Mountain Moods

My current camp near Steamboat Springs CO is, in my opinion, the prettiest I’ve ever had. The sweeping views at the top of this hill are incredible and I just can’t get enough of it. It’s been a stormy few days up here at 10,000 feet and today I’d like to share some of the pictures I’ve taken of my mountain top home in its various moods. Enjoy!

mountain-moods (2)

mountain-moods (3)

mountain-moods (4)

mountain-moods (1)

mountain-moods (5)

mountain-moods (6)

mountain-moods (7)

mountain-moods (8)

The reason why most of 302 is maintained so well is because of these buildings at the top of the hill with me. They're government owned according to signs, but I'm not sure what exactly they are. Weather?

The reason why most of 302 is maintained so well is because of these two small buildings at the top of the hill with me. They’re government owned according to signs, but I’m not sure what exactly they are.

mountain-moods (10)

mountain-moods (11)

mountain-moods (12)

Click for larger image

Click for larger image

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Buffalo and Bad Weather

May 9, 2013 | 22

Tuesday was about the best test for the RV windows that I could imagine. After another gorgeous morning, clouds started rolling in in the afternoon and at around 3:30 the thunderstorm hit, in force. It rained, it hailed, and it rained some more, for a good hour or so. I was working until 5:30. We…

Anza-Borrego Hiking

February 23, 2017 | 32

February 18, Saturday It rains overnight, but not the heavy downpour that was expected. This morning the road into camp has a few puddles in the low spots, but if there was any flash flooding it’s past. The sky is a uniform gray, and low clouds shroud the tops of the mountains. It’s a stay…

RV Views, 2017

January 11, 2018 | 6

Warning, picture intensive post! My take on the ‘best camping spots of the year’ is different from most RVers. I make a point to find the beauty in every place I visit and hate to rate them. Instead, I do this post: a pictoral review all the places I’ve camped through the year, as seen…

1. pamelab on August 20, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Hi, Becky –
    I have never been to that part of the country when there wasn’t snow on the ground, but have realized it is beautiful all year round.
    Enjoy. Really enjoy your blog.
    Pamelab in Lubbock TX for now.

• Becky on August 21, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Now that you have your Casita Pamela hopefully you’ll be able to get out here in summer some year. Take care!

2. Dale on August 20, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Do you ever worry about lightning while parked on a mountain top? In a bad electrical storm the safest place is in your vehicle.

• Becky on August 21, 2016 at 3:31 pm

It crosses my mind Dale. There are trees taller than my trailer on the top of this hill so I’m not so worried about it here.

3. Kent on August 20, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Those towers are part of the trunked radio system for fire, law, cnty. A good spot there to bounce signal from Steam Boat over the pass down toward the Walden/Kremmling areas.

I know! I know! You were just itching to know! 🙂

Great pics! You are catching our August monsoons.

• Becky on August 21, 2016 at 3:29 pm

I was curious Kent so thanks for sharing, it’s good to learn new things. 🙂

4. Ernesto Quintero on August 20, 2016 at 12:03 pm

This is just a helpful tip for everyone: Those rocks in the middle of the “road” in the first image have busted oil pan written all over it. Beware, unexpected dips of right or left tires can cause lowest point of engine, oil pan, to contact ground/rocks/roots, unless vehicles are equipped with bash/skid plates. Normally all vehicle do not have bash/skid plates from factory, even pickup don’t unless they are off-road models, some Jeep models would probably be the exceptions to the rule.

• Becky on August 21, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for sharing Ernesto.

5. Sue Ann Jaffarian on August 20, 2016 at 11:44 am

Lovely and peaceful!

• Becky on August 21, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Sure is Sue Ann!

6. Reed Martin on August 20, 2016 at 10:41 am

How wonderful to have this kind of vibe about a place! As another excellent travel writer says at these times ‘…..it’s this, for which I came !’

• Becky on August 20, 2016 at 10:54 am

A good quote Reed, glad you enjoyed this!

7. MnDreamer on August 20, 2016 at 9:52 am

The skies! I’m feeling grateful for these beautiful photos.

• Becky on August 20, 2016 at 10:48 am

Glad you enjoyed them Mn!

8. Jim on August 20, 2016 at 8:48 am

I wouldn’t be able to get my big rig up there but it looks like a great place to camp. Question…do you have water available up there?
    Jim recently posted..Blues Festival…My Profile

• Becky on August 20, 2016 at 10:48 am

A tiny creek passes underneath 302 in a culvert about two-miles from 40 (so about 2 miles from where I am), otherwise no.

9. Jodee Gravel on August 20, 2016 at 7:28 am

You captured some real beauties up there. Glad the wind isn’t an issue for you. Have fun on your mountain top!!
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..American Heartland – Big City, Rural Farmland, Mighty Industry and More CornMy Profile

• Becky on August 20, 2016 at 10:46 am

Thanks Jodee, it’s been a great place to camp.

10. Debbie on August 20, 2016 at 6:27 am

Rabbit’s Ear Pass and Steamboat are so great. I hope the storm last night didn’t blow you off your mountain. It was pretty bad in Denver last night.

• Becky on August 20, 2016 at 10:45 am

It rained a little and there was lightning and thunder for about an hour but the wind wasn’t bad, it went more to the north of me. I gotta say, storms are something else this high up.

11. N Sky on August 20, 2016 at 3:47 am

Great views, thanks for sharing your perch. Makes me itchy to get along with my adventure. – ‘up high and to the left of the third star–‘- Sky

• Becky on August 20, 2016 at 10:43 am

A big reason why I share sites like this is to inspire others Sky, I wish you all the best with your future adventure. 🙂

12. Eric on August 20, 2016 at 1:39 am

Looks very cool Becky! I have good memories of camping in the Colorado mountains in my VW camper van. Loved all the wildflowers and winding mountain roads. If you get a chance check out the Leadville, Frisco, Vail area.

• Becky on August 20, 2016 at 10:41 am

Yeah a lot of RVers talk about that area Eric, I’ll probably be going through there coming up. A van would be great for camping in places like this, more maneuverable.

13. Jay on August 19, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Becky,
    great pictures and camp but be careful going in those off road places as I have seen and towed people out of those places. I know that you are a good driver but things happen to the best of us and it can be a long time getting help. Just an old guy who is concern about your safety and your equipment. Jay

• Becky on August 20, 2016 at 10:38 am

Trust me Jay, I keep those things in the back of my mind. 😉

14. Judith Blinkenberg on August 19, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Oh, to be there would be heavenly.
    Judith Blinkenberg recently posted..Destashing Your Treasures!My Profile

• Becky on August 20, 2016 at 10:33 am

Some day soon Judith. 🙂

15. Bob Miller on August 19, 2016 at 11:44 am

Lovely photo’s! Question, could a class C with average clearances make it up there?

• Becky on August 20, 2016 at 10:32 am

Depends how long the C is Bob, one of the corners coming around a tree would be pretty tight for anything longer than 25-30 feet without a fulcrum in the middle. Average C clearance would probably be fine right now if you took it really slow like I did, but this road isn’t maintained at all so I don’t know what it’d be like next year.