference Pamela. I grew up far enough away from the great lakes (I’m from Wisconsin) that lake effect weather rarely affected the town I lived in. I sure don’t miss all that snow though. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Take care!

25. Jim on July 14, 2016 at 5:58 pm

I think Idaho is now going to be on my hiking destination list. My joints could use a rest and those trails you been showing are my kind of hikes these days.

Thanks for the photos! Beautiful.
    Jim recently posted..On to Portlandโ€ฆMy Profile

• Becky on July 14, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Oh there are hikes for every activity level here Jim, but yes there are several in this “moderate” category which offer beautiful views. Idaho has both surprised and impressed me.

26. Sheila Hagadone on July 14, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Thanks SO MUCH for the gorgeous pictures!
    Where exactly were you camping at?
    I’d LOVE to go there!
    Thanks so much! Sheila

• Becky on July 14, 2016 at 6:13 pm

I’m at an unnamed spur road off of highway 75 north of Ketchum in the national forest. It’s visible from the road but there aren’t any markers or anything to point you to I’m afraid and I don’t know how to get the GPS coordinates for a place, haha.

Glad you enjoyed these pictures, take care Sheila!

27. Jerry Minchey on July 14, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Becky,

The colors in that next to last, late afternoon photo are breathtaking. What a great picture. I can see why Idaho is going to spoil you for hiking in other places.

I’m sure you’re going to take a breather from writing for a while but have you thought about your next writing project? On second thought, even if you have, you probably don’t want to reveal anything at this point.

• Becky on July 14, 2016 at 6:10 pm

I’ve noticed that storms often make for some pretty neat lighting Jerry, I’m glad I was in the right place at the right time to capture this one.

The next writing project is going to be a ways away, yeah. I have a few ideas in mind…

28. Bobby on July 14, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Beautiful. Wish I could be camp there. Glad u had great time.

• Becky on July 14, 2016 at 6:09 pm

You’ll just need to visit yourself someday Bobby!