The One Thing (It’s My Sixth Nomadiversary!)

It’s my sixth nomadiversary today, hoorah! Not the anniversary of when I started living in the Casita, which was late April 2012, but it was on September 14th of that year that I actually started traveling full-time.

And in celebration, today I thought I’d share another tool that I used to make my transition to full-time RVing more manageable. In the final months leading up to hitting the road, most people experience doubt to some degree – which isn’t surprising considering all the work that needs to be done to live this lifestyle.

Let me introduce you to the concept of The One Thing.

This may sound familiar to some of you, that’s because it’s a book, authored by Gary W. Keller and Jay Papasan. In short, the book talks about the value of simplifying one’s workload by focusing on the one most important task in any given project. It actually was published the year after I hit the road, but looking back, I can see that this is one of the ways I made going full-timing easier on myself.

Think about your greatest fear about hitting the road, the one thing that is providing most of the concern. As a working-aged person who wasn’t independently wealthy and who didn’t have a travel-friendly job, my biggest fear was running out of money. I had an emergency fund saved up to cover unexpected expenses, but that wasn’t enough to ease my worry. So I thought to myself, what’s the number one thing I could do to feel better about the financial side of full-timing.

For me, that was lining up my first work-camping job months before I hit the road.

I specifically timed my departure for mid-September, so that my first work-camping gig would be Amazon shortly thereafter. I’d done enough research on Amazon CamperForce to have a pretty good idea of the kind of money I’d make, I applied and landed the job in June. So no matter how hectic those weeks leading up to my departure date were with getting all the logistics taken care of, at least I didn’t have to worry about money right away.

So if you’re getting ready to go full-time RVing, what’s The One Thing you can do to make the process easier on yourself?

Cas is still looking for a new home! Or perhaps more accurately, a new person or couple to be a home for. He’ll be available for pickup in Denver, CO later this month, here’s his listing on Fiberglass RV for more details.

Thank you PayPal donators and the Interstellar Orchard Inner CircleΒ for your support!

Related Posts

Forget about what the world tells you your life should be like. At IO I teach people how to ditch the status quo and go full-time RVing before retirement. Included at no additional charge: seizing your dreams, living boldly, and making a difference.

1. Diane Ely on September 18, 2018 at 2:52 pm

Becky: This is a little off-topic (relating to this particular post) – are you going to be working this fall at Amazon or beets? Have you reached the point where you don’ t have to anymore?

• Becky on September 18, 2018 at 3:13 pm

I’m not work-camping this fall Diane. Honestly, I’m not really at the point yet where I don’t have to work-camp, but I’m making it work anyway. We’ll see how things look next year. πŸ™‚

2. Pam on September 16, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Sounds like great advice for newnie, thanks.

• Becky on September 16, 2018 at 3:01 pm

You’re welcome Pam!

3. Sandy on September 16, 2018 at 10:23 am

Thanks for the link to a book that inspired you. But, can I recommend that you put a link to your wonderful ebook in posts like this? Your book is a huge help to people considering the full-time RV lifestyle

• Becky on September 16, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Not a bad idea Sandy!

4. Cinn on September 15, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Happy Nomadiversary!

• Becky on September 16, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Thanks Cinn!

5. Reine in Princeton, Tx when not camping. on September 15, 2018 at 10:42 am

I don’t think you mention anywhere that Cas has a new fridge and if I remember correctly a new water heater. Since those are critical appliances having them 2 or 3 years old instead of 19 is a huge plus.

• Becky on September 16, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Yes, I’m putting real sales ads up today and all that information will go in them. πŸ™‚

6. Norm H. on September 15, 2018 at 9:58 am

Wow! Six years already. I remember coming across your blog just as you were getting ready to launch. You were, and remain, an inspiration for young aspirants to the RV-ing life as well as for those of us of the older generation. Keep on keeping on! My DW and I look forward to your soon-to-begin next six years of RV life and adventures.

• Becky on September 16, 2018 at 2:59 pm

Thanks for following along for so many years Norm. Looking forward to sharing this next chapter with you. πŸ™‚

7. SDW on September 15, 2018 at 8:21 am

My biggest fear would be what am I going to live on when I’m too old to RV,
    since I wouldn’t be putting enough money into social security to qualify for it.
    Where could I work when in less than 20 years all the Amazon jobs and jobs
    that other RV’ers do, will be done by robots. They already have a machine that
    can tell if a tomato is ripe and pick it. So If it can pick something as critical as a tomato
    It can pick anything. Goodbye California migrate workers. They already have a robot that can run across the room and jump up on a table an jump off, run up and down stairs, go over to a 100 lb box and pick it up and set it on a shelf. So that robot will be doing what Becky did at Amazon in 5 years. When you get older and start having medical complications. What then? Kinda reminds me of the “Grasshopper and the Ant” story.
    Sorry for sounding kinda negative but I’ve been camping for 56 years and RVing for 15 years and still am at 70. So I’ve been around long enough to know a little something about it. Guess I’m more of the ANT kinda person:)

8. Jodee Gravel on September 15, 2018 at 7:41 am

At the time we launched we didn’t have the grand kids yet – missing them would have been our biggest concern, but as it was we really didn’t have any. Three years later and while we sure miss those babies we have zero regrets.

• Becky on September 16, 2018 at 2:54 pm

Thanks for sharing Jodee.

9. Terri on September 15, 2018 at 4:58 am

Congratulations!!! Excited for you to take on this new step in your journey. And I think my fear of running out of money would also be my biggest fear, so I would have done the same thing as you and lined up a job way in advance. That and hoard cash. πŸ™‚

Love the photo in your header!

• Becky on September 16, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Thanks Terri! That’s one of my favorite photos of Cas. πŸ™‚

10. EmilyO on September 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm

Have you put anything on Fiberglass RV 4 Sale site?

• Becky on September 16, 2018 at 2:52 pm

Today’s project is getting it listed on those kinds of sites. πŸ™‚

11. Fred on September 14, 2018 at 5:17 pm

You should advertise the trailer on casitaforum.com.

• Becky on September 16, 2018 at 2:52 pm