Halloween and November

October 25, Friday

After a fun couple weeks in the Salt Lake City area with Marshall and Kelly (there was even a trip to a trampoline park!), we part ways and I continue on my own south and east for another good Halloween weekend in Fruita, CO with a different group of camping friends. Shenanigans ensue.

There’s food, drinks, Halloween dress up, and even a little bit of mountain biking. This is the second time I’ve met up with these people for this event, and I’m glad I came.

And then… November.

My Patreon community has been in on this for a while now, but November was suppose to kick off a six week trip to Baja, Mexico with yet a different group of RVing friends. But it fell through due to mechanical difficulties with the organizer’s rig.

I was really looking forward to this trip, both for myself and for all the new content it would have given me for the blog and YouTube channel. Instead, I’ve found myself camping in the same old haunts I’ve spent every winter at since early 2016 when I started boondocking. Which means, no new locations to cover.

Which brings me to a serious question.

On my end, it feels redundant to talk about the same camping spot multiple times, I don’t want to bore you with repetition as I know your lives are just as busy as mine is. But I know some of you are newer and probably haven’t read those earlier articles, and others may enjoy the yearly refresher. Do you want to see new posts about places I’ve covered in previous years or no? Let me know in the comments below.

But moving on, November was quiet and nothing new, but otherwise pretty good.

I spent all of it camping alone, which is the first time I’ve spent this long a chunk of time traveling solo in quite a while! I love boondocking with my friends and getting together for hikes and trips into town and other fun, but I still also very much value my me time, just sitting in my big chair with a book and reading under a clear desert sky, and watching the shadows change on the mountains. It’s a slow life. It’s nothing glamorous. But I still just can’t get enough of it. Some people dread spending time alone with themselves, I rather like my own company.

No cameraman necessary, I use a tripod to capture photos of myself when traveling solo

I’ve seen some nice sunsets in November, reacquainted myself with the desert via frequent walks, and marveled at the peace and quiet that comes from camping solo in remote places. Of course it’s not always rainbows and roses on the road. I struggled to find good enough cell signal to get work done part of the month, had one of my shoes chewed up by a nocturnal critter (okay, that one was 100% my fault for leaving my shoes outside overnight, haha!), and had a couple rainy days that kept me cooped up inside when I’d have rather be wandering free. But all in all, a good enough month.

Probably the hardest part of November was the self criticism.

This is the time of year when my creativity ebbs and the motivation for creative projects is at it’s lowest. It would probably be diagnosed as Seasonal Affective Disorder if I went to a doctor, and it’s something I’ve had for years (here’s my write up about it from two years ago if you want to know more).

You see, at this point I’m very, very close to having Work-camping For A Living ready. The book is 100% written and edited. I’m working with someone in the industry now to get it formatted for kindle and paperback. I’m so close! And I really want it done, so I can share the wisdom from all those years I spent work-camping with all of you nomad hopefuls out there who are curious about work-camping as a way to fund your own RVing lifestyle. I know this guide is going to help a lot of people, and I’m very proud of it. But progress is slow, and I’ve been beating myself up about that a bit.

But it is coming! So thank you all for your patience and all I can say right now is, I’m doing the best I can. It’ll be ready when it’s ready, and I’ll keep chipping away at it as I’m able. πŸ™‚

Which brings us to December.

Fall has ended and consistent cold weather is once more forcing us full-time road nomads to the warmer parts of the country where our paths are much more likely to cross. RVer social season is underway, and I’ve already met up with a couple of my RV friends, with more on the way. The month of quiet contemplation is over, now it’s time for a month of social abundance! What are your plans for December?

Thank you Patreon Inner Circle members, Paypal donators, and every single one of you reading this right now, for all the support!

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

American Girl Mine and the Holidays

January 16, 2020 |

The free camping area along American Girl Mine Road in Winterhaven, CA (usually just called AGM by boondockers), doesn’t seem to have a lot going for it at first glance. It’s pretty far from the closest town (Yuma, just across the border in Arizona), it’s flat and has little vegetation… even for a desert, and…

Joshua Tree Teaser and Caulking

March 15, 2016 |

March 11, Friday I open my eyes in the morning, and immediately know something is off. Where is the sun? It’s a rare overcast day in the desert. Around noon the wind is suppose to pick up, the park is under a wind advisory. Well, not making any day trips today. Luckily there are other…

Spring Weather

April 29, 2014 |

Ka-boom! Thunder rattles the Casita and I am wide awake, it’s 4 am. A thin line of strong storms pushed through yesterday evening as night was falling, a hint of things to come. Julie and I were hanging out with some of our fellow rennies and we all joked around, wondering if Student Day would…

1. Michael on December 22, 2019 at 5:06 pm

I check in here often and have camped at some of the spots you frequent. I have noticed that places change with time, the number of folks camping, the regulation and of course conditions. I past your camp today in an area I have used for years which shall remain nameless. The changes there are immense though not surprising. Hope the weather improves for the holidays. Have a Merry Christmas and interesting new year.

2. Norm H. on December 11, 2019 at 10:11 pm

After six weeks from TN to the West Coast and back in our Casita, I’m just catching up on your blog! Yes, please continue to write about where you camp. Things change as we discovered in visiting some of the same camps we used last Spring. No, you won’t bore us. Been following you from your start. Not stopping now. :). Enjoy the December season of activity. I’m a bit envious of your quiet month; ours was filled with family and friends. Very nice, but a little tough on an old introvert. Happy Holidays to you wherever the trail takes you.

3. Mike on December 10, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Becky, it’s unfortunate that you missed out on the Baja trip but please don’t be concerned about any blog content that we readers may have missed. This is your journey, not ours. Your blog means a lot to many folks and your readers would hate to see you succumb to blogger burnout.

I’m your blog fan because I enjoy reading your thoughts and feelings concerning intentional living. Does revisiting certain boondocking locations lend some sense of home to your journey?

4. Sharon Wisinger on December 9, 2019 at 8:20 am

I don’t get many blogs but I enjoy yours. New reviews would be okay. Your book sounds interesting.

5. Barbara from Camano Island on December 8, 2019 at 12:08 am

Yes, I would love to see the places you are camping. Repeats are great! And thanks for all your work in creating this blog. I really do enjoy hearing about your adventures.

6. Quinn on December 7, 2019 at 6:30 pm

I would definitely like to hear about your camps, new or old! It would be interesting to see how things have changed (or not) over the years. I know I’ve stayed in parks in Vermont in a tent and then “upgraded” to sleeping in my Rav4 and there is a big difference in how I set up camp. I’m sure it is the same for you going from a Casita to a squaredrop. Have you thought about getting a pop up tent, like a Clam Quick-Set, so you have some more space when it rains? I can’t wait to start full-timing so I can see the southwest! Your pictures are great!

• Becky on December 7, 2019 at 8:46 pm

Thanks for responding Quinn! I have looked into various types of shelters, from pop-ups to screen tents to awnings of all kind, and to be honest, they’re all a bit iffy for the kind of camping I like to do. Out west, rain often comes with strong winds which means either having a super duty structure with strong tie downs (which equates to lots of set up time), or having something that you either don’t care if it gets damaged or can pull down in a hurry. I’m torn on the subject, figuratively speaking. πŸ˜‰

7. Mrs Thompson on December 7, 2019 at 5:47 pm

I concur with the comments above : definitely write about repeat visits…the location is the same but different weather, experiences, sights, etc. Looking forward to your new book — be patient with yourself, as no author I know has ever had their book published promptly ☺️

• Becky on December 7, 2019 at 8:41 pm

Thanks for responding Mrs. Thompson! I actually did pretty good with my second book, got that one finished in about a year, haha. But all books are different I’ve come to discover. πŸ™‚

8. Paul E Pfeiffer on December 7, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Becky, I’m 64. As far as you repeating your stop locations–have at it! We all have our reasons for checking in on you. I want to camp/travel (with my wife) when I retire. (less than a year) If your life wasn’t interesting we wouldn’t be interested in the first place. I am enjoying your adventure vicariously. I am also very interested in your tips and experiences also. If I can learn something from you, then I have a better idea what I want to accomplish and how to go about it. I say don’t worry about us (your followers). We found you BECAUSE we are interested in camping, boondocking, full time RVing, and seeing this great country ourselves. I think everything you write is interesting, for one reason or another.
    BTW, have you heard of the Hour Shower? You should check that out. (on line) If it’s as good as it seems, then there will definitely be one in my camper. (I want to build my own) (camper) That’s a whole other list of blogs. I may be crazy, but I think I can. I’m not famous for keeping on a schedule, so I might have to buy one while I build one. Paul

• Becky on December 7, 2019 at 8:40 pm

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement Paul! You both must be very excited. πŸ™‚ I’ve heard of the Hour Shower but haven’t looked much into it, I’ll put it on the list of things to investigate. πŸ™‚ Best of luck on your build!

9. Dawn in Michigan on December 7, 2019 at 11:44 am

Even camping in the same locations, there’s always something different to notice and discuss. And you’re right, not all of us have read all your previous posts. I say, don’t worry about it being the same location, keep on posting! I’m curious, in the rig you have now…do you use an ice chest? Or just not eat refrigerated food? Nov was a long month to be out in a remote location, did you go into a town once a week or something different, for groceries?

• Becky on December 7, 2019 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for voting Dawn!

Yes, I have a cooler that I fill with ice when I make a big grocery run, which is about once a week. The ice doesn’t last the full week, so I plan my purchases so that I use all my refrigerated goods before it melts. πŸ™‚

10. Ronda on December 7, 2019 at 9:32 am

Please do post about places you have been previously. I enjoy hearing what you’re doing even in those. Also, I really like your new hairstyle!

• Becky on December 7, 2019 at 8:37 pm

Thanks for responding Ronda, and for the compliment!

11. Darren Elrod on December 7, 2019 at 8:51 am

We have stayed at the same camps sites with different living arrangement eg. tents, pickup overhead, large travel trailers. Each one still has its difference in how we enjoyed the experience and how much time we had to pursue things due to what we were staying in. So you staying in same spot is different because of your trailer. Would still love to hear about the differences you have noticed staying in a different living condition! Take care Becky!

• Becky on December 7, 2019 at 8:35 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Darren!

12. Rhonda Markham on December 7, 2019 at 8:49 am

As with others, I so enjoy reading about your adventures, and your thoughts behind them, no matter where you are. Every view is newly seen. As a small trailer enthusiast I particularly enjoy your thoughts and feelings about living in a small space and how that impacts choices in daily living. Thank you for sharing your life via this blog and I look forward to the release of your new book.

• Becky on December 7, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Thanks Rhonda and I’m glad you’re still enjoying IO!

13. DJ on December 7, 2019 at 8:38 am

I would be interested in any and all of your travels – including places you have already written about. I am also excited about your new book and will order a copy as soon as it is available. Thank you for sharing your adventures!

• Becky on December 7, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Aww, thanks DJ! I can’t wait to get it out in the world. You’re welcome, and thank you for weighing in!

14. Martha Goudey on December 7, 2019 at 8:33 am

I’m confident that you will make any post interesting. For one thing I may have read about those places three years ago or two years ago…but a refresher is good. And for newbies, they get to learn new places. A will win.

• Becky on December 7, 2019 at 8:33 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Martha!

15. Jon Paulson on December 7, 2019 at 7:50 am

Yes, I’d still like to hear about the places where you boondock like the other folks who have commented here. My wife and I are renting a trailer in Arizona for the month of February. I just retired and it will be a new experience for us. We decided not to drive our RV down from Wisconsin this time but explore for that possibility in the future. I always enjoy reading about the various places you stay and it’s great to know what to expect about the weather and how close or far you are from services. Thank you!

• Becky on December 7, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Thanks for the response Jon! I hope you enjoy your time in Arizona and you’re welcome. πŸ™‚

16. Y Knowles on December 7, 2019 at 5:47 am

Anything you write about is interesting! Old places, new places. I like to read it all.

• Rena McClain on December 7, 2019 at 8:19 am

Even if you are camping at places you have been before, there will be new experiences, changes from the first time. You were in Cas then, now in Tribble. What changes does that bring even in familiar haunts? I am staying put in an LTVA in Quartzsite this year versus moving every 2 weeks. Same area, new experiences. Life is both the same and ever changing with the nomadic life. Hope to see you in person again!!

• Becky on December 7, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Thanks Y and Rena for weighing in!

17. Paula Frazee on December 6, 2019 at 7:09 pm

I would still really enjoy information on specific campsites – and their pluses and minuses. It would also be helpful to mention the nearest places for laundry, groceries, and etc.

• Becky on December 7, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Thanks for sharing Paula!

• KJ on December 8, 2019 at 4:08 pm

I enjoy your writing and don’t mind talking about the same sites. However the most I enjoy is the ‘how’. Like how do you do things. For example, campsite selection, cooking, laundry, staying healthy and clean, maintenance etc. Maybe even working on the road. So challenges and your way of solving them. Plus how did you last so long. Mental stamina and keeping it interesting. What things you wish you did differently..