Skip to content

Whisked Away

There have been two types of days at my camp on Turquoise Lake near Leadville CO. The first type is partly to mostly sunny and windy, but nice enough when you’re in the sun. On these days, I’ll take my camp chair down the hill to the beach and read while listening to birds call and watching the waves come in.

whisked-away-1

Or, I’ll take a walk along the trail that parallels the shore. More of the aspen are changing color for fall and there is no shortage of photo opportunities.

whisked-away-2

Following the trail clockwise around the lake, I discover a picnic area complete with grills. During less windy times of the year, I imagine this would be a great place to enjoy lunch.

whisked-away-3

Playing with different views of the lake is an entertaining exercise. I’m told that I have a good eye for photo composition. I don’t think this was an innate talent, but something I developed by taking a lot of photos of the same subject and reviewing them later to see what looked most interesting. I catch pictures of the lake through the trees…

whisked-away-4

Pictures with objects of interest in the foreground…

whisked-away-5

And pictures following the edge of the lake. Which is best? Well, that’s the neat thing about art. It’s subjective, so there is no “best”. Guidelines for what makes good art go in and out of vogue. Everyone’s free to decide for themselves.

whisked-away-6

One evening I walk down to the boat ramp, the camp host is gone for the season and his site stands empty. The electric pedestal is padlocked, the water turned off, and the Firewood mailbox is empty. Visitation at the lake is dropping, which I’m fine with as I enjoy the peace and quiet.

whisked-away-7

On these nicer days, there aren’t enough clouds for a great sunset, but the lake still looks interesting: opaque and secretive.

whisked-away-8

The second type of day is mostly overcast with scattered thunderstorms, and windy of course. On those days, I don’t venture outside the Casita other than to play roulette with the weather and put my solar out during the few patches of clear sky to bring in a little power before the next rain cloud passes over.

On one of these evenings, I see the bottoms of the clouds glowing near sunset and duck out into a light rain and barrel down to the beach at a jog. This is the sunset I’ve been waiting for!

whisked-away-9

Being stranded has turned out to be a surprisingly social experience. I meet up with two blog readers from Denver who take me to the Golden Burro in town. The service is a bit slow, but the food is good and the atmosphere is neat. This restaurant has been here since 1938.

I’m also invited over to the neighbors at the campground for taco salad. They’re locals who work Friday through Monday doing demos at a grocery store, then come out to the lake and fish on Tuesday through Thursday. Their old fiberglass Class A motorhome is really neat, and the food is great too, there’s even a pie at the end!

whisked-away-10

The 15th starts no different from the previous week. I wake up, peer outside, and conclude it’s going to be the ‘mostly sunny and windy’ type of day. But while perusing Facebook, I discover that the Xscapers SoCo convergence is starting tomorrow and less than 60 miles south of Leadville. Darn, if only my truck was already fixed.

whisked-away-11

To make a long story short, the hosts of the event (Christie and Brian of Spot the Scotts) realize my plight and offer to come tow Cas down to Salida, and drive me back up to Leadville on Tuesday when Bertha is fixed. They arrive late in the afternoon with the tow vehicle used to haul their 41′ fifth-wheel. We conclude it’s probably enough truck for the Casita.

whisked-away-12

Thanks Brian and Christie, you guys are awesome!

An hour and a half later, I’m set up at the convergence boondocking area northwest of Poncha Springs. A nearly-full moon rises behind the trailer.

whisked-away-13

Like at the Xscapers convergence in Quartzsite last January, the first nightly campfire goes rather late and is a good time. Today the festivities officially start, it should be an enjoyable week!

whisked-away-14

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

AAQ: Story Time

November 10, 2016 |

While working at Amazon this holiday season, I’m running a weekly “Ask A Question” post since I’m not sightseeing much and have limited time to write. Have a question you’d like answered? Read more about AAQ here. Today, Ethan asks for one of my favorite stories to share about my time on the road. This…

Walking Among Giants

October 4, 2014 |

Saturday, October 4 With departure from Zion and a return to the open road imminent tomorrow morning, time for updates is limited tonight, but I’ll do what I can. Well really, there should have been plenty enough time to prep for travel and update the blog, but Julie and I got a bit distracted. We…

Peninsula State Park, WI

August 25, 2017 |

August 21, Monday For having grown up here, there’s a ridiculous amount of Wisconsin I’ve never seen. Case in point: Door County. Door County is the ‘thumb’ of Wisconsin that juts out into Lake Michigan. It’s touristy in a small town way with a lot of vineyards and stores selling premium jams and cheese out…

1. pamelab on September 18, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Hi, Becky –
    You are living the life of serendipity. I’m happy for you that you are having some fun. I have had very spotty wifi, but relieved to know it’s the camp ground and not my Verizon jetpack.
    I am learning more and more about my Casita and camping. I have not done any dry camping yet, but look forward to having some solar panels and batteries by January.
    Happy Trails and Fun Adventures.
    Pamelab in Alto, Michigan for now

• Becky on September 20, 2016 at 4:21 pm

I’m glad you’re enjoying RVing so far Pamela, Michigan is really nice this time of year. If you’re ready to try boondocking by January I hope you have the chance to visit Quartzsite down in Arizona. It’s a lot of fun, plenty of boondocking space, and a lot of sun for solar panels. Take care.

2. MnDreamer on September 17, 2016 at 8:39 pm

I’m so happy that what you have given to and shared with the world is coming back to you! Enjoy this time, Becky; you deserve it.

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Thanks Mn!

3. Linda Sand on September 17, 2016 at 5:31 pm

I’ve often heard it said that Escapees, with it’s branch of Xscapers, is not a club; it’s family. Your story supports that. I’m glad they reached out to include you.

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 1:41 pm

It’s a bit of both I suppose Linda. 🙂

4. Mike Fryman on September 17, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Girl you are such a reader, what are you presently reading……..and give me a couple of recommendations…………….I am presently reading Oliver Sacks autobiograph….like it. I also read a lot all over the place…..love bizarre to history…..love irving, conroy, robins, wolfe, patchet(gotta get her new book)……..my wife go on the road next week. heading initially to new mexico……thanks for listening. If you can get to salida town, try Amica’s great pizza and micro brews. Worth the experience. thanks Mike

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 1:39 pm

I read mostly fantasy and sci-fi books Mike, currently the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher.

Have a good trip and enjoy NM. I’m not a beer person but I’ll look into the pizza joint if there’s time after the truck if fixed. Take care.

5. Dawn from Camano Island on September 17, 2016 at 10:43 am

As I read your post–with gorgeous photos–I thought about just how stir crazy I would be without the ability to go someplace. Any place. And then I see your guardian angels ready to transport you to the company of like-minded people!! YAY! Have fun–you very richly deserve it!

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Thanks Dawn. Even when my truck is fully functional I’ll sometimes go a week or more without driving anywhere. When you’re full-timing you don’t need to go fast as you have years to see it all. Remembering it helps.

6. Debbie on September 17, 2016 at 10:41 am

There are a lot of good people out there. Glad you are having a good time.

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Thanks Debbie.

7. Carol on September 17, 2016 at 10:38 am

Becky, you own my heartfelt admiration for your fortitude, your intelligence, your ability to think outside the box. Whether you realize it or not, this saga of Bertha’s mechanical issues, is a great teaching experience for your audience. I am decades older than you. I am not a full-timer, but I travel with my little camper, and you have taught me much about how to deal with adversity. Kudos to you, and kudos to those kind people who have shown you grace, mercy, and love.

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Glad you found this post helpful and inspiring Carol. Full-timing is a great tool for improving confidence, flexibility, and critical thinking. I’m a much stronger person for dealing with the challenges of RVing.

8. Sue Ann Jaffarian on September 17, 2016 at 7:34 am

Beautiful photos, as always! Seeing that I’ll be joining the full-timer ranks soon, I’m so thrilled to see such good neighbors out there. Enjoy the Convergence!

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Thanks Sue Ann, glad you enjoyed this. 🙂

9. Sherry on September 17, 2016 at 5:42 am

You’ve handled this all with very good spirits. I assume they follow your blog so they knew you were stranded. Hiw terrific of them to cone get you so you can join the fun. Friends are wonderful!

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 1:31 pm

The RVing community is a great one Sherry, I have more friends now than I did living stationary.

10. Janet bickham on September 17, 2016 at 5:30 am

I’m new to your blog and am thoroughly enjoying it! Have read with apprension and awe at your current situation…you are an inspiration to others. My husband and I are part timers, but getting ready to go on the road next year,so I have read with interest about all your locales out west. Your photography is wonderful! I draw and paint so I’m anxious to see what I can come up with out there. Thanks again for sharing, and hope you enjoy the convergence! Janet bickham

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 1:30 pm

You’re welcome Janet and I’m glad you’re enjoying IO. There certainly is a lot to see out west and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Take care!

11. Asha on September 17, 2016 at 4:50 am

I enjoy your post but this one was special for some reason! After only 2 months on the road,
    I too broke down recently. Met a lady in her 80’s at the dealership that was working on my car. She offered to drive me around to show me the grocery stores, redbox etc. She ended up taking me to lunch at the Madonba Inn in No CA…
    RV life certainly seems to brings the best of people to center. Happy trails.

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Yes Asha, in generally I’ve found that strangers tend to pull together when someone is in need, the world isn’t as scary a place as the media makes it out to be. Glad you had help during your vehicle breakdown!

12. sarah shillinger on September 16, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Glad you are with people again. It must have been hard being at the lake without transportation.

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Not as bad as I thought it would be Sarah. I had the bike, I had friends willing to help, I had a beautiful place to live while I waited. In the end, the “disaster” really didn’t turn out to be so bad.

13. Kent on September 16, 2016 at 7:55 pm

My best friend.. I mean “best” no human has ever been closer.. Well, his folks owned a motel in Poncha Spgs… One night an elderly couple died in their home in a fire. Bill, my friends dad went to the next town counsel meeting a *bit miffed saying, “This can never happen again!….. They said, “Well then Bill.., then………. You are our new Fire Chief..” …. “Crazy Bill” figured out a way to get a new fire pumper in the fire house.. He was a man who gave back, gave back and just kept giving.. A White Owl cigar trapped between his teeth and a laugh that would not stop.

Bill Lenderink…………

What a man.. He passed away while fishing on the Arkansas River there last year. It was quick..

His son? Scott? My best friend? He passed away too a few years ago. Melanoma…

Damn, we are wonderful folks if we just let go a bit, eh?… Pass it on. Just keep passing it on……….. Makes me damn happy to be a part of!

Bless ya Becky!

14. Jodee Gravel on September 16, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Beautiful photos along the water – pretty sweet spot to be “stranded” – until of course you aren’t! How wonderful of them to come get you to join the party. Enjoy the Convergence.
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Nature and History in New YorkMy Profile

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Thanks Jodee, glad you enjoyed these photos.

15. Rebecca on September 16, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Glad you made it to Salida. Beautiful photos!

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Thanks Rebecca!

16. Kent on September 16, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Just awesome! My old heart skipped a beat… Damn! How wonderful.

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 12:38 pm

🙂

17. Nancy on September 16, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Glad you’re meeting good people willing to help. I truly believe RVrs are special people no matter what kind of rig they have.

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Yeah Nancy, on the whole I’ve found nomads of all sorts to be kind and helpful.

18. Judy Blinkenberg on September 16, 2016 at 4:30 pm

I am so happy for You! Oh, have a wonderful time. You are very nice lady. Hope to meet you in the future, just to say hi!! God Bless.

• Becky on September 18, 2016 at 12:33 pm

I am having a good time, thanks Judy.

• David Wayne Aucoin on September 18, 2016 at 7:06 pm

You truly have inspired one person here. I can not wait to travel the country and sing my songs at small venues. By the way I wrote a song based on 2 blog videos you did going to Badlands National Park. As I had mentioned I love the American Indians. Those videos inspired me to write a song.

and

I may be getting old but the way I am looking at it is I am just beginning to live. Just born again to a new way of life.
      Thanks for inspiring me to peruse my life long dream.
      Yeah!!!! on my way soon……….
      Dave

• Becky on September 20, 2016 at 4:18 pm

My cellular data is limited so I’ll watch the videos when I get somewhere with free WiFi, thanks for sharing Dave.

I’m glad you’ve found IO inspiring and helpful and wish you the best as you prepare to hit the road.

• David Wayne on September 20, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Thanks I know your busy, so thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been soaking in everything on this site and so encouraged. The site is set up so awesome. It has everything (everything) I was asking myself about going on the road playing music. Looks like between the scamp and the casita I will go with the casita. Back to work preparing and saving……
          Dave