Anza-Borrego Calls

I stick around Winterhaven, CA on American Girl Mine Road (AGM) for a while after the Xscapers Annual Bash officially ends. On the 30th I take a walk and enjoy the super moon (no, I didn’t wake up to watch the lunar eclipse). It was pretty special to see it peek through the clouds while the sun was setting the other direction. Definitely the highlight of that day.

On the 1st I go back out to Imperial Sand Dunes with a few Xscapers who are still hanging around, this time focusing on photos. The sunset isn’t as great as last time, but the company was good and I’m still happy with what I get. The only problem was that I was made the lead car driving out there and I almost took a wrong turn, whoops! Never let me be the lead car, haha.

On the 2nd, I finally catch the cold that’s been plaguing people since Quartzsite. Which is a real bummer because my tanks need dumping and it’s time to be moving on from AGM. Well, at least it waited until the convergence ended this year. My catching of the cold coincided with my running out of hand sanitizer. Coincidence? I think not! I’d been carrying the stuff around with me in Quartzsite and using it after every hand shake. Which might sound a bit extreme, but when I got sick last year I was out for over a week and missed a lot. I stretch my tanks one more day and witness this last sunset.

The 3rd is the worst day of the cold. I move less than 20 minutes away to the nearest RV park (Gold Rock Ranch) and pay for one night so I can take care of my tanks at a slower pace and have A/C to be able to nap in peace in the heat. I don’t feel well enough in the evening to take a sunset video, thus marking the end of the sunset project. For those who haven’t seen it yet on YouTube, I watched (and filmed) every sunset from December 27th through Feb 2nd as an experiment in mindfulness and overcoming the apathy I sometimes suffer from in the winter. You can watch it here – 37 Sunsets: Practicing Presence.

On the 4th, I’m feeling better and pull into Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.

This boondock has a few things going for it. For starters, it’s got good mountain views. Which is great because it’s another hot day… and looking like that trend will continue. I work in the mornings and read in my comfy chair outside in the afternoons when it gets too uncomfortable in the Casita. Last light on the mountains is quite a treat!

Second, there are ample walking and hiking opportunities. Other parts of the park have designated trails, but besides that there are also options right around camp. In the hills just to the west some rock art it hidden which is fun to walk to, and Rockhouse road continues from the camping area down to the dry lake bed. I walk that stretch of road on a few different evenings, enjoying getting away from the road noise and general bustle of camp (this is a pretty popular boondocking area, you won’t be alone).

Third, the nearby town of Borrego Springs is adorable and has all the basic necessities. A few days after my arrival, several other Xscapers arrive and it ends up being another impromptu bash. On the 9th a bunch of us go into town for the farmer’s market, which takes place in a cute park located at the center of a large roundabout called Christmas Circle. There’s grass and free WiFi at the park, as well as restrooms.

Borrego Springs is also rather artsy. I talked about the metal sculptures last year which are definitely worth seeing if you’re in the area and hopefully I’ll get a chance to check them out while here. But if you don’t have the time to hunt them down, near the park is this little instillation combining art with plants.

On the 10th, a number of us carpool out to Font’s Point, which is quite close by. It’s an off-roading trail through loose sand, so 4×4 vehicles are recommended. We time our drive to arrive for sunset, but the wind, which was bad enough at camp, is even more pronounced on this exposed point jutting over the badlands. But we brave it, because it’s an undeniably beautiful spot.

And it is a point, with views on three sides.

My favorite shot of the evening is this view looking west at last light on the mountains.

Kelly of Camp Addict is among the Xscapers also out here, and when you put the two of us together, ridiculous things happen. We totally rock the wind-blown hair photoshoot. Brian’s dog Stella is not impressed.

A number of people home just after the sun falls behind the horizon, but a few of us brave the wind a while longer to see what the clouds do. I’ve seen some pretty good sunsets here in the southwest this winter, but have yet to witness a truly jaw-dropping one, I got a few of those last winter. Tonight’s turns out pretty nice…

But is still not what I’ve been waiting for. Well, being a full-timer, I’m in no rush. When that 10/10 sunset finally happens it’ll be all the sweeter for the wait.

Thanks Patrons for your support!

Related Posts

Forget about what the world tells you your life should be like. At IO I teach people how to ditch the status quo and go full-time RVing before retirement. Included at no additional charge: seizing your dreams, living boldly, and making a difference.

1. Chris on March 7, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Thanks for sharing Becky! We are about to head out West for out first extended stay away from home (workamping in Yellowstone). Can’t wait to get “out of Dodge” (as we await 2′ snow to fall out of the sky.) Stories like yours inspire us. Safe travels.

• Becky on March 8, 2018 at 9:02 pm

So glad to hear that IO has helped and inspired you Chris! Yellowstone is a fun place to work-camp, you’ll have a great time. Although depending on when your season starts there there’s still a pretty good chance for snow. But from experience, it’ll be snow in a new place, and therefor much more tolerable. 🙂

2. Nigel William on March 1, 2018 at 11:57 am

Ridiculous things do happen! Do you have a map to get there?
    Nigel William recently posted..How to make homemade DIY car wash liquid soap: Recipe with cheap & simple ingredientsMy Profile

• Becky on March 1, 2018 at 2:47 pm

To get where, to Font’s Point? Google Maps doesn’t show the road itself, just where the turnoff is. I couldn’t draw it out on a map no, but if you find the turnoff and follow the tracks up the wash it’s pretty clear. Just as I said, lots of loose sand.

3. Becky on February 22, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Thanks you two!

4. What a wonderful mindfulness/SAD project. How grateful you must be for the freedom to spend 37 days in places where you can always see the sunset and head for FHU when you need it.
    Sherry Currently Sweltering in the Winter Florida Heat recently posted..Exciting Wildlife Encounter at Oscar SchererMy Profile

5. Jodee Gravel on February 17, 2018 at 9:45 am

Love that first photo – it feels so peaceful. Great sunsets vid! Never fun to be sick on moving day. But great that a flexible life allows for waiting and extra day.

Font’s Point is such a beautiful spot, and even better when shared with friends. The crazier the better 🙂
    Jodee Gravel recently posted..Fun With Friends in ArizonaMy Profile

6. Rhonda on February 15, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Beautiful photos…every single one! What a lovely area. 🙂

• Becky on February 19, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Thanks Rhonda!

7. Alane on February 15, 2018 at 8:53 am

It’s great to see that you’ve made so many friends and have great time with them. I’m about to leave my hometown and begin a fulltime wandering existance and one fear is that I’ll be alone more than I like. Reading your blog and seeing how you have found community, and also reading your tips for making friends has been very reassuring. And these pictures really make the point. Love seeing them!

• Becky on February 15, 2018 at 12:35 pm

It takes time to build a community on the road Alane, but other nomads make the best of friends. Glad you enjoyed this!

8. Gloria on February 14, 2018 at 11:25 am

I’m noticing lots of flip flops…isn’t that dangerous for hiking? It looks like you are quite far up.

• Becky on February 15, 2018 at 12:33 pm

You don’t hike to get up here, it’s a 4×4 trail. 🙂

9. John Taylor on February 14, 2018 at 10:39 am

If you go to the Chamber of Commerce in Borrego Springs, you can get a schedule of all the ranger-led hikes and educational talks for the month.

• Becky on February 15, 2018 at 12:33 pm

Good tip!

10. Carl & Kathy on February 14, 2018 at 10:12 am

Hey Becky… the next time you’re in Anza Borrego go see Shelf Reef and look for the pay phone, tether ball, stainless steel toilet and dirt bike all out in the desert. You can also take the trail out to see Big Horn Sheep. Don’t miss all the metal sculptures in the area also. We’ll give you a guided tour next winter when we’re all in the area if you like!

• Becky on February 15, 2018 at 12:32 pm

I saw several of those things on last year’s visit, this sure is a fun place!

11. Scott on February 14, 2018 at 8:28 am

Love that area but it can be really windy.
    Scott recently posted..Another Borrego New YearMy Profile

12. Pamela Campbell on February 14, 2018 at 6:23 am

Having more fun and saving money! Wow. Great. I think I’ll check out that area, instead of heading right for Joshua Tree. Thanks for sharing, Becky. Happy Trails!
    Pamelab

• Becky on February 15, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Definitely worth a visit Pamela!

13. Jeff on February 13, 2018 at 6:56 pm

I tossed my dad’s ashes off Font’s Point, he has a great view of the sunset and I’m sure he enjoyed your visit, he’s just to the right of your sunset picture. You always put up a great post, enjoy Borrego!

• Becky on February 15, 2018 at 12:31 pm

I will Jeff, thanks!

14. Kelly Beasley on February 13, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Perfect statement: “ridiculous things happen”. 😂 Yup.
    Kelly Beasley recently posted..The RV Propane Regulator You Should Not BuyMy Profile

15. Judy on February 13, 2018 at 5:01 pm

I was telling my husband I wanted to go down to highway 8 and see the state park and I’d like to see Yuma also. He is too afraid being so close to the border. We are still in Quartzsite. We leave at the end of February. It’s a great loss for me. I’m glad you are feeling better. Thank you for the update.

• Becky on February 15, 2018 at 12:30 pm

Enjoy the rest of your time in Q! You’re welcome.

Have practical RVing advice and inspirational travel stories sent straight to your inbox.

Your email is safe with me and you can unsubscribe anytime.