Hello everyone! As you’ve probably guessed, I’m pretty much done with IO. There’s a chance I’ll want to come back and blog again someday, but as it’s been almost a year since my last post and that hasn’t happened yet, that chance grows slim.

For everyone who’s wondered about me, I’ve been fine. I hope I haven’t worried you.

November 2020, Montana

I always said I’d keep traveling full-time and sharing my experiences until I found something I wanted to do more, and, well, I’ve found something I want to do more. 🙂 Change can be sad, but it’s an important part of life.

Thank you all for an amazing nine years on IO. This blog and community changed my life and I will always cherish those memories. I wish you all the very best, wherever you are. I’m so glad to have met you all and been a part of your life, whether that was entertainment through reading about my adventures and misadventures, or as a guide to help you on your own path to becoming a nomad or just living life on your own terms.

October 2020, northern Utah

I hope you never stop growing. Or traveling.

My role as teacher in this field is ending, but there are still a lot of great people out there carrying on. Becoming an RV nomad is as popular as ever, is still a viable and rewarding way to live, and while I am not currently on the road full-time, I am still enjoying time spent in nature with Tribble and Bertha. If you ever see me on the road, be sure to wave.

On the set for Nomadland with cast and crew, now that I can finally talk about it. Yep, I was in it

There are a few logistical things I should address.

I suspended the IO patreon page today, it will close soon. No one will get billed anymore, I’ll keep that content up for another week or two if any current patrons want to grab any wallpaper or anything before it all goes away. Thank you all current and past patrons for your support of my work here. For the last few years, you’re the ones who made it possible to pour my heart and soul into helping people hit the road. And for that, I thank you.

The PayPal donate link in the footer of all the pages on IO will remain for now. Even with no new posts, this website is still a treasure trove of information and inspiration that I’d like to keep available to new and aspiring RVers for as long as I can. But with hundreds of blog posts containing thousands of photos, web hosting isn’t cheap for a site this large.

February 2021, Yellowstone in winter at last!

The guides will remain available for sale, but the PDF option is going away. If you’re interested in one, they’re still available from Amazon in both paperback and kindle format. That way Amazon handles payment, delivery, and support, and it’s hands-off for me.

The Mailing List is going away. No point in paying for a mailing list service with no new blog posts to send, haha. All the widgets to sign up for the mailing list on IO should be gone now, but if you happen to find one hiding somewhere, do let me know in the comments. For those of you reading this from the mailing list e-mail, this will be the last one you get.

Winter bison

The Contact form has been disabled. I mentioned on the contact form page some months ago that the only e-mails I’d be responding to were ones related to issues with PDF guide purchases, but now that I’ve stopped selling the PDF version, that won’t be an problem anymore. Thank you everyone who’s contacted me over the past nine years and shared you stories and life with me. It’s been a privilege, but I hope you understand that I need to reclaim that time for other things now.

I think that’s it. I think I’m done.

Safe travels and happy trails friends, until we meet again. 🙂

Other Articles You Might Enjoy

Odds and Ends

May 8, 2012 |

I’m done with work for the day. It was cool and comfortable enough to eat lunch outside at the picnic table, and now a light breeze blows through the Casita while I type this up and watch the mid-afternoon goings on in the campground. It is a good day. It was very surreal, coming back…

Thinking Out Loud

July 27, 2012 |

Yesterday I did a good bit of thinking about what day I should give as my last at The Job. I need to be in Coffeyville on the 28th of September, and I’d like to get South Dakota residency set up before then. The current tentative plan has me off work by September 13, which…

Sometimes

November 24, 2011 |

Sometimes, I struggle to do things that seem so easy to others, and I feel frustrated. Sometimes, I look at what everyone else has and I don’t, and I feel jealous. Sometimes, I think of how much time I waste trying to put it all together, and I feel angry. Sometimes, I worry that my…

1. Cliff on June 28, 2021 at 5:34 am

Hey Becky, very sad to see you leaving; you were one of the first and best. The intersection between wandering and Youtube has become so commercial now; there’s not so much room for the people who just want to enjoy outdoors. You were authentic, smart and funny, and damn it, I will miss you! But that’s the selfish side; the better side says kindest regards, continue with your hobby of swinging old socks with a heavy weight inside, and best wishes in everything you pursue!

2. michael o'brien on June 16, 2021 at 7:53 pm

I relied on your site when we took a year to boondock around north america and have recommended your blog to anyone interested. Here’s to new adventures!

3. Annie on June 14, 2021 at 8:30 pm

Becky, your blog was such a help and an inspiration in my early days as a nomad. (It’s been five years now, and, yeah, I’m still learning!) I’m happy you’ve found a path forward that fills your soul. Enjoy it! And thank you for all you’ve done for me and for so many others following in your footsteps out here.

4. Terry H on June 14, 2021 at 11:40 am

I’ve been checking back every now and then to see if there was an update from you and surprise, today there was one. Thanks for letting us know you are ok and just changing course! I will miss your writing, you have a talent there. Best wishes for a happy and contented life!

5. Robert Field on June 14, 2021 at 11:36 am

Thank you for taking us on your journey. In it we saw places most of us will never see.
    Be safe and happy. We will be here if you post again. if not thanks again for the ride.

6. Paul & Mary on June 13, 2021 at 5:59 pm

Thanks Becky, your blog was a delight to read, it always taught us something new each time it came out. We’ll miss your carefully chosen words and rare insight. Enjoy your future.

7. Steve Kaeseman on June 13, 2021 at 2:36 pm

As the saying goes, Fair Winds and Following Seas, it’s been a pleasure reading about your adventures.
    I really appreciate all the helpful advice and funny stories over the years.
    Happy to hear you are doing well and you have found new things that call to your heart.
    Change is awesome and may your new changes be bountiful and fulfilling until the next changes come along.
    God Bless you and yours until the end of times.
    Respectfully,
    S. Kaeseman

8. Jodee Gravel on June 13, 2021 at 1:52 pm

Glad you’re well and on to new adventures. How exciting to be a part of an academy award winning film – good on you! Best wishes for a happy and purposeful life.

9. Jamie Feinberg on June 13, 2021 at 7:13 am

Your blog was one of the very first I found when I had a dream telling me to buy a used RV and travel the US. It’s been five years on the road and we are now wrapping up and moving to Canada while my husband goes back to school. Excited for apartment living, but sad to sell our class C home. Thanks for continued inspiration. I’m so glad you’re okay, and thrilled for you that you’ve found something or someone (or both) worth pursuing. Wishing you all the best.

10. Mary on June 12, 2021 at 10:50 pm

Best of luck on your new journey 🙂 I will miss your posts and videos.

11. RoseMarie Reade on June 12, 2021 at 8:32 pm

Hi Becky,
    Well I am glad for you have found something or someone that has anchored your traveling searching soul. Change is good and I am glad I was part of your seeking journey. I wish you the best.
    Regards and wishes blooming.

12. Becky on June 12, 2021 at 8:23 pm

So many lovely comments! Can’t respond to them all individually but just know I’m reading every single one. 🙂 Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Sorry, but I won’t be talking about what I’m up to these days. I’m enjoying having more privacy after years of sharing everywhere I went and everything I did with the internet. But know that I’m happy. Not every day of course, this is reality not a fairytale, haha! But overall, life is good. Take care, and be kind to one another.

• Renee on June 13, 2021 at 8:28 pm

Bittersweet news Becky. I was glad to read an update from you… I would check your site often, waiting to read about your adventure during, after pandemic! I will always be appreciative of the things that you have shared- jobs, travels, knowledge, etc.
      Continued happiness, peace and adventure!!

Take care

13. Joanne M on June 12, 2021 at 7:44 pm

Thank you for all the years of hard work. May you find peace and happiness on your next life adventure.

14. Kathleen Thorman on June 12, 2021 at 7:20 pm

Thanks Becky! We’ve never met and I have commented just a few times but over the last year I have checked for a post from you more often than not. You have a great writing style and I have enjoyed reading every one of your posts. My husband and I bought an RV in October of last year. Traveling across the country to get one that is new to us. Covid has changed our choice to part time instead of full time as we had planned but it’s all good. Good Luck on your new adventure!

Another Texas Traveller

15. Ellen on June 12, 2021 at 7:16 pm

Becky — Another voice here in the chorus of “We’ll miss you!!!” and “Best of everything to you!” Whatever comes next for you, I hope it brings you fulfillment and joy 🙂

16. Kathi Foy on June 12, 2021 at 4:52 pm

Thanks for being a part of my nomadic life. Best of luck with your new adventures.

17. Christina on June 12, 2021 at 4:05 pm

I’m glad you’re doing well. I’ve enjoyed your travels and hope all the best for you. Take every opportunity to be happy.

18. Pauline Klein on June 12, 2021 at 3:38 pm

I have definitely enjoyed your posts and wish you well. I as well as most others I imagine are wondering what you have found you would rather do, but your silence on this means you want privacy, so best of luck and happy trails and much happiness in your future.

19. Phil on June 12, 2021 at 3:36 pm

I agree with Quinn, you can’t run off without telling us what is next! We all care and want to know what will nourish your soul for the next while. All the best to you.

20. Mike Thomas on June 12, 2021 at 2:44 pm

Thank YOU for all your posts, pictures and inspirational thoughts and ideas. I will miss your blog and hearing of your travel ventures. I, too, was a full time RV-r for many years when I was younger. But for the last several years have remained stationary, mainly due to contracted gig that was too good to pass up that I’ve been doing for even more years. But I’m now thinking of going back out there on the road full time again with an RV etc… You’ve been partly to “blame” 😂 for that thought process and I thank you for that as well! It’s none of my or anyone’s business, but I’d love to hear what it is that you found more fun or enjoyable that’s making you give up the road life.??? No matter what, I wish you nothing but the best! Peace – Mike T.

21. Pamela Campbell on June 12, 2021 at 12:16 pm

Dearest Becky – I have been wondering about you and hoped all was good with you. I was pleased to meet you at the RTR IN 2016 or so. Your IO site helped me so much in preparing and deciding to go solo full time in my Casita. That adventure lasted for 4 1/2 years and was such a positive experience. It was so satisfying to challenge myself and experience nature and the thrill of it all. You gave me the courage to try. Thank you so much for everything! I wish you happy days and happy travels. So curious to know what you’ll be up to, and I wish you well. Hugs, Pamela 🤗

22. Anita Thompson on June 12, 2021 at 11:41 am

I have loved following your adventures.

I loved that life for almost 20 years myself, until life said, “Stop, do this instead.”
    I have referred many “oh, I would love to do that!” people to your blog.

Please write one more telling us all what you are going to do next.
    Can you at least keep a facebook page alive?

23. Ed on June 12, 2021 at 11:16 am

Still remember my wife and I meeting you for ice cream here in Quartzsite. I say “here” because we bought a place here. Its not a good time to be here weatherwise, but we’re finishing up a construction project before hitting the road. The world is sure a different place and time surely marches on. Good luck to you with anything you will be doing. We enjoyed the ride.

24. Cinn on June 12, 2021 at 11:06 am

Thank you Becky, for your gifts to the world. Wishing you happiness, success, and FUN in all your future endeavors. How perfect that you got to be part of that deeply beautiful film, Nomadland. It sure has me thinking about my life on the road…

25. Steve K on June 12, 2021 at 10:49 am

Thank you Becky for all the time you spent providing the great content for all of us.
    Best wishes.

26. Swankie on June 12, 2021 at 10:41 am

I didn’t realize you were on the movie set. It was and continues to be an overwhelming experience for me but winding up at Oscars and on Red Carpet just blew my mind.

Good luck in your future endeavors, whatever they might be. I am trying to figure out my path post Nomadland.

Best regards,
    Swankie

27. Terri on June 12, 2021 at 10:34 am

Becky, your ears must have been ringing yesterday because I was just talking to someone about you and the wealth of information you provided through your blog and your books. I figured something was up — i hadn’t seen you on Fb in a while either. I know that you always think things through so you didn’t jump into whatever you’re going to do now, willy nilly. As someone said to me, never be afraid to change things up to be happy and to grow. That is what I wish for you, my friend.

28. Rob on June 12, 2021 at 10:05 am

Good luck with whatever it is that you’re doing now!

29. mike on June 12, 2021 at 9:08 am

Thanks Becky.
    You were one of my first people I followed when I had decided to go full time.
    Been on the road since November 2014.

Happy Trails,

–Mike

30. Jethro on June 12, 2021 at 8:59 am

You were an early pioneer of this lifestyle and countless others benefited from your efforts. Best of luck going forward and God-bless!

31. Mike on June 12, 2021 at 8:57 am

Thanks Becky.
    When I first started full timing, in November 2014, I did not know where to go first. I had been following you for a while and so I headed to Sparks Nevada for my first three months. You where there working for Amazon. I loved it and I never looked back. Thanks for your inspiration and practical advice.

Happy Trails,

–Mike

32. Gary Bryant on June 12, 2021 at 7:46 am

Glad to hear you are OK. Thanks for taking us on your journey. Best wishes for you in your future adventures, whatever they may be.

33. Larry Newman on June 12, 2021 at 7:13 am

Happy journeys…

34. Dan Kelley on June 12, 2021 at 6:47 am

Best wishes and thank you for sharing your stories, your adventures and your life.

35. Rodney McKnight on June 12, 2021 at 6:28 am

Take care Becky…thanks for the journey!

36. GKLott on June 12, 2021 at 6:04 am

Glad to hear you are well. Best wishes. May your continuing journey be an adventure.

37. Yankeeflyer on June 12, 2021 at 6:02 am

Bye,bye, Becky…Thanks for sharing and thanks for participating in Nomadland.

38. Trevor Marty on June 12, 2021 at 5:52 am

It was nice to meet you and I wish you only happiness and joy.

39. Dawn King on June 12, 2021 at 5:27 am

Best wishes to you, though I will continue to miss reading about your adventures.

40. Mark Sundstrom on June 12, 2021 at 5:16 am

A very classy final post! I started following you from near the beginning initially because we both owned a Casita. And – you wrote interesting stuff, too. We have both moved on from the Casita. Best wishes in your future adventures!
    –Mark

41. Quinn on June 12, 2021 at 5:10 am

So good to hear from you but sad that IO is finished!!! I hope the site stays up, the amount of info I learned from you over the years is invaluable. Nine years is a long time to keep a blog up and running! Pat yourself on the back for doing it all by yourself and keeping the info relevant without resorting to selling us stuff. I am curious to know what you decided to do now that you stopped traveling full time (tiny house homesteading??😆) but I get it if you don’t want to give away too much info. I feel like it is the end of camp and we are all going home! I enjoyed being an armchair traveler with you. I hope you are having fun with your new adventures! THANK YOU SO MUCH for everything you’ve done!! I will miss you!!

42. Norm H. on June 12, 2021 at 4:54 am

Thank you, Becky, for all the years of photos, travel lifestyle advice, and just plain good fun. I wish you happy trails wherever life leads you. It was in part thanks to you that my wife and I pulled the trigger almost three years ago on our 2018 Casita SD. We are still enjoying it. So, perhaps we’ll “see you on the road.” Best wishes.

• Susan L Hicks on June 12, 2021 at 8:37 am

Thank you for sharing your adventure!
      We are full-timing because you helped us learn it is possible!
      Best wishes to you on your new life!

• Swankie on June 12, 2021 at 10:39 am

Best regards,
      Swankie

43. Diane Ely on June 12, 2021 at 1:15 am

Becky: Glad to hear everything’s been OK with you this past year. We’ll definely miss IO. Hope your future endeavors turn out the way you want. All the best to you and your family.
    P.S. Regarding your appearance in Nomadland: I remember something you mentioned in passing 2-3 years ago, about being involved in a project you couldn’t reveal at that time. I always wondered what it was but figured it was some kind of media appearance that you legally couldn’t talk about until it aired. This must have been it!

44. Rosalea Barker on June 11, 2021 at 7:46 pm

Best of luck in your new adventure. I selfishly hope it is as an interpretive ranger in a State or National Park so that many more people get to experience your enthusiasm and knowledge for / of all things outdoor. God bless!