RV Views, 2016 (part 1)

Alright! IO seems to be up and working again (the issues last night were due to a problem with the server that hosts IO), so I’m not going to bed until I get this post up.

I started a tradition a while back of taking pictures through Cas’ windows at the various places I camped to show what my home and office views are like. Up through 2015, these pictures totaled no more than maybe 12 a year, because much of my year was spent parked for months at a time at various work-camping gigs.

This year everything changed, and when I realized I had 18 pictures already by the start of June when I started editing them on Saturday, I realized I was going to have to split this into two parts. So here’s part 1, which starts at the beginning of the year with a mad dash of a few hundred miles out to Quartzsite, AZ to help give a seminar at the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, I was about ten minutes late.

My very first boondocking site near Quartzsite at the RTR, taken on 1/9.

My very first boondocking site near Quartzsite at the RTR, taken on 1/9. Scoping out a site took so long, I had no clue what I was looking for, haha. But the effort paid off!

At the Quartzsite Xscapers Convergence on 1/17. Do you recognize this bus?

At the Quartzsite Xscapers Convergence on 1/17. Do you recognize this bus? It’s Cherie and Chris of Technomadia, who hosted an outdoor movie night one evening, what fun!

Saddle Mountain - a truly gorgeous boondocking area between Quartzsite and Phoenix. Taken on 1/31

Saddle Mountain – a truly gorgeous boondocking area between Quartzsite and Phoenix. The quieter environment was much appreciated between rallies. Taken on 1/31

My third and final rally in Quartzsite (who said boondocking has to be a lonely experience?), this time it's the Fiberglass RV meetup, I was RV #127 to show up - quite the crowd!

My third and final rally in Quartzsite (who says boondocking has to be a lonely experience?), this time it’s the Fiberglass RV meetup, I was RV #127 to show up – quite the crowd!

Arizona and sunsets just go together. Boondocking in Ehrenberg near the boarder with California on 2/10.

Arizona and sunsets just go together. Boondocking in Ehrenberg near the border with California on 2/10. Note: The Colorado river is extremely cold in February, even this far south with daytime temps in the 80’s.

My first entirely solo boondocking spot, did the research all by myself! This is Picketpost mountain east of Phoenix, not too bad huh? Taken 2/28.

I spent two nights at Saddle Mountain RV park in Tonopah, AZ - once in January and once in March to dump tanks and charge electronics. Taken 3/7.

I spent two nights at Saddle Mountain RV park in Tonopah, AZ – once in January and once in March to dump tanks and charge electronics. Taken 3/7.

My boondock at the south entrance to Joshua Tree National Park in CA, taken 3/11. Loved my ironwood tree.

Towed Cas through Joshua Tree park and ate lunch at this scenic pullover on 3/17.

The dry lake bed outside the north entrance to Joshua Tree park (near Joshua Tree, the town) may not be much to look at but the location is convenient and I witnessed one of the best sunsets of the year here, the photo that ended up as the cover of The Little Guide to Dreaming Big. This pic was taken on 3/18.

The dry lake bed outside the north entrance to Joshua Tree park (near Joshua Tree, the town) may not be much to look at but the location is convenient and I witnessed one of the best sunsets of the year here, the photo that ended up as the cover of The Little Guide to Dreaming Big. This pic from inside was taken on 3/18.

The Acton KOA (in Acton, CA) was a bit pricey but the mountains are beautiful and the green-ness was a welcome change of pace. Taken 4/12.

The Acton KOA (in Acton, CA) was a bit pricey but the mountains are beautiful and the green-ness was a welcome change of pace, I also got to hike a tiny bit of the Pacific Crest Trail that goes through the campground! I was here for a “home” visit to qualify for adoption from a dog rescue I was interested in. Taken 4/12.

Spent two nights at Oak Flat campground by Castaic, CA. There were a lot of oak! The new grass growing rampant underneath them was pretty. Taken 4/13.

A full moon rising over my waterfront site at Keyesville Recreation Site near Lake Isabella, CA. Taken 4/20.

A full moon rising over my waterfront boondocking site at Keyesville Recreation Site near Lake Isabella, CA. Taken 4/20.

My campsite at Delta Bay Park and Marina had a pretty view of a little picnic area. Taken 5/6.

My campsite at Delta Bay Park and Marina had a pretty view of a little picnic area. Taken 5/6, I liked the effect the rain had on the window.

A lot went right for me in 2016, but dog adoption did not. I ended up transporting Jessica the Papillon mix from San Francisco to Los Angeles slowly over the course of nearly three weeks. One stop we made was Mt. Modonna County park - redwoods! Taken 5/8.

It probably sounds a lot like 2016 was a fantastic year for me from posts and photos I’ve published lately (and it was!) but while a lot of experiments this year panned out well, adopting a dog did not. I ended up transporting Jessica the Papillon mix from San Francisco to Los Angeles slowly over the course of nearly three weeks. One stop we made was Mt. Madonna County park – redwoods! Taken 5/8.

I boondocked at Sawtooth Canyon Campground in Lucerne Valley, CA on two separate occasions, once in April and once in May. This pic was from my second stay on 5/17. Natural rock window at my campsite!

I just, wow. The Alabama Hills are amazing. Red rock formations with snow-capped mountains behind. If you've never been, you need to boondock here! Here's a little cave right outside my campsite, taken on 5/25.

I just, wow. The Alabama Hills in the Eastern Sierra are amazing. Red rock formations with snow-capped mountains behind. If you’ve never been, you need to boondock here! Here’s a little cave right outside my campsite, taken on 5/25.

McGee campground near Crowley Lake, CA is only $5 a night. Definitely worth it for this view. Taken 6/4.

Part 2 will come in January after the year is complete. Hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane!

I’m not sure about Campbellsville and Murfreesboro, but Haslet campers finally have (optional) overtime this week! I’m working 52 hours (all in the stow department, as Inbound is where the overtime is at) so thank you for your patience as response times to comments, e-mails, and FB messages haven’t been as speedy.

Related Posts

Forget about what the world tells you your life should be like. At IO I teach people how to ditch the status quo and go full-time RVing before retirement. Included at no additional charge: seizing your dreams, living boldly, and making a difference.

1. Elaine from BC on November 25, 2016 at 12:11 pm

I love the photos out the window. I have photos like that from out of tent doors (a car top tent included), out of the windows of a truck canopy and out of the windows of a fiberglass truck camper. You’ve given me an idea for a post of my own!!

• Becky on November 26, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I’m glad this inspired you Elaine! It’s a fun way to do a recap of the year’s travels.

2. Rhonda on November 24, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I LOVE this pictoral post, Becky! What a pretty recap of the year beind you. And cool idea of taking a photo from inside the camper. We have a trip planned to Perdido Key, FL in a few weeks so I’m gonna’ “borrow” your idea and start doing a “From the Picture Window” photo collection from now on. Thanks for sharing so much information with us–hang in there…you’ll be done with work and off to more adventures soon…:-)

• Becky on November 26, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Glad you enjoyed this Rhonda, and also happy to have inspired you! I hope you get some good photos of your views. 🙂

3. Jay on November 24, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Becky, thanks for the recap! only one more month at Amazon than a well deserved time off.
    HAVE A GOOD Thanksgiving. Jay from Oregon

• Becky on November 26, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Thanks Jay, yeah it’ll be good to have the road under the Casita’s wheels again! Take care and I hope you had a good Thanksgiving too.

4. Jeff on November 24, 2016 at 10:49 am

Beautiful boondocking locations! It makes me excited to try it. I’m trying to decide between going with solar power or a generator. What’s your opinion about the pros and cons of each?

Did you get a rescue dog? They are great travel companions but can be a pain if you need to be gone for a long time for things such as workcamping.

5. BadgerRickInWis on November 24, 2016 at 10:02 am

What a great recap of a great year. I’ve read about Alabama hills on a couple is sites now and it is defiantly one of those areas with a big check mark on my “wanna see” list. I’ve been in the Western Sierra but never that side.

Curious to see how your “jello plans” work out in the coming year. Knoxville Tennessee or Ashville N.C. are both spots I’m considering to have a kind of home base when I go full time. As always thanks for letting me tag along.

• Becky on November 26, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Yeah word is getting out about the Hills, luckily there’s a lot of boondocking sites out there and it rarely fills up.

You’re welcome and take care!

6. Gary on November 23, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Great Idea. I have done similar photo shots with my window, but never saved them where I could get to them quickly. It has amazed me how different our views can change. Most you couldn’t afford the view if you were building a home. Happy Thanksgiving from Jagger and I.

• Becky on November 23, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Yep Gary I think of that all the time. Not only do RVers get million dollar views on the cheap, but we can have many of them over the course of the year, unlike the poor home owner who only gets one great view. 😉

7. Lara / InspiredTrekker on November 23, 2016 at 9:39 am

Some awesome spots- the Alabama Hills looks especially cool to me. I think I’ll get there… Happy Thanksgiving!
    Lara / InspiredTrekker recently posted..After the Fact: The Savannah River in Augusta, GAMy Profile

• Becky on November 23, 2016 at 8:39 pm

It’s a really special combination of environments Lara, never been anywhere like it. Thanks and hope you have a good one too.

8. Jose on November 23, 2016 at 9:32 am

Becky, i love taking pictures, and your pictures don’t even need a caption. 🙂

• Becky on November 23, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Thanks Jose.

9. Jim on November 23, 2016 at 7:53 am

Really very nice pics. Especially like that last one.
    Jim recently posted..New Repair Section…My Profile

• Becky on November 23, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Yeah that view of the Sierra was incredible.

I’m quite pleased with how GIMP is working out as my new photo editing program.

10. Ann cabezas creed on November 23, 2016 at 7:47 am

nice photos! Keep up the good blog posts!

• Becky on November 23, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Glad you enjoyed this Ann!

11. Kim on November 23, 2016 at 5:50 am

Beautiful photos! I have a CamperForce question to compare facilities. I’m just leaving Campbellsville- early, I know, but I thought they should give me the tee shirt. They thought otherwise. When did they give you yours?

• Becky on November 23, 2016 at 8:19 pm

It varies from facility to facility. Haslet hands theirs out at the beginning of the season, but when I worked at the Coffeyville site they made the shirt a perk of making it through peak – sometime in December.

12. Jerry Minchey on November 23, 2016 at 5:42 am

Becky, do you have any plans to be back in the South East anytime this coming year, or are you a forever west of the Mississippi gal now?

• Becky on November 23, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Tentatively (jello plans!) I’ll be crossing the Mississippi to visit friends and family in Wisconsin next summer, and if I do that I’ll probably do CamperForce next fall in Kentucky or Tennessee. And if I do that, I may at least visit Florida in December after that. But it’s really all guesses at this point.

To be perfectly frank, I can’t afford to travel out east right now because free camping options that direction are so scarce. I’m not making enough money online yet to afford regular campground fees, so I’d have to work-camp and then I wouldn’t really get to see as much. Hopefully someday!

13. MnDreamer on November 23, 2016 at 4:54 am

<3 the photos! Thank you for sharing, Becky. Stack up that overtime, and keep those emergency fund dollars rolling in!

• Becky on November 23, 2016 at 8:08 pm

You’re welcome Mn and I’m glad you enjoyed them. I’m exhausted this evening (my fifth day) but now it’s the weekend so I’m going to sleep in tomorrow.

• Becky on November 26, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Glad you enjoyed this Mn!

14. Ron on November 23, 2016 at 3:40 am

Great post. Like the recap of the sites. My wife works at the Hebron AMaxon, they are just kicking into peak hours.

• Becky on November 23, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Glad you enjoyed this Ron. This weekend the overtime will switch from inbound to outbound, so I need to see if I can get cross-trained into pick next to take advantage of that, haha.

• Jim on November 24, 2016 at 8:43 am

Careful what you wish for…pickers walk 5-18 MILES per day and it’s getting closer to the season for long days and fast walking. It is kind of fun on those days when everything goes right and you pick tons of product.
        Jim recently posted..New Repair Section…My Profile

• Becky on November 26, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Oh trust me I know Jim. 😉 Haslet is a KIVA facility though, Stow, ICQA and Pick don’t walk here, you stand at stations and the robots bring the product to you.

15. Pamela on November 22, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Hi, Becky –
    I enjoyed the photo gallery. You have been to some beautiful sites. Congrats on the overtime!
    Thanks for the post and update.
    Pamelab back in Missouri City. TX for now

• Becky on November 23, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Hope your trip down from Michigan went well Pamela! Yes I’ve enjoyed holding onto these window views to share at the end of the year, it’s nice to reflect on where I’ve been.

16. Tina on November 22, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Wow, love all these window view Becky! What a great idea 🙂

Tina

• Becky on November 23, 2016 at 8:05 pm

It’s fun to look back at the end of the year and review where I’ve been. 🙂

• Sylvia Jones on February 4, 2017 at 4:42 am

Yes, I made notes on two of your sites and it dawned on me to definitely put the month you were there because that will make a big difference! Thank you, Becky, for all your beautiful pictures. They are amazing. Hope to see a few in person. I am very hopeful to do so either this year or next. Bless you!

• Becky on February 5, 2017 at 9:48 am

Glad you enjoyed this and found in inspirational Sylvia. I wish you the best as you prepare to hit the road!

Have practical RVing advice and inspirational travel stories sent straight to your inbox.

Your email is safe with me and you can unsubscribe anytime.