South Dakota RV Residency Update – My Dakota Address Going Out of Business

This post should have been a travelogue about my journey up the coast of Oregon and Washington to the Olympic Peninsula (don’t worry, it’s still coming!) but a recent development with my mail forwarding company has thrown life into chaos the past two days.

On Tuesday the 24th I first heard whispers that My Dakota Address (MDA), which has been my (and many other full-time RVers) mail and domicile solution for years was closing its doors at of the end of this month. Having received no officially notice from MDA and seeing nothing on their website, I assumed this was just a rumor or at most an exaggeration. I fired off an e-mail to MDA and got a response back late in the afternoon – the rumors were true. Not only that but they were no longer accepting new mail as of yesterday the 25th.

I waited to break the news because the situation kept changing. There was talk of a different SD mail company buying out My Dakota Address, but that fell through today (the 26th) so it’s now official. My Dakota Address is closing.

This is, quite frankly, a pretty sucky situation to be in. With practically no warning like this it’s pretty much a guarantee that customers of My Dakota Address are going to lose mail while they get a new mail forwarding solution set up – the process takes time (see edit below!). Not to mention being legally homeless as of August 1st for those using that address as their domicile. I know at least one person who hasn’t even received notification from My Dakota Address yet about the closure, I might not have known myself if I hadn’t heard the rumor and e-mailed the company to ask.

EDIT 7/31: The USPS is implementing a forwarding process so that our mail isn’t returned to sender! The kicker is, we can’t use the online USPS Mail Forwarding tool to set this up. You have to actually physically go in to your nearest Post Office and fill out hard copy change of address card.

The New, New “What to do if you’re affected” checklist (On edit three I think now?)

1. Visit your nearest post office after July 31st and fill out a change of address card to get your mail forwarded to a different address. This will allow any mail that’s currently in transit to your My Dakota Address box to be automatically forwarded to a new address so it doesn’t get lost. Use a relative or friend’s address if you don’t already have a new mail forwarding box set up.
  2. If you haven’t gotten the closure e-mail from My Dakota Address yet, send an e-mail to them so you get the rundown on how to receive the last of the mail in your box. They’re no longer accepting new mail, but anything that was sitting in your box prior to the 25th can be mailed to you before the 31st, as long as you have money for postage in your account.

• Some people say they’ve gotten refunds for money in their postage account, some haven’t. This wasn’t an issue for me (I actually owed a bit of money for postage) but if it is for you you’ll want to ask about it in your e-mail!

1. That e-mail from MDA has a list of other South Dakota mail forwarding companies you can contact to move your mail and residency to. My Dakota Address is recommending DakotaPost (formerly known as Alternative Resources) which is one of three options that has been on my South Dakota mail and residency article since I was first preparing to hit the road in 2012. They’ve been around forever and they’ve got a good reputation, so I’m personally going with them. In 2012 I chose My Dakota Address because it was cheaper and I’m on a budget, but it sounds like DakotaPost is waiving their sign up fee for My Dakota Address customers and offering special rates similar to what we were paying. DakotaPost has also stated that they’re holding special office hours this Saturday the 28th from 10 am to 2 pm Central time to help get people signed up. America’s Mailbox and Your Best address also have special deals going to us MDA customers.

Other South Dakota mail forwarding companies (all have good reputations):

Had I known that Escapees now has a South Dakota mail forwarding/residency option I likely would have chosen them, given my satisfaction with the club the past couple years and Escapees’ reputation for speaking out on issues affecting RVers in the legal arena. They’re good people, I highly recommend!

1. If you’ve been thinking of switching residencies to another state, say for health insurance reasons, now might not be a bad time to do it. To be honest if I was anywhere near Florida I would seriously consider taking this forced opportunity to “move” there for true nationwide health coverage and let Escapees handle my mail forwarding and residency. Something to think about.

Other notes

• Yes, moving to a new county in South Dakota means registering your vehicles in the new county. Your new mail forwarding company should be able to help you with this.

• You WILL NOT have to drive back to South Dakota in person to change the address on your driver’s license, all you need to do is send an e-mail to get your address changed in the DMV records – it does not need to physically show on your license! But you can request a new license (for a fee) if you want one.

Don’t remember how setting up mail forwarding/residency in South Dakota works? My how-to article on this very subject is going to be due for an overhaul with all these new changes, but the basics/forms/etc are all still valid!

I’ll keep updating this post as new developments arise!

Lastly, a deep heartfelt thank you to my Patreon supporters and PayPal donators. It’s your support that allows me to drop whatever I’m doing to research situations like these and whip up articles about them quickly to help all of us!

Related Posts

Forget about what the world tells you your life should be like. At IO I teach people how to ditch the status quo and go full-time RVing before retirement. Included at no additional charge: seizing your dreams, living boldly, and making a difference.

1. Cheryl Patton on August 21, 2018 at 4:23 pm

I was one of the RVers who did not receive an email stating that they were closing and learned by a fluke. My registration tags expire at the end of this month, and to say I am just racing against time to figure out where they are sitting….well, it’s an adventure, that’s for sure.

2. Richard Clem on August 15, 2018 at 1:43 pm

I’m not a full-time RV’er, but I have been following this post since I used My Dakota Address. I just wanted to report that the USPS change of address seems to have worked. I had my doubts, since I wasn’t able to do it online, and the USPS change of address card went to a central address and not to the local post office.

Perhaps this wasn’t necessary, but instead of just dropping the card in the mailbox, I placed it in an envelope and mailed it to Postmaster, Madison SD 57042. (I actually sent two cards, one for my name, and one for my company name.) I assumed that the local postmaster would be more aware of the situation. I just received confirmation (mailed to my new address) from USPS that both changes of address have taken effect. I also received one piece of forwarded mail (a notice sent by my bank to the old address confirming my change of address).

So it looks like the mail forwarding is working. Also, a couple of people mentioned that they were out of the country and weren’t able to visit the post office. For anyone in that category, I would recommend getting a copy of the form and mailing it in an envelope to the Postmaster in Madison, SD.

• Becky on August 15, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Good info Richard, thanks for sharing!

3. eddie j on August 10, 2018 at 10:04 pm

I too am caught up in MDA closing. Talked to Teri on Monday before closing and she did confirm it was a financial problem. She was not sure about future refunds … wouldn’t hold my breath. I opened PO Box near where I’m currently staying and put in a COA with PO. Hope all goes smooth forwarding my mail. It’s only a temp fix … figure out next move later. Like being on the road, things are always changing and stuff happens. Good luck all.

• Becky on August 13, 2018 at 12:08 pm

I’m glad you found a temporary solution Eddie while you get something else set up.

4. John Warren Simpson on August 8, 2018 at 8:42 pm

I just found out today that the owner of my mail forwarding service in Pahrump NV passed away last week. So sad. She was a vry friendly anrd knowledgeable person. The business will cease operating the end of August. There is another company in Pahrump but they require a USPS form 1538 notarized to open the account. I am in Canada and was planning to be here until the end of September. The major complication is that my truck and trailer registration are due in September and I have no address.

• Becky on August 9, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Sorry to hear that John, and yes the 1538 form is a requirement for all US mail forwarding services. Someone else here in the comments mentioned being in Canada and being unable to get that form filled out, what a pain. I hope you find a good solution!

5. Rip on August 4, 2018 at 11:26 am

I’ve left several messages with My Dakota Post since 7/30, the date I received an email from My Dakota Address. They have not returned my calls. I am sure they are busy but I can’t believe they are so busy they can’t return a simple phone call in 5 days time. Maybe it’s a sign to use someone else. I’ve also sent an email to My Dakota Address demanding a return of my unused deposit of postage and pro rate my yearly fee. Have not heard back.

• Becky on August 4, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Sorry you’re having problems Rip, it’s a good thing there are several other options in SD for you to try. I hope you get your money back from My Dakota Address.

6. Sarah Shillinger on August 3, 2018 at 8:23 pm

I am finding the need for a mail forwarding service very confusing.I find the real ID requirements are just confusing the issue. How are you dealing with the need for an actual street address?

7. Gail K on August 3, 2018 at 12:47 pm

I do not recommend Americas Mailbox. When you try to cancel the service they do everything they can to make your life difficult, including demanding 90 days notice, including a photocopy of your drivers license. Which must be snail-mailed, not via email or online. Also, the USPS requires them to forward your mail to you (you still pay the postage) for 6 months after you cancel, but they don’t specify HOW. Americas Mailbox will hold all your mail for the six months (maybe…or maybe they’ll randomly refuse and return it) and send you one shipment at the end of that time. I tried to cancel last year but screwed up and had a couple important things end up in their mail purgatory so I was forced to renew. But this is definitely the last year. If I decide to keep an SD mailing address I’ll use Escapees. By the way, SD will happily mail your registration to an address elsewhere. You need to call the County Treasurers office in the county where you’re registered. The only caveat is that that address will show on the registration which may be an issue if you are having it sent to a high tax state that may try to get its hooks into you. I had mine sent to Florida so I wasn’t too worried about that.

• Becky on August 4, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Thanks for the registration info! And I’m sorry you had a bad experience Gail, that sounds like quite a mess.

8. Terry M Jenkins on August 2, 2018 at 4:22 pm

We had My Dakota Address and went with the company Teri suggested in the final email, Dakota Post. We called them and left a message and John from Dakota Post emailed us in less then 24 hours with all the forms attached. Filled them out emailed them back and had a new address in a few hours.

• Becky on August 4, 2018 at 3:52 pm

Glad everything went smoothly for you Terry.

9. Jo on August 1, 2018 at 9:39 pm

In reading up on escapees’ mail service, they actually have the mail go to their TX address and then charge $1 per item you have sent on to SD or FL.
    Our dilemma is we’re currently in Canada and no access to Physical USPS to do temp change of address. Oh what fun…

• Becky on August 4, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Yikes, I hadn’t thought of being out of country. If you’ve found a solution I’m sure others reading these comments would be interesting in hearing how you handled it!

10. FRANK POOLE on August 1, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Yah, learned about it 30th or so.
    Had VA Rx, Blood Thinners, arriving on Monday, email stated 25th then another date, End of Month to close, so figure it will be sent out.

Track from VA and USPS is holding.

Trying Dakota Post, initial email referred to website, confused on plans, costs. Due to short notice, no funds to change to them at $195 so doing the Temp thing, but not getting a response, obviously overwhelmed.
    Have Credit balance with Terri, no response from several emails sent. Lost funds, I suspect.
    What a mess… sigh..

(Thanks for the post Becky, no need to reply as I’m seeing you’re getting overwhelmed too.)

• Becky on August 4, 2018 at 3:50 pm

I hope you’ve gotten your medications by now Frank, what a mess!

11. Jennifer on July 31, 2018 at 8:02 pm

Do you know if escapees is waiving the enrollment fee?

• Becky on July 31, 2018 at 11:15 pm

No clue. You should contact them and ask!

12. Michelle on July 30, 2018 at 9:18 pm

This is the ONLY blog or post that I’ve been able to find in this situation. What a pain. I am affected but in a better position than most we just bought a stix and bricks and moving from full time status to “any” time status. We were in the process of changing our address over. Phew. I JUST received Sunday the 29th in thePM. Had NO IDEA this was happening. I responded to the email With a current address and didn’t hear anything. Call a few times, then finally got they to a “Sharon” new name. Gave my address she was curt( I am sure it hasn’t been a fun day for them) We have been a MDA customer for the last 5 years and Terri and the service provided has been nothing short of excellent. Whenever i asked Sharon if Terri was ok, “ she responded it wasn’t a health issue or anything and that this is probably for the best as she was work 7a- 10p every night? I am glad it’s not a health issue but I feel they have handled wrong AND as a customer I do believe they owe us some sort of explaination

• Becky on July 31, 2018 at 11:14 pm

Yeah, it was very poorly handled, and not Terri’s fault as far as I can tell. But as I’ve mentioned in other comments I doubt we’ll ever know what actually happened. I’m glad to hear you weren’t hit as bad as some of us!

13. Becky on July 30, 2018 at 2:07 pm

NOTICE TO THOSE SUBSCRIBED TO COMMENTS: There has been a new development and the blog post has been updated (and it’s good news, yay!).

• FRANK POOLE on August 1, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Huh? Where???
      Note finding it… thanks.

• FRANK POOLE on August 1, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Ok, got it, I think….

“…EDIT 7/31: The USPS is implementing a forwarding process so that our mail isn’t returned to sender! The kicker is, we can’t use the online USPS Mail Forwarding tool to set this up. You have to actually physically go in to your nearest Post Office and fill out hard copy change of address card….”

14. Kimberly on July 29, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Arrrrggghhh, I just got my email Saturday the 28th. This is quite stunning, so sudden and I had been with them for over 10 years. Fortunately in this day and age I get very little physical mail, but the lack of notice is quite disturbing. I wonder if we’ll ever know what happened. I always like Terri, very sad. Thank you for the blog post so helpful and all the recommendations from others for a new service.

• Becky on July 30, 2018 at 2:05 pm

Yeah Kimberly it was such a surprise! I heard the closure was due to financial reasons, but that could just be a rumor. You’re right that we’ll probably never know. I do know it wasn’t Terri’s decision and she was just as surprised when the word came down from her superiors.

15. Tom Rich on July 29, 2018 at 10:58 am

Hi – I’m one of the lucky folks impacted by this event. I was luckier than some in that my last mailing included our new tags for the coach and toad. But Terri never mentioned anything about the events that unfolded, even after I emailed her to ask about the rumors. But the past is the past.
    We have signed up with Your Best Address and so far they have been terrific. They waived the set up charge and we got a box number over the phone so I should experience a minimal effect from the change.
    Needless to say there was a mad flurry to contact financial and social entities with change of address information. The “big three” issues were drivers license, vehicle registration and voter registration. So far, so good. One thing South Dakota has going for it are responsive public employees! Responses to email questions were fast and usually accurate. Here’s what I have found out so far.
    Drivers License – You can update your address via email. The address on the license does not have to be up to date, only the records that the state has needs to be accurate. If you want your physical license to be accurate you can later apply for a duplicate license to be issued.
    Vehicle Registration – The Treasurers Office at Minnehaha County simply needs to know the information that was on file at Lake County so they can straighten it out between them.
    Voters Registration – We haven’t done this yet as we need to get the drivers license update first. We will then submit a form to cancel our Lake County registration, establish Minnehaha registration and request an absentee ballot.
    Nothing has required more than a phone call or email so it’s been relatively painless.
    We are going to miss Terri has she did super work for us for the nearly 7 years that we did business with her. She often went out of her way to provide special help to us. I am very disappointed in how the shut down occurred but I don’t know the whole story at this point. I have no idea if this was her issue or something beyond her control. Time will tell on that one.
    Hope this works out well for all of us.
    Tom

• Becky on July 30, 2018 at 2:03 pm

Great information Tom, thanks for sharing!

16. Tim on July 28, 2018 at 10:42 pm

That explains why Terri hasn’t answered my requests for getting a refund for $140+ in incorrect late fees and penalties for my vehicle registrations. The clerk that did my registrations used the wrong date on the bill of sale for my trailer which resulted in the late fees. Slipped right past the folks at MDA. I hadn’t heard a thing until seeing this post after doing a search to see if maybe there was an announcement about Terri leaving the company. Damn!

• Becky on July 30, 2018 at 2:01 pm

Ugh, what a hassle Tim, sorry you’re having to deal with that! I hope you get your refund. I know some people have gotten money back from My Dakota Address after the closure announcement.

17. Mary B. on July 28, 2018 at 1:37 pm

I stumbled on your blog and have really enjoyed all your posts – especially on fear and courage. My husband and I have been fulltiming since last October and we’re always looking for those kind of encouraging posts. You have a great ability to put into words so many of our feelings!
    Coincidentally we have been debating whether to become SD residents. Our mail has been forwarded to our daughters home in AZ, but the 1 year of forwarding by the USPO will expire in October. We’ve have been comparing costs of SD residency vs AZ residency. With the state income tax we think it would cost us about $1200 a year more to be AZ residents than SD. Been mulling over whether it’s worth it. On our current budget $1200 is a lot of money to us so we were leaning in that direction. This news of a mail service closing suddenly does raises doubts though. Still thinking –
    I was wondering Becky since you seem to be a big Escapees supporter (we are members too) just curious you didn’t consider using that service in SD?

• Becky on July 28, 2018 at 6:13 pm

As I said in the post I didn’t even know Esapees had a South Dakota option until yesterday, it didn’t exist when I became a full-timer in 2012. Had I known ahead of time that’s probably what I would have done. Although DakotaPost has been around since 1989, and I’m friends with one of the staff there too and they’re also a good company, so either way it all works out. Best of luck with whichever route you choose to go!

18. Trek N See on July 28, 2018 at 10:49 am

Just talked to My Dakota. As zi understand it They worked with the Post Office and mail has not been returned but is being held there. The P.O. is changing the street address to a private residence. Once completed you’ll be able to go online and enter a forwarding address.

Once the details are worked out, they will post the how to or send out an e-mail.

• Becky on July 28, 2018 at 6:10 pm

That sounds promising Trek N See, thanks for sharing! I also hope MDA does inform everyone this time on how to get their mail once this process is complete, communication has been rather lacking…

19. wesley albert ward on July 27, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Just signed on with MDA 2-3 weeks ago. I get almost no mail. However, I just sent a passport renewal application in on Tuesday using my MDA address. Those take 4-6 weeks, and I don’t think they can be forwarded. Quite the dilemma.

• Becky on July 28, 2018 at 6:08 pm

Then you’re in a similar boat as Shannon with important documents on the way and no place for them to go, so sorry you’re stuck in this position. Although if Trek n See above is correct we might all still be able to get our wayward mail. I really have no great insight, other than you might want to look around and see if there’s any way you can get the address amended on your passport renewal, since it went out just a couple days ago maybe it’s possible?

20. Shannon Strait on July 27, 2018 at 6:37 pm

I signed up for My Dakota Address July 22nd. There is either rumor that they announced there closure July 25th. Why did they take my money(278.00) if they were closing. I had my mail forwarded tgere. I sent in the paperwork to have plates for my husband’s truck, my SUV and our RV which is expired. This information sat on her desk and she did nothing with it, but they did take the funds to get all the plates. So my concern is will I be getting my refund,? I’m in the middle of buying a condo and used this address. Will this hinder my condo purchase? How the heck do I remember who I gave this address to!!! I’m contacting an attorney on Monday.

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 9:17 pm

I’m so sorry Shannon, what a pain that is! I don’t know the answer to your questions, but I think you did the right thing in seeking legal counsel, you may also need to contact someone in the housing industry to ask about the condo. Your situation is pretty unique. I hope you get a good resolution soon and your money back!

21. Jeff on July 27, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Becky I’m a Dakota Post customer and I just found out about their closing and of course I’m scrambling to figure out what to do. I wrote them and asked for more information about what it is I should do and about money in the rear. I haven’t heard back from them as of yet. Thank you for all your information and the heads up.

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 9:14 pm

My Dakota Address customer you mean? I imagine they’re getting swamped with customer messages, hopefully they do the right thing and keep on top of communications and get back to you soon! You’re welcome for the info.

22. Barney Ward on July 27, 2018 at 5:02 pm

Just a bit of a fact not a push for a certain agency. I have been an Escapee for 22 years without a single complaint.

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 9:13 pm

No doubt, Escapees takes care of their people. 🙂

23. Diana L on July 27, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Two thoughts after reading others’ comments…

1) There is a difference between your MAILING address and your domicile address. They are often the same, but do not HAVE to be the same, nor even in the same state. So if you are stuck far away from South Dakota, you can just as easily get a mail forwarding service where you currently are, as a temporary measure to receive your mail, while you sort out your new SD service and domicile address.

2) I was told by another traveler/full timer that the US Post Office offers mail scanning for free, meaning you can see your incoming mail online. I have the mail scanning through my service and it’s so convenient to know what’s in my mailbox – helps me judge when to forward it! But I paid a lot for the scanning :(. I have not thoroughly checked out the USPS one, but may be worthwhile for those looking at new mail service.

Hope that helps some of you, and if I’m wrong about either comment, please let me know!! 🙂

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Thanks for sharing Diana. I recommended using a friend or relative as a temporary measure because there’s no paperwork or cost involved then but yes, setting up mail forwarding in the state a person happens to be in is also an option! As for your second point, most mail forwarding companies these days offer a mail scanning service – usually their highest cost plan. DakotaPost does this (and I choose this option) and My Best Address and Escapees do as well. Still good to point out.

24. Bobbi Waggoner on July 27, 2018 at 3:34 pm

I have been very happy with “Your Best Address”. In fact I was just online looking at my mail. The tough part of not having a service like this is not only needing an address in my domiciled state but also much of my state documents (voter registration, auto registration, etc) still are sent to a physical address in that state.

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 9:07 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience Bobbi. It sucks losing My Dakota Address but we are lucky in South Dakota to have several other good options to choose from.

25. Linda Sand on July 27, 2018 at 3:26 pm

The newest rumor is this was a government mandated shut down. I wonder if we will ever really know what happened?

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Probably not! I’ve heard several rumors, none with any facts to back them.

26. Alan Belisle on July 27, 2018 at 11:32 am

I started using Dakota Post almost three years ago and am very satisfied with their service. There may be a couple of tweaks I would suggest for the web site, but overall, it is very easy to use. The Virtual Mailbox shows you everything that has arrived so you can have it opened and scanned, or shredded, or mailed out. If there are any questions, the support line is staffed by very nice, knowledgeable staff. The only time I ever had a delivery delayed was when I had it sent to Quebec, and that was because US customs pawed it over for a week. I would highly recommend Dakota Post.

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Glad to hear you’ve had a good experience with DakotaPost Alan. We are lucky that there are several mail companies in South Dakota that are good options to choose from.

27. Tom Olson on July 27, 2018 at 11:18 am

We got our notification last night, I am dismayed by this event. I am retired from the postal service, and folks seriously need to be contacting the postal inspectors service about this sudden and seemingly final breach of contract.

I can tell you that USPS never liked the mail forwarding service. They did not like surrendering control of the US mail to 3rd party providers.

We recently bought a sticks and bricks so most of our mail has already been pulled out. I feel so sorry for those who are still full timing and have to deal with this fiasco.
    Tom

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Sounds like you had good timing Tom! Glad to hear most of your mail was already moved to a new address.

28. Tina on July 27, 2018 at 10:53 am

Oh no!!! Really sorry to hear this news, very little warning and they really did handle this badly. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 11:16 am

You’re welcome Tina.

29. Amanda on July 27, 2018 at 10:18 am

Ugh! Thanks so much for sharing this info. We just heard about the closing from someone else last night. Have been with My Dakota Address for five years and have not yet received any email or notification. Such a disappointment! The only possible benefit I can see right now is that when we switch to Dakota Post (our new choice as well) we will finally have the ability to request our mail via email! Good luck with the change.

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 11:16 am

I’ve gone with DakotaPost’s Virtual Mailbox option as well and am looking forward to it. Sorry you never received notification Amanda, I don’t see how My Dakota Address could have failed to notify so many people, gaaaah.

30. Diana L on July 27, 2018 at 9:14 am

Wow, that’s shocking, sorry to hear that! I went full-time last Sept and considered MyDakotaAddress after speaking to the woman at the office – she was so incredibly helpful. I ended up with one of the Rapid City businesses instead, America’s Mailbox (which I am looking to change). I spoke with a fellow gentleman full-timer a couple of months ago who loved MDA and highly recommended them, too.

I thought Escapees had a South Dakota address available, in Box Elder/Rapid City… and internet says they still do. That seems the ideal situation if you’re a member of Escapees and need a new SD domicile.

For all the MDA customers, so sorry about that. The situation definitely makes me reconsider who I do my business with. It’s painful they never gave their customers a heads up, but my experience with businesses that went bankrupt – they’re unfortunately not that interested in customer service at that point.

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 11:12 am

Yes, I’d had absolutely no issue with My Dakota Address up until the closure announcement and had been a happy customer for years. I’ve updated the article with the Escapees SD info (something I hadn’t heard of until you and a couple other people pointed it out to me this morning!)

31. David Ainley on July 27, 2018 at 8:33 am

Thank you, Becky. While this does not affect me, personally, it reminds me of how valuable blogs are. Your time, effort and expense to maintain this blog site is of enormous benefit to many and greatly appreciated.
    David, in a bus called HANNAH.

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 11:08 am

Thank you David, it’s always nice to hear that one’s effort is appreciated. 🙂

32. Patricia Neuzil on July 27, 2018 at 8:29 am

We were one of those affected and luckily just happen to be in SD now so we drove 2 hours to pick up our mail and then went to Sioux Falls to sign up with Your Best Address. We were impressed with their services and they are the forwarder FMCA uses so all members get a discount. Yes, definitely a sucky situation!

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 11:07 am

Well that was great timing Patricia! Glad you got things sorted out in person. 🙂

33. frater secessus on July 27, 2018 at 7:30 am

I thought forwarders were required to receive/forward for 6months? They might get in trouble with the feds.

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 11:06 am

I mentioned that in the article. I think special conditions apply since they’re folding.

34. Warren R. Johnson on July 27, 2018 at 7:01 am

I regret the exeriences that you are going through with your mail. I’m not yet on the road, but I thought I would also use My Dakota Address. Guess not. Actually, I’m wondering if we might not see more of these closures. In preparation to going on the road, I’ve reduced my mail considerably. I use electronic mail when I can; I no longer get much physical mail. Still, we’ll need to have a legal address. However, if fewer people are signing up for a mail forwarding service and/or are choosing the least expensive plan (because they’ll be gitting less mail), these services will likely suffer. I hope a workable source will be available for all of us.

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 11:06 am

Well, there are still plenty options out there for now Warren! I switched most of my mail to electronic as well, so I’m not in as big of trouble as I think some MDA customers will be.

35. Norm H. on July 27, 2018 at 6:48 am

So sorry! What a mess. FWIW. We were very happy with America’s Mail Box during our time as SD residents. No wheel tax in Pennington County, either. DMV very close to AMB’s office as well, if those services are needed. Good luck to everyone needing to change.

• Becky on July 27, 2018 at 11:04 am

Thanks Norm!

Have practical RVing advice and inspirational travel stories sent straight to your inbox.

Your email is safe with me and you can unsubscribe anytime.