Back in the US

Oh look, an update! Yes, I’m alive. Yes, I’m fine. No, I’m not quitting IO. Yes, that was a long break without posting. Why? Short answer: I feel it would be irresponsible to travel the way I like to travel right now due to the ongoing pandemic situation. And when I’m not traveling, inspiration to write about it is in short supply. Long answer: It’s more complicated than just that, and maybe I’ll write about it one day when inspiration strikes. But that’s the gist of it.

As for a timeline, planes started flying out of Costa Rica in mid May.

A journey that took 18 hours pre-COVID took four days post COVID, but I made it back to Bertha and Tribble on May 19th and miracle of all miracles, there were absolutely no issues with the bus/ferry/plane/taxi rides along the way. And, Bertha started right up when I turned the key after four and a half months of sitting in a storage lot in Phoenix, AZ.

After picking up my sweet, sweet little home on wheels, I spent two weeks self-quarantining in a remote boondocking spot near Flagstaff to make sure I hadn’t picked up the virus on the extended trip home. I hadn’t.

After that, I drove straight to my parent’s house in Wisconsin, where I’m now helping my dad paint the house.

That’s it. That’s the past three months in a nutshell.

Maybe now that I’ve broken the long silence, posts will start flowing again. Or maybe the extended break will continue a while longer. I really don’t know. But you all deserved an update, so here it is. 🙂 I hope you’re well, wherever you are and whatever you’re doing. Here’s to a better second half of 2020.

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Escaping Winter

October 15, 2013 |

My last sunset at the Badlands is nothing short of amazing. It’s just the right mixture of clouds and clear to make for dramatic shapes and interesting colors. Everything I can pack up is packed, so there’s nothing else to do but walk the grounds I have called home for the past almost six months…

Southbound

August 12, 2016 |

August 9, Tuesday My time at the employee campground at Old Faithful is up. It’s time to leave Yellowstone and head on to new adventures. Bertha chugs over Craig Pass and down the other side, crossing the continental divide three times on the way to Grand Teton National Park. Sunday’s storms are well gone and…

Hiking and Driving

February 27, 2018 |

The middle of February finds me at Anza-Borrego State Park in southern California boondocking with several other Xscapers who are still in the area after the Annual Bash in Quartzsite last month. Feb 14, Wednesday It’s been far too long since my last good hike! In the afternoon, a group of us pile into vehicles…

1. Kevin on July 24, 2020 at 9:26 am

Like many of the others on here, I am glad that you are home and well and safe. I like reading your posts so I hope the “writing bug” strikes again soon. I agree with Quinn in that I am sure if you wrote about painting the house it would be a great article. Onward and upward!

2. Mark and Mary Turner on July 19, 2020 at 10:19 am

Hi Becky, glad you are back safe and healthy. We are hiding out out from the Covid 19 in Michigan’s UP. Very little virus here. Be safe.

3. Quinn on July 14, 2020 at 10:58 am

So glad to hear you are doing well! I enjoy everything you write, even if it is not about RV travel. If you write a detailed essay about painting the house I’m sure it would be excellent 😁

4. RAGBRAIrider on July 13, 2020 at 8:43 pm

Glad you are safe & healthy. Keep well in body, mind & spirit. So hope we-all. Peace.

5. Ruth on July 11, 2020 at 5:13 pm

So glad you posted an update. I am glad you made it back to the US, aren’t sick, and have a place to ride out the plague. I’ll be here when you are back to blogging – be it weekly, daily, or less often. I enjoy your writing and travels. Stay safe!

6. francis garlits on July 9, 2020 at 12:03 pm

very glad to hear from you on your travels I envy you on your freedom to pick up and go almost anywhere you desire, this year has been very scary for alot of folks hopefully thing will turn around soon, g-so glad you are ok as a father of 4 girls worry is a big part of being a parent, im sure your dad worries too. you take care and get out to see as much of gods earth you can, take life one day at a time fran

7. Becky on July 8, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Again thanks for all the kind words everyone. 🙂 It’s good to hear from you all!

8. Mary on July 8, 2020 at 2:31 pm

I am glad you made it home ok. Welcome home to Wisconsin 🙂 How do you like the heat we have been having lately? Of course you are probably used to Costa Rica heat by now lol. Thanks for the update, and may you and your family stay safe and healthy.

9. Laura on July 7, 2020 at 5:17 pm

Nice to hear from you. We are doing about the same thing as you, staying with family and helping with home improvement projects. This is our plan for the foreseeable future. Glad you are healthy and safe.

Strange times we are in!

10. Darren on July 7, 2020 at 3:36 pm

I’m so glad your ok!!! was wondering about you. I have been working in a big hospital during the pandemic and also part time on a rural Ambulance service. So I have seen the bad -the worse- and the miracles. I am so glad that you and your family are healthy and safe. Now,,,, if the world can just come together as a group with a common goal of getting along and working together for the end of this virus and violence,,,,, maybe we can start traveling again and have you bless us with your wonderful adventures! Please take care and I once again I am so glad you are well!!!

11. SwankieWheels on July 7, 2020 at 3:35 pm

Welcome Home. Happy you are safe.

12. Becky on July 7, 2020 at 2:48 pm

Thank you all for the kind words. Haven’t responded to each comment individually but I’ve read them all and appreciate you all for sticking around. 🙂

13. Terri on July 7, 2020 at 12:57 pm

Welcome home.

14. Larry Newman on July 7, 2020 at 12:40 pm

Sounds exciting, comparatively… Qday#113 here,cand a personal best…5 weeks between grocery runs, no deliveries. Planning / hoping for an October snowbird liftoff.

• Anita Simmons on July 10, 2020 at 10:05 am

Thank you for the update. I have gone all the way back to your first blog posts, and started reading. It will keep me in fun reading material for quite a while. I would love to read about your time at Wild Sun and your travels, back to the States and to your parents. You have been posting and blogging a long time and deserve a break. I know most of us will be here when you get inspired in the future. Living in Kansas City, Missouri, through this pandemec has made me appreciate a lot of things, I used to take for granted. Our house went from empty nest, to multi-generational, over the last year and a half. Enjoy your parents, and stay well.

15. Royce Fine on July 7, 2020 at 12:32 pm

Glad to hear that you’re ok and back safe.

16. Alan Swank on July 7, 2020 at 10:35 am

I was thinking about you the other day and wondering if you were okay. I was happy to see your email update pop up with an update.
    I am glad you are helping your parents. I am sure they appreciate the visit and the help.
    Safe travels and good health to you and your family.

17. Stan on July 7, 2020 at 8:36 am

If you will paint for a place to stay I will send address.

• Becky on July 7, 2020 at 2:45 pm

Haha, I’m good Stan but thanks. 😀

18. Monica Stel on July 7, 2020 at 8:26 am

Glad to hear you’re well. Strange times. Find RV community really helpful and accommodating. Am staying put in PNW – who knows what and when for the future-for now just grateful.

19. Jerry Minchey on July 7, 2020 at 6:09 am

Becky, I got back from Costa Rica on July 3rd after having my flight canceled five times. Staying there for 4+ months was nice. It’s a great place to be stranded. But it’s good to be back in the U.S.

• Becky on July 7, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Glad you made it back Jerry!

20. RGupnorth on July 7, 2020 at 5:28 am

Good to hear you made it out and back – most people are limiting their travel right now – although there have been some getting cabin fever and taking the opportunity to get away for a short diversion. Pretty hot in the mid-west right now – hotter than some of the western states you would normally visit – take care and I am sure you will find something to write about.

21. Norm H. on July 7, 2020 at 4:56 am

Whew! Good to see an update from you. My DW and I were just discussing what might have happened to you over the past months. Glad to know all is well as can be under the circumstances. I’m sure many of us would enjoy a summary of your time in Costa Rica at the sanctuary as well as a description of the trip back to the States-when you feel like sharing of course. In the meantime, happy painting. Hope you can get out and “adventure” some in Wisconsin and maybe Michigan’s U.P., at least. Stay safe, stay healthy. Wishing the best for you.

22. Mary Klepper on July 7, 2020 at 4:54 am

Glad you’re safe. Thanks for the update. Look forward to you sharing your experiences in Costa Rica. Travel sure has changed in this new Covid world. Take Care

23. Bob on July 6, 2020 at 4:45 pm

Looking forward to hearing more when you get inspired.

24. Linda Sand on July 6, 2020 at 4:17 pm

Glad you are back and well. I missed you. I’m glad your parents are no longer missing you.

25. Becky on July 6, 2020 at 1:28 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone! I appreciate you all sticking around through the radio silence. 🙂

• Rusty on July 7, 2020 at 6:51 am

Glad your back and made it home. I had just made a note to see if I could find a post from you. I hunkered down in New Mexico but did visit family in Texas Father’s Day tested positive upon return and am now waiting for a Negative result to get out of quarantine – fortunately only had mild case but have been living out of my van parked inside a garage – Costa Rica sounds much better. 😀

• Becky on July 7, 2020 at 2:43 pm

Yikes Rusty! Glad to hear it was mild.

• David Michael on July 7, 2020 at 10:13 am

Great update and report. Good to learn all is well. It’s a bit wacko in the States depending on work situation. Now that we changed from full-timers to cozy apt living, we have lots of flexibility, we use our converted Promaster van for camping trips. Most campgrounds in Oregon are now open but that could change.
      Wishing you the best during this crazy Pandemic era. Happy Travels!

• Virginia on July 7, 2020 at 7:38 pm

Thanks for checking in. I’m glad you’re ok.

26. Jan Hoesly on July 6, 2020 at 1:08 pm

Glad you finally made it back safely and healthy. How nice that you can spend time with your mom and dad. Bet they really appreciate the painting help! Take good care during this ever changing world we live in.

27. joyce on July 6, 2020 at 12:58 pm

Welcome home! Enjoy your break from social media – I’ll be here when you decide to re-post.

28. Linda M Pierson on July 6, 2020 at 12:54 pm

I’m glad you’re at your parents home, safe and sound. And thanks for the update.

29. Annie Wynn on July 6, 2020 at 12:33 pm

Oh, Becky, I totally get this. My six-week break in Florida has turned into 4.5 months as I tried to wait out the pandemic. Now, it’s worse than ever here, and combined with the summer heat and humidity, I’ll be heading out soon. It’s been tough not only to be a full-timer but also a blogger; hard to write about being stuck in one place! Hope you’re enjoying time with family in WI.