Almost Fearless (and Casita Sale Announcement!)

August 23, Thursday

“Oh please let this work, oh please let this work…” Runs my internal monologue as I turn the key in Bertha and start her up for a test run into the Cascades. Yesterday I got her into a shop here in Redmond, OR where they diagnosed a leaking hose as the cause of my coolant (and overheating) woes coming up to Mt Hood earlier this month.

Let me pause for a moment here and explain how my brain works when something goes wrong on the road. RVers and non-RVers alike sometimes mistakenly believe that I’m fearless, and that’s how I managed to hit the road full-time at the tender age of 28 and how I’ve managed to make this lifestyle work as a solo woman for all these years.

I am not fearless.

What I am is able to act despite my fear. And part of my process is considering that when something goes wrong, that it’s potentially something horribly majorly wrong. I don’t do this to wallow in my misfortune, but to get my brain thinking about what the next steps would be for the worst case scenario. Doing this exercise makes the worst case scenario less scary. It turns it from something nebulous and insurmountable to just another problem to deal with.

So when Bertha overheated due to coolant loss driving up to Mt Hood and again on the way to Redmond for the Xscapers Convergence, I googled the problem and read up on the wide of variety of issues that could be causing it. What I didn’t share last travelogue (two posts ago) is that while Bertha was clearly losing coolant, I wasn’t seeing any puddles on the ground. The mighty Google informed me that could indicate an internal leak: the coolant could be leaking into the oil (coolant doesn’t make a good lubricant, so that’s bad), or it could be coming out the exhaust (indicating a head gasket issue, also bad). And by bad I mean expensive.

Bertha’s oil didn’t look contaminated nor was it higher than usual and I wasn’t noticing white, sweet smelling exhaust out the tail pipe, but I accepted that those were possibilities. So when I took her into the shop yesterday I already had a list in in my mind of what I would do if the problem was something catastrophic, up to and including scrapping Bertha, selling Cas early right here in Oregon, and buying a new vehicle to take to Denver to go pick up my teardrop next month. While that may sound a little extreme for a problem I didn’t understand yet, it reduced the fear a lot. I already had a plan in place for the worst case scenario. It wouldn’t be fun, but I could handle it.

I wasn’t in the shop for long before I was called back into the work bay to witness what was happening. The coolant was leaking from a hose (radiator hose I believe) in such a place that the coolant was getting caught by the trim at the bottom of my bumper – hence no puddle on the ground. When driving, going around curves would cause the coolant to slide off the trim, but when stationary it would pool there.

The hose replacement was relatively cheap and fast, I left the shop shortly after.

But even then I didn’t consider myself out of the woods. The engine did truly overheat once, there could be side effects from that. The leaking hose might have been secondary to another problem.

And so I find myself today, whispering a mantra of hope to myself as I turn Bertha on and point her nose west up into the mountains. We travel up past the town of Sisters and I continue onto 242, a narrow squiggly little road not recommended for RVs, in fact there’s a length limit of 35 feet.

Up, up we go, into a pine forest that is blackened in a large swath from a wildfire last year. The smoke is pretty bad today so the views are nothing to write home about, but that’s not the point of this trip. Farther up the forest disappears under an old lava flow.

The needle on the engine temp gauge never moves. I find myself at McKenzie pass about an hour later, staring at Dee Wright Observatory, an interesting structure made from lava rock. At the top is a dial with hands that point to nearby mountains, it’s a neat place.

Bertha lost no coolant from the drive today. I won’t feel completely at ease until I tow the trailer with no problems, but I’m feeling better. This is what almost fearless looks like – there is still concern for something going wrong, but it does not derail my plans. Instead I use that fear as the tool it was intended to be – to teach me caution, to test a solution before putting all my weight behind it.

In real time, today is September 6th, I hope you had a great Labor Day Weekend! It’s a very special week for me, because this week the pieces of my teardrop are starting to be assembled! After over 10 months of waiting, the next phase of my nomadic journey is about to start.

I’ll be picking up my new teardrop in Denver, CO later this month, probably the week of the 24th. And now that the time is nearing, it’s time to look for a buyer for Cas. He’s treated me very well as a rolling home, and I’m looking forward to passing him on to some other lucky person or couple who will get to make their own wonderful memories in him. If you’re not interested in hearing the details you can stop reading here and I’ll catch you next post. If you are, read on.

Cas may be picked up from Denver or Leadville, Colorado after I’ve gotten the teardrop, moved all my belongings over, and cleared out the rest – probably near the end of the month. He’s being sold as-is, I’ll clean up after everything is out, but I want there to be no misunderstandings here: Cas is 19 years old, he has been lived in for six years now. He has been to a lot of amazing places and seen a lot of beautiful things, and it shows. All appliances work, there are no major problems. But as with any older RV there are several smaller things that do or will need attention, that’s the nature of RV upkeep. You can click here for his listing on Fiberglass RV with all the details and a bunch of recent pictures.

Parked at the Xscapers Convergence in Redmond

I made a full video tour of Cas last year, and that can be found here on YouTube. He is a ’99 Spirit Deluxe, you can learn more about the Spirit Deluxe model on Casita’s website. You can also find more about him on the About Page here on IO, at the bottom are links to several posts I’ve written about Cas and full-timing in a Casita.

I’m selling him for $6,500 firm. If interested please contact me using my Contact Form. Alternately, if you’re not interested in Cas but live in or have connections in or near Denver, I’m also looking for a place where I can do this rig switch and would love to have some help in that department!

Thank you everyone for coming along on this journey, and a special thanks to my Patreon supporters and PayPal donators! Here’s to the next chapter!

P.S. – A new YouTube video also went up today, a roundtable with me and two other solo women full-timers answering questions about RV and van living, you can find that here.

Related Posts

Forget about what the world tells you your life should be like. At IO I teach people how to ditch the status quo and go full-time RVing before retirement. Included at no additional charge: seizing your dreams, living boldly, and making a difference.

1. Roxanne Charlson on September 16, 2018 at 10:39 am

I’m on the road now with Eggetha, my Casita, and the learning curve has been really steep, but I’m hanging in there. You were an inspiration to me when I was only dreaming of this life, Becky, and you continue to inspire me with your advice about handling problems. Thank you!

• Becky on September 16, 2018 at 2:51 pm

So glad to hear you’re settling in Roxanne, and I’m glad to hear that you’re still finding IO helpful. 🙂 You’re quite welcome!

2. Norm H on September 7, 2018 at 6:21 pm

So happy that your overheating woes turned out to be the hose. And, yes, the pooling of the leaking antifreeze makes sense.
    My DW and I are sharing in your sense of anticipation in soon taking possession of your new home. We will be picking up our new 2018 SD in Rice, TX, the first week of October. We wish you all the best in selling yours and for a smooth transition from one to the other. We’re excited to see what adventures your new rig goes on. (Just FYI, we will be part-timers, not full-timers.). Happy and safe trails.

• Becky on September 8, 2018 at 4:15 pm

How exciting Norm! I bet you’re counting down the days. I’m sure you’ll be just as happy with your Casita as I’ve been with mine. Journey well.

3. Rene Kipp on September 7, 2018 at 2:30 pm

How fortunate that it was just a hose! Our truck needed a new DEF system when we were on the road. Thankfully we were able to find a nearby campground with a great view of the Mississippi River and a rental car while our truck was in the shop. Best of luck with the sale of Cas.

• Becky on September 7, 2018 at 4:21 pm

Well one time it was a head gasket, so I guess this evens things out Rene, haha. Glad you found a good campground while getting repairs done. Thanks!

4. John on September 7, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Glad to hear that you are able to delay replacing the tow vehicle. Expect the worst, hope for the best. But it’s always a bonus when the best happens.

• Becky on September 7, 2018 at 4:19 pm

It sure is.

5. Jodee Gravel on September 7, 2018 at 12:02 pm

I too feel better if I’m prepared for bad news. We’ve been fortunate to have no issues on the road, only things that break in a campground. And we’ve always been able to drive to repairs so that’s a blessing. Being solo and facing those issues requires more bravery I think, and having a plan that calms you is key. I’m not surprised you’ve mastered that. Sure makes a bad hose feel like a gift! That metal wheel at the summit is wonderful, although the view is sad with the reality of recent fires.
    How exciting to be close to making the big change to the smaller rig. Good look finding new parents for Cas.

• Becky on September 7, 2018 at 4:19 pm

Glad you’ve had no major issues Jodee. Yes, the smoke is pretty sad, although it’s cleared up quite a bit now since those photos were taken which is good. Thanks and yes, looking forward to new adventures!

6. Kit Frost on September 7, 2018 at 10:36 am

Hi Becky, I’m sitting in “the big pause” after my tow vehicle completely died. My mechanic says its a loss and to sell it for parts (2003 jeep GCherokee). My cherry baby has served me well, towing my 18 foot TT for the past 4 years. I say I’m in the “big pause” because although safe when it broke down, I was picking up my trailer and had to leave it where it was for a few days until I could borrow a TV. Life is good, and the main problem is that it’s always important to keep a “cushion” for such issues. I’ll see how it goes over the next week as I shop for a beefier truck to tow with. Thanks for your comment about facing the fear, and making it through those times when we are on the side of the road thinking the worst case.

• Becky on September 7, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Sorry to hear about your Jeep, Kit. Bertha is a 2001 with 190,000 miles and I know it’s only a matter of time. But it seems like she’s going to make it until I get the teardrop and that was always my goal. I agree with the importance of having an emergency fund for such issues. Happy shopping!

7. Judy Blinkenberg on September 7, 2018 at 9:39 am

I am thankful it was a simple fix for you and did not break the bank. On our Ford truck being a diesel, and an 06, we put a bunch of money in cooling, called Bullet Proof Diesel. So far it is better than our 2018 trailer that is falling apart. I pray your new little guy is made better than these Jayco trailers. We do the repairs ourselves. You stay safe out there on the road, and thankful prayers coming your way.

• Becky on September 7, 2018 at 4:14 pm

Thanks Judy. I hope your trailer woes turn around, it’s not unusual for new RVs to have issues, but you seem to have more than most.

8. Denny Johnson on September 7, 2018 at 9:21 am

I can’t imagine how excited you are about getting your new trailer. As a Casita owner myself, I’m wondering what it was about a teardrop that helped you decide on going that direction?

9. sdw on September 7, 2018 at 7:40 am

Best wishes on the new Teardrop.
    But I think waxing Cas at this point would be a waste of time.
    The paint on our older RVs is not great and will oxidize in a couple of years
    without wax. Wax only last about 3 to 4 months so it’s a lot of work on an
    RV. When you get the new trailer you might try a wax called “NU-Finish”. It
    claims to last a year and I found out on mine that it does. Then pick up a gallon
    of “Protect all” at camping world. You can do everything on your truck and rig with
    it. The tires, windows, chrome, paint job, I even wipe some down windshield wiper
    blades and they last for years if you keep doing it ever couple of months. on the
    windshield it works like RainX. The best part is there’s no buffing to do just wipe it
    on and that’s it. It will keep you wax lasting for years.

• Becky on September 7, 2018 at 4:11 pm

Thanks for the advice sdw.

10. SHERRI D. BURRIS on September 6, 2018 at 6:20 pm

I really enjoy learning about your adventure. Sorry you had troubles, but glad all is good.

• Becky on September 7, 2018 at 4:10 pm

Me too Sherri! Thanks for following along.

Have practical RVing advice and inspirational travel stories sent straight to your inbox.

Your email is safe with me and you can unsubscribe anytime.